Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-12-2014

Frank Chance on the essential qualities of a good ballplayer, from the Toledo News-Bee, March 12, 1914:

Clean living is the first essential for a ball player…Be moderate in your smoking, don’t drink and go to bed early.
Get all the education you can. That is as necessary for a ball player as for a doctor or lawyer. The best students make the best ball players.

Natural ability is a most valuable asset for a ball player. Few players without natural ability ever develop into professionals and those with it are the sure stars in whatever company they play.
Individual stars who ignore the other eight men on the team are worse than worthless. They are disorganizers. Every player must work in harmony with every other player on the team.

I thought I might have a future as a ballplayer until he got to the part about natural ability. Also, the first graf in the quote is a good example of the Oxford comma’s importance.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 07:52 AM | 26 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, frank chance, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 07:54 AM (#4670021)
If today's Birthday Team could figure out how to get six outfielders on the field at the same time and avoid using middle infielders, they'd really have something. As it stands, they're already using a five-time Gold Glove winning center fielder at first base. (Murphy played nearly two full seasons as a first baseman in 1978-79.)

C: Alex Gaston
1B: Dale Murphy
2B: Felix Escalona
3B: Denny Lyons
SS: Billy Hulen
LF: Jim Wynn
CF: Steve Finley
RF: Darryl Strawberry

SP: Vern Law
SP: Reb Russell
SP: Seattle Bill James
SP: Bud Tinning
SP: Phil Knell
RP: Horacio Pina

Owner: Charles Weeghman
Manager: Larry Rothschild
Umpire: Durwood Merrill
Way too good to be benchwarmers, but stuck there anyway: Johnny Callison, Raul Mondesi, Ruppert Jones
   2. Paul D(uda) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 08:07 AM (#4670026)
And Santana's a Brave.
   3. DEF: #attentionwhore Posted: March 12, 2014 at 09:12 AM (#4670042)
Anyone out there interested in joining a Yahoo Fantasy baseball league based on linear weights scoring? this will be the third year for the league. It's a 20 team league of BBTF posters (mostly from the lounge), but we've got 3 vacancies this year. League details:

Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Scoring:
offense: AB: -0.2; H: 0.6; 2B: 0.3; 3B: 0.5; HR: 0.8; SB: 0.2; CS: -0.4; BB: 0.3
pitching: IP: 0.14; BB: -0.14; K: 0.14; HR: -0.62

1500 IP cap; 180 games per position cap.

If you're interested let me know, and I'll send you an invite. (Note: primermail doesn't work for me, so if you're interested post here and I'll primermail you the signup info)

Thanks.
   4. Chris Fluit Posted: March 12, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4670060)
Any updates on Morales or Drew? Speculation will also suffice.
   5. Davo Dozier Posted: March 12, 2014 at 09:57 AM (#4670074)
#4-- Somehow, the Mariners are said to still be interested in bringing back Morales. They must have found some trick in the rule book that lets them play 5 DHs at the same time.
   6. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM (#4670080)
Any updates on Morales or Drew? Speculation will also suffice.
Morales and Drew were in the closet making contracts and I saw one of the contracts and the contract looked at me.
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: March 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM (#4670126)
Morales and Drew were in the closet making contracts and I saw one of the contracts and the contract looked at me.

It occurred to me recently that the Simpsons joke which you are referencing may be dirtier than I originally realized.
   8. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM (#4670131)
Especially now that Edna's dead.
   9. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM (#4670143)
I have a random question: In a recent discussion on an Orioles board, one poster was very critical of the team's off-season moves, particularly giving up draft picks for Jimenez and Cruz, and said that Duquette should have been more creative. After he was pressed to provide an example of a more creative strategy, he said that he would have traded Wieters for prospects and then signed McCann and a couple other FAs. I'll grant that that's creative, but can anyone think of a real life example of a potential contender trading a core player for prospects and then signing the biggest name FA at the same position? It seemed far-fetched to say the least.
   10. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 12, 2014 at 11:59 AM (#4670208)
The Phillies trading Cliff Lee and then signing Roy Halladay was kind of like that.

The Orioles would need to get a truly amazing package of prospects, like J.C. Ramirez, Tyson Gillies, and Phillippe Aumont.
   11. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM (#4670214)
That's an interesting example.
   12. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM (#4670235)
I would love to see the Rockies sign Morales as a platoon partner/insurance for the very iffy Justin Morneau at first base. Morales seems like the kind of hitter who would thrive in Coors Field. But that's not even speculation; it's just wishcasting.
   13. Davo Dozier Posted: March 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM (#4670256)
#10--fantastic example!

A significantly worse example would be the 2012 Red Sox trading away Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett (and then signing Mike Napoli and Ryan Dempster), but there were a ton of variables in there that don't really apply.

Another not-great one: In the 2004 offseason, the White Sox traded Carlos Lee away and then signed Jermaine Dye as a free agent to replace him. I don't remember 2004 that well, and do know that Dye was a very solid outfielder, but really doubt that he was the biggest name Free Agent outfielder that winter. (Also, the players the White Sox acquired when they traded Carlos Lee away weren't really prospects in any meaningful sense).
   14. Yeaarrgghhhh Posted: March 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM (#4670278)
I guess the White Sox got a (mediocre) CF to fill a hole by trading Lee. It does seem odd that the Brewers traded for Lee when they could have had Dye.

Edit: I forgot that Podsednik played LF. So what was the point of that? (Although it worked out pretty well of course.)
   15. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 12, 2014 at 01:06 PM (#4670294)
Edit: I forgot that Podsednik played LF. So what was the point of that? (Although it worked out pretty well of course.)
Rowand was already the CF. Pods replaced Lee and Dye replaced Magglio Ordonez. The Sox used some of the money they saved by downgrading from Lee to Podsednik to fill other holes.
   16. esseff Posted: March 12, 2014 at 01:08 PM (#4670297)
but can anyone think of a real life example of a potential contender trading a core player for prospects and then signing the biggest name FA at the same position?

Cardinals signing Darrell Porter and trading Ted Simmons?
   17. Kiko Sakata Posted: March 12, 2014 at 01:13 PM (#4670303)
I forgot that Podsednik played LF. So what was the point of that? (Although it worked out pretty well of course.)

The point was that Pods was cheaper than Lee, which enabled them to throw around some money to fill some other holes - they brought in Jermaine Dye, Tad Iguchi (2B), and AJ Pierogi that offseason. And, as you say, it worked out really well, of course. But I don't think that's an example of what you were looking for.
   18. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 12, 2014 at 01:14 PM (#4670307)
Cleveland makes its first cuts of the Spring. Nothing even remotely surprising, though it's disappointing that Francisco Lindor got sent down, if only because now I won't be able to watch him play on television.
   19. salvomania Posted: March 12, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4670352)
but can anyone think of a real life example of a potential contender trading a core player for prospects and then signing the biggest name FA at the same position?

Maybe the FA signee wasn't the biggest RF name that year (Vlad Guerrero was), but still, the Cardinals signed Reggie Sanders (coming off a 31-homer, .914-OPS season with the Pirates) to replace J.D. Drew, who was traded to the Braves for prospect Adam Wainwright, among others.
   20. Anonymous Observer Posted: March 12, 2014 at 02:42 PM (#4670414)
Has anybody had any issues subscribing to MLB.tv? I've tried 3 times. The first two times, it said there was an issue with either my email address or my password. The third time it just said "Validation error".

This is for a new subscription, and not a renewal.

Thanks in advance.
   21. Walt Davis Posted: March 12, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4670559)
I think they signed Halladay then almost immediately traded Lee ... which, even if I'm right, is just nitpicking. It's a very good example.

Not an offseason move, but the Red Sox trading Nomar to the Cubs and getting OCab is somewhat similar. The Ms foolishly signed Aurilia then foolishly traded Carlos Guillen for nothing. I don't recall what led to them having "too much pitching" but the Sox trade of Arroyo is kinda similar. I suppose any team that trades away a starter because they have "too much pitching" kinda qualifies.

I suspect we could find a number of examples where a young ML-ready prospect was moved after getting blocked by an FA signing -- could happen to Nick Franklin; probably would have happened to Howard if Thome hadn't gotten hurt.
   22. Poster Nutbag Posted: March 12, 2014 at 06:35 PM (#4670612)
#3 - I am quite interested.
   23. DEF: #attentionwhore Posted: March 12, 2014 at 08:43 PM (#4670662)
Primer mail sent, poster nut bag. Check the email you used to set up your account here - be sure to check the spam filter.
   24. Leroy Kincaid Posted: March 13, 2014 at 08:28 AM (#4670759)
#3 - How about me?
   25. DEF: #attentionwhore Posted: March 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM (#4670845)
LK: primermail sent - check your email (including spam folder)
   26. Leroy Kincaid Posted: March 13, 2014 at 08:24 PM (#4671212)
DEF: No luck.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.