Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-13-2014

New York Tribune, March 13, 1914:

The Chinese baseball team of Hawaii, which arrived [in San Francisco]...on the steamer Honolulan, owes its escape from spending the night in the detention station on Angel Island principally to the prowess of En Suey, an outfielder.

The immigration officials were deaf to protest that the players were native born American citizens, that eight were voters and six members of the Hawaiian National Guard. “We’re sorry,” said the officials, “but these men are Mongolians and must undergo the usual examination.”

Then it was pointed out that En Suey was known as “Ty Cobb the second,” whereupon the officials relented, and the players were permitted to come ashore.

I don’t know why this stuff surprises me anymore, but this stuff always surprises me.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: March 13, 2014 at 09:18 AM | 7 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: March 13, 2014 at 09:21 AM (#4670781)
The top two Birthday Team pitchers in terms of career appearances are submariners. So that's certainly...something.

Also, I've given Bus Clarkson the nod at shortstop over Mike Aviles. Aviles is a perfectly okay player and Clarkson only had 25 career MLB at-bats, but Clarkson was also an African-American who happened to play in the 1940s and 1950s. It's probably safe to assume, given what we know about the pace of integration and the fact that Clarkson destroyed pitching everywhere he went, that his career was unfairly held back.

C: Patsy Gharrity
1B: Will Clark
2B: Mariano Duncan
3B: Home Run Baker
SS: Bus Clarkson
LF: Duane Walker
CF: Cliff Mapes
RF: Harlin Pool

SP: Johan Santana
SP: Eric Erickson
SP: Terry Leach
SP: Charlie Bartson
SP: Mal Eason
RP: Scott Sullivan

Owner: C. Arnholt Smith
Umpire: Doug Harvey
AAGPBL Outfielder and Casey Candaele's Mom: Helen Callaghan
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 13, 2014 at 09:28 AM (#4670790)
A's to get public funding for stadium renovations....for their spring training home.
   3. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM (#4670841)
Clarkson played third his first year of affiliated minor league ball (as a 35-year-old) but moved to short his second year. He either replaced Johnny Logan when Logan was called up or he was making room for Billy Klaus and a couple of weeks in AAA for Eddie Mathews. Today I learned that the Boston Braves AAA team was in Milwaukee then and their AA team was in Atlanta.
   4. DEF: hates freedom Posted: March 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM (#4670847)
(apologies for spamming the dugout everyday, but I'm still getting people expressing interest. A few more days at most and I'll stop)

Anyone out there interested in joining a Yahoo Fantasy baseball league based on linear weights scoring? this will be the third year for the league. It's a 20 team league of BBTF posters (mostly from the lounge), but we've got 1-2 vacancies this year. League details:

Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Scoring:
offense: AB: -0.2; H: 0.6; 2B: 0.3; 3B: 0.5; HR: 0.8; SB: 0.2; CS: -0.4; BB: 0.3
pitching: IP: 0.14; BB: -0.14; K: 0.14; HR: -0.62

1500 IP cap; 180 games per position cap.

If you're interested let me know, and I'll send you an invite. (Note: primermail doesn't work for me, so if you're interested post here and I'll primermail you the signup info)

Thanks.
   5. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 13, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4670956)
Matt Eddy of BA: The Quest To Gain Platoon Advantage Takes A Left Turn. Looks at LOOGYs and their impact on offense.
   6. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 13, 2014 at 01:34 PM (#4670976)
D-Backs R5 pick Marcos Mateo returned to the Cubs.
   7. Walt Davis Posted: March 13, 2014 at 07:40 PM (#4671192)
From the link in #5:

the seven-man bullpens of today can easily accommodate surplus lefty relievers.

A good article but I wouldn't say the above. They all manage to do it but not "easily." The average NL team used up 500 relief innings last year. Spread across 7 bullpen slots, that's over 70 IP per slot. Reserving a slot, much less two, for a LOOGY pitching 40 innings (Lopez, Logan) requires pushing 5 more innings each onto the other slots. (Note, very few relievers hit the 70 IP mark -- only 35 last year -- bullpens are maintained via massive churn.)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.