Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-13-2018

Bridgeport Times, March 13, 1918:

The mystery as to why Harold Ruel of the Yanks was nicknamed “Muddy” was explained by [Yankees team secretary] Harry Sparrow, who says it is because Ruel’s uniform while at Memphis was always the color of the Missouri, part of the Mississippi river. He never had his unirofm washed while on a hitting streak, and, as he always hit well, the flannels never saw any water.

Bill James mentions a completely different story in the Historical Baseball Abstract, in which a baseball splattered mud all over Ruel’s face when he was a kid. Your guess is as good as mine as to which is true.

Also in the linked article, railroad workers wouldn’t let Benny Kauff take both his clothes and his bats to spring training, so he took the clothes and left the bats. On one hand, it seems crazy that a ballplayer who’s obsessive about hitting would intentionally leave his bats behind. But on the other hand, they were probably cheaper to replace than a trunk full of suits.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 09:50 AM | 40 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 09:54 AM (#5637227)
A heck of a Birthday Team today. Two great Negro Leagues players (Oms and Clarkson), two corner infielders who combine for nearly 120 career WAR, and Johan Santana atop the rotation. The pitching's pretty thin past Johan - number two starter Terry Leach is mostly a reliever who happened to start a couple dozen games - but they've got some pieces to work with.

C: Patsy Gharrity (6.23 WAR)
1B: Will Clark (56.18 WAR)
2B: Luis Aguayo (2.83 WAR)
3B: Home Run Baker (62.77 WAR)
SS: Bus Clarkson (-0.15 WAR)
LF: Mariano Duncan (5.55 WAR)
CF: Alejandro Oms (0 WAR, Negro Leagues/Cuban great)
RF: Mike Aviles (6.11 WAR)

SP: Johan Santana (51.44 WAR)
SP: Terry Leach (10.19 WAR)
SP: Eric Erickson (3.4 WAR)
SP: Charlie Bartson (1.81 WAR)
SP: Ralph Glaze (1.33 WAR)
RP: Scott Sullivan (6.7 WAR)

AAGPBL player/Casey Candaele's mom: Helen Callaghan
Fun names: Bruno Block, Chappie McFarland, Chippy Gaw
Not that one: Joe Walsh
NPB legend: Randy Bass
Owner: C. Arnholt Smith
Umpire: Doug Harvey
   2. BDC Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5637252)
So, catching up with baseball films, I finally watched as much as I could take of Trouble with the Curve (2012). Somebody had mentioned that it was not good when it came to baseball details. This is true, but mostly as a symptom of larger issues with its screenwriting.

At one point, Amy Adams overhears a random guy saying "Jair Jurrjens just pitched a no-hitter." She turns and expresses surprise; the guy says that Jurrjens was blowing them away that night. She informs him that this cannot be so; he's a crafty junkballer who "makes his living on the corners." Who has conversations like that?

Is she doubting that he threw a no-hitter? But why would you doubt that kind of statement of fact? Much stranger things have happened. (Jurrjens never did throw a no-hitter, but he threw a one-hitter once.)

Is she doubting that he was "blowing people away?" But that's a subjective statement that anybody might utter, if they'd just watched a no-hitter. The guy hadn't insisted "Jurrjens was throwing 106mph tonight."

Maybe the point of the scene was to show the audience how clever she was about baseball. It ended up showing how disagreeable she was, and how awkward the script.

It's not a good movie, but I was a little relieved to see that Clint Eastwood hadn't directed it. Whatever his politics, Eastwood knows how to tell a story on film, and chooses good scripts to direct. Here he was just along for the ride to play Adams' irascible father: kind of phoning in his performance, but that's the kind of film it is.
   3. The Ghost of Logan Schafer Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:34 AM (#5637258)
Will Clark's sweet swing.
   4. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5637282)
At one point, Amy Adams overhears a random guy saying "Jair Jurrjens just pitched a no-hitter." She turns and expresses surprise; the guy says that Jurrjens was blowing them away that night. She informs him that this cannot be so; he's a crafty junkballer who "makes his living on the corners." Who has conversations like that?

Also there are plenty of people who actually threw no-hitters so why make up that Jair Jurrjens threw a no-hitter when he didn't? I would have liked to have been in the room when they were discussing which pitcher they should invent a no-hitter on behalf of. Like what were the names that got rejected?
   5. crict Posted: March 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM (#5637293)
Clarkson was also very good. He was born just late enough to have a cup of coffee in the majors at age 37, but too early to have any meaningful career. He hit ,408 with 31 homeruns in 88 games in a very strong "outlaw" Quebec Provincial League in 1948.

EDIT: you did mention Clarkson. My apology.
   6. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 13, 2018 at 12:10 PM (#5637314)
Just noticed that Jurrjens bb-ref picture shows him in a Rockies cap. He made two starts for Colorado, giving up 11 runs in 9 and a third innings. Maybe that's why Amy Adams was scoffing at him.

Most no-hitters are thrown by power pitchers, but Phil Niekro had one, Burt Hooton threw one, Fernando Valenzuela threw one when he was in his crafty lefty phase. Mark Buehrle threw two of them.
   7. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 13, 2018 at 12:15 PM (#5637319)
Terry Mulholland too. I bet we could find a ton of other examples.
   8. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM (#5637326)
Speaking of no-hitters, I have learned that Eric Milton, possibly the greatest baseball player in University of Maryland history, has endowed the Terps with this great clubhouse, and is the coach at Severna Park High School, where his son was named this year's player of the year in both the Baltimore and Annapolis newspapers. Kody Milton will of course be going to the University of Maryland, having committed early in his 10th grade season.
   9. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5637337)
Mariano Duncan's page shows him in a Mets cap. He played his last major league game in 1997, then spent 1998 in Japan and was with the Mets for Spring Training in 1999. They released him at the end of the spring, and that was his Mets tenure.
   10. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 13, 2018 at 01:39 PM (#5637369)
College baseball has begun! How is your team doing? Pitt is 11-4, their best start since 2002, after racking up wins against some of the worst teams South Carolina has to offer, sweeping UMass and beating St. Peter's 21-1.

St. Peter's has a Division I baseball team? The college in Jersey City? Whaddya know. They are 20-125 in the last four seasons including 0-7 this year.
   11. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 01:46 PM (#5637380)
I didn't go there, but CalTech is riding a one-game winning streak. If they can keep up their current .214 winning percentage, it would be their best season in quite a while, beating last year's .211, when they snapped a 29-year conference losing streak.
   12. BDC Posted: March 13, 2018 at 01:47 PM (#5637381)
College baseball has begun! How is your team doing?

Texas-Arlington is 4-9 after being swept in a weekend series at Wichita State.
   13. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 01:54 PM (#5637386)
St. Peter's has a Division I baseball team? The college in Jersey City? Whaddya know. They are 20-125 in the last four seasons including 0-7 this year.

My cousin actually played baseball at St. Peter's. I didn't realize they were so bad.
   14. Born1951 Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:00 PM (#5637391)
I got to thinking about ERA for a pitcher broken down by catcher, couldn't find this information anywhere. I did find the below on Greg Maddux, appears to be correct.
link
   15. Sweatpants Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5637405)
You can find it on a pitcher's splits page at Baseball-Reference.
   16. Steve N Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5637407)
University of Delaware is 8-5, but, they have not played any conference games yet so the competition has probably been spotty.
   17. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5637412)
Bowling Green is 3-13 this season. No bueno. Our most famous ballplayer was just named to the MAC Hall of Fame, so at least that's something.
   18. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:27 PM (#5637413)
BDC has already checked in on UTA and my other favorite team, Louisiana Tech, has gotten off to a 12-5 start including splitting a season-opening 4-game series at Pepperdine, a win against Cal, and what looks like handing Texas A&M their only loss of the season.
   19. Perry Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5637414)
Posnanski did a pretty hilarious takedown of Trouble With The Curve here:

http://joeposnanski.com/curveballs/

20. Tom T Posted: March 13, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5637415)
Purdue is 9-4 on the season. Unusual to be above .500 during the opening trip. Beat up on Western Michigan (which has recently featured a few kids from my son's HS), split with Notre Who?, thumped VaTech, and lost 2 of 3 to the Green Wave. Waz continues to do well with the previous coach's recruits...will be interested to see how he does *next* year when most of the team is of his own choosing.
   21. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: March 13, 2018 at 03:00 PM (#5637428)
My cousin actually played baseball at St. Peter's. I didn't realize they were so bad.

Looks like they might end up in last place in the Metro Atlantic for the fifth time in a row. Fellow traditional bottom-feeders Iona and Niagara have pulled away from them somewhat.

University of Delaware is 8-5, but, they have not played any conference games yet so the competition has probably been spotty.

Let's see, you beat Maryland once, beat Monmouth twice (one of the better teams in the Metro Atlantic), and beat Charleston Southern twice (who already have wins against Georgia and South Carolina). The three wins against Delaware State would be the suspect part.
   22. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 03:06 PM (#5637430)
USC is 9-4. That doesn't include an exhibition they lost against a Korean team named NC Dinos. Wikipedia says the league the Dinos play in allows up to three foreign players. Two of the Dino foreigners are Logan Verrett, who pitcher for the Rangers, Mets, and Orioles between 2015 and last year, and Xavier Scruggs, who played for the Cardinals and Marlins between 2014 and 2016.
   23. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 03:16 PM (#5637440)
My alma mater, Franklin College (Ind.) is off to an 8-0 start, which is getting close to the total number of victories we had during my one season of play.
   24. Born1951 Posted: March 13, 2018 at 03:41 PM (#5637446)
You can find it on a pitcher's splits page at Baseball-Reference.

Thanks! I somehow missed seeing that before.
   25. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 03:50 PM (#5637451)
My hometown newspaper has an obituary for Charlie O. Finley Jr. He wasn't a celebrity, so it's in the regular obit section. It does say he was a vice president for the A's. I think MC Hammer had that title for a while.
   26. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 05:23 PM (#5637498)
Where are you from, Batman?

I didn't realize Finley still had family here, given the "Charlie O's" ranch was sold a long time ago. The old man was a regular at the restaurant in MC where my mother-in-law used to work.
   27. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 05:50 PM (#5637518)
I grew up in Hammond. Are you around there?
   28. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 05:51 PM (#5637519)

I grew up in Hammond. Are you around there?

Yeah, I've lived in Portage since 2005.
   29. Batman Posted: March 13, 2018 at 05:55 PM (#5637523)
My girlfriend's family lives in Chicago, so I've been back there more the last couple of years. It turns out things haven't gone downhill as much as the whiny losers on Facebook say they have.
   30. AndrewJ Posted: March 13, 2018 at 06:56 PM (#5637541)
College baseball has begun! How is your team doing?

My alma mater stopped playing NCAA baseball in 1971. How's Navy doing? My great-uncle coached them in the 1920s...
   31. Mike Emeigh Posted: March 13, 2018 at 08:30 PM (#5637562)
Pitt is 11-4, their best start since 2002

1-2 in conference. The Panthers will get their first real test this weekend when they travel to Chapel Hill (although NC is off to a slow start they're usually one of the conference powers). They have a back-loaded schedule, traveling to Miami and Notre Dame and finishing with Louisville and Clemson at home.

-- MWE
   32. Walt Davis Posted: March 13, 2018 at 08:31 PM (#5637563)
Yeah, I'd just assumed Jurrjens had thrown a no-hitter. Why make up a weird detail like that? Was Jurrjens the "pitching coach" for the movie? Were there no no-hitters actually thrown in the year it supposedly took place (was this specified)?

Looking at his K-rates, they were good enough. He is 3% below league for his career but that's mainly due to his injury years with very low K-rate (and his brief rookie year). When he was healthy, he K'd around 17% in a 18.5-19% league.

Anyway, terrible movie with awful screenplay. Not historically awful nor bad enough to be funny, just boring TV movie bad.
   33. Tom T Posted: March 13, 2018 at 09:49 PM (#5637576)
My alma mater, Franklin College (Ind.) is off to an 8-0 start, which is getting close to the total number of victories we had during my one season of play.

Is your son still pitching?

Our HS just wrapped up "tryouts" (kids have been practicing 2-3 times per week since January) and cuts were to be mailed out tonight...sounds like our coach keeps all freshmen for a year and does most of his cuts at the sophomore/junior level (plus seniors, who cannot be on JV).

Also, didn't know you went to Franklin. Recently been interacting (consultant on an FDA application) with a researcher at Cinci who did his BA at Franklin (1996).
   34. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:01 PM (#5637582)
Is your son still pitching?

Yeah, he's a sophomore at Marquette in Michigan City (near Charlie O's old place). We've only got a varsity team. He pitched in about 5-6 games as a freshman. Didn't do badly, though he had to learn that if you're a freshman throwing varsity and you get a guy 0-2, don't leave one inside or the batter will just let it hit him. He had only two walks, but six HBPs last year.

Our HS just wrapped up "tryouts" (kids have been practicing 2-3 times per week since January) and cuts were to be mailed out tonight...sounds like our coach keeps all freshmen for a year and does most of his cuts at the sophomore/junior level (plus seniors, who cannot be on JV).

Is your boy at McCutcheon?

Also, didn't know you went to Franklin. Recently been interacting (consultant on an FDA application) with a researcher at Cinci who did his BA at Franklin (1996).

Would have missed him by a few years. I graduated in 1989, the wife in 92.

35. BDC Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5637594)
I'd just assumed Jurrjens had thrown a no-hitter. Why make up a weird detail like that? Was Jurrjens the "pitching coach" for the movie? Were there no no-hitters actually thrown in the year it supposedly took place (was this specified)?

I gathered that Eastwood's character, a Braves' scout, had supposedly signed Jurrjens – maybe, I guess. My attention lapsed at times :)
   36. Tom T Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:20 PM (#5637595)
Yeah, he's a sophomore at Marquette in Michigan City (near Charlie O's old place). We've only got a varsity team. He pitched in about 5-6 games as a freshman. Didn't do badly, though he had to learn that if you're a freshman throwing varsity and you get a guy 0-2, don't leave one inside or the batter will just let it hit him. He had only two walks, but six HBPs last year.

That is a great and educational story!

The coaches keep trying to turn my son into some sort of pitcher...he now has the 2nd best velocity among the freshmen and nice movement...but he hasn't got a clue where it is going, nor the ability to throw it anywhere near the strike zone after about 30 pitches.

They tried him at catcher, as well, but have concluded they gain more with him manning an infield position (he played SS primarily the last two years; he has only modest top speed, but excellent quickness and acceleration to his top speed).

Is your boy at McCutcheon?

Harrison.

There are probably 3 freshmen who could easily play on the upper JV ("JV Blue") team, but the coach is NOT known to be particularly freshman-friendly. (The last freshmen to play Varsity did so under the previous coach, and graduated 2 years ago.) Therefore, I've already logged all the "JV Orange" (read: Freshman Team) activities into our calendar. I would note that one (eventually two) freshman got to play on the upper JV last year, but there were also more than enough freshmen to fill out a roster. This freshman class is small (12 total, one of which may well be cut), so we are all working under the assumption they will play as a group for the year.
   37. Tom T Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM (#5637602)
Marquette in Michigan City

Ah, cool --- I see we might end up with some common opponents. Obviously we'll be facing their JV squad, but we play North Newton a few times this year.

Over the summer, he's supposed to play with the new local 15U Hoosier Warhawks team. He was hoping to be on the team with some of his better HS teammates, but they were pulled away to a couple 16U teams, one of which needed a lefty pitcher, and the other of which...I am going to go with "had connections" to the players (the two kids they pulled up from 15U are decidedly not among the best in the county, but I suspect they DO look good in jeans!).
   38. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 10:51 PM (#5637622)
Ah, cool --- I see we might end up with some common opponents. Obviously we'll be facing their JV squad, but we play North Newton a few times this year.

We've got a doubleheader against Delphi. We're kind of playing all over because we got kicked out of our conference (we were in the conference with NN).

I was going to take him to visit Purdue over his Spring Break, but it appears we're now scheduled to play South Bend St. Joe's that morning (they must be on break also).

39. Tom T Posted: March 13, 2018 at 11:28 PM (#5637655)
We've got a doubleheader against Delphi. We're kind of playing all over because we got kicked out of our conference (we were in the conference with NN).

Ah, our coach's former gig was at Delphi.

Harrison's break is right before the season starts, so they are holding two practices and thus making it impractical for us to get away for a vacation. (Of course, Purdue is on break THIS week, so not like I could just disappear anyway.)

BTW, is it now normal for cuts to be made *after* everyone was required to have ordered gear, clothing and cleats? If not, this may be why our coach has a worse reputation than normal (in my experience) among folks who were cut.
   40. SoSH U at work Posted: March 13, 2018 at 11:39 PM (#5637663)
BTW, is it now normal for cuts to be made *after* everyone was required to have ordered gear, clothing and cleats? If not, this may be why our coach has a worse reputation than normal (in my experience) among folks who were cut.

I hope not. That's crap.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Brian
for his generous support.