Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-15-2017

Seattle Star, March 15, 1917:

Joe Wood, the Indians’ $15,000 gamble, won’t be in shape to pitch when the season opens. He admits his costly arm has developed a kink—a sort of “grating in the shoulder.” Doctors are working on Joe.

The Cleveland Indians ought to burn up the American league. They’ve just bought $15,000 worth of wood.

As you know by now if you’ve been following the Dugout, Joe Wood’s arm was completely and irredeemably scragged at this point. He turned into a pretty good outfielder, but wasn’t worth all the money the Indians threw at him.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:16 AM | 29 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, smoky joe wood

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:28 AM (#5417608)
Today's Birthday outfield is terrific. Not much in the way in starting pitching - ace starter Jim Kern is a relief pitcher who started 14 career games. Arlie Latham leads everybody born on March 15 with three career games managed. Everybody whose birthday is today is tied for the all-time lead with zero career wins.

Also, I feel like I've said this before, but there really should be a rapper named The Freshest Man on Earth.

(Fick wore a wooly fur hat.)

C: Robert Fick (2.22 WAR)
1B: Kevin Youkilis (32.66 WAR)
2B/Manager: Arlie Latham (30.57 WAR)
3B: Doc Casey (12.26 WAR)
SS: Nick Ahmed (2.59 WAR)
LF: Jon Jay (11.95 WAR)
CF: Bobby Bonds (57.73 WAR)
RF: Harold Baines (38.53 WAR)

SP: Jim Kern (14.13 WAR)
SP: Lou Fette (8.38 WAR)
SP: Bill Wise (3.07 WAR)
SP: Sailor Stroud (1.63 WAR)
SP: Rosy Ryan (1.19 WAR)
RP: Bob Locker (10.38 WAR)
RP: Juan Carlos Oviedo (3.93 WAR)

Bench 3B: Mike Pagliarulo (10.55 WAR)
-4.37 WAR in 658 career AB, given name is Kimothy: Kim Batiste
'88 World Series hero: Mickey Hatcher
Not the East German secret police: Max Stassi
   2. Bote Man Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:32 AM (#5417611)
Nationals release catcher Derek Norris, who has yet to play in a Championship game for them despite being in the organization twice in his career. Dusty said he took it like a man, which I guess means "no lube".
   3. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM (#5417618)
Baseball Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson is exactly as old as Robert E. Lee was the day he surrendered to Gen. Grant (21,265 days).

Black leader Louis Farrakhan is exactly as old as Ted Williams was the day he died (30,624 days).

Football star Lawrence Taylor is exactly as old as Bud Selig was the day he became acting commissioner of major league baseball (21,224 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up these as-old-as items for themselves here.
   4. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM (#5417621)
One year ago today, Adam LaRoche quietly retired for undetailed personal reasons. I sure hope no one quietly retires today.
   5. GGC for Sale Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:46 AM (#5417627)
How have your winters been from a baseball standpoint? I didn't get into the HOF vote or the Hot Stove League that much, but I revisited the Cosmic Baseball Association's site. That led me to the UBA (supposedly the CBA was insopired by it, but I don't see much of a similarity) and other baseball fiction. I also played a game of Strat ('69 San Diego vs. "69 Montreal.)
   6. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM (#5417637)
Bobby Bonds had an amazing career, but is the most memorable moment of him his being flattened by Willie Mays?
   7. Bote Man Posted: March 15, 2017 at 12:03 PM (#5417687)
How have your winters been from a baseball standpoint?

This Winter I have been decidedly detached from happenings in baseball, outside of news about the Nationals or the Marlins. I was hoping to make it to a game or two at the new Nationals/Astros' Ballpark of the Palm Beaches, but I'm a cheap bastid so I can't stomach paying $34 for an infield dugout seat to watch a bunch of guys exercise half-heartedly for an hour before they head out to a round of golf. I've scored similar or better seats in D.C. for only twice the price. I mean, it's Spring Training! We talkin bout practice!
   8. Man o' Schwar Posted: March 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM (#5417692)

Frankly I was exhausted after October/November. Taking 4 months off from baseball (aside from perusing this site) has been a good reprieve. I followed the Hall of Fame voting a bit, but beyond that not much.

I'm ready for Opening Day, though. Second monitor is fired up at work for MLB.tv to run on daily.
   9. Perry Posted: March 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM (#5417695)
Bobby Bonds had an amazing career, but is the most memorable moment of him his being flattened by Willie Mays?

That's what I remember, probably because it was on Game of the Week, back when that was must-watch because it was the only baseball you were going to see, at least where I lived.
   10. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5417705)

Well, I read a book about Addie Joss. And have been listening to a Phillies podcast from which I have learned that basically everyone on the Phillies roster except Odubel Herrara and Jared Eickhoff is a stopgap until some better player arrives next year.
   11. salvomania Posted: March 15, 2017 at 01:11 PM (#5417729)
Nationals release catcher Derek Norris, who has yet to play in a Championship game for them despite being in the organization twice in his career. Dusty said he took it like a man, which I guess means "no lube".

From being a 25-year-old All-Star in 2014 to being released during spring training in 2017... that's quite a drop in 2-1/2 seasons.
   12. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 15, 2017 at 01:46 PM (#5417768)
Arlie Latham leads everybody born on March 15 with three career games managed.

Well, at least clubhouse meetings won't be boring.
   13. GGC for Sale Posted: March 15, 2017 at 01:46 PM (#5417769)
What inspired you to read about Joss, Crispix? I'm not sure where I saw it, but there was a photo of an AL All Star team that was playing a benefit for Joss's widow. In it, Ty Cobb wore a Cleveland uniform. I was thinking about that last night when I was finishing up The Pitch That Killed. The book mentioned a team that Tris Speaker played for that I forgot about. Can you guess which team I'm thinking of?
   14. Batman Posted: March 15, 2017 at 02:21 PM (#5417796)
It seems like Harold Baines was still playing just last year, but now he's 58. Older than Bobby Bonds ever got, by the way.
   15. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:00 PM (#5417827)
I've watched and thought about relatively little baseball since the end of the World Series. I needed some time away after that.

I've been doing the Dugout, obviously, but otherwise I've been dealing with my interminably long and still ongoing move from Columbus to Cincinnati and my quest to watch and blog about every Super Bowl, one per week, ending with Super Bowl 52 on the 52nd week. I just finished watching Super Bowl VI this afternoon. It was a nice palate cleanser after the trainwreck that was SBV.
   16. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:14 PM (#5417833)
What inspired you to read about Joss, Crispix? I'm not sure where I saw it, but there was a photo of an AL All Star team that was playing a benefit for Joss's widow. In it, Ty Cobb wore a Cleveland uniform.

I posted a link to that picture here a couple days ago! The aforementioned Joe Wood is also in the picture.

The book just happened to be at a library book sale for $2 I think. It could have just as easily been a biography of Ed Delahanty or Three-Finger Brown.

The last chapter of the book is about the Hall of Fame. It goes into how they elected one of the great Indians players of his day, Elmer Flick, and they elected one of the great St. Louis Browns players of his day, Bobby Wallace, and Eddie Collins and Home Run Baker and all these other players, but they couldn't elect Joss until they had already made an exception to the rules for Roberto Clemente.

And it seems that most of these players that were elected by the veterans committee from that era are now on our list of people whose presence in the Hall of Fame is seen as a blight and a disgrace, inducted by idiots inspired by cronyism. Of course there was basically no analysis of any statistics that went into it, not even discredited statistics. It was, who was the best shortstop back then? Everyone says Bobby Wallace, so he should be in the Hall of Fame.
   17. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:33 PM (#5417851)

That's what I remember, probably because it was on Game of the Week, back when that was must-watch because it was the only baseball you were going to see, at least where I lived.

I assume this is what you're referring to - still of the best catches I've ever seen.
   18. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5417859)
And it seems that most of these players that were elected by the veterans committee from that era are now on our list of people whose presence in the Hall of Fame is seen as a blight and a disgrace, inducted by idiots inspired by cronyism. Of course there was basically no analysis of any statistics that went into it, not even discredited statistics. It was, who was the best shortstop back then? Everyone says Bobby Wallace, so he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Wallace had over 70 career WAR, so it's not like he was a bad player. And while he wasn't Honus Wagner, he pretty clearly was the best shortstop from the early days of the AL. So while it's true he never got more than 2.7% of the BBWAA vote, I don't have any problem with him being in the HoF.
   19. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:42 PM (#5417863)
Well, I read a book about Addie Joss.

What was the name of the book, and the author? Thanks.
   20. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 15, 2017 at 03:59 PM (#5417886)
Addie Joss: King of the Pitchers by Scott Longert. It's only about 150 pages long. I found it very readable, unlike a lot of historical books that go into the minutiae of details game by game.
   21. GGC for Sale Posted: March 15, 2017 at 04:04 PM (#5417891)
Dan, that Super Bowl tumblr page went into some sort of infinite loop when I got to the bottom. The Intro and Game I recap kept repeating over & over.
   22. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 15, 2017 at 04:08 PM (#5417897)
Weird, GGC. I'll look into it, though it might be a tumblr issue and not something I can fix.
   23. GGC for Sale Posted: March 15, 2017 at 04:26 PM (#5417911)
The Orange Bowl had Astroturf? They played these in the afternoon?

I looook forward to pics of the Rainbow Wig man and a clip of one of my favorite moments from when I was a kid. It was a Super Bowl art the Superdome and some young dudes in the stands brought a TV. They were ecstatic when the camera panned on them.
   24. Perry Posted: March 15, 2017 at 05:11 PM (#5417945)
I assume this is what you're referring to - still of the best catches I've ever seen.

Yup, that's the one.
   25. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 15, 2017 at 05:59 PM (#5418004)
Addie Joss: King of the Pitchers by Scott Longert.

I think that this was a SABR publication?
   26. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 15, 2017 at 06:59 PM (#5418038)
I didn't realize that made it special! It's still on Amazon for 2 bucks plus shipping.

Apparently it was only the second biography published by SABR, after the posthumously discovered and edited Rabbit Maranville autobiography in 1991. There still have only been a few books published by SABR other than reference books.
   27. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 15, 2017 at 07:22 PM (#5418050)
There was one about Napoleon Lajoie, too, but it was a special edition of The National Pastime journal.
   28. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 15, 2017 at 08:19 PM (#5418064)
Addie Joss: King of the Pitchers by Scott Longert. It's only about 150 pages long. I found it very readable, unlike a lot of historical books that go into the minutiae of details game by game.

Thanks.
   29. Hank G. Posted: March 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM (#5418140)
Anyone who wants to can look up these as-old-as items for themselves here.

I got here a little late, but yesterday, I was as old as William Jennings Bryan, Boy Orator of the Platte, three-time Democratic nominee for President, Secretary of State under Woodrow Wilson, and comic relief at the so-called “Scopes Monkey Trial”, was when he shuffled off this mortal coil and went to bore God to death.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Jim Wisinski
for his generous support.