Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, March 17, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-17-2014

Toledo News-Bee, March 17, 1914:

Ed Hohnhorst, former Toledo first baseman, had an exciting experience in Covington, Ky. early last Saturday morning. Hohnhorst, who is now a member of the Covington police force, shot and killed Sunny Jackson, a negro, after a hand-to-hand fight.
Suddenly [Jackson] turned on Hohnhorst and, whipping out a revolver, commanded the officer to stop of he would kill him.

[Jackson] fired, but missed. The men clinched, Hohnhorst broke away, pulled his revolver and shot Jackson through the heart.

As you might imagine, the ensuing investigation cleared Hohnhorst of any wrongdoing. Hohnhorst, though, was unable to deal with what had happened, and he shot and killed himself two years later.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 08:27 AM | 23 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, ed hohnhorst, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 08:37 AM (#4672654)
Some good power hitters on today's Birthday Team. Davis and Sauer are obvious, but don't sleep on Pat Seerey's power. He was Rob Deer before Rob Deer was Rob Deer.

C: Oscar Stanage
1B: Chris Davis
2B: Fred Pfeffer
3B: Bill Mueller
SS: Jean Segura
LF: Hank Sauer
CF: Pete Reiser
RF: Pat Seerey

SP: Charlie Root
SP: John Smiley
SP: Tim Lollar
SP: Scott Downs
SP: Ed Klepfer
RP: Rod Scurry

Manager: Cito Gaston
Shooting Guard: Danny Ainge
Fun Names: Lyman Lamb, Daff Gammons, Whitey Ock, Bunny Pearce
   2. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 08:54 AM (#4672661)
All-Patrick Team:
C: Pat Borders
1B: Pat Burrell
2B: Pat Tabler
3B: Patsy Tebeau
SS: Pat Listach
LF: Patsy Dougherty
CF: Pat Kelly
RF: Patsy Donovan

SP: Pat Hentgen
SP: Pat Dobson
SP: Pat Zachry
SP: Pat Jarvis
SP: Pat Ragan
RP: Pat Neshek

GM: Pat Gillick

Pat Malone doesn't qualify, as his given name is Pierce. Also, you may not (I certainly don't) think of Tabler as a second baseman, but he came up as a second baseman and played 42 games there in the big leagues. If you want a guy who has a better glove and less bat, The Other Pat Kelly is probably the best option.
   3. GregD Posted: March 17, 2014 at 09:24 AM (#4672669)
Dan, That team would certainly drive the Snakes off the field.

The Cobra would be a formidable building block but after that things get ugly.

1B Snake Deal
backup 1B Snake Henry

P Rattlesnake Baker
P Snake Wiltse

Minor-league P Snake Man Baker
Minor-league utility Snake Marlow
Negro League utility Snake Mayweather
Minor-league utility Snake Eyes Vojcsik

Kenny Stabler was drafted but I don't think ever played.
   4. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 09:55 AM (#4672681)
Would it be cheating to just build a snake team of guys who played on the Diamondbacks?
   5. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM (#4672687)
Here's a minor league second baseman for Team Snake. And, of course, Dave Parker in RF.

6. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM (#4672692)
I don't know if Junior Noboa counts as a snake or an anti-snake.
   7. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4672713)
Irish born all stars:

c - Jimmy Archer
1b - Jack Doyle
2b - Reddy Mack
3b - Mike Muldoon
ss - Jimmy Hallinan
of/mgr - Patsy Donovan
of - Andy Leonard
of/p - Curry Foley
ut - Jocko Fields

p - Tommy Bond
p - Tony Mullane
p - One Arm Daily
p - Mike O'Neil
Exec. - John Tener

Last Irish-born player: Joe Cleary
   8. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM (#4672726)
Ed Hohnhorst, former Toledo first baseman, had an exciting experience in Covington, Ky. early last Saturday morning. Hohnhorst, who is now a member of the Covington police force

When I was a kid in Cincinnati in the 50s, my dad would refer to Covington as sin city, at least when he was young if not in that moment. Apparently gambling and prostitution were winked at. Being in the single digits age-wise, I didn't quite know what he meant but I was intrigued.
   9. base ball chick Posted: March 17, 2014 at 11:31 AM (#4672744)
i don't care what they show on tv - the "ensuing investigation" THESE days always clears cops of wrongdoing when it comes to shooting people

the writer said goodbye to poor fred really well

"my heart always goes out for the poor fellows for whom Life holds no more sweetness! Life at its best should be a continuous unfolding of the beautiful with each day crowded with new and blessed duties and opportunities."

ain't no writer these days can write something like that (except maybe poz)
   10. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: March 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM (#4672747)
I saw a tweet yesterday where Keith Law complained about the Dodgers adding Chone Figgins to the roster and in turn, they cut Javy Guerra.

I understand that cutting a cheap, cost controlled guy for a crappy washed up vet isn't the smartest thing but shouldn't the complaint be that they didn't eat League's salary and add Guerra instead.

And as I have learned, complaining about the roster moves for the 25/26th guys on the roster is generally asshattery.
   11. esseff Posted: March 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4672754)
I nominate Larry Bowa for the snake team. Then just add a bunch of guys named King and Black and voila . . .
   12. just plain joe Posted: March 17, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4672850)
When I was a kid in Cincinnati in the 50s, my dad would refer to Covington as sin city, at least when he was young if not in that moment. Apparently gambling and prostitution were winked at. Being in the single digits age-wise, I didn't quite know what he meant but I was intrigued.

Covington (actually Newport, which is next to Covington) kept that well-deserved reputation at least thru the mid-seventies. I haven't been there in years but my understanding is that downtown Newport has been cleaned up and is more "family friendly" today.
   13. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: March 17, 2014 at 01:54 PM (#4672876)
I'm sure other teams do something similar but I love the Red Sox breaking out the green jerseys and bases on st pattys day.
   14. Davo Dozier Posted: March 17, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4672878)
I loved going down to our company cafeteria and seeing baseball on TV. That made my day.
   15. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:14 PM (#4672895)
I haven't been there in years but my understanding is that downtown Newport has been cleaned up and is more "family friendly" today.
Can confirm. Took my kids to the Newport Aquarium a few years ago and noticed no obvious signs of sketchiness.
   16. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4672905)
The Rangers announcers yesterday mentioned something about Junior Felix being sent to the minor league camp during yesterday's game against the White Sox. That didn't seem right, but I was hoping there was a Junior Felix Junior hanging around. It's possible that Junior Felix is getting close to the age where he could have a grandson playing professional baseball: Turns Out Felix Isn't Junior.

I think they meant Jose Felix.
   17. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4672909)
Junior Felix is the player I hate the most for the least amount if reason in baseball history. I can't stand the guy and I honestly don't know why.
   18. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4672914)
I wonder what Junior Felix's kid would be named if Junior wanted to name him after himself. Junior Felix Junior? Trey Felix? Fix-it Felix Junior?
   19. Davo Dozier Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:34 PM (#4672916)
Junior Felix is the player I hate the most for the least amount if reason in baseball history. I can't stand the guy and I honestly don't know why.
Is it because he named his son Junior Felix Jr.?
   20. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:39 PM (#4672919)
Great minds think alike. And so do we, Davo.
   21. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: March 17, 2014 at 02:45 PM (#4672925)
I think they meant Jose Felix.

Any relation to Felix Jose?

Is it because he named his son Junior Felix Jr.?

Junior Felix Jr. Shabadoo

22. Davo Dozier Posted: March 17, 2014 at 03:02 PM (#4672951)
What? According to this article, while Junior Felix did indeed name his son Junior, he gave him a different middle name, thus preventing him from being called Junior Felix Jr.

I feel betrayed.
   23. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 17, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4672956)
According to this article,

Fact: At this rate, Barry Bonds will finish the season with 212 hits, 44 homers, 130 RBI and 29 steals.

Bonds finished with 46 HR and 29 steals, but only 181 hits and 123 RBI. And then he just kind of faded away, never to be heard from again.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
HowardMegdal
for his generous support.