Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-21-2013

Washington Herald, March 21, 1913:

In the last game against the Havana team, Jimmy Lavender, of the Cubs, hit Garcia in the back with a pitched ball so hard that the Cuban’s rib was torn loose from his spinal column. Four of the Cubans charged in the dressing room later than Lavender did it purposely, and they threatened to pounce upon him. Upon Lavender announcing that he was willing to lick all four at once, the belligerent attitude melted away.

That’s probably because the interpreter thought Lavender was literally threatening to lick the Cubans.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 21, 2013 at 06:14 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, jimmy lavender

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 21, 2013 at 06:18 AM (#4393346)
Also in the linked column:
Allen Scheer is not at all discouraged at being sent to the Boston Nationals. "I suppose Boston is a better town than Youngstown, Ohio," he said.
Young Scheer speaks the truth.
   2. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 21, 2013 at 06:26 AM (#4393347)
Not a bunch of quality ballplayers on today's Birthday Team, but a bunch of quality nicknames: Shanty, Good Time Bill, Thunderpup, and Mysterious.

C: Shanty Hogan
1B: Manny Sanguillen
2B: Aaron Hill
3B: Tommy Davis
SS: Cristian Guzman
LF: John Sullivan
CF: Good Time Bill Lamar
RF: Shawon Dunston

SP: Al Fitzmorris
SP: Luis Leal
SP: Rickey Clark
SP: Fernando Arroyo
SP: Mysterious Walker
RP: Ed Klieman

Manager: Bill Plummer
Umpire: Bill McGowan
   3. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: March 21, 2013 at 06:35 AM (#4393348)
"Thunderpup" sounds like a character in some movie for kids.
   4. just plain joe Posted: March 21, 2013 at 08:48 AM (#4393378)
Mysterious Walker is not a good name for a pitcher to have.
   5. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 21, 2013 at 09:42 AM (#4393406)
There was an article and thread here about the Royals Hall of Fame yesterday. Al Fitzmorris is one of the finalists. I can't remember the last time I thought about Al Fitzmorris, and now it's happened two days in a row. The nation officially has Al Fitzmorris fever.
   6. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: March 21, 2013 at 09:42 AM (#4393407)
   7. WahooSam Posted: March 21, 2013 at 09:57 AM (#4393420)
Shanty Hogan - one of my favourite old-time catchers
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM (#4393440)
a bunch of quality nicknames

Manny Sanguillen was "The Roadrunner," sometimes reduced to "Beep-beep." Not many catchers get that.
   9. KJOK Posted: March 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM (#4393555)
I'm guessing it was Regino Garcia that Lavender hit:

Regino Garcia Playing Career
   10. The District Attorney Posted: March 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM (#4393566)
I was having a conversation with occasional poster BobbyMac, and he posed the questions:

- Which Diamondback would you most want to add to your team's 2014 roster?

He said Miguel Montero, I said Paul Goldschmidt.

- Whichever one you chose, is there a team that has a less desirable "best 2014-and-forward keeper"?

Surprisingly, we found that there wasn't a clear choice. Would you expect to want to trade Jose Altuve for Montero or Goldschmidt next offseason? How about Starlin Castro, or Anthony Rizzo? You'd have to think about those for sure.

This certainly says something about the Diamondbacks' current offseason, in which they traded away one and arguably two of the guys whom you might otherwise have taken.
   11. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 21, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4393631)
A bunch of current and former pro athletes have formed a pro-gay rights group to file a brief to the Supreme Court on their upcoming gay marriage rulings. Many NFL players are on board, but notably, not a single MLB player (not even Billy Bean?)

Athletes Brief
   12. Walt Davis Posted: March 21, 2013 at 05:31 PM (#4393825)
Wow, a team that has to shift Sanguillen to 1B, Tommy Davis to 3B and Dunston to RF ... that's sad.

(In real life, it would probably be Dunston or Guzman at 3B and Davis in RF but Davis does have more 3B starts than either of those.)

On the keeper question: How long are we keeping for?

The Padres don't look real good ... Headley should be fine for the next couple of years but he's already 29. Maybin (26) is a perfectly OK real-life player but has no fantasy value.

The Phils have Hamels if you want pitcher risk, but nothing else. The A's ... Cespedes although I'd like to see him repeat it. Twins ... I know they've got a prospect or two but on the ML roster it's 30-year-old Mauer or nothing (or course in fantasy land, he's your full-time C). For the White Sox your only choice is to roll the dice with Sale. The Red Sox only choice is a 29-year-old Pedroia and the Yanks only choice is Cano (who I would gladly draft in a keeper league but am not sure I'd pay for in a keeper auction.)

Toronto is interesting -- they've become a rather old team overnight, even Reyes is 30. Bautista is 32 and still probably the best choice but coming off injury. Reyes and EE are 30 and how confident are you in the new EE (and he's stuck at 1B/DH). Johnson and Romero are injury risks. Rasmus and especially Lawrie are both young and you'd take real-life Lawrie in a heartbeat for defense (even if WAR might overstate it) but it's not clear that either is going to hit real well.

Wow, Mauer had a really nice year last year that I didn't realize. A full healthy season, led the AL in OBP. Only 72 starts at C but you can live with that for 4-5 WAR.
   13. The District Attorney Posted: March 21, 2013 at 07:52 PM (#4393901)
I think we were thinking you would be able to keep the player indefinitely, but you had an average team, not some sort of long-term rebuilding project. So you would definitely prefer someone like Pedroia or Cano who has a ton of immediate value and still very good medium-term value, without really worrying about 10 years from now. (Montero will be 30 himself in '14. Goldschmidt is four years younger.)

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.