Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, March 21, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-21-2014

Toledo News-Bee, March 21, 1914:

Larry Chappell, $18,000 outfielder of the Chicago White Sox, who is suffering from blood poisoning, is really in a serious condition, Manager Callahan said on Saturday, after a visit to the hospital, and may lose his leg.

Chappell broke in a new pair of shoes in the San Francisco exhibition series and rubbed the skin off his left foot.

If it wasn’t for awful luck, Chappell wouldn’t have had any luck at all. In his last minor league game in 1913, Chappell ruined his knee. He reported to the White Sox, played miserably for the rest of that year, then nearly lost his leg in early 1914. Four years later, while leading the PCL in batting, Chappell left the Salt Lake City Bees in the middle of the season to join the army. He died of influenza on an army base in November 1918.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 21, 2014 at 08:19 AM | 23 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, larry chappell

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: March 21, 2014 at 08:23 AM (#4674736)
Not a bunch of quality ballplayers on today's Birthday Team, but a bunch of quality nicknames: Shanty, Good Time Bill, Thunderpup, Roadrunner, and Mysterious.

C: Shanty Hogan
1B: Manny Sanguillen
2B: Aaron Hill
3B: Tommy Davis
SS: Cristian Guzman
LF: John Sullivan
CF: Good Time Bill Lamar
RF: Shawon Dunston

SP: Al Fitzmorris
SP: Luis Leal
SP: Rickey Clark
SP: Fernando Arroyo
SP: Mysterious Walker
RP: Ed Klieman

Manager: Bill Plummer
Umpire: Bill McGowan
   2. Joey B. "disrespects the A" Posted: March 21, 2014 at 08:28 AM (#4674738)
Less than 24 hours to go until "Opening Day"; a game that nobody in America is even going to watch. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe these games or the idea behind them.
   3. WahooSam Posted: March 21, 2014 at 09:09 AM (#4674754)
Wow, Shanty Hogan AND Manny Sanguillen.
   4. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 21, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4674782)
Speaking of Manny Sanguillen, yesterday I found out Jose Lima's ex-wife (he was married more than once, but I mean the one from the national anthem picture) is now Mrs. Roberto Clemente Jr.
   5. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4674817)
SP: Mysterious Walker

Mysterious might make the back end of the all-Walker rotation, after Bill, Taijuan, Luke. There's also a Clifford Walker Lee, but he's an outfielder from the 1920s. The Walkers have position players to burn.
   6. Guapo Posted: March 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM (#4674843)
Less than 24 hours to go until "Opening Day"; a game that nobody in America is even going to watch. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe these games or the idea behind them.

I'm going to get up at 7 AM, make bacon and eggs and a hot pot of coffee, and watch the (archived) game on mlb.tv. Sounds like a good morning to me.
   7. BDC Posted: March 21, 2014 at 11:41 AM (#4674846)
I'm'a give those Australia games a miss, but then I give most TV baseball a miss. I have expressed my indifference to them (partly because I'm an AL West fan) but if I were living in Sydney right now I would think this was the greatest thing that happened in human history :)
   8. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: March 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM (#4674856)

I've said this before, but my kids caught the baseball bug last year after going to a game at Dodger Stadium. They can't wait to go back, so in that sense, I get why they are doing these games. When my kids don't take over the TV (and my 5 year old knows his favorite channels now), baseball is pretty much on TV all the time once the season starts. Heck, it's been on alot in the last couple of weeks with all the awesome spring training coverage on MLBN. But that game is what got my kids hooked.

That said, it's absolutely horrible that if I decided to stay up until 1am tonight (not happening, we have baseball practice at 9am tomorrow) that I can't watch the Dodgers because the new Dodgers channel isn't on my cable yet.
   9. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM (#4674866)
"Opening Day" is THIS WEEK?

When do the other games start, 8 days from now?
   10. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:40 PM (#4674876)
Okay, Twins fans, WTF is wrong with Worley (now available on waivers)?
   11. zonk Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM (#4674882)
Couple big names moving in a trade today --

The Cubs have dealt (Trevor) Gretzky to the Angels for (Matt) Scioscia.

Yes, both are sons of the more famous Wayne and Mike...

It's actually a pretty lopsided, poor trade for the Cubs near as I can tell... Matt is 25, hasn't made it out of A ball, and is almost certainly nothing but org fodder. Gretzky isn't a premier prospect -- but was a 7th rounder who was convinced away from SDSU with a $375k bonus. He hasn't made it out of A ball either - and doesn't look to have the bat to be a legit 1B, but he is still just 21.

It's likely a nothing deal for both teams, I guess... but odd that the Angels would trade Mike's son, while the Cubs would actually give up a something more than org fodder to get him.
   12. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM (#4674886)
Scioscia's a 25-year-old first baseman who can't hit single A pitching. Maybe the Cubs want him as a coach.
   13. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 21, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4674903)
I always pay attention to deals where a team deals for or trades away (moreso the latter) a manager or exec's kid.
Not sure why the Cubs did this. Scioscia, to be blunt, has never given an indication that he's a pro caliber ballplayer. Gretzky's likely no prospect but, still...
   14. Mike Emeigh Posted: March 21, 2014 at 01:46 PM (#4674914)
WTF is wrong with Worley (now available on waivers)

Worley's out of options, hasn't been pitching well, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that he's hurt.

-- MWE
   15. Mike Emeigh Posted: March 21, 2014 at 02:50 PM (#4674957)
Basketball, not baseball, but since it's about analytics and Ben Alamar, you might find it interesting:

Detailed look at analytics and the Cleveland Cavaliers

-- MWE
   16. Davo Dozier Posted: March 21, 2014 at 03:07 PM (#4674964)
14--He suffered an elbow injury in late 2012 (bone chips), and the Phillies traded him right afterwards, and he's been #### ever since.
   17. Transmission Posted: March 21, 2014 at 03:12 PM (#4674965)
11 - 13: AZ Phil at The Cub Reporter, who is quite in touch with Cubs minor league system, thinks the plan is to flip Scioscia back to catcher, as it's the only place in the organization where the team lacks minor league depth. Gretzky was utterly and thoroughly blocked at 1B and OF going forward with the Cubs.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/03212014/updated-cubs-2014-minor-league-camp-rosters-320
   18. zonk Posted: March 21, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4674970)
11 - 13: AZ Phil at The Cub Reporter, who is quite in touch with Cubs minor league system, thinks the plan is to flip Scioscia back to catcher, as it's the only place in the organization where the team lacks minor league depth. Gretzky was utterly and thoroughly blocked at 1B and OF going forward with the Cubs.

http://www.thecubreporter.com/03212014/updated-cubs-2014-minor-league-camp-rosters-320

Ahhh - that makes a lot more sense then.

The guys the Cubs were running out at catcher at AAA and AA were an absolute joke last year. I mean, you're not going to have prospects - or even oldish guys who might have a backup major league role - at every level, but the Cubs were using 33 yo JD Boscan as the starting catcher at Iowa and Tennessee was playing a couple of 27/28 yos who weren't very good either.

Of course, if Scioscia's bat as 1B can't get him past A ball - not so sure moving him solves that issue...

But the biggest weakness the Cubs system has right now is catching, and catching that might potentially even have a future in strict backup role.

Anything that they can do to import some help there, and help at an age at least youngish enough to maybe have a future if things break right, is probably a good move.
   19. Walt Davis Posted: March 21, 2014 at 07:10 PM (#4675085)
The guy's played only 7 games at C in the minors, this doesn't sound like much of a plan. Maybe the Cubs got some cash in the deal, enough to cover Gretzky's bonus?

Is Scioscia hurt a lot? Not only is he 25 in A ball, he has 2+ seasons in the minors and hasn't made it to 500 PA. And his OPS was 472 last year. Seriously, what's going on here?

If they got some of the cash back and this is just a favor to a young player, then fine. And really, who cares? But you would seem to have to do some work to find a less promising pro ballplayer than Scioscia.
   20. Transmission Posted: March 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM (#4675148)
I didn't claim it was a smart plan, just that it was a plan....
   21. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: March 21, 2014 at 11:16 PM (#4675160)
Gretzky playing in LA? It'll never work.
   22. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: March 22, 2014 at 12:07 AM (#4675182)
On Worley: I mean, I haven't watched him since he went to Minny ... but the numbers, oof.
   23. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM (#4675637)
As I have a sentimental attachment to the day, here's Dan Lee's good March 23 team from 2012:

C: Bo Diaz
1B: Lee May
2B: Frank Parkinson
3B: George Scott
SS: Johnny Logan
LF/SP: Mike Smith
CF: Johnny Moore
RF: Gavvy Cravath

SP: Mark Buehrle
SP: Ray Kremer
SP: Ramon Ortiz
SP: Bruce Howard
RP: Mike Remlinger

LF when Smith pitches/Manager: Jim Lemon
Scout: Cy Slapnicka

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harry Balsagne, anti-Centaur hate crime division
for his generous support.