Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-26-2014

Washington Times, March 26, 1914:

“Lefty” Ruth’s wicked shoots proved too much for Connie Mack’s world’s champions [in Wilmington, NC] yesterday, especially when allied with some timely clouting by Ezra Midkiff and Neal Ball.

Big deal. Some teenager pitched well in March. He’ll never amount to anything.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:12 AM | 20 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: babe ruth, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 08:16 AM (#4677119)
Quoting Fernigal McGunnigle, who compiled today's roster for the Birthday League:
Note: No one born March 26th played a single inning at catcher, so I stuck Josh Wilson there because he’s scrappy.
Works for me.

C: Josh Wilson
1B: Luis Medina
2B: Jose Vizcaino
3B: Kevin Seitzer
SS: Brendan Ryan
LF: Jack McCarthy
CF: Jesus Tavarez
RF: Frank Brower

SP: Shane Reynolds
SP/Manager: Mel Queen
SP: Jimmy Lavender
SP: Brad Hogg
SP: Bill Zuber
RP: Rube Geyer

Play-By-Play: Harry Kalas
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:29 AM (#4677148)
So the Royals claimed Patrick Schuster off waivers, only they don't really want Patrick Schuster. They want Carlos Peguero, who is on their 40 man roster, but is out of options, but they'd like to keep in AAA. So they want to DFA him now, and try to slip him past teams on waivers in ten days, hoping most teams have their 40 man roster set by then. But to DFA someone, you need to pick someone up, and that is Schuster.

My question is, what is the rationale for the rule that you cannot DFA someone unless you pick someone up?
   3. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:30 AM (#4677151)
Fun name: Goober Zuber
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:47 AM (#4677164)
Kevin Frandsen to the Nats
David Aardsma to the Cards
Jeff Francoeur to the Padres
Scott Baker to the Rangers
Vance Worley to the Pirates
Shawn Hill is a Jay again after a stint in the Atlantic League last year
O's release Aaron Laffey
Nats release P Chris Young and IF Jamey Carroll
Mariners release Humberto Quintero
   5. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:55 AM (#4677167)
I've always been an outspoken Aaron Laffey supporter, but after last season's disaster in AAA (6.34 ERA, more BB+HBP+WP than strikeouts, 17 HR in 110 IP), I can't really make a case that he deserves anything other than a job as organizational depth.

Bummer...always seemed like a good dude, and I've got a soft spot for guys who become legit big leaguers despite 85 MPH fastballs.
   6. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4677182)
Fun name: Goober Zuber

Not if you happen to be Goober Zuber, I reckon.
   7. JJ1986 Posted: March 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM (#4677272)
I would guess you can't just DFA someone because the logic is that you don't need 10 days to decide what to do unless you're in a roster crunch. Maybe 10 days is too much. If DFAing a player only gave you 5 days, then the Royals wouldn't gain anything with the roster shenanigans.

I looked at the Royals roster after this because I was surprised they wouldn't have room for Schuster. Are they going to start the season with a 5-man bench? That seems unprecedented in the AL in this day-and-age.
   8. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM (#4677283)
Goober Zuber bought a hotel and turned it into a restaurant when he was done with baseball. It's been turned back into a hotel/bed and breakfast but still has his name: Zuber's Homestead Hotel.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM (#4677284)
Yea, the rumor is they're going 5 man bench because Infante is iffy to start the year, and they got Valencia as the only backup infielder, and he can only play 3B, and he's out of options. After the first week if Infante is healthy they'll probably go 12 man pitching staff and send the MIF down (Pedro Ciricao likely), but I don't know what they do about not having a reserve MIF at that point, maybe they try to slip Valencia through waivers or something. Both reserve OF (Dyson, Maxwell) are also both out of options and are actually useful.
   10. Davo Dozier Posted: March 26, 2014 at 01:26 PM (#4677306)
#9--I saw they let Mike Moustakas play second base in a spring training game a couple days ago. I assume it's just as a "break glass in case of emergency" thing, but--as a Mike Moustakas owner in the Lounge Fantasy League--I wouldn't mind them giving him 5 starts at second base to start the season, not at all!

He was a shortstop in the high minors, wasn't he? He looks athletic, for what that's worth.
   11. zonk Posted: March 26, 2014 at 01:53 PM (#4677327)
Rangers claimed Donnie Murphy off waivers from the Cubs and while a combination of crappy headlining and crappy roster news writing makes it unclear -- the Cubs have surprisingly cut George Kottaras... Since they gave him just over $1 million, it would be surprising that they just cut him (though, I'm guessing that saves them the salary?) - perhaps they just waived him off the 40 man and he's being sent to Iowa.

This means Michael Olt starts the year at 3B and the Cubs backup catcher will either be John Baker or Eli Whiteside, I guess... Based on that, I'm revising my win total projection from 67 to 68.
   12. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:15 PM (#4677404)
Goerge Kottaras must be a huge jerk for the way teams let him go for nothing.

#9--I saw they let Mike Moustakas play second base in a spring training game a couple days ago. I assume it's just as a "break glass in case of emergency" thing, but--as a Mike Moustakas owner in the Lounge Fantasy League--I wouldn't mind them giving him 5 starts at second base to start the season, not at all!

He was a shortstop in the high minors, wasn't he? He looks athletic, for what that's worth.

I think it was just "hey let's see how this goes" kinda thing. Moose converted to 3B in low A ball, although he is a good defender, I can't see him handling SS or 2B on an even semi-regular basis. Valencia has made a couple appearances at 2B too, but I don't expect to see either there.
   13. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 03:19 PM (#4677414)
Scott Diamond placed on waivers.

Tommy Hanson let go

Mark Lowe let go

Joe Blanton let go

Javy Guerra to the White Sox.

Rule 5 pitcher Seth Rosin to the Rangers.
   14. Karl from NY Posted: March 26, 2014 at 04:02 PM (#4677454)
Note: No one born March 26th played a single inning at catcher, so I stuck Josh Wilson there because he’s scrappy.

For these occasions, have you/Fernigal thought about looking for pitchers to stick in at catcher? They should have the throwing and defensive ability, and there's been a fair few RH pitchers throughout history that could hack a .210 average or so.

Mel Queen could be a candidate for the March 26th catcher, not all that much worse a hitter than Josh Wilson, and in fact he did get some time playing in the outfield.
   15. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:18 PM (#4677510)
Bobby Abreu did not make the Phillies.
   16. Davo Dozier Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:29 PM (#4677517)

I am oh so very pedantic, and must point out that the starting left fielder on our team--Jack McCarthy--did in fact play one game at catcher for the 1893 Charleston Seagulls (of the Southern Association).
   17. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 26, 2014 at 05:59 PM (#4677543)
I would have guessed Vizcaino had caught at least once and pitched three or four times. Also, kicked some extra points, helped the goalie paint his mask, and met Forrest Gump.
   18. The District Attorney Posted: March 26, 2014 at 06:02 PM (#4677544)
I am oh so very pedantic, and must point out that the starting left fielder on our team--Jack McCarthy--did in fact play one game at catcher for the 1893 Charleston Seagulls (of the Southern Association).
I didn't point it out because I figured everyone just knew that.
   19. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 26, 2014 at 06:13 PM (#4677549)
McCarthy had to fill in when Joe Sugden and Frank Armstrong were suspended for making distasteful Grover Cleveland jokes on Twitter.
   20. Davo Dozier Posted: March 26, 2014 at 09:07 PM (#4677609)

I didn't point it out because I figured everyone just knew that.
RDF

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.