Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-27-2014

Pittsburgh Press, March 27, 1914:

“Who stabbed King Cole in the leg?” That question is destroying brain cells among the New York Yankees today. Just before arriving in Atlanta, Ga., from Mobile, Cole jumped from his berth roaring “I’ve been stabed,” and several stitches were required to close the wound in his shin.

The King knows absolutely nothing, he says, of how he came to be wounded. Some hint darkly that a Federal league agent, disguised as a porter, committed the dastardly crime while the lengthy Leonard sweetly snoozed. Others ascribed it to sleep walking or “as a good way to escape work.” Manager Chance is investigating.

Sure, yeah.

The Federal League, upset that it had missed out on the services of a guy who pitched in Columbus last year, hatched a plan to sneak a proto-Gillooly onto the Yankees’ train and stab Cole in the shin before silently and invisibly extracting the thug in a clean getaway. Seems totally reasonable.

Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:21 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, federal league, history, jeff gillooly, king cole

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:25 AM (#4677738)
This is not a good Birthday Team. If there's any good news, it's that the manager won't be tempted to play Cuddyer at second base.

C: Buster Posey
1B: Dave Hostetler
2B/Manager: Miller Huggins
3B: Bill Sudakis
SS: George Magoon
LF: Wes Covington
CF: Vic Harris
RF: Michael Cuddyer

SP: Dick Ruthven
SP: Lynn McGlothen
SP: Ed Cushman
SP: Steve Sundra
SP: Jaime Navarro
RP: Drew Hall

Owner: Effa Manley
   2. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM (#4677750)
Released:

BAL - RHP Luis Vizcaino
HOU - RHP Peter Moylan
PHI - RHP Michael Stutes
TBR - IF Wilson Betimet, IF Jayson Nix
   3. Davo Dozier Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM (#4677764)
TBR - IF Wilson Betimet

The most under-rated player in baseball, under-rated again!
   4. Davo Dozier Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM (#4677768)
Wes Covington has the fewest career stolen bases of any left-fielder in history (with 7--tied with Pat Burrell). So he's part of this team:

C: Gus Triandos, 1
1b: Cecil Fielder and Dick Stuart, 2
2b: Rich Dauer, 6
3b: Wes Helms, 3
Ss: Dal Maxvil and Bobby Wine, 7 (this had been JJ Hardy, until he stole two bases in 2013)
LF: Pat Burrell and Wes Covington, 7
CF: Hank Leiber, 5
RF: Jay Gibbons, 2
DH: Billy Butler, 5

(Criteria: Since 1900. At least 3,000 plate appearances, appeared at that position in at least 50% of their career games.)
   5. Davo Dozier Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:06 AM (#4677769)
Dick Ruthven's claim to fame, of course, is that he was once on "The Family Feud":

Following the 1980 World Series, Dennis Leonard appeared with four of his Royals teammates on Family Feud for one week in 1980. He, John Wathan, Willie Wilson, Paul Splittorff and Dan Quisenberry played against five members of the Philadelphia Phillies: Del Unser, Larry Bowa, Mike Schmidt, Dick Ruthven and Garry Maddox.
   6. Davo Dozier Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM (#4677779)
Our owner is the only woman in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I remember when I first read that, I assumed it was a misprint.
   7. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM (#4677785)
(Criteria: Since 1900. At least 3,000 plate appearances, appeared at that position in at least 50% of their career games.)
If you expand the timeframe, you can add the one pitcher with 3000 PA. With 29 steals, he easily leads the team.
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM (#4677792)
...the lengthy Leonard sweetly snoozed

"Lengthy Leonard" would be a good BBTF handle, or a good nickname for one's....
   9. BDC Posted: March 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM (#4677816)
Dal Maxvill and Bobby Wine

An example of a paradox that I still don't fully understand: that there are quite a few infielders in the majors largely for their gloves, possessing exceptional quickness and range, who are nevertheless damn slow on the bases. In fact some of the better base stealers, of course, have been excellent glove men at short or second; but at the same time some of the great glove men at short or second have been among the worse base stealers. There have been quite a few theories proposed for why this should be, including that I am simply imagining it, but examples like Maxvill and Wine show that I'm probably not.
   10. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: March 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM (#4677830)
I wonder how common that is. After a few minutes of checking the usual suspects, I've only found Maz (27 career steals) and Ripken (36). I suppose you could include Rey Ordoñez, but (1) his career only lasted 3100 PAs, and (2) he was never on base.
   11. CH Luke Posted: March 27, 2014 at 01:34 PM (#4677854)
Two columns to the right of TFA is a piece on former Pirate great Max Carey, and below that some 'Baseballograms'. Even further to the right are the 'Baseball Tabloids'. Good stuff.
Atlanta, GA. Trimming their batting lamps, the Yankees bingled safely nine times and defeated the Atlanta team, Southern league champions, to the tune of 12-3.
   12. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 27, 2014 at 01:37 PM (#4677858)
John McDonald is a member of the Maxvill/Wine family of infielders.

Johnny Mac has spent parts of 15 seasons in the majors for no other reason than he's a terrific defensive infielder and a nice guy. He has 33 career steals, and in the past six years, he's got a total of 7 SB and 9 CS.

He doesn't have a ton of career PA (2560), but he's got enough for us to get an idea of the kind of ballplayer he is.
   13. esseff Posted: March 27, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4677862)
An example of a paradox that I still don't fully understand: that there are quite a few infielders in the majors largely for their gloves, possessing exceptional quickness and range, who are nevertheless damn slow on the bases.

Maxvill and Wine batted No. 8, which inhibited their steal attempts.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.