Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-28-2017

Washington Times, March 28, 1917:

President August Herrmann, of the Cincinnati Nationals, was notified last night that Heinie Groh, infielder, had left the local club at Memphis, Tenn., last night, and was now on a train to Cincinnati. Groh is said to have left a note for Manager Mathewson in which he stated he was “homesick.”

A quote from Groh in the Pittsburgh Press, March 28, 1917:

“Any married man can understand. I was homesick, dead lonesome, and simply had to come home. I feel better already. I will join the team here Friday and keep in physical trim.

These days, it would probably trigger a massive kerfuffle including suspensions, character assassination, and perhaps a trade if a player noped out on Spring Training, left a note, and went home.

I don’t know what the Reds’ reaction was to Groh leaving - I guess we’ll find out together - but he didn’t get suspended or traded. Heinie went on to lead the league in games played, plate appearances, hits, doubles, and on-base percentage. His trip home seems to have worked out well for everyone.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:12 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM (#5424625)
A weak Birthday Team today. It has only two position players with more than 1 career WAR. A few decent pitchers, but not enough to make up for the lack of hitting.

C: Jimmie Coker (-0.19 WAR)
1B: Glenn Davis (19.54 WAR)
2B: Craig Paquette (-1.61 WAR)
3B: Harry Gleason (0.69 WAR)
SS: Tom McLaughlin (0.83 WAR)
LF: Johnny Johnston (0.4 WAR)
CF: Jimmy Barrett (19 WAR)
RF: Ryan Christenson (0.3 WAR)

SP: Lon Warneke (46.17 WAR)
SP: Vic Raschi (16.85 WAR)
SP: Paul Wilson (2.17 WAR)
SP: Joe Krakauskas (2.03 WAR)
SP: Shawn Boskie (1.34 WAR)
RP: Mark Melancon (9.9 WAR)
RP: Bryan Morris (2.9 WAR)
Fun name: Frank Snook (-0.02 WAR)
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM (#5424634)
I think we need a picture of Mrs. Groh.
   3. BDC Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM (#5424635)
Another offday on 28 September 1927, so the Brooklyn Daily Eagle ran a story comparing the left side of the Pirates' infield to that of the Yankees. Conclusion: Mark Koenig and Joe Dugan no match for Glenn Wright and Pie Traynor.

Meanwhile, on Page One:

Three members of one family were asphyxiated by gas in their Manhattan apartment today. A man employed in a harness shop on the first floor front detected the odor of gas. A patrolman broke down the door. A small grey kitten staggered into the room and ran into the backyard, where, after a few deep breaths, it appeared as well as ever. When the patrolman found an open jet on the kitchen stove, the harness-maker said the cat had been accustomed to sleeping there.
   4. Bote Man Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM (#5424647)
And that is why you always leave a note!

Apologies if this was covered (a Google search of this site revealed nothing), but a buddy forwarded this quote to me via e-mail without attribution:

Bob Drew, who died March 19, will forever be linked with “the longest game in professional baseball.” Here’s Scott Fybush of Northeast Radio Watch – “Drew was both general manager and radio announcer for the Rochester, NY Red Wings, on then-WPXN/1280, on that legendary Spring night in 1981, when the Red Wings’ away-game against the Pawtucket Red Sox stretched out to 32 innings before being suspended.” By the time they resumed the game, Scott says it was two months later and “Drew had been fired as the Wings’ GM, but he returned to the radio booth to call the game.”

While the game-set looked familiar, Bob Drew’s audience was potentially much wider, says Fybush - Remember that the year was 1981. Drew called the game “on the radio network of the Baltimore Orioles, the parent team whose games were suspended on account of the ongoing MLB strike.”

Footnote – the Pawsox won the game 3-2 in the 33rd inning, the very first inning of the resumed game.

And now you know...the rest of the story.
   5. GGC Posted: March 28, 2017 at 10:42 AM (#5424651)
There's a book about that game. I wasn't that impressed with it when I read it a couple of years back, but I may have to revisit it at some point. I work about 5 miles away from Pawtucket.
   6. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM (#5424771)

Heine and the fair Marguerite:
   7. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM (#5424776)
Here's a second baseman who never played professionally, but is in his country's Hall of Fame. Given the competition, I'm pretty sure he would make today's birthday team.

"Takeo Tabe was born on March 28, 1906 in Hiroshima, Japan. He attended Meiji University where he played every position but catcher. In 1935, he toured the United States and Canada with the Dai Nippon Tokyo club and stole 109 bases in 105 games. 'Nippon's contribution to a backstop's nightmare,' reported the Ogden Standard-Examiner on May 23, 1935, 'are the fleet toes of Takeo Tabe. The Meiji university star, who teams with Hisanori Karita to form the smoothest middle sack combination ever blended in the Orient, is a demon on the base paths.'

Tabe never played in the Japanese Professional League which launched in 1936. He served with the military during World War II and died in combat in June 1945.

Takeo Tabe was inducted in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame in 1969."
   8. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 28, 2017 at 01:13 PM (#5424793)

Heine and the fair Marguerite:

How can you not love this site?
   9. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: March 28, 2017 at 01:38 PM (#5424822)

Man, if ever anyone was just begging for an Albright...
   10. Perry Posted: March 28, 2017 at 02:58 PM (#5424881)
Heinie went on to lead the league in games played, plate appearances, hits, doubles, and on-base percentage. His trip home seems to have worked out well for everyone.

And 2 years later led the world champion Reds in WAR, just ahead of HOF-er Edd Roush.
   11. Hank Gillette Posted: March 28, 2017 at 08:14 PM (#5425023)
Heinie Groh, infielder, had left the local club at Memphis, Tenn., last night, and was now on a train to Cincinnati.

Did “heinie” mean back then what it means now?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick
for his generous support.