Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-28-2019

Memphis News Scimitar, March 28, 1919:

Karlo Black, who brought the grunt ball into existence, will not be listed among Southern league moundsmen this season…And thus passes one of the most unusual charactes that the Dixie major ever had.

When he brought the grunt ball into being, he was in Nashville pitching for Birmingham against the Vols…The harder Black tried to stop them, the more runs the Volunteers made.

The next frame Black started pitching “from der heart oudt,” and with every pitch he emitted a grunt…He was then and there dubbed the “grunt ball artist,” and has always been known so ever since.

Black is a kraut-eating Dutchman, his real name being Karl Lautenschlager. But he showed that he was different from the oversea Hun by being a lover of sport and by getting rid of his obnoxious and tell-tale handle.

Yeah, if there’s one thing we know about Germans, it’s that they don’t like sports.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, pitches

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 28, 2019 at 11:04 AM (#5826063)
Happy Opening Day!

I don't think I'm being out of line when I mention that EveryBaseballScore.com is still a thing, still ad-free, and still has live and quickly self-updating scores from every game in MLB and MiLB on one page. I try not to be obnoxious about promoting it, but I'm not making money on it, I'm not trying to make money on it, and it's really neat.

If there are any Javascript coders out there willing to let me pick their brain and occasionally correct my awful noob attempts at implementing new features, shoot me an email. dan at cheese-industries dot com. Can I pay you? No. But will I be able to pay in the future? Also no. I don't expect a lot of takers here, but, y'know, it doesn't hurt to ask.
   2. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 28, 2019 at 11:08 AM (#5826066)
Today's Birthday Team is decidedly not a contender.

C: Jimmie Coker (-0.2 WAR)
1B: Glenn Davis (19.7 WAR)
2B: Craig Paquette (-1.6 WAR)
3B: Harry Gleason (0.7 WAR)
SS: Tom McLaughlin (0.9 WAR)
LF: Johnny Johnston (0.4 WAR)
CF: Jimmy Barrett (19.0 WAR)
RF: Ryan Christenson (0.2 WAR)

SP: Lon Warneke (46.2 WAR)
SP: Vic Raschi (16.4 WAR)
SP: Paul Wilson (2.0 WAR)
SP: Joe Krakauskas (2.0 WAR)
SP: Shawn Boskie (1.2 WAR)
RP: Mark Melancon (10.1 WAR)
RP: Bryan Morris (2.5 WAR)

Owner: Gussie Busch
Amateur infielder in the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame: Takeo Tabe
Not the knuckleballer: Steve Sparks
   3. salvomania Posted: March 28, 2019 at 11:25 AM (#5826074)
Can someone throw up an Opening Day Omnichatter?
   4. The Mighty Quintana Posted: March 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM (#5826094)
January 10, 1991: Glenn Davis Traded by the Houston Astros to the Baltimore Orioles for Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Schilling.

oof - bet the O's would like a do-over on that one.....
   5. SoSH U at work Posted: March 28, 2019 at 12:10 PM (#5826112)
oof - bet the O's would like a do-over on that one.....

And the Stros would love to have a do-over on the aftermath. They got some a little value out of Harnisch and more out of Finley, but nothing from Schilling. And the best player they managed to extract in deals involving them (which also included sending Caminiti packing), was Mr. Operation Shutdown.

6. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 28, 2019 at 12:15 PM (#5826118)
My five-point plan to Make Opening Day Great Again:

1) Declare Opening Day a national holiday so every American can enjoy baseball all day long.
2) Cincinnati hosts the season opener with a 12:05pm local start time.
3) Founding American League franchises Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, and Oakland host AL-opening games with 3:35 local start times.
4) All other teams play with 7:05 local start times.
5) Everyone starts on the same day. No more of these #FakeOpeningDay stunts.

I am Pat Rapper's Delight, and I approved this message.
   7. salvomania Posted: March 28, 2019 at 12:48 PM (#5826149)
All other teams play with 7:05 local start times.

That would be opening night.
   8. RickA. Posted: March 28, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5826239)
3) Founding American League franchises Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, and Oakland host AL-opening games with 3:35 local start times

The original AL Orioles moved to NY and became the Yankees. Although, I assume you mean the Browns, who moved to Baltimore and you omitted the Yankees.
   9. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: March 28, 2019 at 02:36 PM (#5826249)
Although, I assume you mean the Browns, who moved to Baltimore and you omitted the Yankees.

I assume you mean the Brewers.
   10. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 28, 2019 at 03:09 PM (#5826289)
I assume you mean the Browns, who moved to Baltimore and you omitted the Yankees.

Nope. I'm using baseball-reference franchise histories that have the New York Highlanders beginning play in 1903 and the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers moving to St. Louis for 1902 then Baltimore in 1954.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.