Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-30-2017

Ogden Standard, March 30, 1917:

[A famous bat maker says Benny Kauff] “buys more bats—has them made to order too—than all the rest of the club put together. He doesn’t order just one bat or maybe two, as others do. He orders from one dozen to two dozen at a clip. And he goes right down the line, trying one at a time, until he gets a good stick. He then sticks to that one until he has a bad slump in hitting. Then he destroys the whole lot and buys a new set.”

Benny Kauff was a strange guy. Anyway, the article later reports that Kauff says he’s learned to wait for good balls to hit, then “bust ‘em”. Maybe he did, but both his walk and strikeout rates declined in 1917, so there’s not a ton of evidence he was going deeper into counts.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: March 30, 2017 at 10:56 AM (#5425871)
A decent Birthday Team today. Just don't ask them to wear throwback uniforms.

C: Josh Bard (3.2 WAR)
1B: Ripper Collins (23.52 WAR)
2B: Hal Rhyne (3.38 WAR)
3B: Ed Gremminger (5.47 WAR)
SS/Manager: Tom Burns (22.02 WAR)
LF/SP: George Van Haltren (42.45 WAR)
CF: Dennis Casey (0.73 WAR)
RF: Jake Marisnick (5.2 WAR)

SP: Chris Sale (31.1 WAR)
SP: Dick Fowler (8.01 WAR)
SP: Dick Woodson (3.75 WAR)
SP: Jason Dickson (3.1 WAR)
RP: Dave Baldwin (3.6 WAR)

15 Game Winner: Jeriome Robertson (-2.1 WAR)
Fun name: Conrad Cardinal
LF when Van Haltren pitches: Dutch Meier
   2. JJ1986 Posted: March 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM (#5425881)
Is there anywhere on the internet to listen to the Mets/51s game that's going on right now?
   3. BDC Posted: March 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM (#5425889)
The Robins eliminated the New York Giants from pennant contention, 10-5, on 30 September 1927 at Ebbets Field. Dazzy Vance gave up three runs in the first two innings, shrugged that off, and then watched his mates take a 10-3 lead, a score he proceeded to pitch to through nine. (Well, he didn't watch, this being long before the DH rule; Vance scored one of the ten himself.)

It's games like this that I always bring up when somebody argues that guys on 67-win teams can't be MVP because they played no meaningful games. Vance was third in the NL in bWAR in 1927, and he was pitching and winning crucial games in the stretch – yet he got not a single MVP vote.

The Pirates, meanwhile, lost in Cincinnati while the second-place Cardinals were idle, meaning that there was still a mathematical chance of a tie for first place. Spoiler alert, that didn't happen.

The 1927 World Series ran four consecutive days (5-6-7-8 October), no travel day between two in Oakland and two in the Bronx. You probably know who won this one, too. I will try to post remarks on each of the games next week, maybe a day "early" in each case because the 8th will be a Saturday in our universe. And then I'll pick a team to "follow" for 1928 and get back to real life for the duration of the 2017 season :)
   4. GGC Posted: March 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM (#5425969)
Baldwin is/was a SABR member. I used to see emails of his on SABR-L.
   5. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: March 30, 2017 at 12:33 PM (#5425973)
Steven Matz update:

* MRI came back "negative
* PRP injection in the elbow
* Will start the seson on the DL
* Won't begin throwing for at least 3 weeks
* Robert Gsellman #4 starter
* Zack Wheeler #5
   6. Rennie's Tenet Posted: March 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM (#5425979)
Joe Posnanski sort of closed down his Baseball 100 series after a year in 2014, did about 5 articles in the spring of 2015 and another 5 last spring. He hasn't done any this spring, so I guess its done-done now. I wanted to revisit it and figure who the remaining players would have been if completed:

The last article Posnanski did was 32. Grover Cleveland Alexander. The picks 100-32 included 71 players, though: Bagwell and Thomas were a "tie" at No. 61 and Posnanski wrote an article in the mid-fifties saying that he had just forgotten about Alan Trammell: here's his list down to 32:

Posnanski 100-32

There's also probably a 72nd player in this group now, as Adrian Beltre has had three good years since the series started and moved up to the top 50 lifetime in bWAR.

Posnanski said that the Top 50 would have a tie, a la Thomas and Bagwell, so that's 51 players in the Top 50. He hadn't picked the tie by No. 32, so there are 31 slots and 32 players remaining. I went through players by bWAR, deciding who was in and out by comparison with the players already selected (e.g., a starting pitcher would arguably be better than Alexander or Bob Gibson to be among the remaining 32). I came up with these 28 as necessarily in:

Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Roger Clemens, Tris Speaker, Honus Wagner, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Ted Williams, Alex Rodriguez, Lou Gehrig, Rickey Henderson, Ton Seaver, Mickey Mantle, Frank Robinson, Greg Maddux, Mike Schmidt, Lefty Grove, Randy Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Joe Morgan, Jimmy Foxx, Johnny Bench, Joe DiMaggio

These are the unselected players in the top 100 in bWAR, who I think are closed out by comparison with Posnanski's previous selections (in Anson's case, it's a lack of any other 19th century hitters anywhere on the list):

(34) Phil Niekro; (40) Cap Anson; (47) Eddie Plank; (49) Tim Keefe; (52) Fergie Jenkins; (53) George Davis; (54) Roger Conner; (55) John Clarkson; (58) Mike Mussina; (60) Tom Glavine; (67) Dan Brouthers; (71) Bobby Wallace; (73) Jim McCormick; (74) Paul Molitor; (75) Bill Dahlen; (76) Sam Crawford; (79) Luke Appling; (81) Pud Galvin; (83) Jim Thome; (86) Larry Walker; (87) Harry Heilmann; (89) Rafael Palmeiro; (90) Ted Lyons; (91) Johnny Mize; (93) Carlos Beltran; (93) Red Ruffing; (99) Rick Reuschel; (99) Scott Rolen

The 28 picks above leave four slots for non-Organized Baseball players: Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Oscar Charleston, and John Henry Lloyd.

Does this all make sense? I'm not very concerned about the actual rankings, as I would probably change them from day to day, depending on what I was thinking about that day.

7. Mellow Mouse, Benevolent Space Tyrant Posted: March 30, 2017 at 01:08 PM (#5426010)
Also on the Birthday team is perhaps the greatest race horse of all time - Secretariat.

At 3:(1973)

WINS: Kentucky Derby (new track record), Preakness Stakes (new track record), Belmont Stakes (new WORLD record), Bay Shore Stakes, Gotham Stakes (tied track record), Arlington Invitational, Marlboro Cup (new WORLD record), Man O’War Stakes (new course record), Canadian International
PLACE: Woodward Stakes, Whitney Stakes
SHOW: Wood Memorial
Champion 3 year-old colt ~ Champion Grass Horse ~ Horse of the Year
   8. GGC Posted: March 30, 2017 at 01:47 PM (#5426068)
I was alive when Secretariat won the 3C, but wasn't conscious of sports yet and wouldn't really be until 1975. Thus, in my mind, Hank Aaron ins the Brewers DH.
   9. vortex of dissipation Posted: March 30, 2017 at 02:04 PM (#5426084)
Baldwin is/was a SABR member. I used to see emails of his on SABR-L.

He wrote a memoir, "Snake Jazz", which is quite good.
   10. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: March 30, 2017 at 03:17 PM (#5426177)
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is exactly as old as Bud Selig was the day he became acting commissioner of major league baseball (21,224 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as items for themselves here.

For example, today the site tells me that I'm exactly half as old as Old Aches and Pains Luke Appling was the day he died.
   11. Hysterical & Useless Posted: March 30, 2017 at 04:42 PM (#5426245)
I was never a big horse racing fan (I remember Carry Back and Kelso...); Secretariat was the last horse I paid any attention to. Magnificent creature. Most often, record times are set when the leader is really being pushed (sort of a "fleeing for my life" reaction) but Big Red just ran away from the field. Just really loved to run.

12. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: March 30, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5426253)
Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as items for themselves here.

Ummmm,

Singer Whitney Houston is exactly as old as Jim Henson was the day he died (19,592 days).

No, not really.
   13. tolbuck Posted: March 30, 2017 at 05:13 PM (#5426280)
I was never a big horse racing fan (I remember Carry Back and Kelso...); Secretariat was the last horse I paid any attention to. Magnificent creature. Most often, record times are set when the leader is really being pushed (sort of a "fleeing for my life" reaction) but Big Red just ran away from the field. Just really loved to run.

This is just a myth. Secretariat was unquestionably pushed during his TC run. Sham was runner up in both the Derby and the Preakness that year. Sham ran the fifth fastest Preakness of all time. Sham's Derby time is disputed, but the range puts it as either the second or the fourth fastest of all time. Sham ran neck and neck with Secretariat for half the Belmont before he tired. People remember Secretariat running away at the end of the Belmont and think he did that in every race, but that wasn't the case.
   14. BDC Posted: March 30, 2017 at 05:21 PM (#5426284)
in my mind, Hank Aaron is the Brewers DH

Heh, I've got items like that too. For me, Eddie Mathews is playing for the Tigers. Johnny Unitas is an old guy backing up Earl Morrall, and Oscar Robertson is somebody the Bucks brought in to help out Lew Alcindor.
   15. TDF, trained monkey Posted: March 30, 2017 at 06:53 PM (#5426335)
This is just a myth. Secretariat was unquestionably pushed during his TC run.
I just check wikipedia and watched the videos on youtube because I was interested, and you're wrong.

Kentucky Derby: After a slow start, Secretariat ran each 1/4 faster than the previous. He didn't catch Sham until the homestretch because of the slow start but was pulling away at the finish, winning by more than a length.

Preakness: Last out of the gate. Completely blew by the field in the backstretch and heading into the turn. Once again was running away at the finish.

Belmont: He won by what, 1,000,000 lengths? Seriously - no horse could be said to have a "pushed" him in that race, and yet he was once again opening the lead at the finish.

In each of the first 2 races, he ran as he usually did - slow start, then ran past and away from the other horses. I'm sorry, but there was absolutely no "pushing" in either race. And the Belmont speaks for itself.
   16. Perry Posted: March 30, 2017 at 07:07 PM (#5426346)
Heh, I've got items like that too. For me, Eddie Mathews is playing for the Tigers. Johnny Unitas is an old guy backing up Earl Morrall, and Oscar Robertson is somebody the Bucks brought in to help out Lew Alcindor.

For me, George Blanda and Lou Groza are just placekickers, Gil Hodges is a manager, and Bob Cousy is player-coach of the Cincinnati Royals.
   17. GGC Posted: March 31, 2017 at 10:40 AM (#5426621)
The Red Sox should wear red caps and polyester while the Yankees play at Shea Stadium. Relievers arrive at the mound in a ball shaped cart and some NL teams wear pillbox caps will playing on Astroturf in concrete ashtrays.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.