Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 3-8-2012

Grantland Rice in the Washington Times, March 8, 1912:

Gabby Street figures that Washington’s Monument would make the greatest pitcher in the world if it could be trained for this purpose—i.e., that of dropping the ball from the top while some batsman waited below to whale the missile on the trade-mark. Gabby has handled both, and he states that the top of George’s towering dome has more speed than Johnson at his best.

Interesting insight. The terminal velocity of a falling baseball is around 95 MPH, so Street’s suggesting Walter Johnson’s fastball topped out in the low 90s. Obviously this is only a subjective opinion, but that’s about the best we’ll ever do with players of that era.

Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 04:02 AM | 56 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 04:04 AM (#4076606)
Some pretty nice bats on the Birthday Team. And if you want to be a starting pitcher today, your first name had better begin with J.

C: Ray Mueller
1B: Dick Allen
2B: Ryan Freel
SS: Ollie O'Mara
3B: Harry Lord
LF: Jim Rice
CF: Pete Fox
RF: Carl Furillo

SP: Jim Bouton
SP: Justin Thompson
SP: John Butcher
SP: Jim Hughey
SP: Jack Bentley
RP: Lance McCullers

Imaginary Friend: Farney
World-Class Goofball and Living Tragicomedy: Win Remmerswaal
   2. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4076654)
It's noted in the all-birthday team but it's also up at THT - today is Dick Allen's 70th birthday. I wonder if Dick Allen turning 70 makes anyone out it THT-land feel old.
   3. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:09 AM (#4076658)
I'm more surprised that he's only 10 years older than Dave Winfield. They seem like they're from two different eras.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:21 AM (#4076667)
while some batsman waited below to whale the missile on the trade-mark

I was born a century too late. I just love this stuff.
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:25 AM (#4076671)
It's noted in the all-birthday team but it's also up at THT - today is Dick Allen's 70th birthday. I wonder if Dick Allen turning 70 makes anyone out it THT-land feel old.

I'm more surprised that he's only 10 years older than Dave Winfield. They seem like they're from two different eras.

As one who shares a birth year** with Dave Winfield, and suffered the heart break of my early life in 1964 along with Allen, yeah, I feel old, wise ###.

** I'll match my birth year RF depth against anyone's. Winfield, Dave Parker and Dwight Evans.
   6. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:47 AM (#4076689)
I'll match my birth year RF depth against anyone's. Winfield, Dave Parker and Dwight Evans.

I've got Vlad, J.D. Drew, and...Richard Hidalgo? Not terrible.

Team 1975's 25-man roster:
C: Rod Barajas, Jose Molina
1B: David Ortiz, Derrek Lee
2B: Placido Polanco, Luis Castillo
3B: Scott Rolen, Carlos Guillen
SS: Alex Rodriguez, David Eckstein
LF: J.D. Drew
CF: Torii Hunter, Mark Kotsay
RF: Vladimir Guerrero, Richard Hidalgo

SP: Tim Hudson
SP: Chris Carpenter
SP: Livan Hernandez
SP: Doug Davis
SP: Eric Milton

RP: Francisco Cordero
RP: Scot Shields
RP: B.J. Ryan
RP: Rafael Betancourt
RP: Brian Fuentes
   7. Flynn Posted: March 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM (#4076692)
Remmerswaal was the first Dutch-trained player to play in the majors.
   8. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4076705)
Remmerswaal also threw 4.1 innings in the 33-inning fiasco between Rochester and Pawtucket in 1981. Dan Barry's book about that game spends a few pages on Remmerswaal's story. Fascinating guy...sounds like he was much more talented than his numbers would suggest, but he had absolutely no work ethic and a huge drinking problem.

That's a terrific book, by the way. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's one of the five best baseball books I've ever read. Barry's got some serious writing chops - he's lyrical and poetic without being heavy-handed with his prose. It never feels forced.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 11:08 AM (#4076713)
Twins sign LHP Glen Perkins to a 3 yr/$10.3 mill extension. He was really good last year out of the pen, but seemed like a fringy Major Leaguer to me before that. Guess his velocity went up last year.
   10. just plain joe Posted: March 08, 2012 at 11:27 AM (#4076732)
As one who shares a birth year** with Dave Winfield, and suffered the heart break of my early life in 1964 along with Allen, yeah, I feel old, wise ###.

I share a birth year with Winfield as well; big Dave was the last player in MLB who was older than me. Now the team owners are older than I am, where did my life go?
   11. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 11:33 AM (#4076737)
joe, I think that there is only one GM older than us, IIRC from last year. That's sad, my friend.
   12. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 11:58 AM (#4076761)
You can add me as Fan/Scribe for the March 8th team. Which is why I can't be 100% against Jim Rice's HoF induction--March 8 has a rep, baby!
   13. SoSH U at work Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:01 PM (#4076764)
joe, I think that there is only one GM older than us, IIRC from last year. That's sad, my friend.

It depends on when you were born in 1951, though probably not. Alderson's got you by four years, but Jack Z was also born the same year, but on Jan. 11.

Hope that cheers you up.

14. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:08 PM (#4076771)
Thanks, SoSH. There's twice as many GMs older than me than I thought!

I had no idea Jack Z. was such a codger. :)
   15. Anonymous Observer Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:34 PM (#4076808)
#6, that looks like a team that could win the World Series.

Which leads to my question, for anybody who isn't as lazy as I am and wants to research it. Are there any "year" 25 man rosters that don't look like they could win the World Series?
   16. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:39 PM (#4076817)
Are there any "year" 25 man rosters that don't look like they could win the World Series?

I'm guessing anything after 1990 is going to look pretty bad.

My 1971 birth team

C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Jason Giambi
2B: Ray Durham
3B: Bill Mueller
SS: Rich Aurilia
LF: Ryan Klesko
CF: Marvin Benard
RF: Brian Giles
DH: Raul Mondesi
Bench: Jorge Posada, Phil Nevin, Benny Agbayani, Mark Loretta, Kevin Millar, Wil Cordero

SP: Pedro Martinez
SP: Mike Sirotka
SP: Jose Contreras
SP: Esteban Loaiza
SP: "Scuffy" Moehler
RP: Billy Wagner

Some good hitters, a decent bench, and a legendary #1 starter.

I don't think they'd win a World Series, simply because the starting pitching isn't enough to get them into the playoffs in the first place.
   17. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4076819)
Double post
   18. Randy Jones Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4076822)
Which leads to my question, for anybody who isn't as lazy as I am and wants to research it. Are there any "year" 25 man rosters that don't look like they could win the World Series?

My birth year, 1979, is not so great. Buehrle and Santana in the rotation and some decent starters and relievers to go with them, but the hitting is pretty mediocre.
   19. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4076838)
1974:

C: Jason Kendall
1B: Richie Sexson
2B: Jose Vidro
3B: Mike Lowell
SS: Derek Jeter
LF: Magglio Ordonez
CF: Darin Erstad
RF: Bobby Abreu
Bench: Miguel Tejada, Hideki Matsui, Orlando Cabrera, Jermaine Dye, Bengie Molina, Geoff, Jenkins, Randy Winn

SP: Kevin Millwood, Jarrod Washburn, Matt Morris, Kris Benson, Matt Clement
RP: Joe Nathan, Ugueth Urbina, Billy Koch, Braden Looper, John Rocker, Cliff Politte

With that starting pitching, I would start Orlando Cabrera at short. I'd like to have Tejada at second. Hopefully Jeter can learn center, because I hate Darin Erstad's face.

Most importantly, it would be fun to have Urbina and Rocker hanging out with each other all game.
   20. Randy Jones Posted: March 08, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4076845)
Actually, looking at it more closely, the 1979 team isn't too bad.

full team for 1979

C: Carlos Ruiz
1B: Kevin Youkilis
2B: Clint Barmes
3B: Adrian Beltre
SS: Jason Bartlett
LF: Adam Dunn
CF: David DeJesus
RF: Jayson Werth
DH: Ryan Howard
UT: Bill Hall

SP: Johan Santana
SP: Mark Buehrle
SP: Brandon Webb
SP: Jon Garland
SP: Erik Bedard
RP: Rafael Soriano
RP: Frank Francisco
RP: Juan Rincon
   21. Kiko Sakata Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4076861)
I don't think they'd win a World Series, simply because the starting pitching isn't enough to get them into the playoffs in the first place.

If you got the best years of Sirotka, Contreras, and Loaiza - which, oddly, would also be the "White Sox years" for all 3 - that'd be a playoff-worthy front 4.
   22. kthejoker Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:10 PM (#4076862)
http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/can-you-catch-a-baseball-dropped-off-the-empire-state-building

In 1938, for a publicity stunt, some Cleveland Indians caught baseballs that had been lobbed off a skyscraper.

In response, the publicity man for the San Francisco Seals pro baseball team came up with an idea to go them one better.He figured that catching a baseball tossed out of the Goodyear Blimp would set a world’s record and make a great season-opening stunt for the San Francisco team.

Not that he was completely unaware of the dangers. Figuring that extra padding and paraphernalia would lessen the impact, he recruited Seals catcher Joe Sprinz to do the honors while in full regalia.

At the appointed time, the blimp lumbered into position about 800 feet overhead. After much fanfare and ballyhoo, a player in the blimp dropped a ball and watched it disappear into the field below. It missed its mark and landed in the bleachers, cracking a board as it hit.

A second ball at least landed within the playing field, landing outside the baseline and imbedding itself in the dirt. A lesser man might’ve quit, but Sprinz was determined to see the stunt through. Finally the blimp got into perfect position, and a third ball came rifling from the sky. Joe positioned himself underneath it and waited while the speck rapidly grew in size as it came screaming toward his outstretched glove.

It hit the glove squarely and with a tremendous thwack, but it didn’t stay there. Before Sprinz could close his hand and capture the ball, it bounced up and hit him in the face, splitting his lip, breaking his upper jaw, and knocking out several of his teeth.

The ball then dropped to the ground, and so did Joe.

Joe Sprinz: The proto-Jackass.
   23. Davo Dozier Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:14 PM (#4076865)
If you can cherry-pick JUST their best season, I'm sure you'd get there:

Martinez, 2000: 217 innings, 291 era+, 10.1 WAR
Loaiza, 2003: 226 innings, 159 era+, 6.5 WAR
Sirotka, 2000: 197 innings, 133 era+, 3.7 WAR
Contreras, 2005: 204 innings, 125 era+, 3.9 WAR
Moehler, 1998: 221 innings, 121 era+, 3.7 WAR

Elmer Dessens and Miguel Batista put up 3+ WAR seasons during their career, too.
   24. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:27 PM (#4076876)
I agree that using "best-of" for the pitchers would get them in, but I was going by "average career value" (or something like that).

25. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4076878)
It hit the glove squarely and with a tremendous thwack, but it didn’t stay there. Before Sprinz could close his hand and capture the ball, it bounced up and hit him in the face, splitting his lip, breaking his upper jaw, and knocking out several of his teeth.

In the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" version of the story that I read when I was 10 years old (or so), he catches the ball but the "impact breaks his jaw".

As a kid, I could never figure out how that happened. I assumed he braced his shoulder against his jaw and the shockwave hit his chin.

It was very disheartening when I grew up and realized that "Not" was the better option for those series of stories/comics.
   26. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:49 PM (#4076905)
1951:

C: Jim Sundberg, John Stearns
1B: Dave Parker, Dan Driessen
2B: Bill Madlock, Rennie Stennett
SS: Rick Burleson, B. F. Dent
3B: Buddy Bell

LF: Dave Winfield, Jeff Burroughs
CF: Cesar Cedeno
RF: Dwight Evans

UT
Joel Youngblood

Bert Blyleven
Don Gullett
Dennis Leonard
Mike Flanagan
Dick Ruthven

Rich Gossage
Greg Minton
Vern Ruhle
Sid Monge
Dan Spillner
Don Stanhouse

Lineup:
Evans, Madlock, Winfield, Parker, Cedeno, Bell, Burleson, Sundberg

3 HOF, a number of HOVG. Nice, versatile lineup, strong bench (although it pales next to the 1974 uber-bench).
Pitching is good, very good, if Gullett stays healthy :(
I like the OF Defense. Winfield in left!

Team could win a WS

P.S.
I'd try Parker at 1B, although back in the day, Evans would have been the one who moved because of Parker's rep/arm rep.
Madlock played less games at 2B than I remembered, but I'd want his bat over Stennett.
Youngblood gets on (he's borderline) because we share the same date of birth
Pat yourself on the back if you knew that Jim Essian had a higher WAR than Alan Ashby. Strong AAA catching!

EDIT: Pete Mackanin (53-53) is the only one of 9 managers who had a .500 record.
   27. JJ1986 Posted: March 08, 2012 at 01:54 PM (#4076908)
It depends on when you were born in 1951, though probably not. Alderson's got you by four years, but Jack Z was also born the same year, but on Jan. 11.

Walt Jocketty was also born in early 1951.

I'm surprised Terry Ryan's not older. I figured he was in his 70s.
   28. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:04 PM (#4076926)
Heh, I thought Jocketty was just younger than me. When he went to the Reds and his age was listed, I was stunned because I thought by looks he was 10 years older than me. (or at least older than the vision my distorted mirror plays back to me)
   29. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:07 PM (#4076929)
I can live with this team.

1970:

C: Javy Lopez
1B: Jim Thome
2B: Craig Counsell
SS: Mark Grudzielanek
3B: Olmedo Sáenz

LF: Bobby Higginson
CF: Jim Edmonds
RF: Damon Buford

SP
Wilson Alvarez
Jon Lieber
Steve Trachsel
Rick Helling
Darren Oliver
Aaron Sele

RP
Eddie Guardado
   30. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4076939)
This is a perfect chance to pimp my "All-Month" series of articles I'm doing on Hardball Times. Now featuring March!
   31. Der-K thinks the Essex Green were a good band. Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:22 PM (#4076945)
'73 is oddly weak.

11 position players with 10+ career WAR, 10 made A-S teams.

c - mitch meluskey (3rd in career WAR for catchers fromthe year... with two)
1b - todd helton
2b - edgardo alfonzo
3b - casey blake or corey koskie
ss - nomar garciaparra
of - johnny damon, mike cameron, ichiro!
dh - mike sweeney

bench candidates:
c: vance wilson or eli marrero
cm: dmitri young, tony batista, aaron boone,
mi: alex gonzalez over neifi, todd walker, and geoff blum
of: if not casey blake, maybe todd hollandsworth

9 10+ WAR pitchers, 9 all-stars (including jason dickson(?))
rotation: bartolo colon, jason schmidt, derek lowe, izzy valdez, chan ho park
bullpen: danny graves, ryan franklin, octavio dotel,
among those looking for a middle relief spot: bob howry, justin thompson, john thomson, shawn estes, brett tomko, jose jimenez

manager: brandon hyde
   32. SoSH U at work Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:28 PM (#4076953)
I'd try Parker at 1B, although back in the day, Evans would have been the one who moved because of Parker's rep/arm rep.

Evans rep/arm rep was as good as Parker's, with the added bonus of being an accurate representation of his ability.

33. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4076962)
SoSH, the memory of Parker rep > Evans rep is probably my NL bias in listening habits. The Phils announceers, including Ashburn, were just in awe of the Cobra.
   34. SoSH U at work Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:43 PM (#4076964)
SoSH, the memory of Parker rep > Evans rep is probably my NL bias in listening habits. The Phils announceers, including Ashburn, were just in awe of the Cobra.

I'd say there reps were pretty equal overall. But Parker's reputation really wasn't deserved. He was not a terribly good outfielder, and he was just as likely to use that powerful right wing to airmail the catcher as he was to throw a guy out at the plate, all-star heroics notwithstanding.

35. The Long Arm of Rudy Law Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4076965)
If you can cherry-pick JUST their best season, I'm sure you'd get there:

Martinez, 2000: 217 innings, 291 era+, 10.1 WAR
Loaiza, 2003: 226 innings, 159 era+, 6.5 WAR
Sirotka, 2000: 197 innings, 133 era+, 3.7 WAR
Contreras, 2005: 204 innings, 125 era+, 3.9 WAR
Moehler, 1998: 221 innings, 121 era+, 3.7 WAR

Or you can do:
Martinez 2000
Martinez 1999
Martinez 1997
Martinez 2003
Martinez 1998

Loaiza 2003 can spot-start if somebody needs a rest. The seventh-through eleventh starters would be Pedro too.
   36. Davo Dozier Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4076966)
I'm one of the youngest posters here, and my team shows it. Maybe in 10 years we'll have a better idea...

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
1b Daric Barton
2b Neil Walker
3b Evan Longoria
Ss Asdrubal Cabrera
Lf Carlos Gonzalez
Cf Adam Jones
Rf Ryan Sweeney

Bench: Carlos Gomez, Delmon Young, Ian Desmond, Ian Stewart, Sean Rodriguez, Chris Coghlan, Jon Jay, Emilio Bonifacio.

SP David Price
SP John Danks
SP Justin Masterson
SP Gio Gonzalez
SP Wade Davis
RP David Robertson
RP Johnny Venters
RP Tyler Clippard
RP Eric O'Flaherty
RP Mark Melancon
CL Chris Perez

Lots of current/former A's and Rays. And, of course, the most ridiculous middle relief tandem in baseball history.
   37. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:53 PM (#4076973)
Davo, a quality start for your team only needs to be 3 innings. That's a crazy good BP.
   38. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4076975)
He was not a terribly good outfielder, and he was just as likely to use that powerful right wing to airmail the catcher as he was to throw a guy out at the plate, all-star heroics notwithstanding.

Agreed. That's why I would put Parker at 1B on my team. But I didn't consider the 3-6-3 DP, where Parker might nail the 375' marker in left center once or twice a year.
   39. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: March 08, 2012 at 02:57 PM (#4076977)
1963:

C - Mike Stanley
1B - Mark McGwire
2B - Bip Roberts
SS - Walt Weiss
3B - Ken Caminiti
LF - Bobby Bonilla
CF - Len Dykstra
RF - Paul O'Neill
DH - Edgar Martinez

SP - Randy Johnson
SP - David Cone
SP - David Wells
SP - Chris Bosio
SP - Terry Mulholland
RP - Bobby Thigpen
RP - Bryan Harvey
RP - Jeff Fassero
RP - Norm Charlton
RP - Jeff Brantley

Bench - Fred McGriff, Jose Oquendo, Lance Johnson, Mike Greenwell, Matt Nokes, Shawon Dunston.

Not bad.
   40. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:15 PM (#4076994)
The year before:

C Terry Steinbach
1B Wally Joyner
2B Robby Thompson
3B Kevin Seitzer
SS Dick Schofield
LF Eric Davis
CF Devon White
RF Daryl Strawberry
DH Kevin Mitchell

Bench: Darren Daulton, Dave Magadan, Joe Orsulak, Cory Snyder, Bo Jackson

SP Roger Clemens
SP Jaime Moyer
SP Chuck Finley
SP Doug Drabek
SP Mark Gubicza

CL Randy Myers
SU Jeff Montgomery
LP Dan Plesac
LP Dennis Cook
RP Todd Frohwirth
RP Donn Pall

Manager: John Farrell

I just think its cool that Moyer is on this list.
   41. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:20 PM (#4077001)

C Mike Scioscia
1B Pete O'Brien
2B Julio Franco
3B Wade Boggs
SS Dickie Thon
SS Alan Trammell
LF Rickey Henderson
CF Willie McGee
RF Von Hayes
DH Gary Gaetti

Bench: Don Slaught, Pat Tabler, Bill Doran, Scott Fletcher, Dave Henderson, Gary Pettis

SP Orel Hershiser
SP Bruce Hurst
SP Dan Petry
SP Walt Terrell
SP Atlee Hammaker

CL Dave Righetti
LH Steve Howe
LH Jim Acker
LH Juan Agosto
LH Lee Guetterman
LH Ed Vande berg

Great lineup, not so great pitching.
   42. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4077006)

C Mike Piazza
1B Jeff Bagwell
2B Roberto Alomar
3B Gary Sheffield
SS Jose Vizcaino
LF Sammy Sosa
CF Bernie Williams
RF Tim Salmon
DH Frank Thomas

Bench: John Olerud, Jeff Kent, Chuck Knoblauch, Carlos Baerga, Dean Palmer, Matt Stairs

SP Mike Mussina
SP Scott Erickson
SP Hideo Nomo
SP Daryl Kile
SP Pat Hentgen

CL Todd Jones
SU Rod Beck
RH Russ Springer
RH Paul Quantrill
LH Scott Radinsky
RP Curt Leskanic

Manager: Eric Wedge
   43. Kiko Sakata Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4077010)

C Mike Piazza
1B Jeff Bagwell, John Olerud
2B Robbie Alomar, Jeff Kent, Carlos Baerga, Chuck Knoblauch
3B Dean Palmer (I'd probably put Kent here)
SS Jose Offerman, Jose Vizcaino (I'm tempted to move Alomar here, and go w/ Baerga or Knoblauch at 2B)
LF Gary Sheffield, Tim Salmon
CF Bernie Williams
RF Sammy Sosa
DH Frank Thomas
PH Matt Stairs

SP Mike Mussina
SP Denny Neagle
SP Darryl Kile
SP Hideo Nomo
SP Pat Hentgen
SP Scott Erickson

RP Kent Mercker
RP Scott Radinsky
RP Paul Quantrill
CL Rod Beck

Not the greatest pitching staff and pretty bad defensively, but I think this team could make up for it enough to win a lot of 10-8 games. I'm a little troubled that my #3 starter and closer are both deceased.

EDIT: Interesting that two of us did 1968 at the same time. Somehow, I missed Todd Jones, although I'd probably still have Beck as my closer.
   44. Davo Dozier Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4077011)
Hmm...I think I'll take 1968 against the field.
   45. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4077019)
If you play the DH, who does 1968 bat 8th, Bernie?

Lineup: Alomar, Bagwell, Thomas, Sheff, Sosa, Salmon, Piazza, Williams, Vizcaino?
   46. Davo Dozier Posted: March 08, 2012 at 03:41 PM (#4077031)
Well, 1964:

C BJ Surhoff
1b Will Clark/Mark Grace
2b Mark McLemore
3b Jeff King
Ss Barry Larkin
Lf Barry Bonds
Cf Ellis Burks/Brady Anderson
Rf Jose Canseco/Jay Buhner
DH Rafael Palmeiro

Bench: Ozzie Guillen (player-manager), Mike MacFarlane, Stan Javier, Craig Grebeck Darryl Hamilton

SP Bret Saberhagen
SP Dwight Gooden
SP Kenny Rogers
SP Kevin Tapani
SP John Burkett
SP Joe Magrane
RP Rob Dibble
RP Michael Jackson
RP Mitch (Wild Thing) Williams
RP Duane Ward
RP Mike Fetters
CL Roberto Hernandez
   47. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4077090)
Guys my age (born in 1978);

C Victor Martinez
1B Carlos Pena
2B Chase Utley
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Jimmy Rollins
LF Jason Bay
CF Vernon Wells
RF Milton Bradley
DH Luke Scott

Bench: Miguel Olivo, Cristian Guzman, Chone Figgins, Xavier Nady, Juan Rivera

SP Cliff Lee
SP Barry Zito
SP John Lackey
SP Brad Penny
SP Aaron Harang

CL Jose Valverde
RP Kevin Gregg
RP Chad Qualls
LH John Grabow
RH Jon Rauch
RH Matt Guerrier.

DL - Nick Johnson

Meh.

48. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: March 08, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4077104)
C Mike Piazza
1B Jeff Bagwell
2B Roberto Alomar
3B Gary Sheffield
SS Jose Vizcaino
LF Sammy Sosa
CF Bernie Williams
RF Tim Salmon
DH Frank Thomas

Bench: John Olerud, Jeff Kent, Chuck Knoblauch, Carlos Baerga, Dean Palmer, Matt Stairs

That team will score a lot of runs, but they have probably the worst defense in history. Better hope Bernie, Vizcaino, and Piazza are true iron men, 'cause there's no one on the bench to spell them. And good luck subbing in Palmer and his -9.8 dWAR in for Sheffield. I suppose you could put Kent there, but then what's Palmer doing on the roster instead of a SS, CF, or C?
   49. just plain joe Posted: March 08, 2012 at 04:38 PM (#4077105)
Great lineup, not so great pitching.

You can just LOOGY them to death, although I believe that Acker is actually right-handed.
   50. Davo Dozier Posted: March 08, 2012 at 05:00 PM (#4077129)
What I learned from this exercise: Stan Javier had a hell of a career.

Now, at first look, that seems off. During a 17 year career, he never hit .300, and his season-high home run total was 10. And he never got over 510 PAs in a season. Even if we assemble a 'dream' season for him--in which he matches his season high in ever category--we still wind up with a guy who wouldn't even make an All Star game: .298/385/401, 10 homers, 56 RBIs, 81 runs, 36 steals.

And I remember him for being completely unremarkable in every aspect of the game--an outfielder who couldn't hit for power OR average, and was so-so as a base-stealer. I was very close to leaving him off even my list of "Bench" players on the 1964 Birth Year team...until I discovered that he had 25 WAR in his career.

25 is a big number. Alfonso Soriano hasn't reached it. Jay Buhner--my starter in right!--never got there. Joe Carter's just shy. Recently-retired Pat Burrell didn't make it. I even count 5 Hall of Famers who are shy! Granted, they're all mistakes, but still! George Kelly, Lloyd Waner, Bruce Sutter, Rollie Fingers, and Rube Marquard....all worse than Stan Javier!

It's just amazing. A 4th outfielder who slugged .363 in the Sillyball era is good for 25 WAR. What an odd player.
   51. Mike Emeigh Posted: March 08, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4077146)
The 1955'ers:

C/Mgr Bruce Bochy
1B Jack Clark
2B Jim Pankovits (there really isn't anyone else)
3B Barry Evans (ditto)
SS Robin Yount
LF Lonnie Smith
CF Willie Wilson
RF Chet Lemon

SP Dennis Martinez
SP Jack Morris
SP Mike Scott
SP Floyd Bannister
SP Bryn Smith or Danny Darwin
RP Jeff Reardon
RP Dave Smith
LHP/RHP Greg Harris
Pitching Coach Ray Searage

Not all that bad, but not much in the way of infield depth. Clark and Yount would be out there every day. There are other outfielders, too - Dwayne Murphy, Lee Mazzilli, Jeffrey Leonard.

-- MWE
   52. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 08, 2012 at 05:44 PM (#4077164)

Manager: Whitey Herzog

C Ed Bailey
1B Joe Cunningham
2B Frank Bolling
SS Ernie Banks
3B Eddie Matthews
LF Mickey Mantle
CF Willie Mays
RF Bill Virdon

Bench: C Hal Smith, IF Charlie Neal, 3B Ken Boyer, OF Bob Skinner

SP Jim Bunning
SP Larry Jackson

No other good pitchers. Too bad you can't combine them with 1935:

Bob Gibson
Sandy Koufax
Jim Perry
Mudcat Grant
Don Cardwell

With only Frank Robinson as a HOF-caliber hitter.
   53. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: March 08, 2012 at 05:55 PM (#4077173)
What I learned from this exercise: Stan Javier had a hell of a career.

Now, at first look, that seems off. During a 17 year career, he never hit .300, and his season-high home run total was 10. And he never got over 510 PAs in a season. Even if we assemble a 'dream' season for him--in which he matches his season high in ever category--we still wind up with a guy who wouldn't even make an All Star game: .298/385/401, 10 homers, 56 RBIs, 81 runs, 36 steals.

And I remember him for being completely unremarkable in every aspect of the game--an outfielder who couldn't hit for power OR average, and was so-so as a base-stealer. I was very close to leaving him off even my list of "Bench" players on the 1964 Birth Year team...until I discovered that he had 25 WAR in his career.

It's just amazing. A 4th outfielder who slugged .363 in the Sillyball era is good for 25 WAR. What an odd player.

He had a nice late peak from 30-34, from when he rejoined Mark McGwire on the A's in 1994, to his first three years with Barry Bonds on the late-90's Giants.
   54. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: March 08, 2012 at 06:04 PM (#4077180)
I always confused Stan Javier and Dave Magadan. Can't quite figure out why.
   55. Bob Evans Posted: March 08, 2012 at 07:38 PM (#4077236)

C - Mark Salas
1B - Don Mattingly
2B - Fred Manrique
3B - Greg Gagne
SS - Spike Owen
LF - John Kruk
CF - Vince Coleman (no choice, really)
RF - Dan Pasqua
DH - Andres Galarraga

SP - Jimmy Key, Kevin Gross, Tim Belcher, Bill Swift, Scott Garrelts
RP - Rick Aguilera, Jeff Russell, Mike Henneman, Jeff Parrett
   56. Sweatpants Posted: March 08, 2012 at 07:49 PM (#4077244)
Wouldn't have guessed that Mattingly and Galarraga were born in the same year.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.