Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 12, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-12-2013

Washington Times, April 12, 1913:

Good-by, Rube! Manager Joe Cantillon, of Minneapolis, announces that he probably will send Rube Waddell to one of the smaller minor leagues, his usefulness in class AA being ended.

Rube ended up in Fargo, of all places, going 3-9 in 15 games for the Graingrowers. Waddell died of tuberculosis in the Spring of 1914.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 12, 2013 at 05:52 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, rube waddell

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 12, 2013 at 06:03 AM (#4411467)
Two Hall of Fame starting pitchers, a guy nicknamed "Boob", and a legendary hitting coach on today's Birthday Team.

C: Mike Macfarlane
1B: Paul Lo Duca
2B: Charlie Pick
3B: Eric McNair
SS: Terry Harmon
LF: Brennan Boesch
CF: Buster Hoover
RF: Walt Moryn

SP: Addie Joss
SP: Vic Willis
SP: Johnny Antonelli
SP: Woodie Fryman
SP: Bill Wight
RP: Vicente Romo

Hitting coach: Charlie Lau
Umpires: Terry Cooney, Alfonso Marquez
Owner: Tom Werner
   2. Drexl Spivey Posted: April 12, 2013 at 06:23 AM (#4411469)
Addie Joss is the reason why I know that "consumption" is a synonym for "tuberculosis."
   3. WahooSam Posted: April 12, 2013 at 09:08 AM (#4411538)
Rube was the bomb in OOTP8
   4. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM (#4411604)
Fargo North, decoder.

-- MWE
   5. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM (#4411633)
Always odd to have two excellent catchers on one of these teams, since some birthdays have nobody who caught more than 5 games.
   6. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM (#4411858)
Headed to the DBAP tonight for the first time in 2013. Pitching matchup is Freddy Garcia vs J.D. Martin, not exactly a thriller. Based on my game schedule this month it looks like Martin will be starting the next two times I go as well.

-- MWE
   7. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: April 12, 2013 at 01:52 PM (#4411918)
I'd considered going as well - matchup helped convince me to pass. What do you think of the new mascot race (Bull Durham characters)?
   8. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4411966)
Haven't been to the DBAP yet, so I don't know what to think of it until I actually see it. Although I'd bet it's better than having some four-year-old kid who can barely walk, let alone run, racing Wool E Bull.

-- MWE

EDIT: To be fair, that latter only happens once or twice a year, and that's on the parents IMO more than the team. I think sometimes people don't realize exactly how far it is around the bases. I liked the idea that one team had of starting both the kid and the mascot at 2B and just having them go halfway around.
   9. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 12, 2013 at 02:34 PM (#4412000)
Looking at the recent MLB players from my beloved homeland of Pennsylvania, I can't help but wonder if there are any powerhouse high school programs in the Northeast at all anymore. Every player seems to have come out of absolute nowhere and been an 89th round pick. The area scouts in this area must be putting in a lot of work.

Matt Adams - drafted out of Slippery Rock University
Chris Heisey - Messiah College
Anthony Recker - Alvernia College
Devin Mesoraco - Punxsutawney High School
Don Kelly - Point Park College. I never even realized Point Park had sports teams.
Nolan Reimond - found his way to Bowling Green, out of HS in Hermitage, PA (absolute nowhere). (first player ever in the majors from there)
J.J. Hoover - found his way to a CC in Alabama, out of Forward High School in Elizabeth, PA (near Donora!) (first player ever in the majors from there)
Jeff Bianchi - Lampeter-Strasburg HS (Amish country!)
Russ Canzler - Hazleton Area HS (Hazleton has produced Joe Maddon, and one other MLB player 50 years ago)
Josh Kinney - Port Allegany HS (absolute nowhere), then Quincy University (what?)
Anthony Lerew - Northern HS in Wellsville (absolute nowhere)

The only guys I notice who went to any sort of big suburban or urban high school are Taylor Buchholz, Mike Costanzo and Neil Walker. And of course our actual Division I college baseball programs never produce anybody.
   10. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 12, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4412027)
Point Park College. I never even realized Point Park had sports teams.

Point Park had a good NAIA basketball program in the 70s under coach Jerry Conboy.

The Pittsburgh Pipers, led by Connie Hawkins, won the first ABA title. The team moved to Minneapolis, then back to Pittsburgh, and they held a contest to rename the team, with a cash prize for whoever submitted the chosen name. The winner was "Pioneers," and at the press conference announcing the new name the first question was, "Has Point Park College agreed to let you use the name?" The Point Park teams (the school located in Downtown Pittsburgh) had been known as the Pioneers for many years.

The Piper people went back to the drawing board with a single goal: not to pay a second prize for a new name. They got a copy of The Big Book of Animals and began to compare it to the list of suggested names. When they reached the C's they came to "Condor," (a large animal that soars) and they found that no one had submitted the name Condors. And thus the Condors got their name.
   11. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 12, 2013 at 03:02 PM (#4412034)
Hermitage isn't quite "absolute nowhere"; it's near Sharon, which is north of New Castle and east of Youngstown just off I-80, and that's been a decent athletic hotbed over the years. Punxsutawney is a lot closer to nowhere than Hermitage. (I'll give you Port Allegany and Wellsville, though.)

-- MWE
   12. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 12, 2013 at 03:20 PM (#4412059)
I thought Hermitage was in Elk County or somewhere. Must have confused it with Emporium.

Sharon/New Castle definitely produce a lot of football players.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4412277)
Game of the day (yesterday): Giants 7, Cubs 6.

Part of the reason I started doing this last year was that it made an effective form of baseball therapy to counteract the fact that my favorite team sucked.

It’s not always a perfect solution.

The pitching matchup was Scott Feldman and Ryan Vogelsong. Three years ago, you’d have expected that to be a mismatch in Feldman’s favor; a lot can change in three years. Neither pitcher started too brilliantly, although their defenses didn’t help; Angel Pagan reached on Feldman’s own error in the top of the first, while Starlin Castro got an infield hit, took second on an errant throw from Nick Noonan, and moved to third on a wild pitch before stalling there. Feldman allowed two more singles in the second; Vogelsong bunted the runners to second and third, but Pagan took strike 3 to leave them both in scoring position.

The Cubs opened the scoring in the bottom of the inning. Nate Scheirholtz and Welington Castillo singled, and one out later, Brent Lillibridge hit into a force at second. Brandon Crawford’s return throw escaped, however, allowing Schierholtz to scamper home. After Feldman shut the Giants down in the third, Chicago added to their lead in the home half. Castro doubled with one out, and Anthony Rizzo homered, making it 3-0. One out later, Schierholtz singled and stole second, Castillo’s infield hit put runners on the corners, Luis Valbuena walked to load the bases, and Lillibridge singled to plate another pair of runners and extend the Cub advantage to 5.

The Giants didn’t waste any time responding to that offensive outburst. Hunter Pence led off the fourth with a single; two outs later, Noonan matched him. Vogelsong then reached on a Castro error that brought home San Francisco’s first run of the game, Pagan’s single added a second, and after Crawford was plunked to load the bases, Pablo Sandoval brought the Giants to within a run with a double. Vogelsong set the Cubs down in order, and the Giants went right back to work; Feldman allowed a hit to Brandon Belt and walked Gregor Blanco before being pulled with one out in the fifth, and Hisanori Takahashi yielded a single to Noonan, a game-tying RBI walk to Vogelsong of all people, a go-ahead sac fly to Pagan, and a tack-on RBI single to Crawford, making it 7-5 Giants.

And then it stopped, almost completely. Vogelsong was perfect in the fifth and sixth, and Takahashi worked a 1-2-3 sixth as well. Michael Bowden and Jeremy Affeldt worked in-order sevenths, making it 16 consecutive hitters set down (counting the last out in the top of the fifth). Crawford finally drew a walk from Bowden in the top of the eighth, and made it around to third on a pair of outs before being left there.

Down two in the bottom of the eighth, the Cubs got to Affeldt and Santiago Casilla for two doubles and a single. You’d figure on a tie game – at least for most teams. With the Cubs, Alfonso Soriano’s double and Schierholtz’s single put runners on the corners with none out, and they scored a run on the next play – but that play was a DP grounder from Castillo, which rendered Valbuena’s ensuing double unable to produce the tying run. James Russell worked a spotless ninth to give the offense another chance, and David DeJesus’s one-out double brought Castro and Rizzo up with the tying run in scoring position, but Sergio Romo fanned both of them to nail down the victory for the Giants.

For only having seven games and no absolute barn-burners, yesterday was quite a good day of baseball; four of the seven entries were between the 75th and 90th percentiles on the year so far, and two of the other three were above the median. That’s the range where it’s extremely pleasant to attend the game (even moreso than usual), but not always easy to find something fascinating to say about it, unless there’s an enormous brawl or an all-time record set or something.

Of course, both of those things happened yesterday too, so this is a case where you can easily pick an alternate GotD. And given the method of loss in this one, I encourage all other Cub fans to do so.
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM (#4412298)
Game of the day (1977): There were eight games on 4/11/77, and four of them rank among the top eight of the season to date. Even with that said, this is still an easy call in favor of 1977's best game so far.

Royals 5, Yankees 4 (13).

This might be the most retroactively nostalgic game of the season to date. Remember when the Royals were awesome, and had a huge rivalry with the Yankees? For that matter, remember when Whitey Herzog used to hit George Brett leadoff and Amos Otis cleanup?

The Yanks picked up a run in the first against Paul Splittorff when reigning AL MVP Thurman Munson doubled with two outs and scored on Jimmy Wynn’s single. (I had absolutely no memory of Wynn playing for the Yankees, which seems reasonable enough because he only had 92 PA for them – but the ones in this game came in the cleanup spot.) The Royals quickly struck back when Brett led off with a single against Dock Ellis (yes, that guy). Groundouts from Hal McRae and John Mayberry moved him to third, and Amos Otis then hit into an error by the usually-reliable Bucky Dent, bringing Brett home to tie the game. Darrell Porter added an RBI double to give KC the lead.

New Yankee Reggie Jackson led off the second with a walk and made it as far as third, but no further. Pete LaCock doubled to start the bottom of the inning, moved to third on a Freddie Patek single, and scored on a Frank White sac fly. Splittorff was perfect in the third, while the Royals got an Otis single and a Porter walk before stranding both of them; in the fourth, Reggie homered to cut New York’s deficit in half.

The Yankees finally retook the lead in the fifth as Dent doubled with one out, Roy White doubled with two away to tie the game, and Munson singled him home. Wynn singled as well, but Chris Chambliss grounded out to end the inning, and the Royals came right back to tie on a Mayberry single and a Porter double. The next inning and a half passed without a baserunner, a string which ended on McRae’s leadoff single in the seventh. Ellis was then relieved by Sparky Lyle, who allowed a double to Mayberry and intentionally walked Otis to load the bases.

Whitey pinch hit for Porter with Cookie Rojas; even with the platoon advantage in play, I have a hard time seeing that as a good idea. Rojas struck out, Al Cowens hit into a force at home, and Buck Martinez (hitting for LaCock) flied out to leave three runners on. Splittorff and Lyle traded bagels for the next two innings, making four consecutive spotless frames from the Kansas City starter. He was pulled for Mark Littell to open the tenth, with identical results; Littell and Lyle retired both sides in order once more. In the eleventh, Wynn walked, the first Yankee baserunner since the fifth; he was pulled for pinch runner Paul Blair, who was promptly caught stealing. In the bottom of the inning, Brett singled and took second on a Willie Randolph error, but after intentionally walking McRae, Lyle struck out Mayberry and Otis to leave both runners on.

Littell was perfect again in the twelfth, and Dick Tidrow replaced Lyle and matched his Royal counterpart. Mickey Rivers walked with one away in the thirteenth, but like Blair before him, was thrown out stealing. In the bottom of the inning, Patek walked and took second on a sacrifice by White. After an intentional pass to Brett and a McRae flyout, Mayberry ended the game with an RBI single.

There was some truly absurd pitching in this game. After giving up 4 runs in the first 5 innings, the Royals faced the minimum over the next eight; this is a pretty good way to win a baseball game (at least the second part). New York’s pitching was absurd in a different way (at least in a current-day context); they put their closer in with the score tied in the seventh, and left him out there for five innings (he amassed .675 WPA, which is rather impressive). In case you’re wondering, no, this was not Lyle’s longest outing of 1977 – he had a 6.2 and a 5.2. And both of those games were even better than this one, so you’ve got that to look forward to in May and August, respectively.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 12, 2013 at 07:40 PM (#4412345)
Port Allegany and Wellsville
Emporium

Takes me back to my days at Penn State-Behrend (Erie). I knew somebody from all those towns -- plus Kane, St. Marys, Coudersport, Clarion, the list was endless.

When I was out in KC and looking to move back to PA, primarily Philly, a head-hunter asked me if Coudersport was close enough to Philly to be serious. I showed it on a map to my wife and she just laughed. It was for Adelphia Cable which shortly thereafter Enroned.
   16. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 12, 2013 at 08:00 PM (#4412370)
A Fortune 500 corporation being based in Coudersport is one of the strangest subplots of the 1990s financial excesses. Often have I heard people mention the Coudersport area and never once have they mentioned doing anything there except hunt, fish, and sleep in an isolated cabin miles from all human contact.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.