Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 14, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-14-2014

100 years ago yesterday, the Federal League held its first game as a “major league”.

Washington Times, April 14, 1914:

That the Federal League is going to make good in Baltimore and awaken those old feverish days of the Hanlon era was distinctly shown when the invaders got down to business yesterday. The opening game of the Feds drew 27,692 fans to the new park, and, to make everybody happy, Baltimore defeated Buffalo 3 to 2.
“Baltimore has done itself proud,” said [Federal League] President James A. Gilmore, “in rallying to the standard to the Federal League. We shall do all in our power to bring league baseball to this city.”

They only lasted two years, but Gilmore wasn’t lying. They really did all in their power to give Baltimore a major league ballclub.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 14, 2014 at 08:20 AM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, federal league, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 14, 2014 at 08:32 AM (#4685780)
Two inner-inner circle greats on today's Birthday Team. Not much else, apart from Justice.

The April 14 leader in career hits, non-Pete Rose division, is...Brad Ausmus.

C: Brad Ausmus
1B: David Justice
2B: Roberto Mejia
3B/Manager: Pete Rose
SS: Parson Nicholson
LF: Joe Lahoud
CF: Marty Keough
RF: Don Mueller

SP: Greg Maddux
SP: Steve Avery
SP: Carlos Perez
SP: Ron Schueler
SP: Chris Welsh
RP: Kyle Farnsworth

Negro Leagues Great: Dick Redding
Failed Prospect: John Van Benschoten
Modern Dalkowski: Brad Pennington
   2. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 14, 2014 at 08:53 AM (#4685784)
don't know if folks caught it from Saturday night but if you want a somewhat whacky play check out the 2-6-1 double play in the pirates/brewers game this past weekend.
   3. BDC Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:14 AM (#4685789)
I plan to attend all four games of the Seattle-Texas series this week – it should be as important to the AL West race as any played this year, and there's a marquee matchup on Wednesday night, Hernandez vs. Darvish. Meanwhile, a cold front has come through and temperatures will be near freezing tonight, a real test for fans used to the balmy weather we had during the opening homestand.

Speaking of pennant races, the entire American League is bunched between 8-4 Oakland and 4-7 Kansas City (and was a game closer than that yesterday morning). Parity is good, and this might make for a memorable scramble for that fifth Wild-Card play-in slot come September … who am I kidding :)

One of my missions this week will be to observe Robinson Cano and get on his case if he doesn't run out ground balls. From the third deck – I'll have to yell extra hard.
   4. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:15 AM (#4685791)
so Anthony Rizzo looks to be hitting. here's hoping that instead of getting going and then going cold for several months he keeps it up

think I have said this elsewhere but I really lilke that rendon kid in Washington. think he should be starting full time versus the timeshare

the adam eaton kid in Chicago. what is he, 5'7"? he can play.
   5. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:20 AM (#4685793)
Games of April 11:

1984, featuring a starting pitcher a year before he tied a fairly significant quasi-record and a remarkable run of inefficiency with runners in scoring position

2014, featuring a starting pitcher who's perfectly capable of tying any number of quasi-records and even more inefficiency with runners in scoring position
   6. Al Peterson Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:22 AM (#4685797)
Seeing that Kyle Farnsworth is still active is quite amazing. Ranks 2nd among active pitchers in games pitched behind LaTroy Hawkins. All for a righthander with overall league average stats (102 ERA+) helped by being a reliever. Seems like a very replaceable part. That he's bankrolled $37+ Million is salary - baseball has been very, very good to him.
   7. zonk Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:26 AM (#4685799)
so Anthony Rizzo looks to be hitting. here's hoping that instead of getting going and then going cold for several months he keeps it up

Castro has had some promising moments, too... and Junior Lake is doing a pretty good impersonation of a K-Mart brand Yasiel Puig.

Despite the fact that team overall looks like a 90-95 game loser again, I'm reasonably happy with the kids looking a bit less lost than they did last year. If Samardzija is destined to be dealt, he's certainly helping his trade value early on, too. Even Mike Olt has had moments of looking like an option.

Edwin Jackson, on the other hand... well... it's pretty clear that the Cubs ought to just park him in a bad neighbordhood with the doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, and see if anyone will be so kind as to just drive him away.
   8. The District Attorney Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:33 AM (#4685803)
Couple of quotes I ran across recently from two of our patron saints that I thought were interesting:

From Rob Neyer chat:
I'm curious, just exactly why did you leave ESPN? You continually cite their articles, so it's almost like you've never left...

robneyer: Really? I hardly read ESPN.com articles, ever. Not because they're not worth reading, but rather because I have time to read only a very small percentage of articles. In fact, I should read (and cite) a lot more -- especially the Hot Corner stuff -- than I do, and I suspect I don't because I harbor (mostly) subconscious resentments. As for why I left, it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. Which is all that matters.

And from Bill James:
Bill, last night in the Angels-Mets game. Collins opted to walk the bases loaded in a sudden death situation to set up a force at any base. Familia then hit the next batter to end the game. Do you have an opinion on that strategy? It sure seems to me that it backfires more often than it works. Thanks

That is the ONE strategy that I have a clear opinion about, basically the only one. It makes NO sense to walk the bases loaded, ever, under any circumstances. It is a horrendous percentage move.
   9. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 14, 2014 at 09:37 AM (#4685806)
Games of April 12:

1984 - a pitching matchup of an OK 38-year-old who was randomly on the way to his only positive black ink this year, and a 23-year-old who had less MLB time remaining than the 38-year-old

2014 - one of my favorite GotD types: the best game (so far) in the career of a minor player, in thise case one whose Cubs tenure came and went completely without my noticing
   10. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4685844)
Game of April 13, 1984, featuring two ninth-inning lead changes that involved the second career homer by a franchise mainstay, the last career homer by a bit player, and a reliever who's the third-most famous player with his own name (and one of the two better known than him doesn't even use that name any more).
   11. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: April 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM (#4685845)
#2--Just saw the video on MLB.com, that was pretty cool.

Yesterday's Twins-Royals game ended with Mike Moustakas getting called out for interference. He hit a pop-up between the mound and home plate, and just stood there in the batters box. While trying to field the pop-up, the catcher tripped over Moustakas, and the ball bounced foul--however, the umps instantly ruled the game was over.
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM (#4685853)
There was a weird play in the Indians-White Sox game Saturday afternoon that probably should have ended with the batter being out, 2 unassisted.

Josh Outman threw up and in (not maliciously so, but clearly out of the strike zone) to Adam Eaton, who did a weird combination check swing/get out of the way. In the process, Eaton unintentionally hit a dribbler out in front of the plate and fell over. I'm not entirely sure why, maybe it was instinct, but Carlos Santana picked the ball up and threw to first instead of tagging the still-prone Eaton.

I've never seen a batter hit the ball and be retired unassisted by the catcher. Alas, it'll have to wait.
   13. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: April 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM (#4685857)
I've never seen a batter hit the ball and be retired unassisted by the catcher. Alas, it'll have to wait.

Dan, your wait is over.

P.S. You may have to wait a little for the video to start...
   14. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM (#4685874)
   15. crict Posted: April 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM (#4685876)
Speaking of pennant races, the entire American League is bunched between 8-4 Oakland and 4-7 Kansas City (and was a game closer than that yesterday morning). Parity is good, and this might make for a memorable scramble for that fifth Wild-Card play-in slot come September …

I'm playing MLB the Show on PS3 and to see how players age I have 14-game seasons. There was a 5-way tie for the 2nd wildcard spot (at 7-7). I thought the game would crash, but it has handled it quite well. Two games on the first day, Indians and Orioles eliminate Yankees and Red Sox. The 5th team, the Astros, then defeated the Indians. Astros and Orioles then play for the wildcard spot. Is that how it would work?
   16. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM (#4685880)
Dan, your wait is over.
Argh. Nice effort, bro-man.
   17. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM (#4685904)
The April 13 Game of the Day from this year is remarkably similar to the one from 30 years prior - same score, same double ninth-inning rally - while being a better game overall (in fact, this weekend's Games of the Days rank 6th, 7th, and 8th on the year so far, which is... decent.)
   18. esseff Posted: April 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM (#4685916)
For a second there, I thought the play in #12 was beginning with Josh Outman becoming ill in mid-pitch.
   19. Kiko Sakata Posted: April 14, 2014 at 01:12 PM (#4685949)
BBTF's favorite minor-league outfielder was tricked into thinking a teammate was deaf.
   20. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 14, 2014 at 04:39 PM (#4686085)
Jed Gyorko signs a 5 year $35 million extension with the Padres. Gyood deal!
   21. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 14, 2014 at 04:50 PM (#4686095)
that's a steal for the padres

at least I think so
   22. Walt Davis Posted: April 14, 2014 at 05:55 PM (#4686146)
Edwin Jackson, on the other hand... well... it's pretty clear that the Cubs ought to just park him in a bad neighbordhood with the doors unlocked, keys in the ignition, and see if anyone will be so kind as to just drive him away.

I'd recommend stripping the plates and filing down the VIN just in case.

Gyorko: buys out one FA year and has a $13 M option on another. So they control him through age 31 which is about all you want for a 2B. But seems a little early and/or a little high to me. He had a solid year last year but did miss a month. Still only a bit above-average by WAR though. Minor league numbers were solid so he's probably not a flash in the pan but I'd like to see the durability.

I haven't been tracking arb year salaries much lately but $22 M (I assume) for his 3 arb years doesn't seem like much of a discount. $13 M (I assume) for his first FA year could be a good bargain.

23. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 14, 2014 at 07:08 PM (#4686175)
Walt

Price per win is inflating rapidly with all the tv money coming to the game

I also like this kid's game

So that is my follow up
   24. dr. scott Posted: April 14, 2014 at 07:25 PM (#4686181)
To think, all these years and I never knew Avery and Maddux had the same birthday. 1993, the first year they played together was not only Avery's best year, but his last above average year for his career. My Dad always said it was because he got married. Mom never liked that answer.
   25. Walt Davis Posted: April 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM (#4686316)
For comps ...

Best comp is probably Kipnis who had 2 years of service time. Indians got his 3 arb years and 2 FA years for $52 M. His 3 arb years cost $18 M the two FA years $28 M plus they hold an option on 2020. That's probably a better deal than this one but Kipnis is two years older. Note Gyorko had 2.2 WAR in his rookie year while Kipnis has nearly 10 WAR over the last two seasons.

Altuve's a not great comp as, thanks to defense, he's been .5-1 win worse than Gyorko per year. But then the Astros have his 3 arb years for $12 M and hold two options at about $6 M each. The Gyorko contract looks like a much better idea than Murphy who's on track to make maybe $18 M for his arb years (he might be super-2) -- again Murphy gets killed on defense. Looks like Walker's 4 arb years will end up costing maybe $27 M.

That seems to be about it for arb-eligible 2B that you wouldn't get laughed at for signing to a buyout (i.e. not Barney, not Beckham, not Danny Espinosa) or haven't moved off 2B (Ackley).

Expanding the pool to include 3B and CF ... Austin Jackson is much better and looks like his 3 arb years will cost about $18 M. Sandoval's three arb years cost $18. Denard Span signed an early buyout of his arb years for about $15 M with a $9 M option. Rasmus's three years have cost about $15 M. Fowler's first 3 of 4 arb years cost $14 M. Alvarez got $4 in his first arb year this year -- likely a $20-24 trajectory for all 3 ... but then he led the league in HR and has 6 WAR the last two years.

According to the ESPN story, his arb years will cost $21 M. Still looks high to me -- i.e. just 2.2 WAR while missing a year and I'm not seeing any discount for the commitment. Of course if one believes Gyorko is as good as Kipnis, Alvarez and (adjusting for inflation) some of those others then it's OK. Or maybe Kipnis got ripped off.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.