Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-17-2012

New York Tribune, April 17, 1912:

Ty Cobb, the outfielder extraordinary of the Detroit Tigers, will rest for a few days in an effort to get rid of the cold that has been troubling him for ten days. He left the team in Chicago on Monday evening, with the consent of Jennings, and will recuperate in Detroit.

I don’t know if quote fingers had been invented in 1912, but this would have been a pretty good use for them.  You may recall from yesterday’s dugout that Cobb stormed out of Chicago and went home because he didn’t like his hotel room.  It’s not much of a stretch to think that “the consent of Jennings” is a nice way to say that Ee-Yah suspended The Georgia Peach for a few days.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: April 17, 2012 at 05:22 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: April 17, 2012 at 05:26 AM (#4108645)
Also in the news 100 years ago today:

Ogden City [Utah] Evening Standard:
O'Fallon, Ill., April 17 -- The Chicago National league baseball team had a narrow escape from serious injury when the B. & O. S. W. train bearing the players from St. Louis to Cincinnati jumped the track here at 10:15 last night, hitting a spread rail nineteen miles from St. Louis.
Washington Times:
Dr. Harry Gessler, the Nationals' veteran outfielder, sold last winter...to the Kansas City club, of the American Association, is done with baseball forever.

"I've played my last ball game...I have a degree in medicine, you know, but I find I am too rusty to practice after my long connection with baseball, therefore I am taking a special course at Johns Hopkins. When I have completed that I shall go to Germany with a friend of mine and study eighteen months."
If he spends a year at Hopkins, then goes overseas for eighteen months, that means he'll be in Germany until...October 1914. That should work out well.

Actually, Gessler played part of the 1913 season for Kansas City and then started the 1914 season as the manager of the Pittsburgh Rebels. He was slightly more successful than the Russian Second Army at Tannenberg. But only slightly.
   2. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: April 17, 2012 at 05:37 AM (#4108646)
Only three pitchers with 50+ starts born on April 17, and only four with 10+ starts. Shaky pitching staff for the Birthday Team.

And it's entirely possible that the third baseman could refuse to take the field alongside the center fielder. If that happens, Ferguson plays RF, Walling plays third, and we tell Cap where he can stick it. The Birthday League is fully integrated.

C: Gary Bennett
1B: Jake Daubert
2B: Pedro Garcia
3B/Manager: Cap Anson
SS: Solly Hemus
LF: Ryan Raburn
CF: Marquis Grissom
RF: Denny Walling

SP: Charlie Ferguson
SP: Jersey Bakley
SP: Scott Perry
SP: Bob Osborn
SP: Charlie Jaeger
RP: Lefty Smoll

Owner: Emil Fuchs
Writer of Rules: Alexander Cartwright
Best House Band Ever: Jan Hammer, Michael Sembello, Pete Shelley, Maynard James Keenan, Liz Phair, Redman, and Posh Spice.

Ventriloquist: Señor Wences

S'all right? S'all right.
   3. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: April 17, 2012 at 08:29 AM (#4108688)
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM (#4108771)
HUZZAH! Diamond Mind 2012 ZIPS Projection Disk is now available for purchase. Many thanks Dan for your hard work and sorry about all my whining!
   5. DA Baracus Posted: April 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM (#4108789)
Went to my first game of the year last night. Chili cheese dogs, beer, good seats... now it's officially summer.
   6. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: April 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM (#4108849)
A guy in my Old Time Strat-O league just tried to pick Rico Fregosi.

Rico Fregosi is now my new favorite player.
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 17, 2012 at 06:40 PM (#4109155)
Both Games of the Day are relatively unimpressive in this entry - April 16 is apparently not a great day for highly exciting baseball.

Yesterday: Orioles 10, White Sox 4 (10). You'd think a game-tying rally in the 9th to force extras would do pretty well... and it's not that this game does badly by any means. But much of the scoring (particularly the late scoring) was based around solo homers (Wieters, Reimold, and Jones in the 8th and 9th, rallying Baltimore from a 4-1 deficit), which don't extend the drama as much as protracted rallies. And the last remaining vestige of hope for extra-inning excitement was wiped out by a Wieters grand slam that pushed the margin to 6. (Incidentally, Wieters is doing pretty well so far - .344, 12 homers, 1.212 OPS. Maybe He's finally arrived.)

Last year: Rays 4, Twins 3. Another 9th-inning comeback that didn't have much leading up to it. The Twins took the lead early; the Rays threatened in the third, fourth, and fifth, but never actually tied the game, and the Twins led 3-1 going into the 8th. Matt Joyce cut the margin in half with an RBI single, and then Joe Nathan melted down again: Ben Zobrist led off the 9th with a solo homer, and a walk-steal-walk sequence put runners on first and second. One out later, Nathan was pulled, putting Jose Mijares in position to give up Johnny Damon's eventual walkoff single.

Proof, I suppose, that even relatively tame days of baseball can produce good games.
   8. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 17, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4109218)
Matt Wieters has twelve homers already?
   9. crict Posted: April 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM (#4109318)
Just downloaded the new "MLB.com Full Count" app to my iPad and it's amazing, with live segments of the night's games. I assume most of that is on MLB network, but for us Canadians it's all new.
   10. puck Posted: April 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM (#4109330)
Tulowitzki has 6 errors! He had 6 all year last year.
   11. puck Posted: April 17, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4109347)
Moyer got his old man win!
   12. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4109364)
Matt Wieters has twelve homers already?

My bad, 4 homers. No idea where 12 came from.
   13. Walt Davis Posted: April 18, 2012 at 02:08 AM (#4109386)
Moyer got his old man win!

Yes!!!!

He should probably take the rest of the year off to rest up and get one next year at 50.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.