Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 18, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-18-2014

El Paso Herald, April 18, 1914:

The worst luck in the world follows the sight of a cross eyed person, according to the ball players. However this “jinx” may be broken by spitting in your hat immediately. In procuring bat boys to carry the clubs from the home plate back to the bench and kepe them neatly piled in order, baseball managers, as a rule pick out the worst looking youth to be found. He is retained as long as things go well, but when the time arrives that the team hits a slump another homely boy is taken on.

Slumpbusting, 1914-style.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 18, 2014 at 08:54 AM | 29 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 18, 2014 at 09:00 AM (#4688345)
Some terrific bats on today's Birthday Team, and watching Steve Blass is definitely worth the price of admission.

C: Hughie Hearne
1B: Billy Butler
2B: Doug Flynn
3B: Miguel Cabrera
SS: Tommy McMillan
LF: Duffy Lewis
CF: Jim Eisenreich
RF: Sam Crawford

SP: Steve Blass
SP: Dennis Rasmussen
SP: Jack Scott
SP: Mike Paul
SP: Bobby Castillo
RP: Chuck Taylor

Owner: Frank Navin
Not that one: Deacon Jones
   2. BDC Posted: April 18, 2014 at 09:24 AM (#4688356)
Notes from Arlington yesterday (Texas 8, Seattle 6). Pretty stultifying – one of those pinball games where everybody keeps hitting the ball into the gap and running around. When the smoke cleared after the fifth inning the Rangers were ahead by two, but it took about an inning for that to sink in, as I had gotten inured to the lead changing every half-inning. Then the bullpens took over, the pace picked up immensely, and nobody scored the rest of the way. Pedro "Winning Pitcher" Figueroa once again starred in relief for Texas.

Somebody named Donnie Murphy played 2B for Texas yesterday and went 2-for-3. I got to wondering if the Rangers are required by statute to have a clean-cut white guy named D. Murphy on the roster who is not very good at baseball. Meanwhile Mitch Moreland also went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. He is the guy who also, not all that good at baseball, continually wins a job year after year by being just better than the guy next to him. He's not in direct competition with Prince Fielder right now – Prince is playing first and Moreland is platooning at DH with Michael Choice – but Moreland is sure the heck outplaying Prince at the moment.

Shin-Soo Choo hit his first Ranger home run, and Robinson Cano hit his first for the Mariners. Day game played in an off-and-on light rain before a very sparse crowd.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 18, 2014 at 09:53 AM (#4688378)
Mariners 1B prospect Ji-Man Choi suspended 50 games for methandienone
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 18, 2014 at 09:54 AM (#4688379)
The Time the Secret Service Threatned Mr. Met's Life

The former Mr. Met details the story in his memoir, “Yes, It’s Hot in Here: Adventures in the Weird, Woolly World of Sports Mascots.”

“Now listen to me very carefully. … We have snipers all around the stadium, just in case something were to happen,” a Secret Service agent told Mass during Clinton’s appearance for the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier.

“Like I said, do whatever it is you normally do. Nobody will bother you. But approach the president, and we go for the kill shot. Are we clear?”

Mass wrote that he felt like the agent wasn’t “only looking into my eyes, but also into my very soul with his blank, unblinking stare.”
   5. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 18, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4688383)
The thing about Mr. Met… very hard to get off a killshot. Where's his brain exactly?
   6. BDC Posted: April 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM (#4688389)
And while everybody's watching Mr. Met close in on Bill Clinton, Reggie gets a clear route to the Queen.
   7. Ziggy Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM (#4688439)
Unless someone has done this already, somebody (= not me) needs to run a gigantic simulation where all of the birthday teams play each other.

Or, almost as good, put them all into one of the RBI baseball simulators and we'll have a giant Primer meet-up where everybody plays their own birthday team.
   8. Ulysses S. Fairsmith Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM (#4688440)
. . . this “jinx” may be broken by spitting in your hat immediately.

I'll just take the jinx then.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM (#4688448)
The Diamondbacks will be wearing throwback uniforms for the 100th anniversary of Wrigley, but since their organization, and really their home city is so new, they'll be wearing the uniforms of the 1914 Kansas City Packers of the Federal League.

What other teams have worn uniforms of franchises completely unrelated to the city or organization? Maybe some team honoring the Negro LEagues?
   10. JJ1986 Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM (#4688452)
The Mets once wore the uniforms of the team that plays on the planet Mercury.
   11. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM (#4688460)
Blass and Jim Rooker will always be connected in my brain. Both were born in 1942, through 1972 Blass was 100-67 while Rooker was 21-44 for the Royals. The ineffective Blass was pulled from the rotation in June of 1973, just as Rooker stepped in. Rooker went 82-65 as a Pirate, including an improbably effective five innings that turned around the 1979 Series (and would have been the perfect cap to Blass' career).
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4688471)
The Indians wore Cleveland Buckeyes uniforms a few years ago. IIRC, the Tigers have worn Detroit Stars, the Orioles have worn Baltimore Elite Giants, and the Royals have worn KC Monarchs uniforms.
   13. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM (#4688478)
The Indians wore Cleveland Buckeyes uniforms a few years ago. IIRC, the Tigers have worn Detroit Stars, the Orioles have worn Baltimore Elite Giants, and the Royals have worn KC Monarchs uniforms.

Yea, those all have a connection to the home city, I'm talking about no connection to this franchise or the home city. The KC Packers have nothing to do with the Diamondbacks or the city of Phoenix. I was thinking maybe some team that played in a city with no Negro League teams had worn Negro League throwbacks that would be the only example of this happening.
   14. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM (#4688514)
Unless someone has done this already, somebody (= not me) needs to run a gigantic simulation where all of the birthday teams play each other.

Dan was doing this for a while, month by month, but I assume life got in the way.

Or, almost as good, put them all into one of the RBI baseball simulators and we'll have a giant Primer meet-up where everybody plays their own birthday team

I'd be up for this.

-- MWE
reading BTF over airport WiFi, which sucks big-time.
   15. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM (#4688523)
Dan was doing this for a while, month by month, but I assume life got in the way.
Yep. It takes a metric assload of time to build the 25-man rosters, then one-by-one place the players on team rosters in Strat-O-Matic. Literally dozens of hours per month.
   16. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 18, 2014 at 01:33 PM (#4688569)
What other teams have worn uniforms of franchises completely unrelated to the city or organization? Maybe some team honoring the Negro LEagues?

Obviously it has a direct connection to the city, but I was amazed when the Mariners wore Seattle Pilots uniforms a few years ago. The Pilots, of course, became the Milwaukee Brewers, who still exist, so the Mariners were wearing a previous uniform of a different existing major-league team, which I think is unique.
   17. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 18, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4688590)
Reading BTF over airplane WiFi is much better than reading it over airport WiFi. Even on a regional jet.

-- MWE
   18. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 18, 2014 at 02:58 PM (#4688629)
Moreland is platooning at DH with Michael Choice –

So much for everyone's assumption that the Rangers only played Moreland for the past several years because they had no Choice.
   19. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: April 18, 2014 at 03:05 PM (#4688635)

Obviously it has a direct connection to the city, but I was amazed when the Mariners wore Seattle Pilots uniforms a few years ago. The Pilots, of course, became the Milwaukee Brewers, who still exist, so the Mariners were wearing a previous uniform of a different existing major-league team, which I think is unique.

Unless the Nationals ever wore a Senators uniform.
   20. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 18, 2014 at 03:06 PM (#4688636)

ESPN has been trying to make this a regular thing for years - each weekend, teams wear the retro uniforms of another team. Oh, and those other teams are the Red Sox or the Yankees.
   21. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 18, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4688639)
#18, very well played sir.

I've never played a sim game, but a giant meet up for that would be a blast.
   22. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: April 18, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4688643)
My team has a pretty solid lineup and absolutely no pitching.
   23. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 18, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4688725)
The Game of April 17, 1984 features a pitching matchup of two guys who both had long, productive major league careers, yet are arguably best known for being on the wrong end of established-guy-for-prospect trades. (Points if you can guess both before clicking the link.)
   24. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 18, 2014 at 05:42 PM (#4688751)

I didn't think of that! It looks like you're correct - the Nationals wore 1970 Senators uniforms for one game in 2010.
   25. Walt Davis Posted: April 18, 2014 at 06:43 PM (#4688795)
On the one hand, you'd think they'd have scheduled a more historically significant team for Wrigley's 100th.

On the other hand, the Cubs might actually be able to beat the DBacks. The DBacks pitching is so bad, the Cubs might be able to score more than 3 runs.
   26. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: April 18, 2014 at 06:46 PM (#4688797)

Or the Orioles wore an Orioles uniform.

27. Sweatpants Posted: April 18, 2014 at 07:06 PM (#4688808)
The Braves have played the Brewers when the Brewers were wearing retro Milwaukee Braves jerseys.
   28. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: April 18, 2014 at 07:06 PM (#4688809)
#3-- First time I've heard Ji-Man Choi's name outside of OOTP (where he always becomes a star).
   29. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 18, 2014 at 07:10 PM (#4688811)
Unlike the last two days, April 17 did not produce one of the very best games of the season so far. It did, however, have a game that provided the cognitive dissonance of a DH who hit ninth, and who then emphatically live up to one of those two conflicting designations. Further, it included a player tying his career high in a common statistic, one which he's now reached 12 times without exceeding it; that has to be approaching a record of some kind, right?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.