Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 19, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-19-2013

Milwaukee Journal, April 19, 1913:

[Baseball and football] Coach Dennis Grady of Northwestern university today applauded the efforts of Miss Irene Blanchard, dean of women, to stop tango dancing and turkey trotting.

“The exertion an athlete puts in in one evening dancing the new dances is equivalent to the energy he expends in a hard afternoon’s practice on the football field,” said Grady. “It saps his energy.”

1913 was not Lima Time, apparently.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 19, 2013 at 06:28 AM | 41 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 19, 2013 at 06:37 AM (#4419009)
Excellent defensive outfield on today's Birthday Team.

C: Joe Mauer
1B: Scotty Ingerton
2B: Alberto Callaspo
3B: Whitey Kurowski
SS: Spike Owen
LF: Jose Cruz Jr.
CF: Rick Miller
RF: R.J. Reynolds

SP/Manager: Bucky Walters
SP: Frank Viola
SP: Zach Duke
SP: Scott Kamieniecki
SP: Roy Mitchell
RP: John Wyatt

Occasional Primate: Mike Colbern
Sad story: John LeRoy
Cool Names: Ambiorix Burgos, Chick Shorten
   2. Dag Nabbit is a cornucopia of errors Posted: April 19, 2013 at 08:43 AM (#4419063)
Baseball history piece at THT notes that 25 years ago today, a 20+ year career pitcher threw 3 of his 8 lifetime balks in one outing. Can you guess the pitcher before checking the link?
   3. Mike Webber Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:06 AM (#4419083)
Ambiorx Burgos is maybe a sick story rather than a sad story.
   4. Knock on any Iorg Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:15 AM (#4419097)
#2 - Jamie Moyer?
   5. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:17 AM (#4419098)
Can you guess the pitcher before checking the link?

Reuschel?

edit: Damn it.
   6. AndrewJ Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:23 AM (#4419102)
Charlie Hough?

EDIT: Rats.
   7. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:25 AM (#4419107)
I'm guessing it happened in 1988.
   8. SoSH U at work Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:28 AM (#4419110)
Was that the year of the balk (or more accurately, the April of the balk, since I don't think the edict lasted all that long)?

Tommy John?

Edit: Nope.
   9. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:31 AM (#4419114)
Maybe this is new, maybe I just never noticed it before, but BBRef now has a pronunciation guide.

I could spend all day browsing it: \Hear-ram Bow-ka-cheeka\, \KOH-skay foo-koo-DOUGH-may\, \Ooo-GETT Ooor-bee-NAH\
   10. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:32 AM (#4419115)
i think that was the year of the balk, as i have a vague memory of this happening (and do know who it is).
   11. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:37 AM (#4419122)
"Aparicio" is pronounced as if it were Italian? I never knew that. Was he an Italian-Venezuelan?
   12. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:53 AM (#4419140)
Dave Stewart had 16 balks that year. Sixteen!
   13. WahooSam Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:58 AM (#4419147)
That's nothing - Tippy Martinez committed 3 balks in one inning (although none of them were called)
   14. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 19, 2013 at 09:59 AM (#4419149)

Maybe this is new, maybe I just never noticed it before, but BBRef now has a pronunciation guide.

I never noticed until yesterday that BBRef has up to date stats from the Japanese, Italian and Dutch leagues. Ramon Castro is hitting .538 for Telemarket Rimini!
   15. SoSH U at work Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM (#4419160)
Dave Stewart had 16 balks that year. Sixteen!

He had 13 in his first 14 starts, and 3 in his last 23.

16. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM (#4419166)
Ramon Castro is hitting .538 for Telemarket Rimini!
And who knew the New Black Panthers have a baseball team?
   17. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM (#4419173)
I requested a baseball field in Central Park for August. I have no idea if I'll get it, but I thought I'd mention it now in case anyone was interested. The NYC Parks department can be weird to maneuver through so I'd say a 25% chance I'll actually get a field.
   18. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM (#4419176)
He had 13 in his first 14 starts, and 3 in his last 23.

Stew was angry that year. MLB gave in and told the umps to go back to the way they had been calling it after all the balks were making the league a punchline. It was a case of practice and tradition triumphing over theoretical rigidity.
   19. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM (#4419177)
Ramon Castro is hitting .538 for Telemarket Rimini!

That's Ramon Castro the shortstop, not Ramon Castro the catcher.
   20. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM (#4419202)
I'm trying to figure out why they offer a pronunciation for Josh Bard. How else could you say it?
   21. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM (#4419205)
No guide for Ed Ott. Boo. BB-Ref finally fails at something.
   22. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM (#4419214)
you mean eid oat?
   23. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM (#4419215)
edit: ernie banksed it.
   24. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM (#4419218)
you mean eid oat?

See? Chaos. Forman should have his robot children taken away.
   25. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM (#4419220)
DOOR Neptunus is off to a good start, but their two starting pitchers who were at the WBC are not.
   26. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM (#4419252)
Also new at BBRef: All player nicknames.
   27. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM (#4419258)
Juan Berenguer: El Gasolino

Fantastic.
   28. esseff Posted: April 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM (#4419289)
It was a case of practice and tradition triumphing over theoretical rigidity.

My recall is that it went beyond theoretical rigidity to, "If you morons on Mahogany Row are going to tell us how to do our jobs, we'll give you a spectacle."
   29. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM (#4419371)
No guide for Ed Ott. Boo. BB-Ref finally fails at something.

It's pronounced "Throatwarbler Mangrove."
   30. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 19, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4419464)
David Ortiz says he has been informed the Red Sox game tonight is cancelled.
   31. beer on a stick Posted: April 19, 2013 at 01:58 PM (#4419486)
Juan Berenguer: El Gasolino

Hmmm...Ernie Harwell used to call him "The Panamanian Express."
   32. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 19, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4419505)
Julio Borbon claimed by the Cubs off waivers.
   33. beer on a stick Posted: April 19, 2013 at 02:48 PM (#4419549)
Julio Borbon claimed by the Cubs off waivers.

HOO-LEEO BOHR-BOHN
   34. zack Posted: April 19, 2013 at 02:56 PM (#4419557)
I requested a baseball field in Central Park for August.

Oof, if we get some games going in the spring I'll be all about that, but I'll probably be gone before August.
   35. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM (#4419761)
Game of the day (yesterday): D'Backs 6, Yankees 2 (12). Simply based on the linescore, I would have figured on Rays-O's taking yesterday's crown, despite being 2 innings shorter. But this game does a nice job of demonstrating the difficulty of evaluating excitement solely based on linescores.

Both starters put a runner on with two out in the first; New York's Phil Hughes allowed a single to Paul Goldschmidt, while Arizona's Patrick Corbin walked Robinson Cano, but neither runner advanced from there. Hughes threw a perfect second, while Corbin gave up a leadoff hit to Ben Francisco, then worked around it with aplomb. The game's first run scored in the third on Didi Gregorious's first career homer, and Arizona added two singles and a double over the next two innings, but didn't bring another run across in that time (despite having runners on second and third with one out in the fifth after Gregorious's double). Meanwhile, Corbin held the Yanks hitless over that timeframe, holding the lead.

Martin Prado doubled the Diamondback advantage with a leadoff homer in the sixth, but Cano matched him with two outs in the bottom of the inning, bringing New York within 2-1. Hughes and Corbin both faced the minimum in the seventh (Corbin cancelled out a walk to Francisco with a line drive double play), at which point both pitchers were pulled (109 and 94 pitches, respectively). In the top of the eighth, Boone Logan and Joba Chamberlain combined to retire three Arizona hitters while working around an Eduardo Nunez error.

Then came the bottom of the eighth. David Hernandez retired Nunez to open the inning. Travis Hafner drew a pinch hit walk and was replaced on the bases by Lyle Overbay, whose 15 steals and 11 triples in over 5000 PA have to put him on the very short list of the slowest pinch runners of all time. Brett Gardner singled Overbay to second, and Vernon Wells walked to load the bases, but Hernandez rallied to strike out both Cano and Kevin Youkilis, preserving Arizona's narrow advantage.

The Diamondbacks mounted a threat of their own in the top of the ninth. Miguel Montero doubled, and Cody Ross singled, moving him to third. Eric Chavez struck out, and AJ Pollock hit a dribbler up the third base line; Montero was caught off the base and run down, and Ross was very nearly thrown out as well trying to take third, coming in safely on an evasive slide. Pollock stole second behind him, and Gregorious then reached on catcher's interference (!) to load the bases before Cliff Pennington flied out to end the inning.

Arizona quickly wished they'd gotten a run across, as Francisco Cervelli took JJ Putz deep with one out in the bottom of the ninth to tie the game. Putz recovered to force extras; David Robertson worked around a Goldschmidt single in the tenth, and Matt Reynolds set the Yankees down in order. Ross led off the eleventh with a double against David Phelps, and Chavez walked behind him; Pollock then tried a sac bunt, but Ross was thrown out at third. Gregorious grounded to first, advancing the other runners (so one of them might have scored if he'd been on third already), and Eric Hinske flied out to end the inning. Youkilis greeted Heath Bell with a single in the bottom of the eleventh, and Ichiro added one with two outs, but Bell retired the other three Yankees he faced to extend the game.

In the twelfth, Phelps allowed his second straight leadoff double, this one to Gerardo Parra. Prado flied out deep enough to move Parra to third, Goldschmidt reached on catcher's interference (yes, that is twice in one game for Cervelli - I wonder when's the last time that happened), and Montero was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Ross then dropped a single in front of Wells in left to bring home one run, and Chavez followed with a double to score three more. Tony Sipp worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the inning to end the game.

So, what makes this the fifth-best game of the year so far? (By the way, it grades out as the fifth-best game of the year so far.) After all, there wasn't a single run scored in 11 innings that wasn't a solo homer, and the solo homer is probably my system's least-favorite form of run scoring (although it's still pretty cool when it ties the game with one out in the ninth). The teams combined to leave 20 runners on base, which indicates a solid amount of rallying, but not a huge amount, especially over 12 innings.

What works so well in this one is when the runners were on base. Of those 20 LOB, only 6 came in the first 7 innings. Then the Yankees left them loaded in the eighth and Arizona did in the ninth (with each team leaving one on in the other inning). Arizona stranded one in the tenth and two (both in scoring position) in the eleventh, and New York left two in the eleventh as well. That's 13 LOB in late-and-close innings (the missing one was for the D'Backs in the 12th after they broke the game open), which is quite a few, especially since 7 of them were in scoring position. Throw in some stuff that's not accounted for in the method (good defensive plays, baserunning craziness and catcher's interference), and you've got yourself quite an outing.
   36. Tom T Posted: April 19, 2013 at 06:05 PM (#4419774)

"Burroughs" is supposed to be pronounced in one syllable???

I'll run with the idea that some of the submissions are done by people who have not taken a linguistics or phonetics course. (And then I'll laugh at the recollection of how my linguistics prof struggled to find people in our class who DIDN'T pronounce the word-final /g/ sounds in a sentence like "I'm going sledding today." He may have known his African dialects, but it seemed he'd never been to the midwest.)
   37. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 19, 2013 at 06:49 PM (#4419794)
I'm trying to figure out why Roberto Alomar would pronounce his last name differently from his father or his brother.
   38. SoSH U at work Posted: April 19, 2013 at 06:55 PM (#4419798)
I'm trying to figure out why Roberto Alomar would pronounce his last name differently from his father or his brother.

I thought it was odd that Asdrubal, Fernando, Melky, Miguel and Orlando all had slightly different pronunciations of Cabrera.
   39. Walt Davis Posted: April 19, 2013 at 07:29 PM (#4419827)

Eh, he's been putting on airs ever since he was elected to the HoF.
   40. JJ1986 Posted: April 19, 2013 at 07:35 PM (#4419841)
"Burroughs" is supposed to be pronounced in one syllable???

The first 'u' is silent.
   41. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 19, 2013 at 08:00 PM (#4419883)
Game of the day (1977): Expos 6, Pirates 5 (14). Pitching matchup of Bruce Kison, a pretty good pitcher having a bad year, and Jackie Brown, a pretty bad pitcher having a bad year (well, about average for him). And yet, both men were perfect in the first inning.

It didn't last. Al Oliver started the top of the second by reaching on an error, and after a pair of groundouts moved him to third, Ed Kirkpatrick launched a 2-run homer to put Pittsburgh in the early lead. The Expos got singles from Tony Perez and Warren Cromartie in the second, but Gary Carter hit into an inning-ending double play, and the Pirates extended their lead when Omar Moreno and Dave Parker singled back-to-back in the fourth and Oliver tripled both of them home.

Montreal got on the board in the fourth, as Perez singled with two outs, Larry Parrish walked, and Cromartie doubled in a run. The two remaining runners were left on when Carter flied out, however, and Kison worked through the fifth still holding a 4-1 lead. Brown walked a pair of Pirates in the sixth but didn't allow either of them to score; in the bottom of the inning, Perez and Parrish hit consecutive one-out doubles to score one run and Carter singled in a second, bringing Montreal within one. Brown set the top of the Pittsburgh order down 1-2-3 in the seventh, and was then lifted for pinch hitter Mike Jorgensen, who reached on an error by Kirkpatrick at first. Dave Cash followed that with a game-tying RBI double, and took third when Al Oliver made an error on that play. After Tim Foli grounded out against newly-inserted reliever Kent Tekulve, Ellis Valentine's sac fly gave Montreal its first lead of the game.

Joe Kerrigan was brought in to protect that lead. Oliver greeted him with a single and then stole second (he would steal a career-high 13 bases in 1977, but was also caught a career-high 16 times, which probably explains why he never stole more than 13 bases). A Rennie Stennett grounder moved him to third. Phil Garner then flied to right, but Valentine dropped the ball, letting Oliver score the tying run. Garner made it to third before Ken Macha flied out to leave him there.

Tekulve was spotless in the eighth, as were Will McEnaney and Goose Gossage in the ninth, pushing the game past regulation. McEnaney was also flawless in the tenth, while Gossage erased a Valentine walk with a Perez double play. Garner led off the eleventh with a single, and was forced at second on a grounder by Duffy Dyer, who then moved to second on a wild pitch. Macha and Fernando Gonzalez were both retired, however, leaving the go-ahead run in scoring position.

Odell Jones replaced Gossage, who'd been lifted for pinch hitter Gonzalez, and worked a perfect eleventh. Bill Atkinson came on for Montreal, and the two relievers allowed one hit between them through inning number 13; that hit was by Atkinson himself in the twelfth. In the fourteenth, Dyer and Macha started the top of the inning with singles, but Jones, Frank Taveras, and Moreno failed to advance the runners; in the bottom of the inning, Cromartie doubled, Carter bunted him to third, and Andre Dawson singled him home to end the game.

It's a little weird seeing Carter and Dawson hitting 7th and 8th for the Expos, and behind guys like Parrish and Cromartie; they were, of course, both quite young (Dawson was early in his RoY campain) and neither was hitting brilliantly in the early going (Carter's .788 OPS through this one is quite nice for a catcher, but people didn't look at that so much in 1977; his average was .222). Focusing on this game specifically, Montreal's Cash-Foli DP combo combined to go 1/11 with a walk and a double, and still significantly outplayed the Stennett-Taveras pairing for the Pirates, which went 0/13.

Weird managerial move: In the seventh, the Pirates pinch hit back-to-back with Bill Robinson and Ken Macha. They were pinch hitting for their first baseman and catcher, respectively, and neither pinch hitter could catch, but both of them could play first. Robinson was a very good hitter coming off a career year in '76; Macha was a virtual nonentity, and Robinson's spot would be up again sooner. So why didn't Duffy Dyer take over Macha's spot in the order instead of Robinson's? If Robinson is the hitter up after the leadoff man reaches in the 11th, the game could conceivably have had a different outcome.

Side note: I either did not realize or had forgotten that the Pirates had Tekulve and Gossage in the same bullpen. That's impressive. And they needed every one of the 236 innings those two combined for this year, because the rest of the relievers were really quite bad.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.