Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 01, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-1-2013

Pittsburgh Press, April 1, 1913:

Pitcher Jack Frost has an odd title among the Reds. Instead of calling him “lengthy” or “Long Jack”, they address him as “Roomy”.
No more baseball for Freddie Blanding in 1913. The star slabman for the Naps injured his leg in practice tryouts and is in a serious condition. “The injury is serious,” says Manager Birmingham. “The bone has been clipped and Fred will probably be out of the game during the coming season.”

The injury “limited” Blanding to 41 appearances (tenth in the league) and 215 innings in 1913.

As for Frost, I have no idea who he was. (Maybe this guy?) He never appeared in the majors, which is a shame because he had a supercool nickname.

Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: April 01, 2013 at 06:08 AM | 47 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, fred blanding, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: April 01, 2013 at 06:25 AM (#4400642)
Nope, it's not an April Fool's Joke. There are two football coaches running the Birthday Team.

C: Jack Cummings
1B: Willie Montanez
2B: Daniel Murphy
3B: Rich Amaral
SS: Moe Franklin
LF: Jeff Heath
CF: Fred Mann
RF: Rusty Staub

SP: Phil Niekro
SP: Frank Castillo
SP: Jake Wade
SP: Bob Brown
SP: Jake Thies
RP: Ron Perranoski

Manager: Hugo Bezdek
Inexplicable Team President: Bo Schembechler
   2. Dag Nabbit: secretary of the World Banana Forum Posted: April 01, 2013 at 08:21 AM (#4400655)
Up at THT: 10 things I didn't know about superstats, which does in fact contain the most recent update on WAR. If anyone can figure out what's going on w/ WAR and the 1991 Braves, you're one up on me.
   3. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: April 01, 2013 at 08:30 AM (#4400661)
Russell Martin is tired.
   4. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 01, 2013 at 08:50 AM (#4400674)
2013 could be a fascinating season

--will harper/trout build off their stellar rookie seasons?
--will braun/cano/etc be suspended?
--will the yanks tank?
--who will lose more, marlins or Astros?
--what impact will moving the fences have in seattle? (I always find the moving the fences thing fascinating)
--will adam dunn hit 30 homers and bat less than .200?

I could go on for some time.
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 01, 2013 at 08:52 AM (#4400676)
I like the term "slabman"
   6. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:07 AM (#4400683)
--who will lose more, marlins or Astros?

Don't count out the Twins.
   7. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:11 AM (#4400685)

2013 could be a fascinating season

Jays and Royals and Pirates all have a chance to be relevant again for the first time in a long time.
Aroldis Chapman - start or relieve?
Billy Hamilton could be a MLBer some time this season
Dodgers have a chance to be the first team with a billion dollar payroll

Don't count out the Twins.

Or the Mets. And the Cubs are a darkhorse.
   8. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:15 AM (#4400687)
Heh, my post got swallowed or something. I like HW's points, I'll add
-- Roy Halladay, done?
-- Petco has also moved in its fences.
   9. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:24 AM (#4400699)
--When Placido Polanco fails at cleanup hitter, will Juan Pierre be moved there?
--Which old non-prospects will become stars for the Cardinals this year (Kozma seems a likely candidate)?
--The return of Scott Kazmir
--Jurickson Profar, center fielder? Playing Kinsler at 1B or DH seems like a really poor allocation of talent.
   10. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:27 AM (#4400703)
The return of Scott Kazmir

that reads like the title of an old dimestore mystery
   11. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:37 AM (#4400708)
that reads like the title of an old dimestore mystery

Tagline: He couldn't succeed as an Angel, so he made a deal with the devil.
   12. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:40 AM (#4400710)
Game of the Day (yesterday): Astros 8, Rangers 2. Link is to the Fangraphs win expectancy graph because B-R doesn't appear to be putting up its boxscore until tomorrow, when there'll be more than one game to update.

I assume you guys are already mostly aware of Justin Maxwell's two triples and good outfielding and Erik Bedard's 3.1-inning save, so I'll skip the recap and use this as an excuse for a GotD poll. Last year, I posted the weekend games (well really the Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games) in the Friday dugout during the weekend. I could also easily post them in the Monday dugout on, well, Monday, if people would prefer that. I'd lean toward the second option if there's no strong preference, since I have Mondays off.

Also, a secondary update - the 1977 season opened on 4/6, and that's the past year I'm planning on tackling, so look for that starting one week from today.
   13. morineko Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:46 AM (#4400712)
Playing Kinsler at 1B or DH seems like a really poor allocation of talent.

The way Kinsler's been playing 2B in the last season, playing him there looks like a poor allocation of talent.
   14. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:51 AM (#4400714)
Opening day roster players I have never heard of:

Alex Sanabia (MIA)
TJ McFarland (BAL)
Darin Downs (DET)
Wilkin Ramirez (MIN)
Ryan Pressley (MIN)
Brandon Barnes (HOU)
JB Shuck (LAA)
Joe Ortiz (TEX)
Paco Rodriguez (LAD)
Alfredo Marte (ARI)
Hector Rondon (CHC)
Scott Rice (NYM)
Greg Burke (NYM)
Chris Valaika (MIA)

I think many of those are Rule 5 picks.

Guys I'm surprised are in the bigs

Matt Tuiasosopo (DET)
Scott Kazmir (CLE)
Alfredo Figaro (MIL)
Zach Duke (WAS)
Jon Garland (COL)
John Maine (MIA)
Cesar Izturis (CIN)
   15. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:53 AM (#4400715)
Wilkin Ramirez was a toolsy prospect at one point. Paco Rodriguez is a 2012 draftee who had a different first name in college (can't remember it now). Most of the other guys are Rule 5 or longtime minor leaguers.

edit: I did not realize that Joe Ortiz had made the team. He's a 5'7" left-handed relief pitcher.
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:55 AM (#4400716)
If anyone can figure out what's going on w/ WAR and the 1991 Braves, you're one up on me.

Having taken a quick glance... nope. The pitching staff was middle-of-the-pack in walks, strikeouts, and homers, and they weren't exactly awful in those categories in '90. Part of it may be the fact that WAR doesn't account for pitcher fielding and the '91 Braves led the league in pitcher assists, but it wasn't with a terribly historic total or anything (three NL teams in '92 had more).

In terms of personnel changes, the only one that occurred from '91 to '92 was Ron Gant moving from center to left and Otis Nixon taking over center, which makes some sense as an upgrade. But TZ has Gant as a -27 CF in '91 and a +10 LF in '92; it also has David Justice as a -14 RF in '91 and a +22 RF in '92.

Of course, those two improvements still only make up about half the difference between the two fielding scores.
   17. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:59 AM (#4400717)
   18. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:02 AM (#4400719)
I don't think this is an April Fools Joke, but Jon Heyman reports Elvis Andrus has signed an 8 year $120 million contract with the Rangers. That's not real, right?
   19. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:12 AM (#4400726)
Cue the Jurickson Profar trade rumors.
   20. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:15 AM (#4400727)
I don't think this is an April Fools Joke, but Jon Heyman reports Elvis Andrus has signed an 8 year $120 million contract with the Rangers. That's not real, right?

That locks him up for 10 years and 131 million. That's a lot of money and years for the Royce Clayton of his generation. (Yeah, I'm exaggerating, but not by a whole lot.)
   21. Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:18 AM (#4400732)
Happy opening day, folks.
   22. BDC Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:29 AM (#4400743)
ESPN is reporting the same thing re: Andrus. I tend to be optimistic about such a signing. Players like Andrus are not just littering the ground in the minor leagues. He may have an upside left in him (he's what, 24? one forgets that); he may have more relative value than, say, Clayton, if we're entering a barren period for offense where his glove and speed and hitting style are at a premium. And 10/131 may seem like a modest contract by the late 2010s. People have been saying, trade Andrus, he's expensive, he's not that good – but such trades give away certainties for questions.

As to Profar, there is more than one position on a baseball team, and if the Rangers can't figure out a way to get two good natural shortstops in the lineup, they're not going to win anything anyway.
   23. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:30 AM (#4400745)
Players like Andrus are not just littering the ground in the minor leagues

Actually for Texas, they are.
   24. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:35 AM (#4400750)
it's becoming pretty clear that any teams that were gearing up to haul in free agents after this season or next the pickings are going to be pretty slim.
   25. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:38 AM (#4400754)
they address him as “Roomy”.

The only one on the team to choose boxers over briefs, which may also explain why the alternative was "Long Jack."

26. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:40 AM (#4400756)
ESPN is reporting the same thing re: Andrus. I tend to be optimistic about such a signing. Players like Andrus are not just littering the ground in the minor leagues. He may have an upside left in him (he's what, 24? one forgets that); he may have more relative value than, say, Clayton, if we're entering a barren period for offense where his glove and speed and hitting style are at a premium. And 10/131 may seem like a modest contract by the late 2010s. People have been saying, trade Andrus, he's expensive, he's not that good – but such trades give away certainties for questions.

he may have more relative value than, say, Clayton, if we're entering a barren period for offense where his glove and speed and hitting style are at a premium.

Maybe, but the contract is so long you can't have any confidence in this prediction much less in your prediction of the player's individual development. He's a good player, but he's nowhere near transcendent enough--like a Posey--that the Rangers needed to lock themselves in for so long. On the other hand, the Rangers may have a ton crap of money to spend and figure this contract won't really be a burden even if it ends up as an overpay. Not knowing anything concrete about budgets makes it hard to really pin down how much risk a team is taking on with these deals.
   27. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:41 AM (#4400757)
[14], but you've heard of Ender Inciarte? (PHI)
   28. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:43 AM (#4400760)
As to Profar, there is more than one position on a baseball team, and if the Rangers can't figure out a way to get two good natural shortstops in the lineup, they're not going to win anything anyway.

The problem here is that Kinsler is also signed through 2017. If Profar's future is in Texas then one of these three should start seeing time in the outfield. Profar just put up an .820 OPS in AA, and is starting this season in AAA, so he's not all that far away.
   29. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:45 AM (#4400763)
The problem here is that Kinsler is also signed through 2017.

And Beltre through 2016.
   30. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:46 AM (#4400764)
Only because something was posted about Incariarte last week. But no, not really.

Yanks DFA P Clay Rapada, Reds DFA Jose Arrendondo. Both were pretty decent out of the pen last year. Rapada has a shoulder injury though.

Other DFAs:
OF Casper Wells (SEA)
1B Mauro Gomez (BOS)
C Stephen Vogt (TBR)
C Robinson Chirinos (TBR)
IF Jason Donald (CIN)
P David Huff (CLE)
OF Gorkys Hernandez (MIA)
3B Zack Cox (MIA)
P Evan Reed (MIA)
P Scott Maine (MIA)

Released
OF Ryan Sweeney (BOS)
C Ronny Paulino (SEA)
OF Corey Patterson (NYM)
P Craig Hansen (NYM)
P Danny Ray Herrera (NYM)
IF Brad Holt! (NYM)
P Hayden Simpson (CHC) (former 1st round pick)
P Dontrelle Willis (CHC)
   31. BDC Posted: April 01, 2013 at 10:46 AM (#4400765)
He's a good player, but he's nowhere near transcendent enough

I agree, but I guess my philosophy is simply that good (which includes consistent and durable) players are rarer than one assumes. But you're right, the longer the term of a contract, the more uncertainties, to the point where any guess about the early 2020s is a shot in the dark.

The Rangers were surprisingly unhampered by the Michael Young contract, and it's interesting to see them sign Andrus to a similar deal in its aftermath. With Young, they got better play than I'd have hoped for, and they treated him with the exact amount of unsentimentality and functional logic that one needs when guys get to the overpaid point. Nine years from now, Andrus may well be in decline – but may well be playing third base for the Phillies …
   32. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: April 01, 2013 at 11:24 AM (#4400802)
I think Arredondo was already successfully outrighted. If so, that's weird.
   33. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: April 01, 2013 at 11:26 AM (#4400804)
P David Huff (CLE)
Yeah, it was time. If the Indians never spend another first-round pick on a college arm who throws in the high 80s, I'll be just fine with that. I love this line from a 2007 scouting report:
Huff often is compared to Tom Glavine, Barry Zito and Jeremy Sowers.
In that they're all left-handed Caucasians, one would assume.
   34. just plain joe Posted: April 01, 2013 at 11:33 AM (#4400810)
Alex Sanabia (MIA)

Sanabia actually started 12 games for the Marlins in 2011, and pitched reasonably well, a 1.244 WHIP. He started 2 games in 2012 and then disappeared from the majors; I am assuming that he was hurt.

J.B. Shuck had 91 PA's for the Astros in 2011.

There was a Greg Burke who pitched a little for the Padres in 2009, not sure if this is the same guy.
   35. JJ1986 Posted: April 01, 2013 at 11:41 AM (#4400817)
Yeah, it was time. If the Indians never spend another first-round pick on a college arm who throws in the high 80s, I'll be just fine with that. I love this line from a 2007 scouting report:

In my mind, there is no difference between Huff, Laffey, Sowers, Scott Lewis and Shawn Nottingham. There might have been one more too.

edit: Chuck Lofgren.
   36. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:08 PM (#4400853)
The only real difference is that Nottingham is, as far as I know, the first graduate of my high school to get as high as AAA ball. So there's that.

I always liked Aaron Laffey and thought he got a raw deal in Cleveland. He's not good, but he's a guy you can plug into the rotation and get cromulent results while you solve actual problems elsewhere on the roster.
   37. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:16 PM (#4400869)
Up at THT: 10 things I didn't know about superstats, which does in fact contain the most recent update on WAR. If anyone can figure out what's going on w/ WAR and the 1991 Braves, you're one up on me.
the multi-year park factor for the 1991 braves is 106, while the one year park factor is 113.

at least that's something that stands out to me.
   38. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:26 PM (#4400882)
Yanks DFA P Clay Rapada, Reds DFA Jose Arrendondo. Both were pretty decent out of the pen last year. Rapada has a shoulder injury though.

I don't think Arredondo is 100% healthy either, and he was out of options so they really didn't have much choice there. According to MLB Trade Rumors, he's already cleared waivers and was sent to Louisville.

-- MWE
   39. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:28 PM (#4400885)
P Hayden Simpson (CHC) (former 1st round pick)

Most of Jim Hendry's picks made sense once you figured out Jim Hendry: didn't much care for patient hitters, liked power, loved toolsy types, adored weak-hitting middle infielders.

But the Simpson pick was so far out of left field. Twitter went nuts when the pick was made; I couldn't find a single analyst or sportswriter who had Simpson anywhere near the spot he was taken. Just bizarre.

P Dontrelle Willis (CHC)

Dunno why, but I was rooting for him to make some kind of comeback. Ah well.
   40. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:31 PM (#4400891)
There was a Greg Burke who pitched a little for the Padres in 2009, not sure if this is the same guy.

It is. He's a Dukie who pitched in the Orioles' organization a year ago.

-- MWE
   41. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:49 PM (#4400918)
But the Simpson pick was so far out of left field. Twitter went nuts when the pick was made; I couldn't find a single analyst or sportswriter who had Simpson anywhere near the spot he was taken. Just bizarre.

I was just listening to a Tim Wilken interview and he was talking about another surprising pick they made, Colvin. He seems pretty happy with that one.

Burke has dropped his arm slot down a bit, I think - close to sidearm.

Arredondo - he may not be 100% healthy, but performed just fine in ST and in three of his four big league seasons (all but the one where he got injured). I'd've found a way to keep him around and, heck, he could close for Houston (when Bedard is starting).
   42. Mike Emeigh Posted: April 01, 2013 at 12:58 PM (#4400934)
Arredondo lost out to Manny Parra and Alfredo Simon, and cleared waivers. Really, I think that's about all you need to know about where he is right now. The basic problem is that he doesn't throw strikes consistently, so he's hard to put out there to protect a lead.

-- MWE
   43. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: April 01, 2013 at 01:04 PM (#4400943)
Right - again, he could close for Houston. (Sounds like Jose Veras.)
   44. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 01, 2013 at 01:25 PM (#4400971)
I want Arredondo on the Pirates. They need someone to join the bland bullpen bunch, to be intimidating and confuse the hitters a bit. I think this was supposed to be Jared Hughes's role at one point, but he has fallen way down on the job with only 22 walks and 50 strikeouts in 75 innings last year.
   45. akrasian Posted: April 01, 2013 at 01:28 PM (#4400977)
Right - again, he could close for Houston.

That's "Best Record in the Major Leagues" Houston.
   46. Der-K: Hipster doofus Posted: April 01, 2013 at 01:31 PM (#4400982)
I dunno, from what I hear the AL isn't "real" baseball.
   47. Cblau Posted: April 01, 2013 at 09:37 PM (#4401682)
Yes, James R. Frost is the Jack Frost in question. See this Sporting Life note.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.