Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-26-2018

New York Tribune, April 26, 1918:

A decision as to whether Christopher Mathewson will be released from the management of the Cincinnati National League club in order to go to France to promote baseball among the American troops may be reached at a conference in Pittsburgh to-day between Mathewson and August Herrmann, president of the Cincinnati club.
In the event that Matty goes to France it is said that Hal Chase will manage the Reds during the absence of the old master.

Avoid France, Matty. Trust me.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 09:57 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5660884)
A good Birthday Team today. The pitching staff is strong and deep, and if the top prospect keeps hitting this way, this has a chance to become an elite-level Birthday Outfield.

C: Whitey Ritterson (-0.29 WAR)
1B: Dale Alexander (15.56 WAR)
2B: Granny Hamner (18.72 WAR)
3B: Joe Crede (14.69 WAR)
SS/Manager: Jack Barry (25.94 WAR)
LF: Hack Wilson (38.85 WAR)
CF: Amos Otis (42.8 WAR)
RF: Ron Northey (14.84 WAR)

SP: Virgil Trucks (40.57 WAR)
SP: Ray Caldwell (36.45 WAR)
SP: Sal Maglie (30.92 WAR)
SP: Mike Scott (22.87 WAR)
SP: Brian Anderson (9.98 WAR)
RP: Francisco Cordova (13.44 WAR)

Top prospect: Aaron Judge (9.47 WAR)
Utilityguy: Sean Rodriguez (9.06 WAR)
Umpire: Merle Anthony
No relation to Al: Sam Dente
Not that one: Fritz Clausen
Settle down, Beavis: Jim Cockman
Writers: Bernard Malamud, Murray Janoff
   2. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:02 AM (#5660885)
Of course, April 26 has a long way to go before it can match November 21 and its outfield of Musial-Griffey Jr-Tommy McCraw.
   3. crict Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5660898)
Instead of working, I ended up this morning on the wikipedia page for MLB player-managers. Two things related to this:`

1) I learned that Martin Prado served as player-manager for the Marlins, during the last game of 2016. Somehow I had missed that.

2) A note mentioned that rules are different for player-managers wrt mound visits. Were the new rules of this season written to account for the possibilities of player-managers?
   4. sotapop Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5660928)
I realize that only Jim and I and maybe three other Primates care about the Rays, but two cool things from last night's game:

The 8-4 win marks the first time in Rays history where the team has scored 8 runs in four straight games. (That's also exactly four more times than I predicted they would score 8 runs this season.)

And after three Tommy John surgeries and nearly six years, former Braves star setup man Jonny Venters pitched in a major league game. He faced one batter, getting Chris Davis on a 6-3 on his fourth pitch.
   5. Batman Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:47 AM (#5660937)
Judge would already have one of the top career WARs on a lot of birthday teams.
   6. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5660944)
And after three Tommy John surgeries and nearly six years, former Braves star setup man Jonny Venters pitched in a major league game. He faced one batter, getting Chris Davis on a 6-3 on his fourth pitch.
Four pitches, eh? I assume he's seeing Dr. Andrews this morning?
   7. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 26, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5660945)
There was a bit of a lively discussion in the dugout yesterday on the legality of a runner on first charging the mound (with a LHP so he could see it), before veering off to second to steal. The theory was this could force the pitcher to balk and thus get free bases. There was a lot of opinion, but little to no facts. I found the rule which address this and posted it, but the thread was dead. I re-post in case anyone was interested but was done with the thread.

"I don't know if MLB has a rule like this, but in HS, it is considered interference if the offense does anything to deliberately induce a balk. I would rule this to be one of those."

MLB does not have such a rule.

"Yes it does. Rule 6.04(a)3:"

(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach’s box or on the playing field, or elsewhere:

(3) Call “Time,” or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

"Emphasis mine. So the runner is not out, but he is ejected."
   8. Rally Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5660978)
PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

He should also have his children taken away. And pets too.
   9. bobm Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:17 AM (#5660986)
[3]
The finale brought a welcomed air of levity, too. Third baseman Martin Prado served as the acting manager for the day, catcher Jeff Mathis his bench coach. Mattingly brought that last-day tradition with him from his days as the New York Yankees' hitting and bench coach under Joe Torre in the mid-2000s.

"Sometimes you question managerial guys making decisions. Now that I was in that spot — only for one game — I don't know if I can do it, man," Prado said. "There's so much stuff. The game speeds up and there's so many things you have to be aware of. I won't ever say anything bad about any manager."

Prado went 1 for 2 and played two innings in the field before sticking to his bench work. With the Nationals leading and threatening for more, he pulled Koehler in the fourth inning — an unusual sight, a teammate walking to the mound to take the ball from the pitcher. Koehler was not pleased.

"I think it's a little bit funnier now than I did at the time," Koehler said.

Added Prado: "I was just thinking, 'I might get punched in the face.'"

Sun Sentinel 10/2/16 "Martin Prado serves as player-manager as Marlins end season with loss to Nationals"
   10. Rally Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:19 AM (#5660998)
I learned that Martin Prado served as player-manager for the Marlins, during the last game of 2016. Somehow I had missed that.

I had no idea either. My guess would be there had been no player-manager since Pete Rose. BBref lists Don Mattingly as the only Marlins manager for 2016. I don't think it's unusual for a player to be given manager duties at the end of a long season, especially when the team has been eliminated from the playoffs. I've heard of that situation before but don't consider that a real player-manager situation. Kind of like when Jeter and Pettitte went to the mound to take Mariano out of his last game.
   11. The usual palaver and twaddle (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:45 AM (#5661032)

BBref lists Don Mattingly as the only Marlins manager for 2016.

I think BB-REF treated this situation as if Mattingly had gotten ejected. They don't count games like that, either.
   12. Man o' Schwar Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:52 AM (#5661039)
I don't think it's unusual for a player to be given manager duties at the end of a long season, especially when the team has been eliminated from the playoffs. I've heard of that situation before but don't consider that a real player-manager situation. Kind of like when Jeter and Pettitte went to the mound to take Mariano out of his last game.

I remember the Cubs doing this back in the mid-80s when Jim Frey was the manager. Sarge Mathews I believe got the nod.
   13. crict Posted: April 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM (#5661048)
To be more precise, Prado is not on Wikipedia's list of player-managers. But he's mentioned on the multi-sport player-coach page.
   14. Man o' Schwar Posted: April 26, 2018 at 12:02 PM (#5661057)
I was inspired to look back at the 1985 Cubs schedule to see if my memory was correct. I found this (not to belabor the pace of play discussions)- they played a September game against the Expos that took a leisurely 3:32. Of course, the final score of the game was 17-15, and it was their longest 9-inning game of the year. The Cubs fell behind 15-2, but scored 12 runs in the last 3 innings, including 5 in the 9th before the game ended with the tying run at the plate. Two different relievers (one for each team) were left on the mound to give up at least earned 7 runs. Between both teams, there were a combined 11 Ks and 11 walks, plus 8 HRs.

Their shortest game - 1:59, a shutout loss to John Tudor.

I forget how much faster those games moved. I wonder if 14-year-old me would have had the attention span to stick with some of 2018's 4.5 hour+ 9-inning contests.
   15. BDC Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:26 PM (#5661138)
I learned last night that today is Nomar Mazara's 23rd birthday. He has all of 0.6 WAR in the majors, but would probably start for some Birthday Teams – yet as noted he is well behind Aaron Judge on the depth chart, and Judge isn't even starting.

Mazara had an off-year for Texas in 2017 but still drove in 101 runs. He was the inverse of Joey Gallo, who slugged .537 but was batting low in the order behind guys who made a lot of outs. Mazara batted third most of last year behind some good OBP guys, so got to 101 RBIs despite batting .253 and slugging .422.
   16. Batman Posted: April 26, 2018 at 01:30 PM (#5661140)
On July 10, 1983, (a year before they played the longest extra inning game) the White Sox and Brewers played what was then the longest nine-inning game ever, in 4:11. There were eight nine-inning games last year that lasted at least that long. The longest was a Rangers-Angels game at 4:33, when the Rangers didn't even have to hit in the bottom of the ninth.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.