Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 28, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-28-2014

Pittsburgh Press, April 28, 1914:

Moving picture machines are to be used as a means of showing the faults of the New York Giants. This new method of teaching baseball has been decided upon by Manager McGraw.

Each day moving pictures will be taken of the Giants during the game. The next day these pictures will be thrown on a screen in the Giants’ club house so that each mistake made by a player can be seen an commented upon.
If the movies scheme proves practical, the plan may be adopted by other managers.

McGraw wasn’t exactly my cup of tea as a person, but every time I read about him innovating, he impresses me more and more.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 28, 2014 at 07:58 AM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, john mcgraw

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 28, 2014 at 08:00 AM (#4695611)
Today's Birthday Team. David Freese catching? Yeah, David Freese catching.

Freese caught an inning in 2009, and the only other April 28 player with experience at catcher is Alex Gardner, who went 0-for-3 with six errors (!) in his only MLB game. Freese never caught in the minor leagues, but he spent a few weeks learning the position when he was a Padres farmhand stuck behind Chase Headley.

C: David Freese
1B: Russ Morman
2B: Luis Quinones
3B: Charlie Metro
SS: Barry Larkin
LF: Red Treadway
CF: Jackie Brandt
RF: Mike Chartak

SP: Red Lucas
SP: Tom Browning
SP: Pedro Ramos
SP: Tom Sturdivant
SP: John Cerutti
RP: Jim Poole

Fun Names: Cuddles Marshall, Rinty Monahan
   2. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 28, 2014 at 08:31 AM (#4695622)
Birthday boy Cuddles Marshall had a really bizarre career. In 1945, as a 20-year-old in Kansas City, he threw 173 innings of "kinda sorta if you squint a little" league average-ish ball, but walked 107 batters in 173 innings.

Marshall was up in the majors the next year as a swingman for the Yankees. It went about as well as you'd expect: 81 IP, 96 H, 56 BB, 32 K, 65 ERA+. So it was back to Kansas City in '47, where he continued to be borderline cromulent for an American Association pitcher. He did about the same thing in '48, walked everybody in sight, didn't do anything to distinguish himself. That earned him a one-inning cameo for the Yanks, where he walked three guys.

Cuddles was back in the bigs with the Yankees in 1949, and he was the same guy he'd always been: 49.1 IP, 48 hits, 48 walks, 13 strikeouts.

So, of course, he was once again a major league pitcher in 1950, and the same Cuddles everybody knew and loved: 53.2 IP, 72 hits, 51 walks, 24 strikeouts. 7.88 ERA. That finally, mercifully, ended the Cuddles Marshall saga.

I'd love to know how his career happened. I get it when a high draft pick gets chances he may not really have earned, and I understand when a guy like Darin Erstad parlays one great season into eight or nine years of blech. I even understand why pitchers like Brad Pennington have careers - you can't teach a guy to throw 100 MPH, but you can teach some people to throw strikes. But what in the world caused people to intentionally employ Cuddles Marshall?

He wasn't a bonus baby, doesn't appear to have thrown particularly hard, never pitched well anywhere ever, and somehow came away with a World Series ring and nearly 200 career innings. My hat's off to Cuddles for convincing people he was worthwhile, but that is one weird career.
   3. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 28, 2014 at 08:40 AM (#4695624)
things I find interesting

thru Saturday

--Pittsburgh leads the nl in hit batsmen with 15
-----the mets have only hit one batter
--Milwaukee has issued only one intentional walk. hooray for ron!
--by all measures the Arizona pitching staff is terrible so far this season. you name it, they stink at it
--philly has only turned 12 double plays so far this season
--san diego has only scored 65 runs??
   4. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 28, 2014 at 09:21 AM (#4695640)
Games of April 25:

1984 - a pitching matchup of a future Hall of Famer and a guy who would have won the next season's Cy Young if he'd pitched as well in almost any year other than 1985. It still turned into a slugfest, with the notable exception of the 4-5 hitters on one of the teams.

2014 - enters the ninth tied, then road team takes the lead, then home team wins; that's always fun. Also, hitters on each team set positive career highs (so not like 3 double plays or anything), one of which was slightly more helpful than the other. Oh, and it's the second-best 9-inning game of the year so far.
   5. BDC Posted: April 28, 2014 at 09:27 AM (#4695644)
Moving picture machines are to be used as a means of showing the faults of the New York Giants

Still are, to the dismay of Tom Coughlin.
   6. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 28, 2014 at 09:30 AM (#4695646)
Games of April 26:

1984 - a rookie cements himself as a franchise hero, and a position that was usually a strong point becomes a glaring weakness for one day. Also, if you have heard of both starting pitchers in this one, congratulations are in order.

2014 - a highly anonymous bullpen pitches brilliantly despite blowing a save, and a great player extends a pretty inconsequential all-time franchise lead.
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM (#4695701)
The Game of April 27, 1984 was the best of that year so far, and it also comes with a bunch of crazy things: It lasted 19 innings, and one of the teams used only four pitchers, but made up for it by also using four third basemen. That same team also lost the DH, and ended up wishing they could have used a DF instead. Throw in a couple of key hits from someone who made me wonder whether the game was played in 1984 or 1954 and the fact that the devastating loss was handed to one of the teams most able to afford one in major league history... yeah, it's a good game.
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM (#4695702)
McGraw wasn’t exactly my cup of tea as a person, but every time I read about him innovating, he impresses me more and more.

For anyone looking for more on McGraw, Charles Alexander did a full biography.

Edit: guess I should add that I'm amazed McGraw was doing this, too.
   9. TerpNats Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:05 PM (#4695894)
Speaking of McGraw and movies...I was doing some film history research today from April 1934, and noticed that MGM had planned to do a McGraw biopic (I think he had recently passed on) but scrapped it because they couldn't find an actor to portray him.
   10. esseff Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:26 PM (#4695912)
Speaking of McGraw and movies...I was doing some film history research today from April 1934, and noticed that MGM had planned to do a McGraw biopic (I think he had recently passed on) but scrapped it because they couldn't find an actor to portray him.

Seems like Cagney would have been a fit, but he was a Warner Bros. player.
   11. Born1951 Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4695919)
Each day moving pictures will be taken of the Giants during the game. The next day these pictures will be thrown on a screen in the Giants’ club house so that each mistake made by a player can be seen an commented upon.

Too bad these movies weren't saved, would be fascinating to view them.
   12. Born1951 Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:52 PM (#4695929)
There are around 20 games a year in the major leagues when teams get 3 hits or less and still win. The Yankees had lost 34 straight such games before last night. The Reds currently have a streak of 35, but most team's streaks are much shorter.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:56 PM (#4695931)
There are around 20 games a year in the major leagues when teams get 3 hits or less and still win. The Yankees had lost 34 straight such games before last night.

Speaking of...

Yesterday's Game of the Day, in which the two teams used very different starters but still had a weirdly symmetrical scoring pattern for most of the night. It lasted until one of the bullpens lost all semblance of aim.
   14. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 28, 2014 at 01:57 PM (#4695932)
But what in the world caused people to intentionally employ Cuddles Marshall?

Probably the sheer joy of the adorable way he laughed when people tickled his belly.
   15. BDC Posted: April 28, 2014 at 02:03 PM (#4695937)
Seems like Cagney would have been a fit, but he was a Warner Bros. player

Wallace Beery was an MGM star at the time – maybe too old if they wanted a lot of the young McGraw, though, or maybe too big a star to put in a mere baseball movie. Just per se, he'd have been terrific. I wonder if he was considered at all, even in passing.
   16. Rennie's Tenet Posted: April 28, 2014 at 03:16 PM (#4696005)
The great over-the-air subchannel MeTV has a movie channel called Movies! Right now they are showing consecutively: Pride of St. Louis, Safe at Home!, Rhubarb, Bad News Bears, Bang the Drum Slowly, and Fear Strikes Out.
   17. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 28, 2014 at 03:32 PM (#4696019)
Catch your Columbo at 8:00 PM Sunday night on MeTV! It always had a few stars per episode, both contemporary to the time and older, faded stars. Sometimes Columbo is so annoying that I find myself rooting for the villain. :)

Cagney in 1934 would have been so perfect as McGraw, still plenty of energy to carry off the early days and enough character and depth to play older.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.