Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, April 04, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 4-4-2014

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, April 4, 1914:

Armando Marsans, left fielder of the Cincinnati Reds, deserted the team [yesterday] following a clash with Manager Herzog.
On Wednesday Marsans was slightly injured sliding into a base, and was unable to take part in the contest against Louisville on Thursday. [Yesterday] afternoon Herzog ordered Marsans to play left field, but the Cuban stated that he was not in condition to play.

“Go out and play just the same,” said Manager Herzog. “I’m tired of all this stalling among you players.”
As [Marsans] went through the gates he was heard to say: “I am through with the Reds for good. Guess that I will jump to the Federals, as they have been anxious to secure me all year.”

This was a pretty big deal. Over the past two years as a semi-everyday player, Marsans had hit .307 and had gotten some MVP support.

He was back with the Reds within a week or so, but jumped to the Federal League at midseason.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 04, 2014 at 07:47 AM | 14 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: armando marsans, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 04, 2014 at 07:51 AM (#4679045)
Excellent position players, two World Series-winning managers, a commissioner, and absolutely no pitching on today's Birthday Team:

C/Manager: Gil Hodges
1B: Mike Epstein
2B: Tommy Herr
3B: Scott Rolen
SS: Jim Fregosi
LF: Joe Vosmik
CF: Tris Speaker
RF: John Hummel

SP: Eddie Watt
SP: Willie Ramsdell
SP: Carlos Reyes
SP: Bill Upham
SP: Matt Wagner
RP: 1950s Frank Smith

Failed prospects: Brad Komminsk, Casey Daigle
Commissioner: Bart Giamatti
   2. BDC Posted: April 04, 2014 at 10:08 AM (#4679105)
Adrian Beltre Milestone Watch: I saw Beltre drive in two runs, including the game-winner, in Arlington Tuesday night: going from 1,307 to 1,309 career, Beltre passed Paul Molitor and Steve Garvey, and tied Paul Waner for 103rd on the career leaderboard. Those are some serious run-producin' peers to put in one's rearview mirror.
   3. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 04, 2014 at 10:26 AM (#4679126)
After watching Franklin Morales ground out on a 3-2 pitch yesterday, I came to the following tactical decision: If I were an NL manager, I would forbid my pitchers to ever swing at any pitch once they had reached a three-ball count. Even if it's 3-2.

Morales walked his next time up, which I think completely vindicates my decision.
   4. Davo Dozier Posted: April 04, 2014 at 12:10 PM (#4679262)
After watching Franklin Morales ground out on a 3-2 pitch yesterday, I came to the following tactical decision: If I were an NL manager, I would forbid my pitchers to ever swing at any pitch once they had reached a three-ball count. Even if it's 3-2.

I think the lowest-level minor league affiliate of the Houston Astros has enforced that rule for all players on the 3-2 count specifically.
   5. Good cripple hitter Posted: April 04, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4679266)
I think the lowest-level minor league affiliate of the Houston Astros has enforced that rule for all players on the 3-2 count specifically.

There's an article about that here.

According to a quote from another article "They have suggested to their hitters that they should be more selective with a full count, and according to sources they have also suggested to their minor-league managers that if the hitters don't do it on their own, it could be made mandatory at some point."
   6. Walt Davis Posted: April 04, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4679335)
As [Marsans] went through the gates he was heard to say: “I am through with the Reds for good. Guess that I will jump to the Federals, as they have been anxious to secure me all year.”

Them Cubans sure talk funny. :-)
   7. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: April 04, 2014 at 01:42 PM (#4679345)
Does anyone know of a good source/site for finding out which of a team's players have minor league options remaining? During last night's game the announcers implied that Sam Fuld is out of options and would likely be waived when Craig Gentry came back. I'd like to find out how much truth there is to that.
   8. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: April 04, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4679383)
mlbtr's out of option page.
Not perfect - it wouldn't include a guy like Fuld who wasn't on the 40 at the time it was compiled (and is out of options - I think your scenario will happen) - but useful.
   9. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: April 04, 2014 at 02:23 PM (#4679412)
Interesting, thanks.

I should have kept looking. On Fuld's B-Ref page, of all places, I found a link saying that exact thing. Oh well. He'll be a good 4th outfielder for somebody.
   10. Davo Dozier Posted: April 04, 2014 at 02:32 PM (#4679424)
Sam Fuld is on pace to SHATTER Chief Wilson's single-season triple record. Why would they ever waive him?
   11. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 04, 2014 at 03:18 PM (#4679475)
Indians and Twins in a rain delay because there's a line of heavy rain three counties away and moving towards Cleveland. Thumbs down.
   12. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 04, 2014 at 05:04 PM (#4679553)
I linked these in the Omnichatter yesterday since there wasn't a Dugout, but I'm not sure how much the threads overlap, so...

Games of Days so far this year:

Opening Day
April Fool's
The day of the crazy Cubs-Pirates game, which includes a couple of Emilio Bonifacio-related trivialities

And finally, Opening Day 1984, which is the past season I'm doing this year. So at least I'll get to observe one winning Cubs season.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 04, 2014 at 05:59 PM (#4679589)
Yesterday's GotD:

Twins 10, White Sox 9.
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: April 04, 2014 at 06:59 PM (#4679628)
1984's Game of the Day:

A's 6, Brewers 5, featuring all kinds of '80s stuff: Don Sutton and Steve McCatty, a relief appearance longer than a (reasonably long) start, and Rollie Fingers pitching against the A's instead of for them.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.