Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-14-2013

Toledo News-Bee, May 14, 1913:

ST. LOUIS, May 14.—(Special.)—During a ball game here a fly ball dropped within a few feet of a cow. Bossie beat the fielder to the sphere and gulped it down. The runner romped home.

I’ve (fairly hurriedly) scanned the current rulebook and don’t see any applicable rule that would make the ball dead if a cow eats it. Everything I’ve seen either refers to people or inanimate objects coming into contact with the ball. I think that makes this the right call.

Is there a rule I’m missing?

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 06:12 AM | 27 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: bovine cannibalism, dugout, history, rules

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 06:18 AM (#4442364)
Heckuva Birthday Team today. They've even got a high-end Primate.

C: Pat Borders
1B: Tony Perez
2B: Joey Cora
3B: Fran Mullins
SS/Manager: Dick Howser
LF: Bob Thurman
CF: Earle Combs
RF: Hosken Powell

SP: Ed Walsh
SP: Roy Halladay
SP: Dennis Martinez
SP: Dick Tidrow
SP: Brian Lawrence
RP: Dave LaRoche

Co-Owners: J.L. Wilkinson and Alex Pompez
Cool Name: Wimpy Quinn
Primate: Dag Nabbit
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 14, 2013 at 07:46 AM (#4442373)
’ve (fairly hurriedly) scanned the current rulebook and don’t see any applicable rule that would make the ball dead if a cow eats it.

It's an odd omission, since there's a rule that specifically covers when a pig eats a ball.
   3. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: May 14, 2013 at 08:00 AM (#4442375)
Thanks for the note, Dan.

Baseball history item at THT notes that today is the 25th anniversary of the Jose Oquendo game. One of the most bizarre games in baseball history.
   4. just plain joe Posted: May 14, 2013 at 08:20 AM (#4442381)
It's an odd omission, since there's a rule that specifically covers when a pig eats a ball.

Would that be an "inside the pork" home run?
   5. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 08:34 AM (#4442389)
Not a rule and not clearly helpful, but...

Ask the Umpire
By Ralph Nelson
MLB VP Umpiring

Throughout the season, Major League Baseball umpires will be fielding your questions on MLB.com. Have a question? Send it in. [...]

Can you tell me what was called when Randy Johnson hit the dove with the ball (i.e. ball, dead ball, no pitch, or foul)?
-- L. Crowder

That bizarre play is not covered in the Official Rules. When a situation is not covered, Rule 9.01(c) comes into play. That rule gives the umpire authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in the Rules. In such instances the umpire is instructed to use "common sense and fair play." In this game, the umpires called it no pitch, as this was the fairest thing to do.

As a side-note, MLB Regulations do cover a batted or thrown ball (but not a pitched ball) touching an animal: "If a batted or thrown ball strikes a bird or other animal on the playing field, consider the ball alive and in play, the same as if it had not touched the bird or animal."

Http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/feature.jsp?feature=qa1
   6. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 08:43 AM (#4442393)
Thanks, Bob. I guess maybe they'd have had to tag the baserunner with the cow, which obviously would have been the coolest thing that's ever happened at a sporting event.

On a completely unrelated note, it seems the Korea Baseball Organization streams its games live, for free, on Youtube.
   7. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 08:55 AM (#4442398)
I guess maybe they'd have had to tag the baserunner with the cow

Like using a giant, living, untanned glove. :)

ETA: to be worn at the fielder's risk
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 09:23 AM (#4442410)
I’ve (fairly hurriedly) scanned the current rulebook and don’t see any applicable rule that would make the ball dead if a cow eats it. Everything I’ve seen either refers to people or inanimate objects coming into contact with the ball. I think that makes this the right call.

Is there a rule I’m missing?

Haha, we don't go by rules anymore.
   9. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM (#4442456)
Quick question: Where can I find team W-L records for having a lead after 7 innings, after 8 innings, etc?
   10. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM (#4442487)
Would that be an "inside the pork" home run?

Bingo!

On a completely unrelated note, it seems the Korea Baseball Organization streams its games live, for free, on Youtube.

This will be great. I used to love when the Softbank Hawks streamed their games in the morning. Much better than morning news.
   11. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM (#4442589)
Moose Stubing went 0-for-5 in his brief MLB career with four strikeouts, then went 0-8 as a manager.

That's gotta be a record or something.
   12. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM (#4442618)
[9]

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/inning_summary.cgi?year=2013&team_id=KCR

Inning-by-Inning W-L

Record when tied, leading or behind at the start of the inning 

Ahea        Tied          Behi
Inning    W L     %  W  L     %    W  L     %
1         0       0 19 16 0.543    0        0
2         5 3 0.625  6 10 0.375    8  3 0.727
3         6 2 0.750  3  5 0.375   10  9 0.526
4         6 2 0.750  4  5 0.444    9  9 0.500
5         9 3 0.750  3  3 0.500    7 10 0.412
6        12 4 0.750  1  1 0.500    6 11 0.353
7        15 3 0.833  1  1 0.500    3 12 0.200
8        14 3 0.824  1  2 0.333    4 11 0.267
9        15 2 0.882  3  0 1.000    1 14 0.067
10        0       0  3  1 0.750    0        0
11        0       0  0  1 0.000    0        0

13. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM (#4442623)
Thanks bobm.
   14. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM (#4442661)
No problem.

Separately:

In Sunday's omnichatter someone asked about how many home teams won without batting in the 9th inning. I was surprised at how many home teams won batting only 8 times (24 outs) against the visitors batting 9 times (27 outs).
   15. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 14, 2013 at 01:00 PM (#4442668)
I wonder if it's more common to win with a "walk-off" with 0 outs, 1 out or 2 outs?
   16. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM (#4442695)
All of MLB: 106 Plate Appearances in 2012, during 9th Inning and walk-off 

Outs
1 49
2 39
0 18
   17. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 01:27 PM (#4442707)
All of MLB: 93 Plate Appearances in 2012, during Extra Innings and walk-off 

Outs
1 36
2 33
0 24

18. Karl from NY Posted: May 14, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4442787)
I'm surprised by those results - I'd expect 2 outs to be the most common, because more runs are scored with 2 outs than with 0 or 1, because there were more previous chances for baserunners to accumulate and also they can run on contact.

The culprit must be sacrifice flies, which are possible with 1 out but not 2. I'm guessing those numbers are for the outs at the time of the at-bat, even though a sacrifice fly really scores the run after an additional out is recorded.
   19. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 14, 2013 at 03:22 PM (#4442863)
Jair Jurrjens is back baby. To start Saturday for the O's with Chen on the DL.
   20. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 14, 2013 at 03:52 PM (#4442925)
The culprit must be sacrifice flies, which are possible with 1 out but not 2.

More likely the culprit is that teams play the infield and outfield in with a runner on third and fewer than two outs, so a ball that might be a sacrifice fly in another situation probably falls for a hit in a walkoff situation.

-- MWE
   21. bobm Posted: May 14, 2013 at 04:21 PM (#4442969)
All of MLB: 1080 Plate Appearances Allowed in 2012, during 9th Inning, as last play of game and Home Games

Compare this to 106 walkoff wins by the home team in 9-inning games noted above.
   22. SoSH U at work Posted: May 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM (#4442973)
More likely the culprit is that teams play the infield and outfield in with a runner on third and fewer than two outs, so a ball that might be a sacrifice fly in another situation probably falls for a hit in a walkoff situation.

Are sac flies excluded from Crispix' list? I'd say it was the combo of infield in/sac fly potential that led to more game-winning runs scoring with fewer than two outs.

23. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 14, 2013 at 05:57 PM (#4443049)
Game of the day (yesterday): Cardinals 6, Mets 3.

I'm not one to rip on ordinary baseball games under typical circumstances. Yesterday... is not a typical circumstance. There were 11 games played, and this is the only one that scores above the median for excitement. Nine of the games were decided by at least 4 runs.

But it's still baseball, which means you can always find something, right? So let's do that.

The Mets loaded the bases on a Daniel Murphy single and a pair of walks in the first inning, but Lance Lynn struck out John Buck to strand all three runners. Matt Carpenter drew a leadoff walk from Jeremy Hefner, moved to second on Matt Holliday's one-out single, and scored on Allen Craig's ground-rule double. After Yadier Molina walked to load the bases, the Cardinals did something I'm not sure I've ever seen before: they scored a run on an inning-ending double play. Jon Jay flied out to left, Holliday tagged and came home, and Craig was thrown out trying for third.

New York rallied in the second. Rick Ankiel started things off by drawing a walk against the team that brought him up. He moved to second on Hefner's one-out sac bunt, then watched Mike Baxter walk behind him. Murphy then doubled, scoring both runners to tie the game, and David Wright followed with a go-ahead RBI single. The lead was short-lived, however, as singles by David Freese, Daniel Descalso, and Carpenter combined to score St. Louis's third run of the day; they went on to load the bases before Holliday hit into an inning-ending double play (this time without a run scoring).

Both starters issued a only a walk in the third, and both starters then proceeded to keep the bases clear for the next three innings. Hefner was lifted for a pinch hitter in the top of the seventh, but Justin Turner was retired and the Mets once again failed to score. Scott Rice took over the mound in the bottom of the inning. With one out, Ty Wigginton doubled in place of Lynn, bringing Carpenter to the plate.

Carpenter lined the ball up the middle, hitting Rice in the leg. The ball rebounded into foul territory on the first base side, about halfway up the line. Rice took off after it, as did Buck from behind the plate. Buck reached the ball first, but not soon enough for his throw to beat Carpenter to the base.

You may have noticed that, with the pitcher and catcher both after the ball, nobody was left to cover home. Ty Wigginton certainly notice, as he raced in to score the go-ahead run from second on an infield hit. Which is... something you don't see every day.

After the second out, Scott Atchison replaced Rice and promptly served up a Holliday homer, making it a 6-3 game. A Craig single and a Molina double chased him before he recorded an out, leaving Greg Burke to finish the inning, which he did without further damage. But Randy Choate, Trevor Rosenthal, and Edward Mujica combined on two routine innings of work to seal the victory for the Cardinals.

See, this is why baseball is awesome (chapter 18731). A seemingly ordinary game can end up having been decided by noted speedster Ty Wigginton scoring from second on an infield hit.
   24. Walt Davis Posted: May 14, 2013 at 06:00 PM (#4443053)
Moose Stubing went 0-for-5 in his brief MLB career with four strikeouts, then went 0-8 as a manager.

But he went on to a long career captaining a cruise liner.
   25. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 14, 2013 at 07:48 PM (#4443126)
Game of the day (1977): Twins 4, Blue Jays 3 (11). Dave Lemanczyk vs. Paul Thormodsgard, in a battle of starters who had relatively brief and undistinguished careers and had vast differences between the unusuality of their first and last names.

Both leadoff men singled in the first; Toronto's Bob Bailor stole second and was left there, while Minnesota's Lyman Bostock was removed when Roy Smalley grounded into a double play. Ron Fairly led off the second with a walk, but Doug Ault GDP'd. The Twins put together the first multi-runner rally in the bottom of the second as Butch "you attract more flies with honey than" Wynegar walked and was sacrificed to second, Larry Hisle reached on a fielder's choice with error (by Lemanczyk) that put runners on the corners, Mike Cubbage was intentionally walked to load the bases, and Dan Ford paid that move off by grounding into a double play.

Bailor and Bostock reached again in the third; once again, Bailor was left on and Bostock was not, this time because he was caught stealing. The game's first perfect inning was worked by Thormodsgard in the top of the fourth; there wouldn't be another one for a while. Wynegar was stranded after a walk, Ault led off the top of the fifth with a single and was bunted to second before ending the inning there, and Ford singled and was caught stealing in the bottom of the inning.

The scoring finally started in the sixth. Bailor led off the top of the inning with a double and scored an out later on Roy Howell's single. The Twins promptly responded with doubles from Bostock, Smalley, and Wynegar, scoring two runs to take the lead. Alan Ashby tripled with one out in the seventh, but the Jays left him there with the tying run.

Lemanczyk was pulled in favor of Mike Willis in the seventh; Dan Ford homered with one out, making it a 3-1 game. Tom Johnson replaced Thormodsgard to start the eighth, and the Jays got back-to-back one out triples from Al Woods and Howell, followed by a game-tying sac fly by Otto Velez. Willis stayed in for the bottom of the eighth, and worked Toronto's first perfect inning of the day; Johnson and Willis then both worked around singles in the ninth to force additional baseball. Johnson, Tom Burgmeier, and Ron Schueler combined on a scoreless tenth, and Willis did not allow a baserunner in the bottom of the inning. The eleventh was somewhat more eventful.

Schueler allowed two doubles in the top of the inning, but no runs; after Fairly's leadoff double, Dave McKay came in to pinch run and was promptly picked off of second before Ault's double. Ashby's groundout moved Ault to third, and Sam Ewing grounded out to leave him there. Smalley led off the bottom of the inning with a walk, Rod Carew singled him to second, and Wynegar bunted; Willis erred on the play, allowing everyone to reach safely. Willis was pulled for Jerry Johnson (which makes sense because he'd just loaded the bases with nobody out). Johnson flirted with escape by inducing a 1-2-3 double play from Craig Kusick... only to promptly end the game with a wild pitch that allowed Carew to score the winning run from third.

There was some good pitching in this one, and some extremely crazy scoring innings. And that is a very fun combination.
   26. Ned Garvin: Male Prostitute Posted: May 15, 2013 at 01:26 AM (#4443342)
Re: #3

I posted this a few days ago (even though I rarely post), but I remember watching that game on TV as a kid. I was staying at my grandparent's house, watching the game on TBS, and got them to agree that I could stay up past my bedtime to watch the end. I thought it would only be an extra few minutes, but I was up long after everyone else went to bed. They kept their word! And to this day Jose Oquendo is probably my favorite player ever, in part because whenever I watched the Cardinals he seemed to do something cool, though not usually quite this cool.
   27. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: May 15, 2013 at 01:39 AM (#4443344)
I have pretty good memories of that Oquendo game as well. We had just gotten cable about two months earlier and watching games other than the Brewers games on a weeknight was a treat. WWOR, WFLD, WGN and TBS, it was awesome.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.