Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 17, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-17-2019

New York Sun, May 17, 1919:

Herman (Germany) Schaefer, who succeeded Arlie Latham as the jester of the national game, died suddenly yesterday at Saranac Lake, after an illness of several months. Tuberculosis was the cause of his demise…
Schaefer’s comedy was clean and wholesome, albeit athletic. One of his performances was an imaginary tight rope walk, using the chalk line on the field as the rope. His narrow escapes from falling were provocative of merriment.

He also was in the habit of staging a wrestling match in which he threw himself after a desperate struggle.

Schaefer is remembered as a clown, but he was a pretty good player. He was mostly a second baseman but played every position except catcher, had a career OPS+ of 97, hit .334 as an everyday first baseman in 1911.

In terms of career WAR, he’s about halfway between Mickey Morandini and Junior Spivey. If you just take their best seven seasons, Schaefer was about like Scooter Gennett or Mike Lansing. Not bad.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: May 17, 2019 at 09:55 AM | 28 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: May 17, 2019 at 09:58 AM (#5843013)
Not a great Birthday Team today, but better than yesterday's collection of talent. Decent pitching and a great center fielder today.

C: Wiki Gonzalez (1.5 WAR)
1B: Carlos Pena (25.1 WAR)
2B: Lou Chiozza (0.3 WAR)
3B: Harry Riconda (-0.5 WAR)
SS: Leo Norris (-0.6 WAR)
LF: Carlos May (10.5 WAR)
CF: Cool Papa Bell (0 WAR)
RF: Jose Guillen (6.4 WAR)

SP: Hal Carlson (26.0 WAR)
SP: Billy Hoeft (20.6 WAR)
SP: Pascual Perez (18.9 WAR)
SP: Elmer Steele (4.4 WAR)
SP: Greg Mathews (3.4 WAR)
RP: Rube Vickers (3.0 WAR)

Owner: Del Webb
Fun name: Porfi Altamirano
Pro Football Hall of Famer: Ace Parker
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: May 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM (#5843018)
Carlos May lost his right thumb in an accident while he was serving in the Marine Reserves. I saw the damage up close once when he appeared at a Boy Scout thing when I was a wee tot.

He was hitting .281/.385/.488 for the 1969 White Sox - a 137 OPS+ - as a 21-year-old before the accident. He should have been a superstar. Without that thumb, it's a wonder he could hit at all.
   3. bobm Posted: May 17, 2019 at 10:28 AM (#5843036)
Carlos May

How many other MLB players ever wore their birthday on the back of their Jersey? "May 17"
   4. puck Posted: May 17, 2019 at 10:28 AM (#5843037)
Wow, I never knew that about May. He also has less WAR than I would have thought. Gets dinged a bit (~6 WAR) for fielding and baserunning.
   5. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:17 AM (#5843073)
Wow, I never knew that about May. He also has less WAR than I would have thought. Gets dinged a bit (~6 WAR) for fielding and baserunning.

You're probably thinking of Lee May.
   6. bobm Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM (#5843078)
You can lead A-Rod to water, but you can't make him blink...

NY Post: Alex Rodriguez’s viral toilet pic could land hedge fund in hot water

A-Rod apparently likes to linger on the lavatory at his Park Avenue apartment without closing the blinds, and the former Yankee slugger was caught with his pants down on the throne by a photographer who was privy to a clear view from the adjacent building.
   7. Hank Gillette Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:41 AM (#5843080)
Schaefer was probably most famous for being the man who “stole first”. He stole second in one game, hoping to draw a throw and allow a teammate on third to score. When the catcher did not throw to second, Schaefer ran back to first on a subsequent pitch. The opposing manager came out to argue, but the umpire said that Schaefer had the right to go back to first, there being no rule that made it illegal. During the argument, Schaefer broke for second, getting caught in a rundown. The runner on third tried to score during the rundown, but was thrown out at the plate.

A subsequent change in baseball rules prohibiting returning to a previous base. There is a nice biography of Shaefer at the SABR site, giving some other amusing stories about Schaefer.
   8. Hank Gillette Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:57 AM (#5843089)
How many other MLB players ever wore their birthday on the back of their Jersey? "May 17"

Carlos May seems to be the only one with that distinction. The other players named May were not born in May, none of several players named January were born in January, and Don August was born in July.

June Greene was born in June, but there is no indication that he ever wore a number, much less had his name stitched on a jersey.
   9. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:37 PM (#5843112)
You can lead A-Rod to water, but you can't make him blink...

NY Post: Alex Rodriguez’s viral toilet pic could land hedge fund in hot water
This story is horsesh*t.
   10. Nasty Nate Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:43 PM (#5843114)
Why is the series-opening game for the Blue Jays and Red Sox in Toronto on Monday scheduled for 1:00 pm? Is there a Canadian holiday?
   11. Kiko Sakata Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM (#5843116)
A subsequent change in baseball rules prohibiting returning to a previous base.

Are you sure? Because Jean Segura went from second to first in the bottom of the 8th inning of this game and was caught trying to re-steal second base.
   12. SoSH U at work Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM (#5843117)
Are you sure? Because Jean Segura went from second to first in the bottom of the 8th inning of this game and was caught trying to re-steal second base.

You can't return to a previous base if a) you are trying to make a mockery of the game or b) you were trying to confuse the defense. You can return under other circumstances (though I believe the decision to allow Segura to return was incorrect).

Edit:

Yes, the Segura play was called incorrectly (and no one would be allowed to do what Schaefer did any longer). You can return to a previous base, but not after the pitcher has taken the rubber.

“In accordance with the Comment to OBR 7.01, the runner from 2B was not entitled to return safely to any base preceding the base that he originally held when the play began. The Comment to OBR 7.01 states, ‘If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.

13. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: May 17, 2019 at 12:57 PM (#5843119)
Carlos May seems to be the only one with that distinction. The other players named May were not born in May, none of several players named January were born in January, and Don August was born in July.

And Rick Monday was born on a Tuesday.
   14. crict Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5843121)
Why is the series-opening game for the Blue Jays and Red Sox in Toronto on Monday scheduled for 1:00 pm? Is there a Canadian holiday?

Yes, we still have a national holiday for Queen Victoria's birthday.
   15. vortex of dissipation Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:01 PM (#5843123)

Victoria Day.
   16. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:04 PM (#5843124)
Dummy Hoy was born hoy.
   17. Itchy Row Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:07 PM (#5843125)
Juan Agosto and Jorge Julio were born in the wrong meses.
   18. Nasty Nate Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:12 PM (#5843129)
Thanks crict and vortex, I was going to guess it was a holiday for the last day of winter...
   19. Hysterical & Useless Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:15 PM (#5843131)
a holiday for the last day of winter...

That's in June.
   20. Hank Gillette Posted: May 17, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5843143)
During World War I, Germany said that he was changing his name to "Liberty" Schaefer.
   21. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: May 17, 2019 at 02:03 PM (#5843149)
In the background, a crisp white bathrobe can be seen hanging next to a glass-encased shower, along with a towel monogrammed with the letter A, naturally.

Too bad we can't see if any paintings are hung on the back of the bathroom door.
   22. The Mighty Quintana Posted: May 17, 2019 at 02:10 PM (#5843153)
Wow - Jose Guillen had 214 homers and 6.4 WAR, that's 33.4 homers per win. Among rightfielders with over 200 HRs, only Dante Bichette has a worse ratio.
   23. salvomania Posted: May 17, 2019 at 05:22 PM (#5843226)
LF: Carlos May (10.5 WAR)

Regarding Carlos May, I resurrect this anecdote each year when he appears on the birthday team: When I was a young punk in the early- to mid-80s, I worked at the enormous warehouse store of former retail and merchandising legend Polk Bros, in Melrose Park, IL. (They had a dozen or so stores, maybe more in their heyday, in the greater Chicago area, and were eventually done in by the emergence of the "big-box" retailers in the late '80s/early '90s as well a disastrous fire---still the first thing that pops up when you do an image search on Google for "Polk Bros").

Carlos May was the "security guy" at the front entrance, but he was just as much a greeter and ambassador---he wore a blazer and tie instead of a uniform, and was quick with a smile and happy to chat with anyone who recognized him.

The most lasting impression I have of him, though, is the way his enormous thighs seemed about to burst the seams of his pants.

CF: Cool Papa Bell (0 WAR)

Another connection to today's birthday team is to Cool Papa Bell, through St. Louis author and family friend Martin Quiqley, who wrote The Crooked Pitch and co-authored books by former players Joe Garagiola (Baseball is a Funny Game) and Kirby Higbe (The High Hard One). Knowing I was a baseball fan, when he was doing research for one his projects that put him in touch with Cool Papa Bell (another St. Louisan), he procured a personalized autograph for me, which I still have, somewhere (along with a "happy birthday" autograph I got from Lou Brock in the off-season of his record-breaking 1974 season, and a Tom Seaver I got when I showed up to an afternoon game as soon as the gates opened and happened upon Seaver chatting with an acquaintance at the edge of the stands in the nearly empty stadium. He signed his name diagonally completely across the score grid on the Cardinals' side of my scorecard, forcing me to creatively notate several of the innings.)
   24. Itchy Row Posted: May 17, 2019 at 05:44 PM (#5843232)
Jose Guillen has the third-lowest WAR for anyone with 200+ HR, behind (or ahead of, I guess) Dante Bichette and Deron Johnson. Mark Reynolds is #5, with 298 HR and 8.4 WAR. Two more HR by Reynolds will take away Ryan Howard's spot for the lowest WAR in the 300-HR club. Howard is at 15.0 WAR.
   25. AndrewJ Posted: May 17, 2019 at 09:19 PM (#5843270)
And 40 years ago today, Mike Schmidt's 10th inning blast off Bruce Sutter was all the difference in a non-descript one-run Phillies win.
   26. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:29 PM (#5843335)
Polk Bros

Polk Brothers. Geeze, I haven't heard that name in like forever. Right up there with Goldblatt's and Zayres.
   27. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: May 18, 2019 at 08:13 AM (#5843346)
Jays are calling up Ryan Feierabend for a spot start. This is notable as the itinerant 33 year old lefty is now a knuckleball pitcher.
   28. Tom Nawrocki Posted: May 18, 2019 at 09:11 AM (#5843352)
And 40 years ago today, Mike Schmidt's 10th inning blast off Bruce Sutter was all the difference in a non-descript one-run Phillies win.

There's a new book out about that game if anyone is interested, called "Ten Innings at Wrigley." My favorite thing about that game is that a relief pitcher hit a triple in the first inning.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.