Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-20-2014

Milwaukee Journal, May 20, 1914:

Hughie Jennings, leader of the Tigers, has placed a check on his own powers. Oscar Stanage has been drafted to act as a balance in the government of the Detroit team.

Jennings has placed complete control of the pitchers and catchers in the hands of the veteran receiver. No battery man will be sent into a game or taken out except by the order of Stanage.

In explaining the reason for the move Jennings said that in spite of his many years of baseball leadership he himself had never been able to control his temper absolutely and that he was often overhasty in removing pitchers.

“Oscar Stanage,” he continued, “has a percentage of .999 in good humor, and that’s why I selected him.”

So, uh, what exactly is it you’ll be doing to manage the team during the game, Hughie?

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 20, 2014 at 08:06 AM | 20 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, hughie jennings, oscar stanage

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 20, 2014 at 08:08 AM (#4709982)
Nice pitching staff on today's Birthday Team, a bunch of really useful position players, and a second baseman with whom every play will be an adventure.

C: Ramon Hernandez
1B: Joe Harris
2B: George Grantham
3B/Manager: Ken Boyer
SS: Wilson Valdez
LF: Jayson Werth
CF: Bobby Murcer
RF: Austin Kearns

SP: Hal Newhouser
SP: David Wells
SP: Todd Stottlemyre
SP: Tom Morgan
SP: Pete Appleton
RP: Wilcy Moore

Fun Names: Fritz Von Kolnitz, Claral Gillenwater
   2. AndrewJ Posted: May 20, 2014 at 08:58 AM (#4710008)
In the 1980s Bill James did a study where he concluded that the only two players with 1000+ career games who were above league average in every offensive category were Willie Mays and George Grantham.
   3. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: May 20, 2014 at 09:24 AM (#4710018)
   4. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:07 AM (#4710053)
Because of Nick Swisher's struggles and Giambi's injury, the Indians have been starting a guy named "Jesus Aguilar" at first base. Last night he was batting eighth, which seems like a calculated insult, because the guy is absolutely huge and if he's hitting eighth, what's he doing there?

This prospect site agrees with me that his listed 6'3", 250 is an understatement.
   5. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4710058)
Aguilar was a perennial Rule 5 candidate, but never considered a likely pick due to his lack of versatility and distance from the bigs. Has some pop and hitting ability, but I don't consider him much of a prospect, his decent (if you're into RBIs) '13 with Akron notwithstanding.
   6. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM (#4710060)
Aguilar is another guy I recognize just because he's WAY better in OOTP simulations than he has any chance to be in real life. (I'm gonna assume he put up incredible OBP numbers in the minors--their system loves guys like that.)
   7. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM (#4710063)
Aguilar has been well thought-of inside the organization as a prospect and was mashing in Columbus (.298/.395/.519) for the first six weeks of this season.

That said, I think a combination of factors led to his promotion: All the injuries in the outfield (Bourn twice, Nyjer Morgan once) leading to a desire to have Swisher available to play corner OF, Francona wanting to give Santana some days off because Carlos has been horrendous, and not having any other MLB-ready bats in Columbus.

Bryan LaHair is, in theory, MLB-ready, but he got demoted to Akron after a .114/.139/.171 start to the season. David Cooper is a decent option on paper, but he's slugging .286. And Matt Carson is...Matt Carson. He's 32-year-old organizational depth. You could do worse, but if a kid's playing well, there's no reason to keep him behind Carson.
   8. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4710064)
6: Nope. Not that patient (walk every 10 PA over his minor league career).
   9. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM (#4710078)
Bryan LaHair is, in theory, MLB-ready

You mean 2012 National League All-Star Bryan LaHair? I should hope he is!
   10. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM (#4710080)
LaHair's on pace to be a 2014 Eastern League All-Star.

His April in AAA ball this season was, to pilfer a phrase from Will Young, the Hindenburg crashing into the Titanic.
   11. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: May 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4710103)
the Indians have been starting a guy named "Jesus Aguilar" at first base. Last night he was batting eighth, which seems like a calculated insult, because the guy is absolutely huge and if he's hitting eighth, what's he doing there?

This prospect site agrees with me that his listed 6'3", 250 is an understatement.

Meh. He's not even close to being a particularly large Jesus.
   12. kthejoker Posted: May 20, 2014 at 02:18 PM (#4710227)
From an email:

Here’s the lowdown about the game. In nearly every way, Sports Jeopardy! will mirror the game play of the show we all know and love. Two rounds of play will culminate in a Final Sports Jeopardy! clue. One Daily Double in the first round, two in the second, and contestants must always phrase their responses in the form of a question. Original run is slated to premiere in October and will consist of 52 weekly shows.

There will be 50 regular, “stand alone” shows, in which there is no returning champion.
Contestants on Sports Jeopardy! will be playing for points. Winners will receive $5,000, 2nd place $2,000 and 3rd gets $1,000.
The season will conclude with a two-episode championship match featuring the 3 contestants with the season’s highest point totals. The winner will take home a cash prize of $50,000.
If you are interested in being a contestant you must sign up at www.sportsjeopardy.com where you’ll also find detailed information about the audition process, production schedule, and some samples clues to give you an idea of what the test and the show will be like.

Invitations will start going out next week, so be sure to sign up right away.
   13. Danny Posted: May 20, 2014 at 02:41 PM (#4710243)
In the 1980s Bill James did a study where he concluded that the only two players with 1000+ career games who were above league average in every offensive category were Willie Mays and George Grantham.

What was Ty Cobb below average in?
   14. BDC Posted: May 20, 2014 at 02:47 PM (#4710249)
Funny, I was just thinking about George Grantham the other day in the "Who ever heard of Arky Vaughan?" thread. Obviously not the defender Vaughan was, but a very respectable precursor: LHB, .300+ hitter, drew more than his share of walks, respectable power, one of the better NL base-stealers of the 1920s. They just missed being teammates in Pittsburgh, though they played against each other late in Grantham's career.

Ignorance is always a matter of horizons. I know the standard things about Arky Vaughan, and George Grantham is one of my cult favorites, but there's probably a quite-decent pre-expansion Pittsburgh middle infielder on the books that I haven't a clue about.
   15. just plain joe Posted: May 20, 2014 at 03:11 PM (#4710270)
Ignorance is always a matter of horizons. I know the standard things about Arky Vaughan, and George Grantham is one of my cult favorites, but there's probably a quite-decent pre-expansion Pittsburgh middle infielder on the books that I haven't a clue about.

Don't know who you know about or don't but Glenn Wright was a pretty decent shortstop for the Pirates from 1924-28, which makes him a teammate of Grantham, at least some of the years.
   16. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 20, 2014 at 03:30 PM (#4710286)
Pirates brought Wright to the majors in 1924, Cronin in 1926, Dick Bartell in 1928, and Vaughan in 1932.
   17. BDC Posted: May 20, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4710317)
I know Bartell better than Wright because I read his book (told to Norman Macht), Rowdy Richard. Both were guys who held their own with the bat, but had more of their overall value in their defense. One thing I love about B-Ref is that it shows old-time players' trajectories out of and then back into the minors. Bartell and Vaughan played more briefly in the minors, but Wright and Grantham's pro careers consisted of substantial minor-league time before and after the majors.
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 20, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4710336)
The Game of May 19, 1984 began with two pitchers on the mound who would have been absolute opposites if not for the fact that they were both lefties. The decisive homer was hit by a player who entered the game slugging .169 on the year, but who would go on to develop a taste for important home runs in late-inning situations.
   19. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 20, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4710386)
The Game of May 19, 2014 was the one you'd expect - the 15-inning game in which the teams put the winning run in scoring position 6 times before finally bringing it home. The hero of the day scored two runs in the most wildly divergent ways imaginable - one on a crazy little league style baserunning play, and one on a go-ahead homer.
   20. bobm Posted: May 20, 2014 at 07:20 PM (#4710389)
The George Grantham all-stars

DECEMBER 8, 2008 BY CHRIS JAFFE

“One time, twenty years ago, I did a data base search to see if there was any player in baseball history who:

“1. Played in 1,200 or more games,

“2. Played a key defensive position, and

“3. Was above average in every basic offensive category. . . .

” . . . I discovered that there were two such players — Willie Mays and George Grantham. I just love this kind of crap, so I mentioned that several times in books over the years.”

Bill James, The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, page 522.

hardballtimes.com/the-george-grantham-all-stars/

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Kiko Sakata
for his generous support.