Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 24, 2019

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-24-2019

Pittsburgh Gazette Times, May 24, 1919:

Because of the danger of an injury to his hands, Jack Dempsey, who is to meet Jess Willard in a heavyweight championship battle [in Toledo] July 4, probably will drop baseball from his training program.

The challenger engaged in a game [yesterday], and Tex Rickard, promoter of the contest, wore a worried look every time Dempsey raced to pick up a bounder or stabbed the air in fielding fly balls. Rickard fears Dempsey might break a finger if struck with a swiftly batted ball.

Dempsey already has stored his motor car until after the match and is avoiding all other risks of an injury.

Yeah, I imagine if you’re trying to avoid injuries to your hands, it’s a good idea to avoid fielding hard-hit grounders with a glove from 1919.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: May 24, 2019 at 11:00 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: May 24, 2019 at 11:01 AM (#5845323)
Today's Birthday Team has a solid pitching staff, which is good because it has no offense to speak of.

C: Ellie Rodriguez (13.4 WAR)
1B/Manager: Sam Barkley (8.5 WAR)
2B: Carlos Febles (3.5 WAR)
3B: Kevin Frandsen (-0.5 WAR)
SS: Willy Miranda (-0.4 WAR)
LF: Andrew Toles (2.0 WAR)
CF: Gus Felix (1.7 WAR)
RF: Rob Ducey (3.2 WAR)

SP: Bartolo Colon (46.1 WAR)
SP: Brad Penny (19.0 WAR)
SP: Jack Pfiester (8.4 WAR)
SP: Joe Kennedy (7.4 WAR)
SP: Jae Weong Seo (6.1 WAR)
RP/General Manager: Jerry Dipoto (6.1 WAR)

-4.1 career WAR in 97 games: Jim Duckworth (-4.1 WAR)
Backup catcher, warmed pitchers up while sitting in a chair: Fred Jacklitsch (6.8 WAR)
Fun names: Damien Magnifico, Odie Porter, Mule Shirley, Hi Jasper
Not that one: John Fogarty (-0.1 WAR)
Thrower of 26-inning complete games, or at least one of them: Joe Oeschger (4.5 WAR)
   2. caspian88 Posted: May 24, 2019 at 11:24 AM (#5845343)
Someone needs to sign Colon so he can Early Wynn his way to 250 wins.
   3. villageidiom Posted: May 24, 2019 at 01:20 PM (#5845416)
Per BB-ref in this century there have been 4 "regular" position players who got a pitching decision in a game that didn't go extra innings. However, BB-ref warns us that players like Babe Ruth or (more relevant to this century) Rick Ankiel will be considered a "regular" position player in their play index. And thus the four names were all players who spent a significant amount of time as position players in their careers, but at the time they were asked to pitch were considered to be capable pitchers and not filler.

Rick Ankiel was one. Brooks Kieschnick was another. Shoehi Ohtani is a third.

The fourth is Jason Lane. I had no idea about him.
   4. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: May 24, 2019 at 01:43 PM (#5845421)
However, BB-ref warns us that players like Babe Ruth or (more relevant to this century) Rick Ankiel will be considered a "regular" position player in their play index.

Babe Ruth was a position player when he got his last 2 wins. That 1930 outing always amazed me. Ruth is 35, hasn't pitched in 9 years, and goes out and throws a CG victory. Then in 1933, he does it again.
   5. Don August(us) Cesar Geronimo Berroa Posted: May 24, 2019 at 01:57 PM (#5845426)
Babe Ruth was a position player when he got his last 2 wins. That 1930 outing always amazed me. Ruth is 35, hasn't pitched in 9 years, and goes out and throws a CG victory.

That's when men were men, though. Also, both the 1930 and 1933 games were the last game of seasons where the Yankees didn't make the World Series, so, plenty of time to rest the arm afterward. I suppose he pitched those games to try and boost attendance?

edit: Both games against the Red Sox also. That 1930 game... I have never heard of anyone who was in the Boston lineup that day. Those 1933 Red Sox featured a couple of guys that would be instrumental in the Reds 1939 and 1940 NL Champs. Billy Werber and Bucky Walters.
   6. caspian88 Posted: May 24, 2019 at 02:25 PM (#5845439)
In an interesting reversal of position players pitching, Bucky Walters played third base in Ruth's last pitching appearance.
   7. The Run Fairy Posted: May 24, 2019 at 02:28 PM (#5845442)
SP: Jack Pfiester (8.4 WAR)

I only know Pfiester as a good pitcher for the Tinker/Evers/Chance Cubs, so I was surprised to see that his career WAR is so low. Went to his bb-ref page, and wow: in 1907 he threw 195 innings with an ERA of 1.15, good for a lead-leaguing ERA+ of 216... and 1.3 bWAR/-0.2 bWAA. He's also fourth-best on their career ERA leaderboard, although his career batting line of .103/.154/.117(!) is slightly less impressive.

From his SABR bio:

Pfiester put together another solid season in 1908, going 12-10 with a 2.00 ERA while developing his "Giant Killer" reputation. He is best remembered as the Cubs pitcher in the famous "Merkle Game" on September 23, avoiding a 2-1 loss only because Fred Merkle failed to touch second base, but what few people realize is the extent of the pain with which he was pitching. Teammate Johnny Evers wrote that "a lump had formed on his forearm, the muscle bunching. He could not bend his arm, and to pitch a curve brought agony." According to Evers, Pfiester threw only three curveballs the entire game, all to Mike Donlin in clutch situations, and had to be helped to the bench after each curve. Immediately after the game, Jack traveled to Youngstown, Ohio, to be treated by Bonesetter Reese. "Reese felt around, located the dislocated tendon, and snapped it back in place with his powerful fingers," wrote sportswriter Charles Dryden. "The entire diagnosis and cure occupied less than 10 minutes. Think of it, constant readers, Mr. Pfiester pitched nine full innings with a dislocated arm and held the Giants to five hits! Had Jack's neck been broken he would have shut them out."
   8. Itchy Row Posted: May 24, 2019 at 03:00 PM (#5845449)
That 1930 game... I have never heard of anyone who was in the Boston lineup that day.
I've heard of Hod Lisenbee, but I don't know if that's because he had an interesting career or just because his name is Hod Lisenbee.

According to his SABR bio, he'd never touched a baseball until he went to high school, and he didn't start high school until he was 21. He was in the minor leagues at 25 and then had a good rookie year at 28 in 1927. He stayed in the big leagues until 1932, and then, except for a couple of months with the A's in 1936 and a couple of years on his farm during WWII, he stayed in the minors until he pitched for the Reds in 1945 at age 46. Apparently he was the last player born in the 1800's to appear in a big league game. Then he went back to the minors until he was 50.
   9. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: May 24, 2019 at 03:08 PM (#5845452)
That 1930 game... I have never heard of anyone who was in the Boston lineup that day

I've heard of Jack Rothrock, for the life of me I don't remember why
   10. vortex of dissipation Posted: May 24, 2019 at 05:01 PM (#5845487)
I've heard of Jack Rothrock, for the life of me I don't remember why

He was the regular right fielder (in fact he played all 154 games), on one of the most famous teams of the era, the 1934 World Series winning Gashouse Gang St. Louis Cardinals.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Don Malcolm
for his generous support.