Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-28-2013

Pittsburgh Press, May 28, 1913:

An odd incident in the eighth inning of the Newark-Baltimore fray on Monday gave Mickey Corcoran a homer.

...Corcoran slashed a long hit to right center. Meyers [sic] in the outfield for Newark did not make an effore to go after the pellet, but instead started to run for the clubhouse, apparently thinking that it was the ninth inning. Gagnier ran after the ball from shortstop, but Corcoran easily made the circuit.

That’s so much more embarrassing than forgetting how many outs there are.

Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 05:43 AM | 26 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, ed gagnier, hi myers, history, mickey corcoran

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 06:10 AM (#4453404)
Not much in the way of starting pitching, but that's one helluva bullpen. Also, Jhonny Peralta has played in more All-Star Games than Kirk Gibson did.

C: Willard Hershberger
1B: Pearce "What's The Use" Chiles
2B: Bill Doran
3B: Jhonny Peralta
SS: Rafael Landestoy
LF: Kirk Gibson
CF: 1960s Bobby Smith
RF: Bill Barrett

SP: Bob Kuzava
SP: Randy Martz
SP: Daniel Cabrera
SP: Jim Middleton
SP: Steve Nagy
RP: Duane Ward
RP: Craig Kimbrel

League President: Warren Giles
Awful: Steve Jeltz
Eats Bugs: Mike Maksudian
Halfback: Jim Thorpe

I think I've linked to this before, but the saga of Pearce Chiles is an amazing story that's well worth your time.
   2. Ok, Griffey's Dunn (Nothing Iffey About Griffey) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 07:46 AM (#4453413)
Yesterday, in Louisville:

Tied going into the 9th. The Columbus Clippers score 3 in the top of the 9th. The Bats come back and score 3 in the bottom of the 9th. The Clippers score 3 in the 10th. The Bats come up with 3 in the bottom of the 10th. Finally, in the 12th, the Clippers score 2 more and the final Bats pitcher of the night, brought in to control the damage, was:

CORKY MILLER!

Yes, the 300 year old catcher! And, he went 2/3 of an inning and allowed only 1 hit. That's some fun baseball, even though the Bats didn't have another comeback in hem.
   3. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: May 28, 2013 at 07:59 AM (#4453414)
As noted up at THT: 40 years ago today, Wilbur Wood became a legend. It's as close as we'll ever see a pitcher throw 2 CG in one day. His line on the day: 2-0, 2 G, 1 GS, 1 CG, 14 IP, 0 ER, 1 R. Not bad.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:20 AM (#4453420)
Dan, all the baseball cards that I had called your CF Bobby Gene Smith. I see the BB Ref has Bobby Smith as the name -- I'll pass my observation to Overlord Sean.
   5. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:22 AM (#4453422)
I was in a rotisserie league that valued OBP back in 1990, and I had a brilliant idea. I'd hold off on a backup middle infielder until the very end of the auction, then grab Steve Jeltz for a buck. He'd just put up a Randy Readyesque 45 walks in a season where he only got 263 AB.

I was a genius. Sure, Jeltz wasn't going to hit for power or steal bases, but I had picked up an OBP machine for a dollar.

And then he hit .155/.200/.194 in 74 games.

I'd love to know WTF happened to Jeltz in 1989. He went from being utterly abysmal to pretty good, then just as quickly the next year became worse than he'd ever been. It's not like you can 'roid your way to a zillion walks and a .338 SLG.
   6. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:23 AM (#4453424)
Thanks, Edmundo. I'm familiar with Bobby Gene Smith, but had no idea who Bobby Smith was.

Actually, to me, Bobby Smith is the former Devil Rays 2B/3B, but he's listed as Bob Smith. Which seems weird too.
   7. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:37 AM (#4453431)
through yesterday jean segura is batting .347/.384/.558

his strikeout to walk is 28/10 which ain't great but not awful

stole 14 bases. caught twice

defense average to a tick above

doug Melvin couldn't put a pitching staff together to save his life. but he got this kid in a brewer uniform and that is something.
   8. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:41 AM (#4453432)
oh and typically rookies do better at home

segura on the road: .402/.437/.622
   9. The District Attorney Posted: May 28, 2013 at 08:53 AM (#4453440)
Did Jeltz move from hitting 8th to not hitting 8th?

I was confident Corky Miller would make it, and am sad he didn't. Among other things, he was a HBP fiend. That said, I'm flabbergasted he's still playing. How about Tim Spooneybarger, what's he up to??
   10. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 09:11 AM (#4453450)
Jeltz went from hitting 8th to being in the American League.

I looked at his IBB line, and while I can't fathom ever wanting to intentionally walk Steve Jeltz, he got IBB'd six times in '89. Still, 87% of his 1989 walks were of the unintentional variety, so that's only a small part of whatever happened to him.
   11. BDC Posted: May 28, 2013 at 09:40 AM (#4453469)
Steve Jeltz, another of those guys you'd think was a fair-haired Polish kid till you saw his baseball card. I dunno, he was never very good, really. He couldn't hit at all (.235 lifetime in AAA, .210 in the majors), and I even suspect (having watched him quite a bit in Philly) that he was not even good enough with the glove to merit being a utility man. The Phillies of his era had deteriorated in how they evaluated talent since their 1970s heyday. They thought Glenn Wilson was going to be the next Johnny Callison, and they thought Rick Schu was the next Mike Schmidt. So they figured Jeltz = Bowa, but they were incorrect.
   12. Hack Wilson Posted: May 28, 2013 at 09:58 AM (#4453484)
Steve Jeltz is black and was born in France. I don't believe another black French kid has made the majors since, and there have many articles here on decreasing black participation in baseball. Selig has to spend a billion dollars on French youth baseball to wean the French black kids away from basketball. As a million Frenchies said when Jeltz batted, "merde." With Bud's needed investment, the sound of "merde" will echo again.
   13. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 28, 2013 at 02:19 PM (#4453812)
Steve Jeltz will always have this game in his scrapbook.

-- MWE
   14. BDC Posted: May 28, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4453817)
Rangers have today off; they are in the middle of a 4-game home-and-home series against Arizona, but the two games there were played as a split doubleheader yesterday (and Arizona swept them).

Rangers radio announcer Eric Nadel said an odd thing at the start of the DH: he allowed as how Ron Washington had asked Mitch Moreland which of the two games he wanted to play, and Moreland chose the first game, because he wanted to get some work in against a LHP. Am I wrong in thinking that that's a bit of the inmates running the asylum? First I hear that starting pitchers get to pick their doubleheader assignment, and now it's journeymen first basemen, even if they choose against the platoon advantage (and Moreland went 0-for-5). I understand involving your employees in management decisions, but this may be going a little too far.
   15. just plain joe Posted: May 28, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4453822)
Better keep today's starting catcher away from sharp objects.
   16. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 02:42 PM (#4453839)
Mitch Moreland was the starting first basement for two pennant winning teams, is just outside the top ten in home runs and is still under 30 and playing for the only team he has ever known. He's hardly a journeyman.

I don't really see what's wrong with a manager letting players run things a little bit. It takes all sorts of management styles, and giving players some "buy-in" and decision-making ability can help cohesion.
   17. BDC Posted: May 28, 2013 at 02:51 PM (#4453851)
Sorry, I was using the old sense of "journeyman": a completely ordinary ballplayer. And Moreland's had a pronounced platoon split in the majors, which is if anything even more pronounced this year (though he just had a hot month) than before. I gotta think, if I'm the manager, he plays against the pitcher I select.
   18. Jerry Lumpe Rutherford (Dan Lee) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM (#4453910)
Going forward, who's the better player: Jordan Zimmermann or Troy Tulowitzki?

Looks like I may get one of them in my career normalized all-time Strat League. Both are super-low usage now because their careers are relatively short, but as they play additional seasons, I'll get additional AB/IP.

Thoughts? I know Zim has had some shoulder ouchies and Tulo had the knee thing last year. I've already got one of the best shortstops in the league (Willie Wells), so Tulo doesn't fill a need, but he's just so good I'd hate to leave him on the board.
   19. The District Attorney Posted: May 28, 2013 at 03:57 PM (#4453918)
Still, 87% of his 1989 walks were of the unintentional variety, so that's only a small part of whatever happened to him.
You get a lot of intentional unintentional walks batting 8th, though.
   20. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 28, 2013 at 04:06 PM (#4453924)
Always take the hitter over the pitcher.
   21. Tom Nawrocki Posted: May 28, 2013 at 04:22 PM (#4453947)

Thoughts? I know Zim has had some shoulder ouchies and Tulo had the knee thing last year.

Tulo didn't have a knee thing; he pulled a groin muscle that developed some scar tissue, which eventually required surgery to clean up. It appears to be fully healed now.

Weiss has been resting Tulowitzki a lot this year, but he's still on track to play about 140-145 games, and you can't argue with the results.
   22. Nasty Nate Posted: May 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM (#4453955)
Always take the hitter over the pitcher.

Fantasy experts always give this advice, and I always find it useless even when the implied caveat is included (always take the hitter over the pitcher when they are close in value).
   23. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 28, 2013 at 05:32 PM (#4454028)
stole 14 bases. caught twice

Is this accounting for his -1 stolen base?
   24. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 28, 2013 at 06:07 PM (#4454053)
Game of the day (yesterday): Astros 3, Rockies 2 (12). Colorado opened the scoring in the first when Eric Young Jr. and Carlos Gonzalez both doubled, and Jhoulys Chacin backed up that performance by starting the game with three perfect innings. Bud Norris also allowed a Charlie Blackmon single and steal in the second, and the Rockies had a chance to break the game wide open in the top of the third; Young walked, and Dexter Fowler and Gonzalez both singled to load the bases with nobody out. But Troy Tulowitzki lined out, Willin Rosario hit into a force at home, and Jordan Pacheco flied out to strand all three runners.

The Rockies did bring a run home in the fourth on a Nolan Arenado double and a pair of bunts. But in the bottom of the fourth, Jose Altuve singled and stole second, Jason Castro walked, Altuve stole third (and Castro took second on Rosario's throwing error), and Carlos Pena doubled; both runners scored, and the game was suddenly tied.

Colorado continued to work Norris. In the fifth, Fowler walked, took third on Tulowitzki's one-out single, and saw Tulo move to second on a wild pitch, but both runners were left in scoring position. In the seventh, Young led off with a single and Fowler walked, but the team's 3-4-5 hitters went down behind them. Houston had a shot in the fifth when Jimmy Paredes reached on an error, moved to second on a groundout and made third on an errant pickoff throw before being stranded; they also encountered a fleeting ghost of a chance in the sixth when Altuve led off with a double and was thrown out trying to stretch it to third.

Norris was removed to start the eighth, but the Rockies put runners on anyway, as Arenado and Blackmon both reached on one-out singles against Hector Ambriz. A wild pitch would move them to second and third, but Young's strikeout failed to move them past that point. Chacin yielded an automatic double to Marwin Gonzalez to start the eighth, then was replaced by Rex Brothers; Brothers issued two walks and a passed ball, but a double play from Altuve helped him escape the inning with the tie intact. Jose Veras and Matt Belisle both worked perfect ninths, providing Houston fans with the debatably generous opportunity to watch their team play even more.

Rosario greeted Travis Blackley with a single in the tenth, and advanced to third on a pair of outs before being stranded. Adam Ottavino was spotless in the bottom of the inning, while Blackley allowed only a two-out single in the top of the eleventh. In the bottom of the eleventh, Castro singled with one out, Pena walked with two away, and Brandon Barnes entered to run for Castro; Trevor Crowe then singled, but it was an infield single on which even the pinch runner couldn't score, and Paredes flied out to end the inning.

Paul Clemens came on for the twelfth and retired the side after Rosario singled. Wilton Lopez replaced Ottavino in the bottom of the inning and gave up a hit to Matt Dominguez, a Marwin Gonzalez sac bunt, then struck out Robbie Grossman and intentionally walked Altuve. This brought Barnes to the plate, and the man who'd been inserted as a pinch runner doubled, scoring pinch runner Ronny Cedeno with the winning run.

Losing a historic number of games is a tricky feat to pull off. The Astros don't have an utterly dreadful offense; thanks to half-decent power (11th in the AL in homers, 6th in doubles), they do actually score from time to time. So they're highly reliant on their atrocious pitching staff to generate losses. And while their rotation is full of proven performers in this regard, they do have one credible major league starter who insists on going out and giving them half a chance every fifth day - even if, as in this game, he has to strand 7 runners in scoring position over 7 innings to do it.

So if Houston really wants to get serious about chasing the '62 Mets, their best bet is to trade Bud Norris.
   25. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: May 28, 2013 at 06:33 PM (#4454070)
An odd incident in the eighth inning of the Newark-Baltimore fray on Monday gave Mickey Corcoran a homer.

As God is my witness, I read this as "...gave Mickey Corcoran a boner."

I'm gonna go lie down.
   26. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 28, 2013 at 07:26 PM (#4454106)
Game of the day (1977): Brewers 6, Rangers 5. Pretty nice pitching matchup in this one, Doyle Alexander and Jim Slaton.

If there was any hype for the pitcher's duel, it was not lived up to. Slaton was perfect through three innings, but Milwaukee got to Alexander right away, as Robin Yount singled, stole second, and scored on Sal Bando's hit. Alexander allowed a single and a walk in the second, but Jim Wohlford was caught stealing, dousing the preliminary sparks of the rally.

Slaton's bid for perfection ended when he walked Dave May with two outs in the fourth. The Brewers then put together a somewhat more substantial rally in the bottom of the inning. Von Joshua led off with a double, Bob Sheldon walked, Wohlford loaded the bases with a bunt hit, and Charlie Moore singled in two runs to chase Alexander from his fourth-shortest start of the year (yes, he threw 237 innings in 34 starts even though four of them were 3 innings or less). Steve Hargan came in, Yount laid down a bunt, and Hargan made an error on the play that reloaded the bases. At this point, the Brewers had roughly a 93% chance to win the game.

Hargan got Don Money to hit into a force at home, then coaxed a 6-4-3 DP from Sixto Lezcano to end the inning. Still, Slaton was bringing a three-run lead and a no-hitter into the top of the fifth. Tom Grieve broke that up with a one-out single, Bump Wills walked, Jim Sundberg singled to score one run, and Juan Beniquez hit into a force at second to score another. Mike Hargrove was hit by a pitch, and Bert Campaneris followed with a game-tying RBI single that chased Slaton in favor of Rich Folkers. At that point, Milwaukee's win expectancy had dropped by 42%, down to just above 50-50; Folkers retired May to end the inning, but Hargan worked around Joshua's double in the bottom of the fifth to keep the score at 3-3.

In the top of the sixth, Willie Horton doubled, and Toby Harrah singled him home, and that was all, Folkers. Sam Hinds came on and allowed a walk but nothing else to mitigate the damage, and the Brewers came right back in the bottom of the inning. Hargan yielded a Wohlford double and a Moore single to tie the game. Adrian Devine replaced him on the mound, and Yount and Money moved Moore to third with productive outs before Lezcano doubled him in with the go-ahead run.

Hinds shut the Rangers down in the seventh, and Paul Lindblad did the same to the Brewers. Texas made a bit more noise in the eighth when Harrah drew a one-out walk, stole second, and took third on a wild pitch, but Hinds struck out the side to keep him from scoring. A leadoff walk by Beniquez in the top of the ninth ended Hinds's day; Bob McClure came on and allowed a Hargrove single that put runners at the corners. Campaneris then reached on a Yount error which loaded the bases (Beniquez didn't venture away from third on the play). Bill Castro replaced McClure, and Jim Fregosi hit for May and managed a sac fly that tied the game. Castro then struck out Horton and retired Harrah to give the Brewers a shut to win it in the bottom of the inning.

And win it they did. Lindblad allowed one-out singles to Bando and Cecil Cooper, and Steve Brye finished the rally with the second pinch-hit sac fly of the inning.

This is a good game. I find it interesting that Slaton was removed in the middle innings of what had been a no-hitter an inning ago, and during an inning that went badly but not disastrously. I also find it interesting that at the end of this game, the Rangers were 20-18, and the Brewers were 23-23; that means Milwaukee had played 8 more games than Texas at this point. (The Padres and Mariners actually had 47 games, while the Rangers and Indians were tied for the fewest.) For comparison's sake, the split between most and fewest games as of today in 2013 is 4, 52-48.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.