Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-30-2013

Milwaukee Journal, May 30, 1913:

CHICAGO, May 30.—Baseball, with its incentive for exercise, will prevent the youth of America from becoming effeminate if war is abolished, declared Elmer E. Rogers, in a Memorial day address at Senn High school, when he pleaded for universal peace and urged general disarmament.

“Baseball, our national pastime, will afford the exercise and skill to counteract any loss of virility both in players and fans,” said Rogers. “I would observe that in any country where baseball is enjoyed you generally will find a virile, progressive, successful nation.”

Surprisingly, Rogers doesn’t appear to have discussed how baseball affects our precious bodily fluids.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 30, 2013 at 06:09 AM | 19 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 30, 2013 at 06:19 AM (#4455453)
Also in the Milwaukee Journal 100 years ago today:
Center Fielder Ed Rousch [sic] of the Evansville Central league team has been sold to the Chicago Americans for $3,000...Rousch is leading the Central in batting with over .400
Roush went 1-for-10 as a White Sock before jumping to the Federal League in 1914.
   2. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 30, 2013 at 06:21 AM (#4455454)
An excellent outfield on today's Birthday Team, not to mention a pretty solid ace starter.

C: Mike Sadek
1B: Charlie Frank
2B: John Misse
3B: Rube Oldring
SS: Wally Kimmick
LF: Reggie Willits
CF: Mike Donlin
RF: Manny Ramirez

SP: Amos Rusie
SP: Al Mamaux
SP: Mike LaCoss
SP: Ed Rakow
SP: Mike Oquist
RP: Turk Lown
RP: Scott Eyre

Manager: John Felske
Umpire: Dana DeMuth

Osprey Hunter: Jae Kuk Ryu
He should give it back: Jim Steels
Baseball player or adult film star?: Twink Twining, Dixie Upright, Tony Von Fricken
   3. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:23 AM (#4455484)
As noted in THT, 100 years ago today Harry Hooper homered to lead off both ends of a doubleheader. No one did that again for 80 years.

Also, tonight tonight Kyle Lohse will try to make history. He'll try to become the 13th pitcher ever to defeat all 30 clubs.

TRIVIA QUESTION: The 12 current members are listed in the second link. Can you name them before clicking on the link?
   4. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:33 AM (#4455488)
The 12 current members are listed in the second link. Can you name them before clicking on the link?

Sure. I can name them all "Bob".

The only ones I got were Randy Johnson and Jamie Moyer, which was really just a wild guess. (Fun fact: Moyer has not only beaten the current 30 teams but also the St. Louis Browns, Brooklyn Dodgers and the Cincinnati Red Stockings.)
   5. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:43 AM (#4455495)
the brewers are 19-32. the team has lost 21 out of its last 26 games.

for a while Milwaukee's offense was doing well. not any more. the brewers are 11th in the nl in runs scored

the brewers lead the nl in runs allowed.

the defense is tied for last in the league in double plays turned.

brewer pitchers are poor in strikeouts and led the league in hits allowed.

there have been articles pointing the finger at the pitching staff. dave Cameron says its the stars and scrubs approach gone afoul.

whatever explanation folks want to believe the short version is that results like this get people fired. this community can talk about sample size all it wants but when a team gets creamed, not just loses but is getting rolled, night after night someone is going to get fired.

ron roenicke is a solid guy. he has his positives. but he supported bringing yuni on board and kept playing the guy failing to recognize that when the hot streak ended the player needed to hit the bench. he was actively supportive and continues to keep playing alex gonzalez. alex tries hard but it's gone. and a manager should have the ability and/or the gumption to recognize it and at minimum sit the player.

ron can point the finger at doug Melvin as well. doug put this roster together.

give ron a lot of credit for carlos gomez. ron believed in carlos, gave him the support the player was seeking so desperately, and it has paid off in a serious way. a manager who can take a player and help him move from ok to really good is a rare thing.

so my guess is that the pitching coach gets the axe. Melvin knows something has to give and that is manager brings some skills to the table.

if I am rick kranitz I am working on my resume
   6. BDC Posted: May 30, 2013 at 09:09 AM (#4455517)
The storm that hit the Ballpark last night about 75 minutes before game time was a new thing in my experience: as if someone had tossed a lake into the stadium and turned on the spin cycle. Water saturated every part of the park, and the wind picked up the infield tarp and blew it around the outfield as if it were a handkerchief. (I found shelter in the Season Ticket Holders Lounge and sat there in a leather armchair for half an hour reading a detective novel.) Game was rained out, no makeup date yet, Arizona & Texas play one this afternoon.
   7. JJ1986 Posted: May 30, 2013 at 09:19 AM (#4455522)
The 12 current members are listed in the second link. Can you name them before clicking on the link?

I think Zito is one because I remember it happening.

edit: my only other correct guess was Javier Vazquez.
   8. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: May 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM (#4455598)
did anyone discuss last night's tacoma/colorado springs game on the site? 25-1 ... in the sixth inning. ackley reached base 7 times in the game, as did his teammate abe almonte.
   9. Jeltzandini Posted: May 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM (#4455603)
The abolition of war did not turn out to be the big problem of the post-1913 world.
   10. vortex of dissipation Posted: May 30, 2013 at 01:40 PM (#4455902)
said Rogers. “I would observe that in any country where baseball is enjoyed you generally will find a virile, progressive, successful nation.”

In 1913, how many countries were playing baseball?
   11. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 30, 2013 at 02:10 PM (#4455940)
Per Der-K in #8, yesterday's minor league game of the day.

-- MWE
   12. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: May 30, 2013 at 02:57 PM (#4455996)
In 1913, how many countries were playing baseball?

The USA and Canada, obviously. France, the UK, and Australia had small groups of baseballers.
   13. Repoz Posted: May 30, 2013 at 05:17 PM (#4456141)
Brian Kenny just asked Jim Kaat if wins matter for starting pitchers. Took Kaat less than a minute to bring up Jack Morris & HOF. #headsplodes
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 30, 2013 at 05:38 PM (#4456156)
Game of the day (yesterday): Padres 3, Mariners 2 (10). Eric Stults and Joe Saunders? Sure, why not have an excellent pitcher's duel?

The two pitchers combined to allow one baserunner in the first three innings; sadly for Saunders, it was Chase Headley, and he ran all the way around the bases after hitting a solo homer in the first. Seattle got the run back in the top of the fourth when Endy Chavez singled, Kyle Seager doubled, and Kenrdys Morales grounded out to bring Chavez home.

Everth Cabrera led off the bottom of the fourth with a double, but was later caught stealing third. Nick Franklin singled in the top of the fifth, and Jesus Guzman and Chris Denorfia singled in the sixth, but none of them scored, and they were the only other hitters to reach while the starters were in the game. That was the end of the seventh for Saunders, and the eighth for Stults.

Carter Capps came in for Seattle in the bottom of the eighth, and the Padres appear to have been delighted. Alexi Amarista doubled with one out, Mark Kotsay walked, and Denorfia reached on an infield hit to load the bases. Cabrera then struck out, however, and Headley fouled out to leave all three runners on.

With Amarista having hit for him, Stults was removed to start the ninth, finishing with a magnificent line of 8 innings, 3 hits, no walks, 12 K's, and one run allowed, giving him a Game Score of 84. Huston Street came in, and of course immediately gave up a solo homer to Jason Bay.

Tom Wilhelmsen came on to preserve the Mariners' first lead in the ninth. He got off to a bad start, walking Yasmani Grandal on four pitches. Grandal was replaced by pinch runner Will Venable, Jedd Gyorko followed with a single, and a passed ball moved the runners to second and third. Yonder Alonso was intentionally walked to load the bases, and Kyle Blanks followed with a sac fly that tied the game. Alonso stole second to remove the force, but Amarista popped up, and pinch hitter Carlos Quentin grounded out, allowing the Mariners to escape into extras.

San Diego's Luke Gregerson worked a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the tenth. Yoervis Medina... did the opposite. Singles to Denorfia and Cabrera put runners on the corners, Headley was intentionally walked to load the bases, and Venable followed with a game-winning single.

This is a very good game - top-notch pitching from the starters, and highly eventful pitching from the bullpens, especially Seattle's. Arguably the best part, however, is that it was an extra-inning game that was played in under 3 hours (2:49).
   15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 30, 2013 at 07:16 PM (#4456224)
Game of the day (1977): Rangers 5, Brewers 4 (11). Milwaukee started Bill Travers, who had been quite good in 1976 and was on his way to a disastrous 1977. Texas started Mike Marshall, who had made 464 relief appearances since his last start (in August 1970). Can anyone check and see whether this is a record? It seems like it should at least be in the top 10 or something.

The game began poorly for Travers. Mike Hargrove led off with a walk; one out later, Jim Fregosi walked as well, and Willie Horton and Toby Harrah both singled, with each hit bringing home a run. The Brewers threatened in the bottom of the first, as Robin Yount led off with a single and Sal Bando drew a two-out walk, but they failed to score either runner. A Von Joshua single and steal and a Jim Wohlford walk once again put the tying runs on in the second, and once again Milwaukee couldn't get it done. Texas got runners to the corners in the third on a Harrah walk and a Tom Grieve ROE, but failed to pad their lead, which meant that Bando's walk and Cecil Cooper's double in the third cut their advantage to a run.

While the Rangers hadn't scored since the first, their third-inning rally did drive Travers from the game in favor of Gary Beare. They proceeded to pick up another run in the fourth against Beare, as Juan Beniquez singled and stole second, Hargrove walked, and Campaneris singled Beniquez home. The runners would both move into scoring position on a wild pitch, but Horton then struck out to end the inning.

Marshall allowed three hits in the fourth; sadly for the Brewers, Bob Sheldon was eliminated from the bases on a double play before Charlie Moore and Yount singled. The Rangers also wasted a hit in the fifth when Harrah was caught stealing, but Grieve and Bump Wills's subsequent singles were followed by a Jim Sundberg bunt/fielder's choice/everyone safe that scored their fourth run of the game. Milwaukee got one back in the bottom of the inning when Bando walked and Cooper doubled, which is a nice bit of deja vu from two innings ago.

Sam Hinds threw a perfect sixth for the Brewers; his teammates put together a single (Wohlford) and a double (Yount) against reliever Jim Hargan in the bottom of the inning, but a double play once again kept the hits from interacting. Hinds issued a pair of walks but nothing else in the seventh; Hargan walked Bando in the bottom of the inning, prompting Darold Knowles to relieve; instead of giving up Cooper's third run-scoring double of the day, Knowles got him to hit into the third Brewer double play in four innings.

After a scoreless eighth by Hinds, Knowles came back out for the bottom of the inning. He promptly walked pinch hitter Steve Brye, then gave up a homer to pinch hitter Ken McMullen to tie the game. Adrian Devine replaced Knowles and gave up two-out hits to Yount and Don Money before ending the inning, and Hinds and Devine allowed only a walk (to Bando) between them in the ninth. Hinds allowed a leadoff single to Wills in the tenth; Sundberg bunted him to second, and Hinds kept him there. Devine set the Brewers down 1-2-3 in the bottom of the inning.

The top of the eleventh started with a Fregosi single that finally drove Hinds from the mound. Bill Castro came in and immediately gave up a single to Horton and a double to Harrah, scoring the go-ahead run; an intentional walk to Dave May loaded the bases, and a force at home and a 4-6-3 double play ended the inning without further scoring, but Devine retired the side in order in the bottom of the inning once more to end the game.

Sam Hinds becomes the unusual reliever who absorbs a tough-luck loss. He worked 5.2 innings in this one, giving up 4 walks but only 2 hits. He came in with runners on the corners and one out, getting out of it with just the runner on third scoring; after that, he kept the Rangers scoreless for the next 5 innings before being pulled after a leadoff hit that eventually resulted in a game-losing run that was charged to him. He gets .292 WPA for his efforts, and one loss.

Also, seriously, I'd like to know if Marshall set the record for most relief appearances between starts here.
   16. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 30, 2013 at 07:45 PM (#4456245)
I'd like to know if Marshall set the record for most relief appearances between starts here.

He did not. Frank Linzy had 486 relief appearances between his first start on August 14, 1963 and his second (and last) start on July 29, 1973. I believe that Mike Timlin now holds this record, with 569 relief appearances between career start #3 on June 23, 1991 and #4 on April 19, 2002 - at least I can't find an obvious candidate with more.

-- MWE
   17. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:04 PM (#4456264)
Answering my own question: Mike Timlin has a run of 569 games in relief between starts (going from 1991-2002). Craig Lefferts went on a 542-relief-game run from '83 to '91 (ending in his first game of the '92 season). Dave Righetti came out of the 'pen 522 straight times between '84 and '92. David Weathers had a run of 455 straight relief appearances from '98-'04, which doesn't quite catch Marshall. Marshall's contemporary Tom Burgmeier had a string of 445 from '68 to '78. Those are the only strings of over 400 apart from Marshall that I've been able to find in the top 100 in games pitched, although there are a few active guys who would shoot to the top of the list immediately if given a start (Rivera, most notably).

Side note: Did you know that Kyle Farnsworth has the 42nd-most pitching appearances in baseball history? Or that LaTroy Hawkins is 26th?
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:22 PM (#4456283)
Working through 100-200, Elias Sosa had a run of 434 from '75 to '83, and that's the only other string of 400+ I found in there. Since we're below 600 career games at that point, I think it's safe to call Timlin the all-time leader. (Honorable mention to Braden Looper, who opened his career with 572 relief appearances before making his first start.)
   19. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 30, 2013 at 08:36 PM (#4456304)
Eric, see my #16.

-- MWE

EDIT: Rivera has made 1059 appearances since his last start. I think he should get an honorary start sometime near the end of the year.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.