Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, May 31, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-31-2013

Milwaukee Journal, May 31, 1913:

The Washington baseball club has purchased land adjoining the right field fence on the local ball grounds and will enlarge the garden because of the large number of home runs made in that part of the field. Three circuit clouts were features of yesterday’s game and a couple of these were over the right field fence.

It worked. Griffith Stadium became a notoriously difficult place to hit home runs.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 31, 2013 at 06:09 AM | 23 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 31, 2013 at 06:18 AM (#4456615)
It's a good thing today's Birthday Team has a solid pitching staff, because the lineup is pretty terrible.

Lofton, obviously, was a heck of a player. After him, though, the offensive firepower's going to have to come from Joe Orsulak and (the most recent) Dave Roberts. Good luck with that.

C: Larry Owen
1B: Joe Orsulak
2B: Ray Olmedo
3B: Jeff Schaefer
LF: Dave Roberts
CF: Kenny Lofton
RF: Jose Malave

SP: Jake Peavy
SP: Ray Washburn
SP: Dupee Shaw
SP: George Smith
SP/SS: Socks Seibold
RP: Tippy Martinez
RP: Andrew Bailey

Owner: Edward Bennett Williams
Umpire: Bill Miller
   2. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 31, 2013 at 07:32 AM (#4456621)
you want bad? here is bad (courtesy journal sentinel):

The Brewers have now lost a season-high six consecutive games, and dropped to 5-22 for the month.

They’re already assured of at least tying the franchise record for fewest victories in May (6-18 in 1987). A loss on Friday to the Philadelphia Phillies will set a new team record.

They’ll also arrive in Philadelphia having not led an opponent for 59 consecutive innings.
   3. Rants Mulliniks Posted: May 31, 2013 at 08:37 AM (#4456638)
I feel for ya Harv. Dickey got lit up again last night, giving up at least 6 runs for fourth time already, and his ERA sits at 5.18. Despite the shittiness of those results, they still make him the undisputed ace of the Jays rotation so far.
   4. BDC Posted: May 31, 2013 at 08:57 AM (#4456655)
Notes from the Ballpark yesterday (5.30.13; Texas 9, Arizona 5):

Humid but not unseasonably hot, breezy; sun occasionally breaking through the overcast; 30,896 announced for a day game and maybe 2/3 of those actually in seats (many schools are still in session, and several groups were there as class trips).

This was your basic blowout/comeback pattern, as the Rangers took a 9-0 lead and then their staff started mightily pitching to the score. A 9-5 game in the late innings was too close for Ron Washington to use the scrubs, and he had to use some of his front-line bullpen too, after Michael Kirkman came in and didn't have good stuff or command.

Arizona outfielders Pollock and Ross both misplayed balls that fueled the Ranger rallies. Late in the game, though, I saw Gerardo Parra make a dazzling twist-and-dive catch. Or rather I didn't see it: by that point, I was sitting a few rows behind home plate, a little up the 1B line, and had no view of the far RF corner; but on replay, it was a beauty. The man may truly have some defensive value :)

Tactical note of the game: in the bottom of the third, the Rangers led 3-0 with a runner on third and one out. With Nelson Cruz at bat, Kirk Gibson brought his infield in. I first-guessed this move on two counts:
(1) strategic: it's only the third; what's 4-0 against 3-0? You need outs here, and you can trade a run for one if it means shutting down a possible big inning.
(2) tactical: it's Nelson Cruz. He's not going to squeeze-bunt or hit some little ground ball. He'll either strike out, hit a sacrifice fly, or hammer the ball somewhere.

And no sooner had I said that to myself, worrying the fans sitting around me, than Cruz hits a line drive right at the drawn-in shortstop – and a foot over his outstretched glove. RBI single, and then Mitch Moreland hit the foul pole with a fly ball for a 2-run homer, and it was 6-0 and the eventual deciding run had been scored.
   5. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 31, 2013 at 09:01 AM (#4456657)
So the Royals finally win last night, and it took til 2 am to do it. They trailed 2-1 going into the ninth, then scored 3 in the top of the ninth to take the lead. Before they were done hitting, it started absolutely pouring, and they delayed the game for 3 hours. The umps did all they could to keep from calling it because if they call it, the 9th inning doesn't count since it was never completed, and the Royals lose despite scoring more runs than the Cardinals.

Isn't it time to revise this rule? Why is it so hard to suspend the game and pick it up on a makeup date?
   6. Mike Emeigh Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM (#4456705)
Isn't it time to revise this rule?

In fact, the rule has been revised. Rule 4.12(a)(5) specifies that a game becomes a suspended game if it is called while an inning is in progress, before the inning is completed, the visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not retaken the lead.

It's more likely that the umpires didn't want to suspend the game because of the potential difficulty in bringing the two teams back together for what might amount to half an inning of baseball.

-- MWE
   7. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM (#4456726)
by the way, if my general brewer stuff is not welcome in the dugout please let me know.

I didn't think a distinct thread submittal would be appropriate for my daily kvetching of a post or two
   8. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM (#4456781)
Nah, Harv, you're always welcome here. I like the idea of getting regular updates for teams I don't closely follow, particularly the "flyover country" teams that don't get national press.
   9. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: May 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM (#4456783)
dan

thanks.
   10. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM (#4456829)
Birthday first baseman Joe Orsulak played about 150 innings at first* in the majors. He came up with the Pirates as a speed and arm center fielder, broke his ankle, and the speed never came back. He resurfaced as a right fielder with the awful Orioles of 1988 who lost 21 in a row to start the season. At that point, he didn't do anything well enough that he actually hurt the other team, and so was always on a short leash. Orsulak responded by not having an off year for about 10 years, moving through mostly bad teams as wound down from near fulltime to platoon to bench player. He played in almost 1500 major league games.

*If he had been born 70 years earlier, Orsulak could have been the Bill Buckner of Louisville or Buffalo.
   11. Nasty Nate Posted: May 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM (#4456836)
Randomly, I was looking at the boxscores of the 1956 world series. What struck me was that, in game 6, Clem Labine hit for himself in the 10th inning of game 6. He was a poor-hitting reliever, and yet he would have came out to pitch his 11th inning of the game if Brooklyn didn't score in their half of the 10th. That seems bizarre.
   12. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM (#4456904)
Thanks Mike, I think I had read the rule was revised, but I read a game recap that assumed the old rules were in effect.

EDIT: Apparently, if its the last time the two teams will meet at that location, the new suspended game rule does not take effect?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130531&content_id=49174114&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I also love this:

Heck, left fielder Alex Gordon even grabbed a rake and headed onto the field. 'We were all lobbying,' said right fielder Jeff Francoeur. 'You saw Gordo take the dirt out there and he was going to help the grounds crew out.'
   13. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: May 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM (#4456911)
MLBTV drops price to $85 and $99 for premium for the rest of the year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130531&content_id=49177566&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
   14. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: May 31, 2013 at 01:22 PM (#4456943)
i actively appreciate your brewer stuff, hw.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: May 31, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4456970)
Harv, as long as the Brewers are crappier than the Phillies, I appreciate your posts. :) As pissy as we Phillies fans are this year, I imagine a 26-28 record would look mighty good to you.
   16. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: May 31, 2013 at 02:14 PM (#4457004)
Need some help, posting this in today's Chatter and Dugout.

Need a rec on 'good semi-fancy Mexican restaurant' in Chicago for my buddy's bachelor party. Having spent all of about 16 hours in Chicago in my lifetime, I don't know why the two guys who went to Northwestern want my help planning it, but you do what you gotta. Preferably a place that takes reservations - evidently Topolobampo and Frontera have been dismissed for this reason. Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
   17. WillYoung Posted: May 31, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4457088)
As a Twins fan, I wish they could play the Brewers more often. I don't think Milwaukee had a lead in the entire season.
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 31, 2013 at 06:14 PM (#4457255)
Game of the day (yesterday): Pirates 1, Tigers 0 (11). If this were the Game of the Day in 1977, it would be dueling complete games between John Candelaria and, uhh... well, Mickey Lolich was gone, and Jack Morris was in the bullpen, and Mark Fidrych was hurt, so... Dave Rozema? Also, it never would have occurred because it's an interleague game, and the Dave Rozema-led Tigers sure weren't going to the World Series.

In 2013, it matches up Doug Fister and Jeff Locke. Locke allowed a rulebook double to Miguel Cabrera in the first, and Fister plunked Neil Walker, and those were the only players to reach base in the first three innings.

Things livened up in the fourth, starting with Cabrera's second double. In the bottom of the inning, Walker led off with a single; it may be excusable for him to have thought he'd need to steal his way into scoring position, but after he was thrown out, Andrew McCutchen and Garret Jones both singled as well to put runners on the corners. Russell Martin struck out, however, and Travis Snider lined out to strand them.

With Pittsburgh having amassed three hits without scoring, the Tigers decided to do them one better in the top of the fifth. Matt Tuiasosopo led off with a single, and Brayan Pena matched him. Avisail Garcia then singled to right, and Tuiasosopo tried for home, but Snider threw him out. Fister then singled in support of his own cause, but Omar Infante grounded into a force at home, and Andy Dirks grounded out as well to end the inning. Four hits, no runs.

After a perfect fifth from Fister, Detroit threatened again in the sixth, as Prince Fielder singled and Ramon Santiago walked with one out. Vin Mazzaro replaced Locke on the mound and quickly retired the next two Tigers to extinguish the rally. McCutchen drew a walk in the bottom of the sixth, and Garcia's walk and Infante's single put Tigers on the corners in the seventh before Dirks popped up and Cabrera grounded out. Snider singled in the bottom of the seventh, which would be Fister's last inning.

The teams kept putting lone baserunners on for the next few innings - a Tuiasosopo walk, a Josh Harrison single, an Infante double, and a Martin single, respectively, through the ninth inning. Mark Melancon and Luke Putkonen finally worked a perfect tenth; Bryan Morris was spotless in the top of the eleventh, while Putkonen proceeded to cover himself in spots, as Walker singled, McCutchen walked, Gaby Sanchez singled, and Martin singled as well to end the game.

Starters going head-to-head the whole time or not, this is still a heck of a pitcher's duel - and remarkably, it's the second 1-0, 11-inning win the Pirates have garnered against the Tigers in the last three days.
   19. TerpNats Posted: May 31, 2013 at 06:32 PM (#4457265)
IIRC, Joe Orsulak played for the Alexandria Dukes when they were a Pirates affiliate, not long before the team moved to Prince William County, had a number of affiliations -- Pirates, Yankees, Cardinals, Reds -- and ultimately became the Potomac Nationals. (Prince William alumni included Barry Bonds, Bernie Williams and Albert Pujols.)
   20. salvomania Posted: May 31, 2013 at 07:12 PM (#4457284)
Need a rec on 'good semi-fancy Mexican restaurant' in Chicago for my buddy's bachelor party.

I haven't lived in Chicago since 2000, but Frontera Grill/Topolobampo were pretty good back in the day.
   21. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 31, 2013 at 07:24 PM (#4457288)
Game of the day (1977): Padres 9, Giants 8. John d'Acquisto vs. Bob Knepper; Knepper was in his first year as a starter, but it was a very good year, so you'd easily favor him in a matchup against a pitcher who had only one respectable year in the rotation in his career, and it was three years earlier.

Knepper allowed a two-out double by Mike Ivie in the top of the first. In the bottom of the inning, Rob Andrews singled to lead off, and Derrel Thomas walked. Two outs later, Jack Clark added a single to score Andrews with the game's first run. The teams combined to strand five runners in the second, as Doug Rader and Bob Davis were plunked and walked in the top of the inning, and Marc Hill, Andrews, and Thomas went single-walk-walk in the bottom before Gary Thomasson struck out to leave the bases loaded with the score still 1-0.

San Diego broke through in the top of the third, as Bill Almon singled, Ivie doubled him home to tie the game, and George Hendrick followed with a go-ahead RBI single. And then, in the bottom of the inning, d'Acquisto came apart at the seams. Terry Whitfield and Clark started the inning with singles, and Larry Herndon walked to load the bases. Tim Foli grounded back to the mound, and d'Acquisto promptly made an error that allowed a run to score. Hill grounded to third, where Rader's error brought in the second run of the inning. Dan Spillner mercifully replaced d'Acquisto, and the Giants made the unusual (but intriguing) choice to pinch hit for Knepper in the bottom of the third. Darrell Evans was the pinch hitter of choice, and whatever your feelings about the decision, it's hard to say it paid off when Evans hit into a 3-6-1 double play. The twin killing did score a run, however, and Andrews brought in another with a single to make it a 5-2 game.

With both teams being simultaneously deprived of their starters, the game became an early battle of the bullpens. Dave Heaverlo came on for the Giants and allowed one-out singles to Davis and pinch hitter Dave Roberts, followed by a Thomasson error to load the bases. Almon struck out, but Ivie reached on an infield hit to bring in a run; naturally, Roberts tried to score on the play as well and was thrown out at home to end the inning. In the bottom of the fourth, Dave Tomlin allowed a single and steal to Thomas and a two-out infield hit to Clark before stranding the runners at the corners. The top of the fifth brought another Padre run when Dave Winfield led off with an infield hit, moved to third when Hendrick reached on Clark's error, and scored on Mike Champion's groundout.

After a perfect fifth from Tomlin, San Diego tied the game on its third unearned run in as many innings. Merv Rettenmund led off with a pinch single, but Gene Richards hit into a double play. Almon then grounded to third, where Thomas's miscue allowed him to reach; Ivie followed with a game-tying RBI double. The tie proved extremely brief, as new Padre pitcher Rick Sawyer served up a Thomas single and a Thomasson homer in the bottom of the inning, but they got one of the two runs back on Hendrick's solo homer in the top of the seventh, which was part of the Giants' motivation in finally removing Heaverlo from the game. Charlie Williams came in with one out and immediately allowed hits to Champion and pinch hitter Jerry Turner, but fellow pinch hitter Gary Sutherland lined into a double play to end the inning.

Dave Wehrmeister threw a perfect bottom of the seventh to keep the game close, and the Padres came on hard in the eighth. Richards led off with a double, and Thomas bunted him to third. Randy Moffitt replaced Williams, but Ivie followed with a game-tying single anyway; Winfield's single moved him to second, a wild pitch moved them both up 90 feet, and Hendrick was intentionally walked to load the bases. Rader then grounded to second - and Andrews let the ball get by for an error, bringing Ivie in with the go-ahead run and Winfield behind him for insurance. Herndon added insult to injury by making a second error on the play that allowed Hendrick to reach third, but Champion popped up a bunt (presumably a squeeze) for an inning-ending double play.

Bill Madlock started the bottom of the eighth with a pinch hit double against Wehrmeister; a passed ball moved him to third, and he came home on a one-out groundout by Thomas. Thomasson then singled to put the tying run on, but Bob Owchinko struck out Randy Elliott to end the inning. Perfect ninths from John Curtis and Rollie Fingers brought the game to its conclusion without further drama.

Not that there was any shortage of drama beforehand. The Padres won on a pair of five-spots: Mike Ivie's 5 hits (the only 5-hit game of his career; it came with 2 runs scored - both go-ahead runs - and 4 RBIs - 3 game-tying ones), and the Giants' 5 errors, all of which came on plays that led directly to runs (Herndon's last error was the only one that didn't directly lead to a run).

You knock the other team's starter out in the third and still lose, thanks almost entirely to the incompetence of your fielders. That's a difficult loss.
   22. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 31, 2013 at 07:26 PM (#4457290)
Honorable mention GotD in 1977: Indians 1, Angels 0. Frank Tanana throws a 5-hitter, but is outdueled by Dennis Eckersley, who allows 5 fewer hits.
   23. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: May 31, 2013 at 07:38 PM (#4457297)
I don't think Milwaukee had a lead in the entire season.

Hey, they're not THAT bad.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.