Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 05, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-5-2014

The [Honolulu] Hawaiian Gazette, May 5, 1914:

Sherwood Magee of the Phillies is toting around a black eye and cut lip as the result of a scrap with Pitcher Marshall the day before the opening game. Magee addressed a remark to Marshall which the hurler resented and a fist fight followed. Other members of the club separated the pair, and later, it is said, the difference was patched up.

Ways to quickly end your major league career: 1. Perform poorly. 2. Punch a star teammate in the face.

Rube Marshall did ‘em both.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 05, 2014 at 08:21 AM | 24 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, rube marshall, sherry magee

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: May 05, 2014 at 08:29 AM (#4700204)
Two Reds second basemen on today's Birthday Team, not to mention a Foxy Grandpa.

C/Manager: Mike Redmond
1B: Chris Duncan
2B: Ron Oester
3B: Tommy Helms
SS: Jose Pagan
LF: Bob Cerv
CF: Larry Hisle
RF: Jimmy "Foxy Grandpa" Bannon

SP: Chief Bender
SP: Charles Nagy
SP: Lee Richmond
SP: Tom Vickery
SP: Hideki Irabu
RP: Juan Acevedo

Not the drummer from the Sex Pistols: Paul Cook
   2. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 08:52 AM (#4700207)
Adrian Beltre milestone watch: with three Runs Scored yesterday, Beltre ties two pretty good professional hitters for 181st on the career leaderboard with 1,189: Al Oliver and Rusty Staub.

And speaking of ageless pinch hitters for the Mets, Beltre's three Hits vault him past Bobby Abreu for 112th place on that leaderboard, with 2,442. If Beltre stays off the DL for a while, Abreu may not get the playing time ever to draw even with him again.
   3. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:02 AM (#4700208)
Trivia: between the inception of the DH and that of interleague play, there were some starting pitchers who put in considerable careers without ever coming to bat in a ML game. Most of the really long-career pitchers did bat at some point: both Jack Morris and Dave Stieb, for example, had a single regular-season PA, and Morris added four more in a couple of World Series. Earl Weaver and later Baltimore managers were very scrupulous about never letting a pitcher bat in the regular season, but even so Mike Flanagan, Scott McGregor, and Mike Boddicker came to the plate in World Series games.

What pitcher made the most starts (329) in ML history without ever coming to bat in regular or postseason play? Hints: he was twice an All-Star and once a 20-game winner, and though he has a World Series ring, he did not pitch in his team's Series victory.
   4. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:16 AM (#4700210)
Games of May 2:

1984 - a Hall of Famer makes the second-to-last appearance of his career (and pitches like it), and a player ties a single-game major league record that probably went unnoticed by just about everyone who wasn't keeping score.

2014 - a game that didn't literally have everything, but came close: losing the DH, five-man infield (with a resultant unusually-scored play), an extraordinarily long double play, and a career first for someone who's played for a very long time.
   5. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:24 AM (#4700213)
Games of May 3:

1984 - two rosters filled with Hall of Famers, Cy Young winners, and other assorted stars face off, yet the heroes of the day were two position players who combined for less than 2500 plate appearances in their careers. One of them had what I would guess to be one of the 5-10 highest single-game WPAs of the season, if not the decade.

2014 - an extra-inning game in which one of the starters gets knocked out in the fourth, and the other team then patiently weathers a comeback and waits for the inevitable appearance by the weak spot in the bullpen. Also, a young player has his first five-hit game, and two guys who usually start are heroes off the bench instead.
   6. Tom Nawrocki Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:32 AM (#4700216)
Really disappointed that Saturday's 11-10 Rockies-Mets game - the first game I attended in person this year - didn't win Game of the Day.
   7. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:40 AM (#4700218)

I would have sworn it was Jimmy Key, but he had two plate appearances in the World Series (1993) and three in the 1997 regular season.
   8. Randy Jones Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:44 AM (#4700220)
I would have sworn it was Jimmy Key, but he had two plate appearances in the World Series (1993) and three in the 1997 regular season.

Key also never won 20 games. He almost certainly would have in '94 if not for the strike, as he was leading the league with 17 wins.
   9. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:56 AM (#4700224)
Dennis Leonard? I'm pretty sure he was still on the 1985 Royals, but I don't remember him in the starting rotation.
   10. Random Transaction Generator Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:58 AM (#4700225)
Key also never won 20 games. He almost certainly would have in '94 if not for the strike, as he was leading the league with 17 wins.

Ah, missed that part.
Found the answer, but by using some other criteria rather than the ones mentioned in the clue.
(Based on career starting/finishing points, and teams played for)

I'm pretty sure it would have taken me a while to get to his name through process of elimination.
   11. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 09:59 AM (#4700226)
Leonard never batted, but he only started 302 games.
   12. JJ1986 Posted: May 05, 2014 at 10:14 AM (#4700236)
I was able to guess the WS winning team correctly and found the answer after a glance at their rotation. Never would have gotten it without that clue.
   13. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: May 05, 2014 at 10:15 AM (#4700237)
...not to mention a Foxy Grandpa.

Entries on IMDB from the Foxy Grandpa series:

- Why Foxy Grandpa Escaped a Ducking
- The Boys Think They Have One on Foxy Grandpa, But He Fools Them [aka "Foxy Grandpa Plays Banjo As Well As He Dances"]
- Foxy Grandpa Shows the Boys a Trick or Two with the Tramp
- Foxy Grandpa Tells the Boys a Funny Story
- The Boys Try to Put One Up on Foxy Grandpa [aka "Boys Play a Trick on Grandpa with Punching Machine"]
- Foxy Grandpa Shows Boys He Is a Magician [aka "Boys, Still Determined, Try It Again on Foxy Grandpa, with the Same Results"]
- Boys Take Grandpa's Cigars with Distressing Results
[aka "Boys Help Themselves to Foxy Grandpa's Cigars"]
- Foxy Grandpa and Polly in a Little Hilarity

(thanks to jjgo)

They don't title 'em like they used to...
   14. tolbuck Posted: May 05, 2014 at 10:20 AM (#4700240)
How about Mark Gubicza? I don't remember him pitching in that WS.
   15. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 10:30 AM (#4700247)
Gubicza it is!
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 05, 2014 at 11:10 AM (#4700286)
Game of May 4, 1984: a playoff preview in which two future Hall of Fame #2 hitters had almost-identical games. The very slight differences in their performances would prove decisive (along with a questionable intentional walk that arguably backfired).
   17. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: May 05, 2014 at 11:30 AM (#4700307)
My wrong guess was Teddy Higuera. I forgot (or possibly never knew; I was 4 at the time) that he came up the year after the Tigers won the Series. He did have 1 20-win season and no career PAs. But only 205 starts.

Also, I just learned that his full name was Teodoro Higuera Valenzuela. That's a fantastic name. Way too good to be shortened into the bland "Teddy".
   18. Rennie's Tenet Posted: May 05, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4700320)
Most of the really long-career pitchers did bat at some point: both Jack Morris and Dave Stieb, for example, had a single regular-season PA

Stieb actually got 2 plate appearances in All Star games. The only official at-bat was a strikeout at the hands of Bruce Sutter, which remains after more than 30 years my standard for helplessness at the plate.
   19. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 11:54 AM (#4700331)
Interesting, Rennie. I never thought of checking ASGs, on the assumption that by that era no pitcher ever batted anymore; but I guess there were some years there where it happened. Cool.
   20. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: May 05, 2014 at 01:03 PM (#4700430)
Game of May 4, this year: A pitching matchup of former rookie postseason standouts, one player out-walks the entire opposing team, and the losing side keenly feels a free-agent departure from this offseason.
   21. Gary Truth Serum Posted: May 05, 2014 at 01:58 PM (#4700488)
Interesting, Rennie. I never thought of checking ASGs, on the assumption that by that era no pitcher ever batted anymore; but I guess there were some years there where it happened. Cool.

Before the ASG instituted the DH rule, the starting pitchers would sometimes get an at-bat in if the #9 spot in the order came up before the manager thought that the pitcher hadn't had enough time in the spotlight yet. The visiting team could easily get nine batters up in the first two innings, and it didn't seem far to give the game's starter, who was usually the league's best pitcher in the first half, only one inning on the mound.

But Steib's second at-bat came after the AL ran out of pinch hitters in 1981. (He had to wear Tom Pacorek's Mariner batting helmet--he was the Jays only rep and most pitchers probably don't bring batting helmets to the All-Star game.) I think Norm Charlton got an at-bat in the early 90s under similar circumstances.
   22. BDC Posted: May 05, 2014 at 03:01 PM (#4700530)
the AL ran out of pinch hitters in 1981

Wow, I'm surprised Bowie Kuhn didn't declare it a tie :)
   23. puck Posted: May 05, 2014 at 04:16 PM (#4700584)
   24. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: May 05, 2014 at 05:58 PM (#4700665)
Has anybody studied how well minor league fielding performance translates to MLB?
I'm asking for a friend.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.