Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-17-2014

Pittsburgh Press, June 17, 1914:

Of course we have all been hep to the fact that baseball is one of the best real tonics there is—both for the player and for the spectator. Not many have bothered about why it is—they know it is, and that has been sufficient.
[Professor G.T.W. Patrick of the University of Iowa says] “During untold periods of the life history of our race, survival has come to him who could throw the straightest, run the swiftest, and strike the hardest…Anyone who has ever held a bat in hand, and assumed the expectant attitude of the batter, knows the peculiar thrill which is explained only by recalling that his distant ancestors in just that attitude beat down with a real club many an opposing foe, whether man or beast, and those who held clubs in this position and struck hard and quickly survived, and transmitted this instinct.”

Plus, baseball is cool.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 17, 2014 at 08:28 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, making stuff up

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 17, 2014 at 08:30 AM (#4728204)
Good shortstop, excellent offensive left fielder, and a bunch of blech on today's Birthday Team. Bill Hubbell, by the way, is unrelated to Carl Hubbell and Troubled Hubble.

C: Chink Outen
1B: Claude Rossman
2B: Zeb Terry
3B: Manuel Lee
SS: Dave Concepcion
LF: Pete Browning
CF: Mickey Brantley
RF: Shawn Abner

SP: Phil Douglas
SP: Joe Bowman
SP: Willard Nixon
SP: Bennie Daniels
SP: Bill Hubbell
RP: Mike Magnante

Cult Hero: Joe Charboneau
Awful Story: Dernell Stenson
Minor League Vander Meer: Tom Drees
   2. Golfing Great Mitch Cumstein Posted: June 17, 2014 at 08:49 AM (#4728213)
After watching the Braves on national tv twice over the weekend, I am stunned that BJ Upton is playing and batting 2nd. Why is that happening?
   3. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: June 17, 2014 at 08:49 AM (#4728214)
scooter gennett has taken to batting leadoff. he's raised his batting average i think a good 20 odd points nad last night hit a 400 plus foot homer. he still cannot hit lefties if they threw him a pitch underhand. but he's doing the job at the plate and in the field

meanwhile, jean segura has completely tanked after being moved off leadoff. i think ron is in danger of losing the young man. which is not common for ron who normally is able to connect with players very well. but segura has struggled on offense now for almost a year after last year's hot start. and batting 8th is clearly bugging him to no end

to his credit his defense has held together so that's soemthing
   4. BDC Posted: June 17, 2014 at 09:11 AM (#4728228)
Milestone Watch: with three RBIs last night in Oakland, Adrian Beltre ties Gary Gaetti for 89th all-time (1,341). Gaetti's best years would fit nicely into Beltre's career line (the .290 30 100 range, fine glove, not very fast) – though he didn't have quite so many good years.

Beltre's 1,214th Run Scored tied him with HOMer Cupid Childs for 170th career. I'm'a go out on a limb here and say that none of Cupid Childs' descendants rushed out to home plate to congratulate Beltre on the achievement.

5. BDC Posted: June 17, 2014 at 09:14 AM (#4728233)
And I should add that even if the Rangers don't move the needle off .500 for the rest of the year, it is fun watching them scrap for a change, and to see excellent players like Beltre and Darvish have good years. I just wish I could get out to the park more. I saw six games in April, but thanks to some travel and other commitments, I don't have another ticket until mid-August :(
   6. Sweatpants Posted: June 17, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4728240)
Why is that happening?
Braves outfielders by OPS+:

Justin Upton 138
Jason Heyward 97
B.J. Upton 73
Jordan Schafer 46
Ryan Doumit 39

Not a lot of options. As for hitting second, I guess they just don't trust La Stella there, or they're trying to be optimistic about Upton.
   7. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 17, 2014 at 09:46 AM (#4728270)
During untold periods of the life history of our race, survival has come to him who could throw the straightest, run the swiftest, and strike the hardest…Anyone who has ever held a bat in hand, and assumed the expectant attitude of the batter, knows the peculiar thrill which is explained only by recalling that his distant ancestors in just that attitude beat down with a real club many an opposing foe...

SABRs National Pastime anthology from sometime in the 1980s had a marvelous article that analogized most of baseball to early or pre-history, including the pitching coach/eunuch in charge of the bullpen/harem.
   8. BDC Posted: June 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4728348)
his distant ancestors in just that attitude beat down with a real club many an opposing foe

Although his smarter ancestors just stood there with the club on their shoulder till four foes ran wildly past, and then walked calmly on.
   9. Hank G. Posted: June 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM (#4728356)
I didn’t realize that the word “hep” went back that far. The Online Etymology Dictionary traces it back to 1908.
   10. Nasty Nate Posted: June 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4728367)
After watching the Braves on national tv twice over the weekend, I am stunned that BJ Upton is playing and batting 2nd. Why is that happening?

I knew he was playing, but I was also surprised he was batting 2nd. I don't follow them closely, but I would think that any other player besides the pitcher or Uggla would be better in that spot.
   11. dr. scott Posted: June 17, 2014 at 02:48 PM (#4728609)
BDC, i got to watch them pummel my A's last night... they were hitting the crap out of the ball. Oakland played fine on offense, but Texas was just killing it, and the A's made three errors... Hopefully the A's will turn it around tonight.
   12. Danny Posted: June 17, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4728654)
The A's have acquired Brad Mills from the Brewers for $1. Robothal reports that Mills is headed for the Oakland rotation, which I guess means Pomeranz is heading back to the bullpen after that pummeling.

Mills seems like a poor-man's Tommy Milone. But that's a helluva rotation Nashville had.
   13. Urkel's Boner Posted: June 17, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4728706)
Bill Hubbell, by the way, is unrelated to Carl Hubbell and Troubled Hubble.

Hubble Bubble sneer at your Troubled Hubble reference.
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 17, 2014 at 05:52 PM (#4728813)
The Game of 6/16/84 was another one in which the winning team didn't get a multi-hit game out of anyone. In this case, they had seven starters (including their pitcher) get hits, plus one bench warmer. The two starters who didn't were, of course, the two best players on the team - a Hall of Famer and a guy who should be, both of them in their primes.

Also, it had one starting pitcher go 9, and the other go longer, which is always cool.
   15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 17, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4728861)
The Game of 6/16/14 saw its two teams combine on a 3 for 22 line with runners in scoring position; of course, only one of them will end up being bothered by this, because the other team won. It also saw a pitcher reach base for the first time in his career (while batting for the first time in 5 years).
   16. Cooper Nielson Posted: June 17, 2014 at 09:49 PM (#4728938)
Random trivia question, and I guess this is as good a place to ask it as any:

Other than "infinite," what's the highest ERA you have ever seen for a pitcher? Let's say (i) for a full season (should be easy to look up), (ii) at any point mid-season (but after a game has been completed, i.e., the ERA that would appear in a published box score), or (iii) at any point mid-game (i.e., the pitcher's "real-time" ERA that might appear on TV)?

Donnie Joseph was called up for the Royals yesterday and gave up 6 runs in 0.2 innings, leaving his post-game ERA at a tidy 81.00. I know I've seen 162.00 as an ERA (6 runs in 0.1 IP) but I don't remember ever seeing anything higher than that.

Another possible way to approach it (though it might not necessarily lead to the same answer):

What's the most (earned) runs a pitcher has been charged with before retiring his second batter of the season?

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Harveys Wallbangers
for his generous support.