Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 19, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-19-2017

Pittsburgh Press, June 19, 1917:

WEST PENN UMPIRE NOT THROWN INTO THE CREEK

In the published account of the baseball game played between the Irwin and Pitcairn clubs in the West Penn league Saturday at the former place, it was stated that Umpire Scanlin was thrown into a creek by the fans.

Although there was a disturbance at the close of the game during which the Irwin fans rushed upon the field, no violence was done to the umpire…

I’ve done a bit of umpiring before and I know how difficult it is. I don’t condone violence, particularly over sporting events.

But if a group of people wanted to throw Joe West or C.B. Bucknor into a creek, taking care not to injure them, I might be into that.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM | 12 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM (#5478510)
Today's Birthday Team. Maybe the first baseman can teach the second baseman how to hit home runs.

C: Devin Mesoraco (4.3 WAR)
1B: Lou Gehrig (112.36 WAR)
2B: Duane Kuiper (4.17 WAR)
3B: Bob Aspromonte (1.16 WAR)
SS/Manager: Don Gutteridge (-0.79 WAR)
LF: Butch Davis (0.19 WAR)
CF: Dustan Mohr (2.36 WAR)
RF: Doug Mientkiewicz (11.87 WAR)

SP: Eddie Cicotte (57.96 WAR)
SP: Jerry Reuss (35.55 WAR)
SP: 1930s Bill Swift (21.53 WAR)
SP: Jim Slaton (17.49 WAR)
SP: Jacob deGrom (13.7 WAR)
RP: Bruce Chen (9.98 WAR)

Boo: Johnnie LeMaster (-5.43 WAR)
Fun name: Casper Asbjornson, Craig Smajstrla, George Burpo
Not that one: Bob Gibson, Ozzie Osborn
RIP: Oscar Taveras
   2. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:26 AM (#5478518)
Golfer Arnold Palmer would be exactly as old as Connie Mack was the day of his last game as manager (32,059 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as items for themselves here.
   3. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM (#5478530)
If he had been thrown in, the umpire or his body would have floated to the Monongahela very near the point where General Braddock was defeated by the French. Maybe he wasn't a history buff, though.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM (#5478531)
What's the over/under on number of people it would take to throw Joe West in a creek? 20?
   5. Tom T Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM (#5478532)
Fun weekend of baseball with son #1's 14u team highlighted by the umpire following the head coach out to the mound after the pitcher walked a batter to bring the winning run to the plate in the bottom of the 7th, looking the pitcher straight in eye as the head coach is walking back to the dugout and simply saying "Don't f*** it up, kid." Calmly turned and walked back behind the plate while the infielders all walked back to their positions fighting to keep from laughing too loudly. (Which, of course, is why we had to ask them what happened after the coach left the mound.) Oh, he got the next batter to ground out to SS on the first pitch to win the tournament.

Doesn't seem we currently have a thread going on inner city baseball and the desire to revive it, so guess I'll dump this here --- no useful input, just relaying an experience that was thought-inspiring. Specifically, at this tournament we had an opportunity to chat with the head coach of Arlington High School in Indy --- Herb Teal, claims to be a former low-level minor leaguer, but neither BREF nor the Cube show him...but I think the rosters for the low levels are incomplete for the '70s? Anyway, he detests MLB's RBI program, and (web searches confirmed this) has long been clamoring for cities to revive youth baseball leagues, but nobody will put in the money for equipment to make it work. When Herb coached previously at Broad Ripple HS (not even a true "inner city" school!), he had to buy cleats for nearly his entire high school team, because nobody had any. Now at his alma mater (Arlington), he purchased a used golf course mower so he and his assistant (Rodney Scott of 63 SB in 1980...also an Arlington HS alum) could better maintain the field. In spite of the dedication of two guys who did decently through baseball, he got all of about 25 kids to the call-out last year, had 16 left after grades were released, and finished the season with 11. They have no problem getting kids out for football and basketball, but he hasn't yet found a way to get the kids to realize their opportunities for advancement are probably greater if they are good at baseball than in the (crowded) football and basketball scenes. He was pretty strong in his sentiment that if the cities or other organizations would just put money not only into administering youth leagues (which I gather RBI does relatively effectively), but also would provide help with equipment (the RBI allocation of $30M over 25+ years is not very impressive) and then getting kids connected to their schools (and, presumably, investing some resources in inner city school baseball), it would be much more effective overall. Anyway, it was an interesting interaction, and inspiring to see the guy's dedication to trying to make baseball work for other kids the same way it did for him.
   6. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: June 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM (#5478534)
What's the over/under on number of people it would take to throw Joe West in a creek? 20?

Someone (I think Colbert or maybe John Oliver) said of Russian Ambassador Sergey Kisliak "The only man in the world who's chin has its own smile.", and I thought "Nuh uh. Joe West."
   7. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 19, 2017 at 11:11 AM (#5478554)
Someone (I think Colbert or maybe John Oliver) said of Russian Ambassador Sergey Kisliak "The only man in the world who's chin has its own smile.", and I thought "Nuh uh. Joe West."

Last year I was at a bar, and they had a game on one of the TVs with the sound off. There was an extended close-up of Joe West, must have been after a controversial call he made (go figure), and he was chewing gum. Every chomp would reverberate and ripple down his chins. It was both terrifying and mesmerizing.
   8. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 19, 2017 at 11:13 AM (#5478557)
highlighted by the umpire following the head coach out to the mound after the pitcher walked a batter to bring the winning run to the plate in the bottom of the 7th, looking the pitcher straight in eye as the head coach is walking back to the dugout and simply saying "Don't f*** it up, kid." Calmly turned and walked back behind the plate while the infielders all walked back to their positions fighting to keep from laughing too loudly.

Isn't that kind of inappropriate for an ump to say?
   9. Ziggy: The Platonic Form of Russell Branyan Posted: June 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM (#5478575)
It wasn't until just a few months ago that I realized how good Eddie Cicotte was. If not for the, well, you know, he'd probably be in the hall of fame by now. Not an amazing inner-circle style hall of famer, but definitely a deserving one. In a way he sort of reminds me of Curt Schilling, at least in that he really refined the control thing as he got older. (Not to Schilling's levels obviously, but still.)

Also, got to love deadball. In 1910 a 2.74 ERA was good for a 93 ERA+. It must have been like watching soccer.
   10. Tom T Posted: June 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM (#5478594)

Eh, we saw the other team's batters sometimes step out of the box and hide laughs once in a while...will have to ask our catcher what he was telling them.

Good ump --- extremely consistent strike zone (the couple of aberrations were noticed by all) and very effective at making his calls clear.

If he'd been particularly partial or something, I think the behavior would have rubbed folks wrong, but given his nature and continual encouragement to the kids during the game, it was rather endearing...in a crazy uncle sort of way.
   11. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: June 19, 2017 at 02:01 PM (#5478695)
Also, got to love deadball. In 1910 a 2.74 ERA was good for a 93 ERA+. It must have been like watching soccer.

Lots of errors BITD. The 1910 ML ERA was 2.77, but the RA was 3.84.... down a little from current day, but not by a crazy amount. Certainly not to the depths of a snoozefest like soccer.
   12. RMc and the Respective Punishments Posted: June 19, 2017 at 03:59 PM (#5478759)
highlighted by the umpire following the head coach out to the mound after the pitcher walked a batter to bring the winning run to the plate in the bottom of the 7th, looking the pitcher straight in eye as the head coach is walking back to the dugout and simply saying "Don't f*** it up, kid." Calmly turned and walked back behind the plate while the infielders all walked back to their positions fighting to keep from laughing too loudly.

Especially to a 14-year-old. But that's the world we're living in now.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.