Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-25-2013

Milwaukee Journal, June 25, 1913:

President Ban Johnson of the American league, in commenting today upon the suspension of Joe Jackson, premier hitter of the Cleveland Naps, declared that Jackson’s conduct on the field [he was ejected] Sunday proved that Manager Joe Birmingham of the Naps is not competent to manage an American league team.

“The trouble provoked by Jackson might have started a riot,” said Johnson, “and anything approaching that would mean the abolition of Sunday baseball in Cleveland. The failure of Birmingham to realize this and to handle his players so as to prevent a disturbance on big days convinces me that he is not competent to manage one of our teams.

“I shall write Birmingham a scathing rebuke and tell him he cannot take such chances of doing baseball a permanent injury in Cleveland.”

If failure to control Joe Jackson made managers incompetent, there were an awful lot of bozos running ballclubs in the first couple decades of the 20th century.

Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: June 25, 2013 at 06:12 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: ban johnson, dugout, history, joe birmingham, joe jackson

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee prefers good shortstops to great paintings Posted: June 25, 2013 at 06:26 AM (#4477300)
An alarming lack of middle infield depth on today's Birthday Team. The starting second baseman and shortstop combined for a total of three career hits.

Luckily, we've got a minor leaguer who can play both positions.

I don't think of Delgado as an outfielder either, but he did play 58 games in left at the start of his MLB career.

C: Mike Stanley
1B/Manager: Joe Kuhel
2B: Bill Webb
3B: Aramis Ramirez
SS: Barney White
LF: Carlos Delgado
CF: Don Demeter
RF: Michael Tucker

SP: Dick Drago
SP: Clay Kirby
SP: Bob Shirley
SP: Aaron Sele
SP: Paul Maholm
RP: Alejandro Pena

Former minor leaguer with a fantastic name: Rusty Puffinbarger
Beneficiary of nepotism: Jonathan Schuerholz
   2. Dag Nabbit: secretary of the World Banana Forum Posted: June 25, 2013 at 06:37 AM (#4477301)
Baseball history item at THT notes that today is the 60th anniversary of the MLB debut of a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Can you guess who it is before checking the link for the answer?
   3. AndrewJ Posted: June 25, 2013 at 06:52 AM (#4477304)
The starting second baseman and shortstop combined for a total of three career hits.

Liar, liar.

They actually had five career hits.
   4. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 25, 2013 at 07:56 AM (#4477316)
My guess for [2] was way off. Wrong league, wrong color, wrong part of the field. At least they both batted from the same side.
   5. zempf Posted: June 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM (#4477520)
Just saw on Twitter that Carlos Marmol got DFA'd.
   6. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: June 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM (#4477529)
Yeah, not a surprise but I had never given up hope he could harness that slider again. He still has some wicked movement but just can't find the strike zone.
   7. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: June 25, 2013 at 01:11 PM (#4477550)
Just saw on Twitter that Carlos Marmol got DFA'd.

This ties in with the fact that Daniel Bard also celebrates his birthday today. Not a day to be a hard throwing right-hander.

So last night I was coaching a little league game. We had some lightning and league rules require a 30 minute stoppage after visible lightning (evidently lightning and metal bats are bad). Anyway we were chatting with the kids in the dugout while we waited and they (as ten year olds do) started peppering me with questions. "Where do you live", "how old are you", "do you have any kids" etc...and finally they got to "are you married?" When I said "no" they were astounded. I didn't think that answer would be so shocking but about 5 or 6 of the kids literally took a step back in surprise, one kid's jaw dropped in comical cartoon style. It was very funny.
   8. zempf Posted: June 25, 2013 at 01:47 PM (#4477575)
While I'm noting things I've seen on Twitter, this just popped up in my feed: https://twitter.com/WaterlooAlex/status/349580567244832769 -- looking for a baseball analytics guy (for what, I don't know, but something someone might be able to make a few bucks from).
   9. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 25, 2013 at 03:38 PM (#4477660)
i have no idea how likely either of these things are, but there are rumors that the phillies could be able to get jurickson profar and nick castellanos in trades for cliff lee and jonathan papelbon. if that's true and the phillies could put together a core of brown, profar, castellanos and maikel franco, that would be shockingly outstanding.
   10. zempf Posted: June 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM (#4477697)
Either one of those things would be amazing, especially Papelbon (who has blown 4 of his last 5 save opportunities, "poor fundamentals" my ass). I would imagine the Phillies would have to pick up a good chunk of the salaries owed to either one of those guys, but they could definitely afford it.
   11. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 25, 2013 at 04:47 PM (#4477723)
(who has blown 4 of his last 5 save opportunities, "poor fundamentals" my ass)
interestingly, in those 5 games (in which he blew 4 saves), he's allowed all of 3 earned runs.
   12. spike Posted: June 25, 2013 at 05:09 PM (#4477749)
Also 2 HR, 7R and a .318/.400/.591 slash line in 5 ip though.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 25, 2013 at 07:00 PM (#4477811)
Speaking of...

Game of the day (yesterday): Padres 4, Phillies 3 (10).

Chase Utley singled with one out in the first against Eric Stults. It took the Padres 4 innings just to catch up to that accomplishment. Meanwhile, in the second, Delmon Young singled, John Mayberry Jr. hit into a force and stole second, and Carlos Ruiz singled him home, also taking third on a throwing error before being left there by Cliff Lee. But Lee kept San Diego hitless through 3 (he allowed a walk, but cancelled it with a double play), and Carlos Quentin's fourth-inning single was countered when the Phils scored again, this time on a Mayberry double, a Ruiz single, and a Jimmy Rollins sac fly.

San Diego put together two hits in the fifth, a Kyle Blanks single and a Yasmani Grandal double, but they were separated by a double play, so no damage was done. Stults himself doubled to lead off the sixth, but was eventually stranded at third. The Phils tried again in the seventh on singles by Mayberry and Ruiz (they sure had good days, didn't they?), but failed to capitalize; the Padres got hits by Chase Headley and Blanks in the bottom of the inning, and similarly left them on.

Stults was pulled to start the eighth, and Tommy Layne promptly gave up a solo homer to Utley, making it a 3-0 game. Nick Vincent came in to retire the next three Phillies, and Lee set the Padre hitters down in order in the bottom of the inning. Brad Brach worked around Mayberry's third hit in the ninth to keep it a 3-0 game.

The bottom of the ninth started with a single by Quentin and a double by Headley; that brought the tying run to the plate and Jonathan Papelbon to the mound in Lee's place. The new pitcher's first pitch was lined into center by Blanks for a two-run single. Jesus Guzman was hit by a pitch to put the tying run in scoring position, but Grandal then hit into a double play, which advanced the tying run to third but also (obviously) prevented the possibility of a sac fly. Then, with Mark Kotsay at the plate, Ruiz allowed one of Papelbon's pitches to slip away for a passed ball that tied the game.

Luke Gregerson allowed a leadoff hit to Rollins in the tenth; he took third on an Utley flyout+error, but Gregerson and Joe Thatcher combined to keep him there. In the bottom of the inning, Justin de Fratus retired the first Padre hitter, but then walked Chris Denorfia, plunked Quentin, walked Headley to load the bases, and allowed a walkoff single by Blanks.

Whatever other damage you're crediting to Papelbon, you can also add in two inherited runners scored (though admittedly, second and third with nobody out is not an ideal situation to come into). Not that I'm complaining personally, as it was nice that baseball managed to produce at least one blown late-inning lead even though there were only 4 games yesterday.
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 25, 2013 at 08:41 PM (#4477863)
Game of the day (1977): Astros 6, Giants 5 (11). Future Astro Bob Knepper against... future ex-Astro Dan Larson.

The game started with a standard issue lesson about sample sizes, as the highly mediocre Larson retired the Giants in order in the first, and the pretty good Knepper was roughed up, to the tune of singles by Wilbur Howard and Enos Cabell, a walk to Joe Ferguson, and a Bob Watson bases loaded triple. Larson allowed a hit in the top of the second, then picked up one of his own in the bottom of the inning; neither led to any scoring. Knepper matched Larson's single in the top of the third before allowing a Watson double and an Art Howe single in the bottom half; again, no runs scored. The same could not be said about the top of the fourth, in which Derrel Thomas walked and Darrell Evans homered to end Larson's shutout. Gary Thomasson, Willie McCovey, and (two outs later) Marc Hill then singled to tie the game at 3.

After a scoreless fourth by Knepper, Bill Madlock gave the Giants their first lead of the game with a leadoff homer in the fifth; Houston tied it right back up when Bob Watson went yard in the bottom of the inning. Gene Pentz, who had replaced Larson shortly after Madlock's homer, notched a scoreless sixth, as did Knepper. With one out in the seventh, Thomas walked, Evans singled him to third, and Thomasson brought him in with a go-ahead sac fly, making it a 5-4 game; a pair of walks (intentional to Willie McCovey, otherwise to Jack Clark) loaded the bases before Pentz eluded further damage by getting Rob Andrews to fly out.

Knepper set the Astros down 1-2-3 in the seventh. Pentz allowed a leadoff single to Hill, who was then replaced by pinch runner Mike Sadek (who was also Hill's backup behind the plate). Sadek was promptly caught stealing, which is (a) entertaining, since he's a pinch runner, (b) entertaining, since he's a catcher, and (c) the only time he was caught stealing in his career (which isn't as big a deal as it sounds like; his career was less than 1000 PA and included a grand total of 6 steals). Pentz later allowed Madlock to reach on a K/WP, but didn't let him score.

Joe Ferguson led off the eighth by reaching on an Andrews error, which had a number of results. It ended the day for Knepper, which makes you wonder why he hit for himself in the top of the inning if he wasn't even going to be allowed to pitch through something that wasn't his fault. It also brought Cesar Cedeno in to pinch-run; with Randy Moffitt on the mound, Cedeno stole second, and scored the tying run on Watson's single. Art Gardner ran for Watson and took second on a sac bunt, then watched both Howe and Julio Gonzalez draw walks behind him to load the bases. Ken Boswell hit for Pentz, Gary Lavelle replaced Moffitt on the mound, and the Astros turned to Craig Cacek as a second pinch hitter; the exchange turned out in San Francisco's favor, as Cacek hit into a 5-2-3 double play to end the inning.

Joe Sambito came in to pitch for Houston in the ninth; oddly, he took over the #5 spot in the batting order even though the #9 spot had just ended the previous inning. Sambito allowed a Thomasson single, which McCovey followed with a double play, and Lavelle worked a perfect ninth to force extras. Sambito retired the Giants in order in the tenth. In the bottom of the inning, Ed Herrmann led off with a single, but was promptly caught stealing second; having learned his lesson from this misadventure, he never attempted another steal in his career (also, he was a backup catcher with about a year left in the majors). Sambito grounded out, but Jim Fuller made it to second on an error; after an intentional pass to Howe, Gonzalez grounded back to the mound to end the inning.

Sambito was spotless again in the top of the eleventh. Tommy Toms (really, Tommy Toms's parents?) recorded the first out in the bottom of the inning, but then walked Howard, gave up a single to Cabell, and yielded a double to Jose Cruz that brought home the winning run.

All right... raise your hand if you noticed that Bob Watson hit for the cycle. Not only that, but his 4 hits and 5 RBI both tied career highs (which, if my cursory game log exam is correct, remained career highs through the completion of his MLB service time). He also drove in every run the Astros scored in regulation, with the RBI coming on three plays that all either tied the game or gave his team the lead.

And with all that, they still gave his spot in the order to the pitcher to start the ninth.
   15. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: June 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM (#4478032)
Going into Back to the Future, I thought the worst acting performance I’d ever see in my life would be Lea Thompson’s in Red Dawn. Boy was I wrong. I could not conceive of a universe in which Lea Thompson could be worse than she was in Red Dawn. But she’s full of surprises, like Ruben Amaro or an incontinent dog.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.