Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-26-2014

Milwaukee Journal, June 26, 1914:

The baseball fans of Washington will probably hereafter enjoy a supply of cool drinking water, furnished by spigots throughout the local ball park, thanks to a bill introduced by Representative Howard of Georgia…
Mr. Howard is himself a baseball fan, but has no taste for soda pop. For a time he was able to get drinking water from one hydrant at the Washington ball park, but finally the soft drink interests broke the handle off the faucet.

In other words, the pump didn’t work because the vandals stole the handle.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:07 AM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:10 AM (#4736017)
Heckuva Birthday Team today. If you'd prefer not to use Brown almost entirely on the basis of his Negro American League career, Babe Herman shifts to RF and Chris Shelton takes over at first base.

C: Jason Kendall
1B: Babe Herman
2B: The other Luis Gonzalez
3B: Debs Garms
SS: Derek Jeter
LF: Topsy Hartsel
CF: Bill Robinson
RF: Willard Brown

SP: Howie Pollet
SP: Elmer Ponder
SP: Ren Deagle
SP: Henry Schmidt
SP: Elmer Singleton
RP: Mike Myers

Designated Malcontent: Elijah Dukes
Drafted by the Rockies, chose football and/or dog fighting instead: Michael Vick
   2. Random Transaction Generator Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:27 AM (#4736021)
As a teenager, when I was starting to learn about baseball history, for a while I got confused between Babe Ruth and Babe Herman. I knew that the all-time great's last name was Ruth, but I also knew that his full name was George Herman Ruth, and whenever I saw Babe Herman's name in a story (since he played around the same time) I would sometimes think they were referring to Ruth by some mashed up version of his nickname and his middle name.
   3. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: June 26, 2014 at 08:33 AM (#4736026)
When I was a kid, I had a friend who insisted that Steve Carlton and Carlton Fisk were the same guy.
   4. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:48 AM (#4736114)
Drafted by the Rockies, chose football and/or dog fighting instead: Michael Vick

Huh, I never knew that. The Rockies do like their quarterbacks. Todd Helton was a QB at Tennessee, Seth Smith at Ole Miss, and Kyle Parker, who made his major league debut a few days ago, was the starting QB as a freshman at Clemson.
   5. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM (#4736172)
I knew that the all-time great's last name was Ruth, but I also knew that his full name was George Herman Ruth, and whenever I saw Babe Herman's name in a story (since he played around the same time) I would sometimes think they were referring to Ruth by some mashed up version of his nickname and his middle name.

This is easy - one of them is the all-time leader in a major offensive category* and one of the most entertaining players to ever play the game, and the other guy hit a lot of home runs.

* OK, perhaps cycles hit is a tier down, but its stature is elevated by the man who holds the distinction. When I'm putting together my all-time favorite team, that Babe is somewhere in the starting lineup.
   6. Batman Posted: June 26, 2014 at 11:23 AM (#4736260)
When I was a kid, somebody tried to tell me Bo Jackson the football player was the same guy as Bo Jackson the baseball player. Of course, that girl is dead now.
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 26, 2014 at 05:17 PM (#4736819)
The Game of 6/25/84 pitted a 38-year-old pitcher who was still good against a 27-year-old who wasn't good yet, but would be later. It had one team get a remarkable number of chances with runners in scoring position and do an equally remarkable job of not converting them, and the other team get a career-high in hits from one of their six players with multi-hit games, plus an excellent effort from their closer.
   8. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 26, 2014 at 07:09 PM (#4736920)
The Game of 6/25/14 was not the no-hitter (at least according to my system; I will not dispute arguments to the contrary). It was, however, an extra-inning showdown between leadoff men who were both excellent, and a game in which the losing team performed some remarkable feats of unsuccessfully reckless baserunning.
   9. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 26, 2014 at 09:40 PM (#4737070)
P-I request for tomorrow's 1984 GotD if anyone is around who subscribes: Most starts of over 9 innings since 1980.
   10. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 26, 2014 at 10:45 PM (#4737126)
Never mind, think I was able to reverse-engineer what I needed from another search I asked for a while back.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
phredbird
for his generous support.