Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, June 02, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-2-2014

Pittsburgh Press, June 2, 1914:

The automobile craze is blamed for the poor showing of the Cleveland Naps, the American league tail-enders, in a sport page editorial by the sporting editor of the Cleveland Press today. Speaking of Birmingham’s men he says:

“They drive to the baseball park in automobiles; drive home in them, and spend their spare time touring the city streets. When the auto fever infected the Naps, the club began to lose its effectiveness. That was last year. The craze spread—every player secured a car—and the team began to go back.”

Man, imagine how good Yasiel Puig would be without a car.

The real reason the 1914 Naps were terrible is that they had a terrible roster. Joe Jackson was spectacular as always, Ray Chapman was good-not-great, but there was nothing else on the team. Nap Lajoie was 39 and over the hill, and the pitching rotation was (in order of games started) Willie Mitchell-Rip Hagerman-Bill Steen-Guy Morton.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:09 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, misplaced blame

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:19 AM (#4717169)
I'm not going to say today's Birthday Team is bad. I'll just say that Neifi Perez is third all-time in career hits among players born on June 2.

Nice bullpen, though.

C: Jack O'Connor
1B: Raul Ibanez
2B: Horace Clarke
3B: Jerry Lumpe
SS: Neifi Perez
LF: Charlie Jones
CF: Bob Saverine
RF: Darnell Coles

SP: Larry Jackson
SP: Jim Maloney
SP: Sloppy Thurston
SP: Tim Stauffer
SP: Reid Cornelius
RP: Mike Stanton
RP: Bryan Harvey

Manager: Gene Michael
   2. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:38 AM (#4717172)
I'm sure the "transporter craze" will be blamed for the fact the 2214 Cleveland Indians suck.
   3. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:48 AM (#4717175)
Dan, out of the players listed, unless my cognitive powers are out of whack today, Neifi is #2 in hits. I thought Lumpe (Nice handle, BTW) and Clarke both would have beaten him, but NOOO, somehow Neifi got over 5500 PAs to accumulate enough hits to pass both.
   4. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:53 AM (#4717177)
Just Neifichiro being Neifichiro.

Jack O'Connor is #2 in career hits with 1418, 48 more than our hero in the middle infield. Actually, O'Connor was a lot like Neifi: Couldn't hit, never even fluked into a good offensive season, but just kept playing...and playing...and playing.

O'Connor appeared in 1452 career games, the last of which came 20 years after his most recent triple-digit OPS+ season.

edit: O'Connor had one good year, a 137 OPS+ in the 1890 American Association. Not coincidentally, that was the year the Players League took all the good players from the established leagues.
   5. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: June 02, 2014 at 08:59 AM (#4717180)
wonder if the brewers will now experience a june swoon

hoping NOT
   6. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 02, 2014 at 09:03 AM (#4717183)
I'm not sure the Crew's bullpen can continue to do what they've been doing (Will Smith has a quadruple-digit ERA+), but otherwise I don't see a ton of guys playing way over their heads. Lohse and Lucroy will probably come back to earth a bit, Garza and Aramis will probably improve a bit.

If they stay healthy, I think they'll be okay. But that's just me - I've only seen them 3-4 times this year.
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 02, 2014 at 09:20 AM (#4717190)
Games of:

5/30/14 - an extra-inning game which was highlighted by some relatively unlikely catcher production and the fact that none of the pitchers who haven't started a game this year gave up a run.

5/31/14 - a narrowly superior extra-inning game of the same length between the same two teams, in which one of the teams got the winning run on base five times in six innings as compared to once for their opponents, but the once was the time that was actually cashed in. Also, there's a brief comparison of the '84 and '14 seasons through the end of May.

5/31/84 - a pitcher's duel that resulted in a complete game that would never happen in 2014, plus a bonus glance at how the pitcher's career turned out afterward (and what his team was able to get for him).

And finally, 5/30/84 - one of my favorite games of 1984 so far. It includes a terrible player being responsible for a walkoff for the second day in a row (with the walkoffs being wildly different in type), and that's not even the best part - it also had an 8-inning relief appearance from the pitcher who allowed the walkoff in which he blew two leads, but also had the hit that gave his team the second lead. Even that's not arguably the best part - is there any way to P-I search for walkoffs in which the hitter responsible for them was a worse hitter than the pitcher who allowed them?
   8. Chris Fluit Posted: June 02, 2014 at 09:55 AM (#4717209)
I wonder if the Rockies will pull out of their May tailspin.
   9. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 02, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4717275)
In the Game of 6/1/84, DWIGHT GOODEN. Also, the other team established a bit of a blueprint for winning a start by DWIGHT GOODEN.
   10. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: June 02, 2014 at 11:22 AM (#4717288)
A paper just appeared in the Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions, entitled "Physical activity completed when young has residual bone benefits at 94 years of age: a within-subject controlled case study". Here is the journal's table of contents; I think it's free.

I don't know much about musculoskeletal-neuronal interactions, but I was able to find at least one left-handed pitcher, who retired at age 39, and was 94 years old during the time they might have done this study. Although there isn't a lot of information out there about him. And no way did he play in 1776 career games. He was a starting pitcher!
   11. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: June 02, 2014 at 12:58 PM (#4717391)
Astros promote 1B Jon Singleton and sign him to a long-term deal worth anywhere from $10-35 million.
   12. Rennie's Tenet Posted: June 02, 2014 at 01:25 PM (#4717407)
Birthday boy Darnell Coles, besides being a superprospect, was part of a saga of Pirate moves in the late 80s that always ended up with Bobby Bonilla back at third base.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 02, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4717429)
The Game of 6/1/14 was THE SAME TWO TEAMS AGAIN. At least the road team bothered to find a starter who had filled the role more than 5 times in his MLB career for this one. Also, unsurprisingly, these two teams are now closing in on the top of the excitement list for the year.
   14. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 02, 2014 at 01:59 PM (#4717451)
Astros promote 1B Jon Singleton and sign him to a long-term deal worth anywhere from $10-35 million.
A multi-year deal for someone with 0 days of MLB service time? Very interesting. Apparently it's 5 years guaranteed followed by 3 team options. That's a unique contract. Can't wait to see the details. I wonder if part of the negotiation process was "Sign this deal, and we'll call you up immediately."
   15. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: June 02, 2014 at 02:06 PM (#4717459)
14 - likely
rumor has been that pit has been trying to do this w polanco
early reaction is that this is a steal for houston

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.