Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 6-3-2014

Pittsburgh Press, June 3, 1914:

Howard Ehmke, a 19-year-old youth who left high school this year to play baseball for the Los Angeles team, heads the list of pitchers in the Pacific Coast league to date, with seven straight victories to his credit. Besides these seven games won, Ehmke has been sent in to finish a half dozen others, and a total of 13 runs for the season has been charged against him.

I love stumbling across early newspaper accounts of players who would eventually become historically significant.

I’m sure you know the story, but in case you don’t…Ehmke threw only 12.2 innings between July 27, 1929 and the end of the season. Connie Mack had a different assignment for him: Scout the Cubs in preparation for a potential World Series matchup. Mack stunned everybody, sent Ehmke to the mound for game one of the ‘29 World Series, and the pitcher struck out 13 batters in a complete game win.

Ehmke appeared in three games the next season, allowed 22 hits in 10 innings, and his career was over.

166 wins, a World Series ring, and a legendary pitching performance say it was a pretty good career.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 03, 2014 at 08:17 AM | 18 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, howard ehmke

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 03, 2014 at 08:27 AM (#4717891)
Solid position players on today's Birthday Team. They'll need them, given that pitching staff. Yordano Ventura is solidly in the rotation despite having (count 'em) two career wins.

As Der-K mentioned last year, it's really weird to have a three-time All Star on the bench in favor of a guy who only played 72 career games in the field, but the Pronk does have ~46% more WAR than Gentile.

C: Johnny Bassler
1B: Travis Hafner
2B: Nelson Liriano
3B: Steve Lyons
SS: Aaron Ledesma
LF: John Dobbs
CF: Carl Everett
RF: Jim Dwyer

SP: Wild Bill Widner
SP: Lucas Harrell
SP: Bryan Rekar
SP: Ed Glynn
SP: Yordano Ventura
RP: Ron Keller

Scatter-armed minor leaguer: Steve Dalkowski
Unfortunately confined to bench duty: Jim Gentile
Fun Names: Woody Wagenhorst, Chappie Geygan, Urbane Pickering
   2. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: June 03, 2014 at 09:32 AM (#4717905)
scooter gennett 102 OPS plus
krhis davis 111 OPS plus
wily peralta 4.02 FIP/69 innings pitched as regular rotation starter

worst minor league system in baseball

//gentle sarcasm
   3. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:33 AM (#4717990)
Travis Hafner--North Dakota's all-time leading home run hitter.
   4. Batman Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:40 AM (#4717999)
North Dakota's second all-time leading home run hitter will be one of the best players on tomorrow's birthday team, and the fifth all-time might be on Thursday's team.
   5. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:43 AM (#4718002)
roger maris?
   6. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: June 03, 2014 at 11:48 AM (#4718009)
Darrin Erstad? Phil Jackson? Lawrence Welk?
   7. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: June 03, 2014 at 01:16 PM (#4718077)
News from John Brattain's family. His sister left this comment today (it's the only comment in the piece):

Hi all. I’m not sure how many of you will actually see this as it is an old thread, but I thought I would give you an update on John’s family. I am his sister. John’s eldest daughter is married to a wonderful man, and working with the deaf. Her husband also is a signer and works with the deaf as well. John’s youngest daughter has made him a granddaughter with a beautiful little girl. She was married, but her husband has left her. Our father died a year ago, and a week before he died, we had all the family together for a dinner party and had a family portrait done at that time. Our brother John is sorely missed, especially when the whole family comes together. John would have been a proud papa.
Signing off in his manner
Best Regards
– Terri Cutts
   8. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 03, 2014 at 01:19 PM (#4718082)
(Something witty about David Samson being your son-in-law.)

Best Regards,
Dan

In all seriousness, it's great to get an update on John's family. I miss him dearly.
   9. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 03, 2014 at 01:21 PM (#4718085)
By the way, North Dakota's #2 home run hitter is Erstad. Maris was born in Hibbing, Minnesota.

This guy might have the most hits of anyone from Hibbing.
   10. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: June 03, 2014 at 01:28 PM (#4718095)
As a teenage baseball fan growing up in North Dakota in the late 90s/early 2000s, I have to say, it was ton of fun watching Erstad and Hafner turn into all-star caliber players.

1998 was sort of a dream season--Erstad played in the All-Star game, and fellow North Dakotan Rick Helling came from nowhere to win 20 games for the Rangers.
   11. PreservedFish Posted: June 03, 2014 at 02:16 PM (#4718165)
North Dakota's second all-time leading home run hitter will be one of the best players on tomorrow's birthday team, and the fifth all-time might be on Thursday's team.

Does North Dakota have some sort of strictly defined seasonal mating ritual?
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: June 03, 2014 at 02:24 PM (#4718176)
Gotta get it done in September. Any later, and it's too cold.
   13. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 03, 2014 at 02:25 PM (#4718177)
This guy might have the most hits of anyone from Hibbing.

Dan, you should have gone with this picture.
   14. Perry Posted: June 03, 2014 at 03:29 PM (#4718260)
Dan, you should have gone with this picture.

I wonder if he bought it, or just checked the stats on his fantasy guys and then put it back on the rack.

15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 03, 2014 at 05:06 PM (#4718331)
The Game of 6/2/84 was very, very good - 3 rallies to tie from the eventual losing team, plus career highs in hits from one noteworthy player on each side (including a guy who had the same total 14 times without exceeding it), and one of the best outfields of the decade hitting a home run each.
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 03, 2014 at 07:04 PM (#4718397)
The Game of 6/2/14 did not exactly have a score typical of the games that get this spot. What it did have, however, was a career day from one of its players, a respectable amount of drama in the early going, and a complete lack of competition from the other games played yesterday.
   17. vortex of dissipation Posted: June 03, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4718401)
The Game of 6/2/14 did not exactly have a score typical of the games that get this spot. What it did have, however, was a career day from one of its players, a respectable amount of drama in the early going, and a complete lack of competition from the other games played yesterday.

Huh. I looked at that and thought, "Yeah, Kyle Seager went four for four with two triples, a double and a home run, and the Mariners broke open a 2-2 game late before running away with it. Must be that one." And I was wrong...
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: June 03, 2014 at 07:36 PM (#4718405)
Huh. I looked at that and thought, "Yeah, Kyle Seager went four for four with two triples, a double and a home run, and the Mariners broke open a 2-2 game late before running away with it. Must be that one." And I was wrong...

Heh. That was actually the second-place game, probably within the method's margin of error.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Forsch 10 From Navarone (Dayn)
for his generous support.