Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 25, 2011

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-25-2011

Nashua Telegraph, July 25, 1911:

The control of the Boston National baseball club passed into the hands of President William Hepburn Russell Monday.  The announcement that neither “Ned” Hanlon of Baltimore, Md., nor anyone else, can buy the club, followed the transfer of stock.

Baltimore will not obtain a franchise in the league without precipitating a baseball war between the leagues, according to Edward Barrow, president of the Eastern league, who issued a statement criticizing certain members of the National league.  President Barrow said “he was feeling pretty sore” over the manner in which Baltimore was induced to believe that it might get the Boston National league franchise.

Ah, the good ol’ days, when the Eastern League could keep a straight face while threatening the National League.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: July 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: July 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM (#3884609)
Elsewhere in the news 100 years ago...

* The Pirates are gloating after getting Minneapolis pitcher Marty O'Toole for the (at the time) astronomical price of $22,500. Pittsburgh owner Barney Dreyfuss says never before and never again has there been or will there be that high a price placed on a minor league pitcher. Dreyfuss is also negotiating to buy Minneapolis catcher Billy Kelly for around $10,000. O'Toole was out of the majors by 1914, having posted a career record of 27-36, 3.21 (96 ERA+). Kelly played a grand total of 104 MLB games, putting up a line of .290/.312/.362 (88 OPS+).

* The Pittsburgh Press advertises an upcoming (fiction) story about a baseball pitcher who hurt his arm, had an ostrich tendon grafted into his elbow, and came back better than Marty O'Toole. Oddly prescient on a couple levels.

* The Giants call BS on the Pirates, saying they already bought O'Toole for $15,000.

* P.S. Fresh was fined $5 for allegedly popping Earl Wylie in the mouth. Wylie "asked Mrs. Fresh to attend a baseball game with him...play lawn tennis with him [and] told her she was an exceptional woman when she refused to do so." There's no indication that P.S. Fresh is related to Doug E. Fresh.

* Some great writing in the Mansfield Daily Shield:
Considerable merriment his always afforded to fan and fanette whenever "Cyrano" Morgan, the Philadelphia Americans' veteran pitcher, steps toward the plate to make his bow as a batter. Cy usually bats with one foot at the water bucket and the other out of the grounds, and some of his swings look as funny as a giraffe trying to play croquet.
That's ridiculous. Giraffes don't even have thumbs.
   2. Good cripple hitter Posted: July 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM (#3884616)
Woke up this morning to find that there was a new post by Dave Cameron called When Statistics Are Not Helpful up at UssMariner. I thought it was just a response to "The Problem With Sabermetrics" piece recently posted at Lookout Landing, but instead it's says that he's been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and he's going in for chemo today.

I know he's not exactly loved around these parts, but his Mariners blog was one of my gateways to Sabr thinking, and it produced a lot of excellent pieces by both Cameron and DMZ. This is terrible news that I was completely unprepared for, and I hope he makes a full recovery.
   3. Mike Emeigh Posted: July 25, 2011 at 12:48 PM (#3884624)
The Pirates are gloating after getting Minneapolis pitcher Marty O'Toole for the (at the time) astronomical price of $22,500.

The tragedy of young pitchers...

O'Toole got hurt very early on in his career, and it didn't help that he came on board at the same time as the rest of the team was getting old. His money pitch was a spitball, which did put a lot of stress on his arm. He went back to the minors after the Pirates released him in 1914 and put in a couple of pretty good seasons with Omaha, but was through at age 29.

-- MWE
   4. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: July 25, 2011 at 01:14 PM (#3884640)
Post 2:

Agreed!

Best of luck to Mr. Cameron
   5. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: July 25, 2011 at 02:43 PM (#3884714)
New article at THT: 10 things I didn't know about all-time franchise records.

It includes answers to trivia questions like: 1) what's the only club whose all-time cumulative franchise record has always been over .500? 2) Which two have always been under .500? and 3) What five clubs have set all-time highs or lows so far in 2011? (3 set highs, 2 set lows).
   6. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: July 25, 2011 at 02:56 PM (#3884728)
Also up at THT, a historical piece, honoring that 70 years ago today, Lefty Grove won his 300th game.

Then comes a list of items celebrating their anniversary or "day-versary" including: a semi-pro player fanning 42 in a 23-inning game, a pair of great performances from the Big Train, Roberto Clemente hitting the coolest home run of all-time, one game featuring both Yogi Berra's best one-game WPA performance and Al Kaline's worst one-game WPA score, 50 years since Roger Maris's best day, the final game of Bob Gibson's greatest stretch ever (and arguably the best stretch by any pitcher ever), Billy WIlliams ruins a Phil Niekro perfect game, the greatest baserunner of all-time is out advancing from first to third on a ground rule double, an entire team leaves teh field w/ only two outs, and the worst national anthem ever.
   7. Guapo Posted: July 25, 2011 at 03:59 PM (#3884761)
New article at THT: 10 things I didn't know about all-time franchise records.

Terrific article, Nabbit.
   8. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: July 25, 2011 at 04:31 PM (#3884786)
Guapo - much obliged. Thanks.
   9. JJ1986 Posted: July 25, 2011 at 05:32 PM (#3884788)
I have a question I need help solving. I vividly remember a player (position player) at some point in the last few years being traded once to a contending team midseason and then being traded again later that summer when the team dropped out of contention. Running through records, I can only ID Matt Lawton in 2005 (and I remember the player being better) and Cliff Floyd all the way back in 2002. Did this happen more recently or am I remembering something from 9 years ago (or more)?
   10. Gary Truth Serum Posted: July 25, 2011 at 07:21 PM (#3884862)
Not sure this answers the question in #9 but in 2004 the Astros traded for Carlos Beltran and tehn played so badly that there were trade rumors involving trading Beltran again. But then Houston got red hot and made the issue moot.
   11. TerpNats Posted: July 26, 2011 at 01:57 AM (#3885229)
Interesting in that Hanlon was trying to purchase one of the 1890s Orioles' chief rivals, with whom they had a tight pennant race in 1897. Had the Boston NL team moved to Baltimore in the early teens, who knows how baseball history might have changed. Perhaps that's the major-league franchise Babe Ruth starts with, rather than ends with.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.