Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-11-2018

New York Evening World, July 11, 1918:

Neither President John K. Tener of the National League nor Garry Herrmann, Chairman of the National Baseball Commission, to-day would discuss further the acute baseball situation brought about by President Tener’s statement that he was through with the National Commission unless its decision in the Scott Perry case [awarding Perry to the Boston Braves instead of the Philadelphia Athletics] was enforced.
“There is nothing more to be said,” said President Tener. “I have stated my position after long and serious consideration, and it is now distinctly up to the other fellows.”

Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger, July 11, 1918:

Regarding the stand taken by President Tener of the National League not to act with the National Commission on any matter involving the American League, Connie Mack said that this would make no difference to baseball and that the game would go on just the same.

Washington Herald, July 11, 1918:

Connie Mack agitated the impending baseball war situation considerably by shoving Scott Perry out to the peak [in Philadelphia yesterday] to stop Detroit in the sixth game of the series with the Tigers, and he stopped them in highly effective fashion and won, 5 to 1.

Connie Mack gives zero Fs. I’ve mentioned this before, but the Perry imbroglio was a huge deal in 1918. His minor league club sold Perry on option to Boston, the Braves returned him, and then the minor league club turned around and sold Perry to Philadelphia. The National Commission sided with the Braves, but Mack took it to court and won an injunction.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM (#5708246)
Not a ton of star power on today's Birthday Team. Ed Ott still leads the league in shortest name.

Billy Ashley is interesting to me - if you look at his career numbers, you can see Rob Deer in there. Deer had a career line of .220/.324/.442, Ashley was .233/.307/.409. Both had huge power, both struck out all the time, neither was much use with a glove. Deer was clearly the better player, of course, but it's not like they were light years apart from each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my team never gave Ashley a couple thousand plate appearances to find out what he could do, but I wonder if he could have been Rob Deer v2.0 if he had an extended shot at a big league job.

C: Ed Ott (5.88 WAR)
1B: Bob Allison (33.98 WAR)
2B: Milt Stock (22.4 WAR)
3B: Pop Schriver (8.62 WAR)
SS: Dick Gray (0.96 WAR)
LF: George Binks (0.64 WAR)
CF: Jimmy Slagle (15.56 WAR)
RF: Harry Wolter (8.24 WAR)

SP: Andy Ashby (21.00 WAR)
SP: Vito Tamulis (7.79 WAR)
SP: Joey McLaughlin (4.53 WAR)
SP: Donne Wall (3.30 WAR)
SP: Stan Thomas (2.15 WAR)
RP: Javier Lopez (8.08 WAR)

Owner: Percy Haughton
Umpire: Mark Carlson
Prospect flameout: Billy Ashley (-2.13 WAR)
-6.16 career WAR: Jack Heidemann (-6.16 WAR)
Fun names: Verle Tiefenthaler, Binky Jones, Yorman Bazardo
   2. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM (#5708248)
Apologies for the lack of dugout over the past couple days - I was out of town dealing with a family thing. (I know, priorities, right?) Things should be back to normal now.
   3. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:17 AM (#5708250)
Apologies for the lack of dugout over the past couple days - I was out of town dealing with a family thing. (I know, priorities, right?) Things should be back to normal now.

No need to apologize. You provide a cool service for free. Thank you!

Hope all is well with your family.
   4. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM (#5708265)

A likely story. I know that's just an excuse to gyp me of my birthday team. So I'll ;post it:

C - Johnny Giovatella
1B - Lee Stevens
2B - Bobby Lowe
SS - Gene Alley
3B - Bob Bailor
LF/MGR - Hal McRae
CF - Andre Dawson
RF - Marty Cordova

A solid, if mostly unspectacular lineup. Could be a contender with some decent pitching. Alas:

SP - Johnny Niggling
SP - Rich Hand
SP - Ad Liska
SP - Hal McKain
SP - Jesse Foppert
RP - Buddy Groom

Not the worst pitching staff I have seen, but it's up there.

Not THAT one - John Glenn
Someone else who doesn't live in the restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
   5. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM (#5708273)
Prospect flameout: Billy Ashley (-2.13 WAR)
Ashley's top prospect status was largely due to people not understanding that you're pretty likely to post big numbers in Albuquerque's park while repeating AAA, right?
   6. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:05 AM (#5708279)
Ashley's top prospect status was largely due to people not understanding that you're pretty likely to post big numbers in Albuquerque's park while repeating AAA, right?
Mostly, yeah. Along with him being 6'7" and an early draft pick who looked good in his uniform. In his defense, he did hit roughly .280/.350/.550 with Pawtucket and Toledo after he left the Dodger system, so Ashley was at the very least a Quad-A star.
   7. Tom Nawrocki Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM (#5708296)
In 1918, Scott Perry would go on to have the distinction of being a 20-game winner with a last-place team.
   8. mathesond Posted: July 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5708315)
I had no idea Joey Mclaughlin had been a starter - as a young'un I only knew him as a reliever for the Jays, who had a pretty miserable '83(?) season with some late losses. Clicked on the BBRef link and lo - he only started a dozen games in his career, including 10 with the 1980 Jays - he certainly didn't do anything to make my memory banks.
   9. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:43 PM (#5708350)
In 1918, Scott Perry would go on to have the distinction of being a 20-game winner with a last-place team.

And that was especially tough in 1918 when the season was short due to the war. First they announced it would only be 140 games, then it was shortened again on the fly because of backlash.

The A's played 130 games, Scott Perry made 36 starts, 8 relief appearances and went 20-19!

No other pitcher started more than 33.
   10. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5708360)
Joey McLaughlin was the guy with the '80sest of the '80s glasses, right? The kind that sh*thead hipsters wear ironically now.
   11. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:51 PM (#5708365)
I just had to explain who Mike Trout is to a co-worker who watches a ton of ESPN and SportsCenter.

I'm sad now.
   12. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5708370)
Tell your co-worker to quit wasting time with TWWL and tune to MLB Network instead*, like all the cool kids are doing.

* Provided there is no presence of Chris Russo and/or Reynolds or Byrnes aren't having yet another one of their interminable screaming fits.
   13. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:22 PM (#5708387)
Deer was clearly the better player, of course, but it's not like they were light years apart from each other.

The Pirates took Chad Hermansen with the their first pick some year or other, and I always thought he was kind of a poor man's Deer, could have been a 30-homer guy if played full time, with 200+ strikeouts. Maybe he was actually the poor man's Ashley?
   14. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:33 PM (#5708393)
Sounds like the average earner's Mark Reynolds.
   15. Batman Posted: July 11, 2018 at 01:53 PM (#5708410)
Ron Kittle was the itinerant sharecropper's Rob Deer.
   16. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 11, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5708462)
And also the landed gentryman's Brad Komminsk.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.