Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-15-2014

Pittsburgh Press, July 15, 1914:

A dispute over the color of uniforms is said to have a large part in the breaking up of the California State league, which has disbanded.
The freeholders of Modesto got up and declared themselves. The had had an independent team known as the Modesto Reds, which wore red uniforms; they put it in the state league and the uniforms were changed in color. If the State league backer would consent to Modesto’s team wearing red uniforms they would back the game; if not, by heck, they wouldn’t because there wasn’t no goshdanged good to their town in having a team that didn’t wear colors that were distinctly Modesto’s. The other towns wouldn’t agree to the red uniform proposition and the league was buried.

Eh, you can have a league without Modesto. Modesto is not that sweet.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:11 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, overreaction

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM (#4750573)
Another nondescript Birthday Team. McGann spent most of his career at 1B, but came up as a second sacker in 1896.

Four of the top six July 15 players in career hits (Hargrave, Clapp, Miguel Olivo, Kirt Manwaring) are catchers and the other two (McGann and Clendenon) are first basemen.

C: Bubbles Hargrave
1B: Donn Clendenon
2B: Dan McGann
3B: Scott Livingstone
SS: Wilson Delgado
LF/Manager: John Clapp
CF: Jake Powell
RF: Mike Shannon

SP: Pete Dowling
SP: Red Oldham
SP: James Baldwin
SP: Marion Fricano
SP: Fernando Nieve
RP: Enrique Romo

Negro Leagues Star: Bill Byrd
Not born on April 20, alas: Jung Bong
Beat Writer/Maury's Dad: Shirley Povich
   2. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM (#4750580)
The Indians and Rays are allegedly talking about David Price, and in the past the Rays have wanted Danny Salazar and Carlos Santana.

If Antonetti trades a 1B/3B/C with a career OPS+ of 126, who's locked down through 2017, and a pitcher with Salazar's upside in exchange for two months of David Price on a .500 ballclub, I may have a rage-induced aneurysm. You don't mortgage the future for a run at 86 wins.
   3. Gamingboy Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:28 AM (#4750582)
Ok I can get to bbtf on my phone or when using other wifi but can't at home due to dns server not found errors.. help
   4. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM (#4750588)
#2-- Just to clarify, they'd be getting David Price 16 months. So, maybe just a mild aneurysm for you.
   5. Randy Jones Posted: July 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM (#4750590)
Ok I can get to bbtf on my phone or when using other wifi but can't at home due to dns server not found errors.. help

Seems like a lot of people have been having similar issues with BBTF lately, so it may not be your DNS servers. However, you can change your network settings to use OpenDNS's servers or Google's DNS servers to try to fix the problem.

OpenDNS has instructions here. Or if you know how to change it already, their IP's are:

Google's public DNS servers are:
Can use the same instructions from the OpenDNS link above, just use the Google IP's instead of the OpenDNS IP's.
   6. BDC Posted: July 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4750604)
So I have been planning my annual crazy American road trip, and it looks like it will include getting to see Ranger games at Cleveland and Chicago (White Sox). Are there any in-or-around things not to be missed at either stadium (whatever corporate name they're calling them these days). Any to-die-for local craft beers or snack treats? :)

If all goes to plan it will be my first game at any incarnation of Sox Park, though I was born on the North Side and grew up going to Wrigley. Actually to Chicagoans that probably doesn't sound odd at all.
   7. Nasty Nate Posted: July 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM (#4750617)
#2-- Just to clarify, they'd be getting David Price 16 months. So, maybe just a mild aneurysm for you.

Also, I think Santana is pretty much a 1B going forward, so the aneurysm is getting milder and milder.
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM (#4750619)
Birthday first baseman Donn Clendenon was the Pirate first baseman of my youth. A lanky 6'4", it wasn't unusual for him to do a scissors split when receiving a throw from an infielder. I also seem to recall that he had fair success in a postseason at some point.

Enrique Romo threw 129 relief innings for the 1979 Pirates, and then drifted downward. He rung up a fluky 9-3 record in 1982, and then left Organized Baseball. How many guys go six games over .500 and then don't come back?
   9. kthejoker Posted: July 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM (#4750639)
Hey Dan have you ever done birthday month lineups?

10. Gamingboy Posted: July 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM (#4750666)
Seems like a lot of people have been having similar issues with BBTF lately, so it may not be your DNS servers. However, you can change your network settings to use OpenDNS's servers or Google's DNS servers to try to fix the problem.

OpenDNS has instructions here. Or if you know how to change it already, their IP's are:

Google's public DNS servers are:
Can use the same instructions from the OpenDNS link above, just use the Google IP's instead of the OpenDNS IP's.

I'll have to maybe try that. Hopefully Jim can get it fixed before that anyway.
   11. dr. scott Posted: July 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM (#4750672)
So I have been planning my annual crazy American road trip, and it looks like it will include getting to see Ranger games at Cleveland and Chicago (White Sox). Are there any in-or-around things not to be missed at either stadium (whatever corporate name they're calling them these days). Any to-die-for local craft beers or snack treats? :)

I don't know of any craft beer on the south side, and nothing is next to The Cell (a few great places on the north side), but about 20 minutes south of The Cell is 3-floyds brewery. I have not been there, but its very good beer. Also, another 2 hours north-east is Founders... which is really good stuff near grand rapids, mich. Just realized the New Chicago Lagunitas brewery is not far from the cell (5 miles). Have fun.
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 15, 2014 at 01:17 PM (#4750687)
Hey Dan have you ever done birthday month lineups?
Richard Barbieri did them over at the Hardball Times a couple years ago. Linky.
   13. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 15, 2014 at 01:30 PM (#4750705)
I think Santana is pretty much a 1B going forward, so the aneurysm is getting milder and milder.
3B didn't work out, but I suspect he'd still be catching if Yan Gomes hadn't hit .278/.326/.459 since the start of last season. Santana's not a great catcher, but he ain't Mike Piazza back there either.

Also, say what you will about the defensive spectrum and the relative ease with which MLB teams can find first basemen, but the Indians have had exactly one high-quality long-term first baseman in the past 30 years. Other than Thome, it's been a non-stop cavalcade of Garko, Broussard, LaPorta, Kotchman, Tabler, Upshaw, O'Brien...and on, and on. Even Swisher's been a giant pile of dogcrap.

Actually, first base has been such a hole for Cleveland over the past 114 years that Mike Hargrove (five seasons as the regular Indians 1B) is third all-time in games played at first for the Indians...and only a couple dozen games out of second.

I accept that none of this changes the fact that first baseman are demonstrably not that hard to replace, but that's why I've got such an aversion to trading Santana. I'm afraid they'll replace him with Lyle Overbay.
   14. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: July 15, 2014 at 01:36 PM (#4750711)
Bubbles Hargrave "won" a "batting title" in 1926, hitting .353 in 366 plate appearances.

The National League batting average leaderboard for that year is something else--the top 4 all had fewer than 400 plate appearances (and the first three are guys I've never heard of before--Bubbles, Cuckoo Christensen, and Earl Smith).
   15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: July 15, 2014 at 05:02 PM (#4750995)
The Game of 7/14/84 was yet another win for the most dominant team in baseball, and it was achieved in a way that makes it seem like they were just toying with the rest of the league at this point. Which... is not entirely inaccurate.
   16. BDC Posted: July 15, 2014 at 07:07 PM (#4751131)
Thanks, dr. scott! I'll look out for your suggestions.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Downtown Bookie
for his generous support.