Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-22-2014

Pittsburgh Press, July 22, 1914:

Pain and thoughts of injury disappeared when Guy Copeland, 22 years old, who had been injured in a ball game at Fifteenth st. [sic] and the Paseo, awoke from a semi-conscious condition and found himself in an undertaking shop, where he had been taken for treatment.
Copeland sprang from the table. It was too far to the door, and he plunged through a window, taking screen and all with him…Copeland forgot his aching head; he just kept on running…He finally was caught and the wound, which was not serious, was treated. “I thought they’d made a mistake and thought I was dead,” gasped Copeland.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 22, 2014 at 06:36 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 22, 2014 at 06:40 AM (#4755570)
After what seemed like weeks of unremarkable Birthday Teams, here's a our second consecutive good squad. They have an excellent pitching staff; Stieb was named to seven All-Star teams, Haines is in the Hall of Fame, Sanderson and Vogelsong have one All-Star Game each, and Lyle won a Cy Young Award.

C/Manager: George Gibson
1B: Mike Sweeney
2B: Tim Johnson
3B: Juan Uribe
SS: Jack Glasscock
LF: Cliff Johnson
CF: Doc Cramer
RF: Jim Rivera

SP: Jesse Haines
SP: Dave Stieb
SP: Scott Sanderson
SP: Elmer Knetzer
SP: Ryan Vogelsong
RP: Sparky Lyle
RP: Scot Shields

Owner: Drayton McLane
   2. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: July 22, 2014 at 07:31 AM (#4755574)
The Game of 7/21/84 had one team hit .250 with runners in scoring position, and their opponents hit .350 in more at bats... and the .250 hitting team still won. Also, a pair of fairly similar (at the time) players both had good days, which serves as an excuse to kind of compare them a little.
   3. Al Peterson Posted: July 22, 2014 at 08:34 AM (#4755585)
Dan I'm not sure who should be your 3rd basemen on the birthday team. Juan Uribe looks to have a March 22nd birthday.
   4. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 22, 2014 at 08:45 AM (#4755590)
Great catch, Al. I build the rosters from BB-Ref's "Players Born On..." pages and copied this one from last year's dugout - I wonder if his birthday "changed".

The third baseman should either be Denny Gonzalez or Frank Johnson, both of whom are bad. I'd probably pick Gonzalez, but there's no right answer.
   5. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 22, 2014 at 08:46 AM (#4755591)
Yep, Uribe's birthday changed. Or, at least, the White Sox changed his listed birthday back in 2005.

Weird.
   6. Rennie's Tenet Posted: July 22, 2014 at 08:59 AM (#4755596)
Birthday catcher George Gibson, career .236/.295/.312, was the Pirates' usual all time catcher for about 50 years. New birthday third baseman Denny Gonzalez was part of a nice group of fringe players the Pirates had in the middle/late eighties, including Tom Prince, Tommy Gregg, and Benny Distefano.
   7. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: July 22, 2014 at 09:00 AM (#4755597)
In other news, the 1901-02 Baltimore Orioles no longer exist.

War is peace! Freedom is slavery!
   8. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: July 22, 2014 at 10:04 AM (#4755636)
I was a one man Denny Gonzalez fan club for years - was convinced that he could produce decently if given a sustained shot in the bigs. Solid walk totals, some pop (including a 27 HR year in AAA the year he played at altitude - much of his US minor league time was spent in pitcher's parks), speed (three year span with 111 steals in AAA) and on defense... well, his D wasn't good, but he had enough range that he got a fair amount of time at short. Reached and stayed in the high minors at a very young age - was his birth date not believed? - often pretty young for his leagues, which is weird to say of someone who spent a decade at the same level.

Subsequently, he was a scout, coach, and director in the White Sox system before being let go as part of the Dave Wilder kickback scandal. Last I heard, he was heavily involved with the Dominican national team and was a notable trainer of amateur talent.
   9. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: July 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM (#4755642)
I remember being excited when the Indians got Gonzalez as a throw-in in the Jay Bell-Felix Fermin trade. I hated the main part of the deal, even as a 12-year-old, but I thought Gonzalez would be a nifty bench piece. I think that's because I remembered his '85 Pursue The Pennant card, which had a big ol' chunk of HR against lefties. (He hit 2 HR in 36 PA against LHP in '85.)

A guy with that kind of pop who can play anywhere on the infield? Fantastic! Great pickup! Can't wait to see him get...17 at-bats with Cleveland.

All that said, I'm with Der-K. I think Gonzalez could have been, at the very least, Kelly Gruber or Scott Brosius if he'd have been given a real chance at an MLB job. Unfortunately the '89 Indians decided they'd rather roll Luis Aguayo, Paul Zuvella, Tommy Hinzo, Pat Keedy, and Danny Shaeffer out there as utilityguys.
   10. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: July 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4755666)
Jesse Haines: the second winningest pitcher in Cardinals history (behind Bob Gibson).

The pitcher with the second most strikeouts in Cardinals history blew my mind when I heard it the other day--it's Adam Wainwright!
   11. salvomania Posted: July 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM (#4755691)
The pitcher with the second most strikeouts in Cardinals history blew my mind when I heard it the other day--it's Adam Wainwright!

He began 2013 just 9 strikeouts in front of the 10th-place Cardinal, Larry Jackson, then by the end of the year he had blown by Nos. 2-8 (in reverse order: Bill Doak, Steve Carlton, Jesse Haines, Matt Morris, Bob Forsch, Chris Carpenter and Dizzy Dean).

Now he just needs five more 200 K seasons to catch Gibson.
   12. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM (#4755694)
Jesse Haines was the basis for "Pop", the manager in history's greatest baseball movie, "Death on the Diamond". Of course like all those movies they simplified the plot by making him the combined manager / owner / father of love interest.
   13. BDC Posted: July 22, 2014 at 12:20 PM (#4755697)
Jesse Haines was the basis for "Pop", the manager in history's greatest baseball movie, "Death on the Diamond"

And thus in turn for Pop Fisher in The Natural.
   14. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4755737)
Oh, I don't know what I'd think about Denio now, but that's what I believed at the time...

rumor! Yanks to pick up Headley for Solarte and Raffy DePaula
   15. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: July 22, 2014 at 01:35 PM (#4755745)
Yangervis Solarte iss a better player AND makes ten times less money!
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: July 22, 2014 at 07:16 PM (#4755964)
The Game of 7/21/14 featured a pitching matching that was extremely even in terms of major league experience, but in no other way. Even or not, both pitchers and their bullpens combined on a remarkable performance, particularly with runners in scoring position... at least through the end of regulation.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.