Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-2-2014

Pittsburgh Press, July 2, 1914:

Pitcher Elmer Daily, of the Allegheny Steel team of Tarentum and Brackenridge, killed a dog with a batted ball Tuesday evening at Peterson park when the Steel team was practicing. A dog was chasing the ball over the field when it seized a hot one from Daily’s willow too soon after it had left the bat. The drive turned him end over end and left him inert on the ground.

:(

No snark today. Just a “that really sucks”.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:47 AM | 8 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:50 AM (#4741739)
It might not be a great Birthday Team, but imagine the behind-the-scenes reality show featuring Canseco, T-Plush, and Sean Casey.

C: Fred Carroll
1B: Sean Casey
2B: Gil English
3B: Greg Dobbs
SS: Bob Gilks
LF: Angel Pagan
CF: Tony Armas
RF: Jose Canseco

SP: Joe Magrane
SP: Chuck Stobbs
SP: Steve Sparks
SP: Brett Cecil
SP: Pete Burnside
RP: Hal Reniff

Spare outfielders: Nyjer Morgan, Tony Plush
Brother: Ozzie Canseco
   2. AndrewJ Posted: July 02, 2014 at 08:27 AM (#4741745)
Ed Delahanty died 111 years ago today -- he'd have made a great reality show, too.
   3. Lindor Truffles Posted: July 02, 2014 at 09:40 AM (#4741771)
Plus the walking paradox (angel Pagan) and a knuckleballer who missed a year after trying to rip a phone book in half.

So last night, Cleveland turned a 7-2-4 triple play, with Brantley catching a liner from Gonzalez, nailing Gordon at home and Gomes throwing to Kipnis at 2B, getting Puig. Yasiel was called safe but a Francona challenge was successful. Mattingly then challenged the home plate portion, which was upheld. Look out for Angel Hernandez accessorizing like my little cousin, with two chainz and six bracelets.

http://m.mlb.com/news/2014/07/02/82658954/
   4. Batman Posted: July 02, 2014 at 10:18 AM (#4741820)
Yesterday was Comiskey Park's birthday. The last game I went to at Comiskey was this one. Today's birthday rightfielder fell down on a fly ball and gave Frank Thomas his third career triple, before he'd hit his first home run. Thomas hit nine more triples and 521 HR over the next 18 years.
   5. esseff Posted: July 02, 2014 at 05:48 PM (#4742215)
Brooks Conrad, the man who launched a thousand BTF postseason checklists, is back in the majors with the Padres.
   6. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: July 02, 2014 at 06:23 PM (#4742255)
The Game of 7/1/84 featured a pitching matchup between long-time teammates, a career day from a HoVG player who lasted 20 years, and a tying run getting thrown out at home in the eight. I believe that would be classified as "something for everyone."
   7. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:27 PM (#4742307)
Did you know that in their not-yet-22-year history, the Marlins have thrown five no-hitters? Five! Their embarrassment of riches is apparently not limited to winning the World Series.

Anyway, the Game of 7/1/14 was a pitching matchup between two of the five pitchers who have thrown those Marlin no-hitters. Its most notable performance came from someone who's completing his emergence as one of the absolute best players in baseball, and has of late been doing so in ways other than the one for which he is best-known.
   8. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: July 02, 2014 at 07:52 PM (#4742323)
Its most notable performance came from someone who's completing his emergence as one of the absolute best players in baseball, and has of late been doing so in ways other than the one for which he is best-known.

It's my belief that by the time he retires, Stanton will be the all time leader in strikeouts. In less than 5 seasons, he's currently in 675th place. By the end of the year he should be ~525th. At his current pace, he'll be somewhere around 50th after 10 years. If he can stay healthy, he'll be higher than that. And he'll be only 29.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.