Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-10-2011

Youngstown Vindicator, August 10, 1911:

A fine deal was put through by [Youngstown] Manager Phillips Wednesday when he sold Scott, Sheer and Tate to Washington on an optional agreement with the understanding that if they make good the Steelmen are to receive a neat figure for the fast trio.

And elsewhere on the same page...

East Liverpool, Aug. 10.—Hugh Tate, first baseman for the Youngstown ball team playing here Wednesday afternoon, had his right wrist shattered by being struck with a fast shoot pitched by Richie of the local team.  Dr. J.L. Pyle…declared the bone in Tate’s wrist had been broken into at least ten pieces.

Probably safe to assume Washington’s interest in Tate cooled considerably at that point.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 10, 2011 at 09:33 AM | 34 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM (#3896931)
Not to mention that on the same page there is an article detailing Scott being taken to the hospital with an undisclosed ailment...
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 10, 2011 at 01:37 PM (#3896972)
Dontrelle Willis had a terrific start for the Reds last night, striking out ten Rockies and walking only one, although he lost the game 3-2. He doesn't have a win yet, but his six starts include five quality starts, and he's yet to allow more than three runs in a game. He's also hitting .400, with a double, triple and homer among his six hits.

If the Reds were any good this year, this would be a huge story. If you like baseball, you gotta love the D-Train.
   3. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 01:44 PM (#3896977)
If the Reds were any good this year, this would be a huge story. If you like baseball, you gotta love the D-Train.
So what did Willis figure out? Because he hasn't had a good year since 2006.
   4. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 10, 2011 at 01:54 PM (#3896983)
His motion seemed streamlined to me, without the enormous leg kick. Plus, I think he has a pretty good manager.
   5. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 10, 2011 at 02:17 PM (#3897008)
New historical bit up at THT: 40th anniversary of SABR, in which I try to predict where future SABR conventions will be held in the near future and handicap the odds of towns.

Plus the usual litany of other anniversaries, including: Ruth's longest homer as a Red Sox, a 58-pitch 9-inning CG, one of the five times a Cesar Tovar single ruins what would otherwise be a no-hitter, Billy Martin beats up his own player, the worst rundown ever, a horrible defensive play by the Indians, 40-year-old Willie Stargell triples, owners and players break off talks in '94, Jeff Weaver acts like an #######, Schilling allows a record nine doubles in one game, that nasty 2010 CIN-STL fight, and my personal favorite - Nolan Ryan allowing back-to-back homers by Ozzie Guillen and Craig Grebeck.
   6. steagles Posted: August 10, 2011 at 02:19 PM (#3897011)
found this today, and i thought it was fairly interesting.
1. Carlos Carrasco, rhp
2. Kyle Drabek, rhp
3. Adrian Cardenas, ss/2b
4. Edgar Garcia, rhp
5. Scott Mathieson, rhp
6. Josh Outman, lhp
7. Michael Bourn, of
8. J.A. Happ, lhp
9. Matt Maloney, lhp
10. Greg Golson, of

that's baseball america's top 10 phillies prospects from the year 2007.

#1 was part of a package that was traded for cliff lee. #2 was part of a package for roy halladay. #3 and #6 were traded for joe blanton. #7 was traded for brad lidge. #8 was traded for roy oswalt. #9 for kyle lohse. #10 for john mayberry.

#4 was released this past offseason after having stagnated in A ball, and #5 has been riding the shuttle between AAA and the majors after bouncing back from multiple arm surgeries.
   7. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 02:21 PM (#3897012)
New historical bit up at THT: 40th anniversary of SABR, in which I try to predict where future SABR conventions will be held in the near future and handicap the odds of towns.
I enjoyed that. Although you have the convention going to Kansas City in both 2019 and 2021. I like BBQ as much as the next fellow, but that seems like a lot.
   8. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 10, 2011 at 02:26 PM (#3897017)
I enjoyed that. Although you have the convention going to Kansas City in both 2019 and 2021. I like BBQ as much as the next fellow, but that seems like a lot.

One in Missouri, one in Kansas.

Or I just goofed up.
   9. SoSH U at work Posted: August 10, 2011 at 03:47 PM (#3897084)
Dan Uggla was hitting .173 when he started a 30-game hitting streak (which I somehow just found out about today). That's got to make him one of the least likely candidates to enjoy a 30-gamer, I'd have to think.

BTW, the streak has lifted him to a whopping .220.
   10. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: August 10, 2011 at 04:00 PM (#3897093)
His motion seemed streamlined to me, without the enormous leg kick. Plus, I think he has a pretty good manager.

Yeah, but Rick Sweet and Ted Power aren't helping him now.
   11. Accent Shallow Posted: August 10, 2011 at 04:58 PM (#3897130)
Then 1964 HoM MMP project introduced me to Denis Menke, whom I had either never heard of before, or had forgotten about.

What was his deal?

One great year in Milwaukee, then off the cliff. One good year in ATL, then, cliff. Three solid years in Houston, culminating with an All-Star appearance and some downballot MVP votes . . . then the cliff.
   12. Mike Webber Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:04 PM (#3897140)
Predicting SABR Conventions:

I checked this out about 4 years ago when someone suggested that it was about KC’s turn again. I have always said once I forget how big of a pain it was to host the dang thing I’d be ready to host again. So I counted up, basically like you did to see when our turn was. I figured we were “due” in 2023.

This is the list I came up with, which is similar to Chris's only instead of counting DC/Baltimore as one, I counted them as two. Why? The Northeast thing primarily, and by 2017 (where I placed them) it will be 8 years since SABR was in DC. Even for a group as focused on the past as us, eight years seems far enough apart.

Year Town (last)
2014 Houston (never)
2015 Detroit (never)
2016 Tampa (never)
2017 Baltimore (1982)
2018 Chicago (1986)
2019 New York (1991)
2020 San Diego (1993 - 7 years since West Coast)
2021 Dallas (94)
2022 Pittsburgh (95)
2023 Kansas City (96)

Basically I just arranged them by the order they last hosted.

I agree with Chris that Pittsburgh will likely move forward with their “new” park.

Happy Birthday SABR.
   13. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:07 PM (#3897144)

Good stuff all around. I'll throw out a WAG that 2021 will be Cooperstown for the 50th anniversary.
   14. Group Captain Mandrake Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:14 PM (#3897153)
1917 Babe Ruth belts home run into centerfield bleachers versus the Red Sox, supposedly the longest ever hit there (up to that point in time at least).

Do intrasquad HR's count?
   15. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:15 PM (#3897155)
This is the list I came up with, which is similar to Chris's only instead of counting DC/Baltimore as one, I counted them as two. Why? The Northeast thing primarily, and by 2017 (where I placed them) it will be 8 years since SABR was in DC.

Normally I'd agree except that when the convention was in DC, we saw a game in Baltimore.

That hurts the chances of both places to host it any time soon. Are they really going to go back to Camden Yards eight years after going to Camden Yards?
   16. Sweatpants Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:41 PM (#3897183)
BTW, the streak has lifted him to a whopping .220.
I'm always surprised when I check his OBP. It's around .285.

Three times in his last nine games, his only hit has been an infield single.
   17. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:41 PM (#3897184)

that's baseball america's top 10 phillies prospects from the year 2007.

From that same year:

1. Felix Pie, of
2. Donald Veal, lhp
3. Jeff Samardzija, rhp
4. Tyler Colvin, of
5. Sean Gallagher, rhp
6. Eric Patterson, 2b
7. Scott Moore, 3b
8. Ryan Harvey, of
9. Chris Huseby, rhp
10. Mark Pawelek, lhp

Only Samardzija and Colvin are still with the organization (well, Moore is on a minor league deal after being let go by the Orioles)

#1 was dealt for Garrett Olson, #2 was lost in the Rule 5, #5 and #6 were dealt for Rich Harden, #7 was traded for Steve Traschel. #8 was released in 2008. #9 was released this spring and #10 was released in 2009.
   18. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 10, 2011 at 05:53 PM (#3897196)
#5 and #6 were dealt for Rich Harden,

Wow, that seems like a long time ago, doesn't it?

I thought Leo Durocher was just the manager to get Harden straightened out.
   19. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 06:03 PM (#3897212)
#baseballchickbait

Here is the Astros.

1. Hunter Pence, of
2. Troy Patton, lhp
3. Matt Albers, rhp
4. Jimmy Barthmaier, rhp
5. Juan Gutierrez, rhp
6. J.R. Towles, c
7. Paul Estrada, rhp
8. Felipe Paulino, rhp
9. Max Sapp, c
10. Chad Reineke, rhp

JR Towles is the only one left, and he's in AAA. #1 was dealt a few weeks ago for four minor leaguers. #2 and #3 were dealt for Miguel Tejada. #4 was selected off waivers after the season this list came out. #5 was dealt for Chad Qualls. #7 was let go in 2009 and is currently pitching for Tijuana. #8 was dealt for Clint Barmes. #9 contracted meningitis and began having seizures and retired in 2008. #10 was dealt for Randy Wolf.
   20. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 10, 2011 at 06:11 PM (#3897224)
Jimmy Barthmaier was a top prospect in 2007?

He was with the Pirates the year after that and nobody thought he was better than the other guys they periodically brought up from AAA to flounder hopelessly (Yoslan Herrera, Jason Davis, Ty Taubenheim).
   21. zempf Posted: August 10, 2011 at 06:34 PM (#3897251)
Here's the Indians:

1. Adam Miller, rhp
2. Chuck Lofgren, lhp
3. Trevor Crowe, of
4. Tony Sipp, lhp
5. Brian Barton, of
6. John Drennen, of
7. Scott Lewis, lhp
8. Brad Snyder, of
9. Wes Hodges, 3b
10. David Huff, lhp

Miller's still with the Indians, though he's had big issues with the middle finger on his pitching hand. Lofgren went in the Rule 5 to Milwaukee last year (and is with SF right now, I think), Trevor Crowe has been injured all year (and has been bad-to-useless every other year), Tony Sipp is a decent part of the Indians bullpen, Brian Barton went in the Rule 5 to St. Louis a few years ago, John Drennen got a 50-game substance suspension this May in AA, Scott Lewis got released last year & apparently hasn't pitched since, Brad Snyder went to the Cubs on waivers a couple of years ago, Wes Hodges stagnated in the minors, was lost on waivers, reclaimed on waivers, and subsequently released again, and David Huff has recently had a couple of very good starts for the Indians.

Interesting to note that unlike the other teams, the guys who aren't with the org. any more didn't get traded for anything, they mostly just got released cause they stunk.
   22. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 06:46 PM (#3897269)
White Sox:

1. Ryan Sweeney, of
2. Josh Fields, 3b
3. Lance Broadway, rhp
4. Kyle McCulloch, rhp
5. Charlie Haeger, rhp
6. Aaron Cunningham, of
7. Adam Russell, rhp
8. Lucas Harrell, rhp
9. Matt Long, rhp
10. Chris Carter, 1b

#1 was dealt for Nick Swisher, #2 was dealt for Mark Teahen, #3 was dealt for Ramon Castro, #4 was dealt for cash, #5 was selected off waivers in 2008, #6 was dealt for Danny Richar, #7 as dealt for Jake Peavy, #8 is a 26 year old in AAA who pitched 5 innings for Chicago this year, #9 is a 26 year old AA pitcher, and #10 was dealt for Carlos Quentin.
   23. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 06:59 PM (#3897277)
Yankees:

1. Philip Hughes, rhp
2. Jose Tabata, of
3. Dellin Betances, rhp
4. Joba Chamberlain, rhp
5. Ian Kennedy, rhp
6. Chris Garcia, rhp
7. Tyler Clippard, rhp
8. J. Brent Cox, rhp
9. Mark Melancon, rhp
10. Brett Gardner, of

Hughes (#1) is in the Yankees' starting rotation (more or less), Tabata (#2) was dealt as part of the deal for Nady and Damaso Marte, Betances (#3) is still in the system and well-regarded, Joba (#4) is Joba, Kennedy (#5) was dealt as part of the Granderson trade, Garcia (#6) was released and is pitching in Low-A for the Nats, Clippard (#7) was dealt for Jonathan Albaladejo, Cox (#8) has had all kinds of arm problems, I'm not sure if he's in the minors or hurt or what. Melancon (#9) was dealt for Lance Berkman, he's closing for Houston--I think. And Gardner (#10) might be the best player on that list.
   24. Guapo Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:02 PM (#3897281)
For the Nationals:

1. Collin Balester, rhp
2. Chris Marrero, of
3. Colton Willems, rhp
4. Kory Casto, 3b/of
5. Esmailyn Gonzalez, ss
6. Zech Zinicola, rhp
7. Glenn Gibson, lhp
8. Matt Chico, lhp
9. Stephen King, ss
10. Ian Desmond, ss

On the Nationals- #1, #10 (although Desmond should be in AAA)
In AAA- #2, #6
In AA- #9
Retired- #3, #4 (Casto played 82 games in the majors)
Released last month- #8 (Chico started 31 games for the team in 2007)
Traded for Elijah Dukes- #7
Not a real person- #5

EDIT: I had no idea that Esmailyn Gonzalez, who is actually Carlos Alvarez, is still in the Nationals system. He's listed as the DH for the Class A Auburn Doubledays. Bizarre to say the least...
   25. Craig in MN Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:05 PM (#3897288)
Twins:
1. Matt Garza, rhp
2. Glen Perkins, lhp
3. Kevin Slowey, rhp
4. Chris Parmelee, of
5. Anthony Swarzak, rhp
6. Pat Neshek, rhp
7. Alexi Casilla, ss/2b
8. Joe Benson, of
9. Paul Kelly, ss
10. J.D. Durbin, rhp

Perkins, Slowey, Swarzak, and Casilla are contributing to the Twins this season. Garza was traded for Delmon Young, who is not. Neshek is pitching for SD, contributed a lot to the Twins, but was released after struggling after surgery. Oddly, all 6 of those players had/have public problems with the Twins management over the years. Parmalee and Bensen are both still on the radar, both hitting well in AA at age 23. Only Durbin and Kelly flamed out.
   26. Mike Emeigh Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:10 PM (#3897293)
Pirates:

1. Andrew McCutchen, of
2. Neil Walker, 3b
3. Steve Pearce, 1b/of
4. Brad Lincoln, rhp
5. Daniel Moskos, lhp
6. Shelby Ford, 2b
7. Jamie Romak, of
8. Brian Bixler, ss/2b
9. Duke Welker, lhp
10. Brad Corley, of

This one isn't as interesting as some of the others. The top 5 are all still in the organization, and the top 3 are contributing at the major league level. #6 was released a couple of weeks ago. #7 was let go after a terrible 2009 season and is now in AA the Royals' system. #8 was traded to the Indians before last year for a minor prospect who is no longer in baseball, reacquired in midseason for a PTBNL (and I never heard who that was), then sold to the Nationals in August. #9 is still in the organization but at age 25 has yet to pitch beyond high A. #10 was traded to the Rockies in 2009 for "future considerations" and he's also now out of baseball.

-- MWE

EDIT: Lincoln was also called up a couple of days ago.
   27. JJ1986 Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:14 PM (#3897297)
Only Durbin and Kelly flamed out.

Durbin was not really a prospect by that point. I'm surprised he was on the list.
   28. Mike Emeigh Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:16 PM (#3897301)
Cox (#8) has had all kinds of arm problems, I'm not sure if he's in the minors or hurt or what.

He's on the Yankees' restricted list. He came very close to retiring last season after missing most of 2009 with shoulder problems, and my guess is that he's actually retired.

-- MWE
   29. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:17 PM (#3897302)
On the other side:

1. Delmon Young, of
2. Evan Longoria, 3b
3. Reid Brignac, ss
4. Jeff Niemann, rhp
5. Jacob McGee, lhp
6. Elijah Dukes, of
7. Wade Davis, rhp
8. Matt Walker, rhp
9. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp
10. Joel Guzman, of/1b/3b,

#1 was dealt for Matt Garza and Jason Barlett, #2 is an All-Star, #3 is majorly struggling but has been serviceable in the past, #4 is a nice middle of the rotaiton starter, #5 is an okay relieer, #6 is in the California Penal League, #7 is a nice mid-rotation starter, #8 was suspended for amphetamines and has been out of baseball since 2008, #9 is one of the best young pitchers in the game, and #10 was let go in 2008.

That's about as good as it gets.
   30. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:29 PM (#3897318)
He's on the Yankees' restricted list. He came very close to retiring last season after missing most of 2009 with shoulder problems, and my guess is that he's actually retired.
Thanks, Mike. I'm actally relatively impressed with the Yankees list, seven of those guys are in the Majors, with Betances having a good shot at making it as well. And more than a few could be major contributors.
   31. Craig in MN Posted: August 10, 2011 at 07:44 PM (#3897339)

Durbin was not really a prospect by that point. I'm surprised he was on the list.

Well, he had a 2.33 ERA in 16 AAA starts the previous year. I think they gave him the benefit of the doubt because of that, plus being stuck behind a lot of better pitchers. The Twins released him at the end of Spring training that year, so he wasn't on the list that mattered. Also, he should be on the list of players that had falling outs with management. "The Minnesota Twins: If you are a prospect that makes their way to the major leagues, we'll find a reason to dislike and bad mouth each other."
   32. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 10, 2011 at 08:18 PM (#3897376)
Red Sox

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, of
2. Clay Buchholz, rhp
3. Michael Bowden, rhp
4. Daniel Bard, rhp
5. Lars Anderson, 1b
6. Dustin Pedroia, ss
7. Bryce Cox, rhp
8. Craig Hansen, rhp
9. Kris Johnson, lhp
10. Jason Place, of

1, 2, 4 and 6 are helping the big club. Anderson and Bowden are stuck in the minors and likely never getting out in a meaningful way. Cox (#7), Johnson (9) and Place (10) were released earlier this year.

Hansen's a bit of a sad story. The Sox tried to rush him (he was called up the same year he was drafted) and was hammered during fairly lengthy stints in 2006 and 2008. A sleep apnea diagnosis was hoped to show some improvement but it didn't and he went to Pittsburgh in the Manny/Jason Bay extravaganza. He didn't work out there and I believe was diagnosed with depression and finally got released earlier this year.

And of course after the list came out the Sox signed Daisuke Matsuzaka who I believe was ranked as the #1 prospect in the game by BA when the book was released in February.
   33. puck Posted: August 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM (#3897431)
Ian Stewart got sent down again, to help make room for Edgar Gonzalez and Kevin Millwood. (Matt Lindstrom was also put on the DL to clear the other roster spot. Millwood is a rotation stop-gap, filling in for Juan Nicasio.)

Troy Renck has tweeted that Stewart will be working on "a different bat angle" and that it's not over, but how many times can the team ship him to the Springs to work on his swing before giving up on him? At least he used to have power. He's still under .200, and has no HR's in 136 PA.
   34. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM (#3897436)
Hansen's a bit of a sad story. The Sox tried to rush him (he was called up the same year he was drafted) and was hammered during fairly lengthy stints in 2006 and 2008. A sleep apnea diagnosis was hoped to show some improvement but it didn't and he went to Pittsburgh in the Manny/Jason Bay extravaganza. He didn't work out there and I believe was diagnosed with depression and finally got released earlier this year.

Hansen had some sort of debilitating nerve problem that seemed to be something no baseball player had ever been diagnosed with before.

Here we go. Personage-Turner syndrome. Apparently your trapezius muscle can just stop working because no nerve is telling it what to do.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.