Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 05, 2011

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-5-2011

Pittsburgh Press, August 5, 1911:

Ambrose McConnell, of the White Sox, has a queer hobby.  He picks up pins of every description, never passing one by without stopping to gather it in.  Amby has a theory that every pin picked up means a base hit for him…His specialty is hairpins.

It appears he found a total of 398 pins during his MLB career.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 05, 2011 at 08:13 AM | 9 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 05, 2011 at 08:21 AM (#3893239)
Elsewhere on August 5, 1911...

Pittsburgh Press:
FEAR PICKETT HAS MET WITH FOUL PLAY

The whereabouts of Charles A. Pickett, former Cardinal pitcher, being unknown, considerable apprehension was caused here by a telegram representing the finding of Pickett's coat near Moline, Ill.
I'm not sure where he was, but Pickett was fine. He lived another 58 years.

Pittsburgh Gazette Times:
In one of the early innings Third Baseman Herzog ran right up to the stand back of third base and caught a foul fly from a Pirate bat. Later in the game Mr. B. Byrne hiked directly to the same spot, snizzled a foul, and, turning to Herzog, quietly remarked: "Charles, I fail to see wherein you have anything on me."
Oh snap!
   2. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: August 05, 2011 at 11:01 AM (#3893247)
Ambrose McConnell, of the White Sox, has a queer hobby.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

\obligatory
   3. BDC Posted: August 05, 2011 at 12:50 PM (#3893272)
Rangers totals for the "lights-out" deadline duo: 4 1/3 IP, 2 HR, 2 ER, 4.15 ERA, 0-1, and two "holds" in a Rangers win yesterday. OK, so maybe they're coming around :)

On the dark side, Texas comes home to face 110-degree heat and Ubaldo Jimenez. The Angels have proven incapable of losing a game, and they throw Jered F. Weaver at Seattle tonight. I need blood-pressure meds.
   4. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: August 05, 2011 at 01:58 PM (#3893298)
He picks up pins of every description, never passing one by without stopping to gather it in. Amby has a theory that every pin picked up means a base hit for him…His specialty is hairpins.
If he picks all of them up, how does he have a specialty; are they drawn to him?
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 05, 2011 at 02:03 PM (#3893302)
If he picks all of them up, how does he have a specialty; are they drawn to him?

He probably had a magnetic personality.
   6. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 05, 2011 at 02:19 PM (#3893309)
Ten years ago today, Mike Bacsik made his MLB debut for the Indians. That game's memorable for another reason, though.

Here's Tom Hamilton and Mike Hegan with the call.
   7. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 05, 2011 at 03:29 PM (#3893373)
Ten years ago today, Mike Bacsik made his MLB debut for the Indians. That game's memorable for another reason, though.

Funny you should mention that game, because it's the subject of a historical piece at THT Live: 10 year anniversary of baseball's greatest comeback. It then lists a series of other baseball anniversaries and day-versaries.

And there's another item up I personally had a lot more fun putting together: Matt Stairs career highlights about the recenty retired man who played for everyone. It's most impressive games, most notable games, and some oddities he was on hand for. For example, I never knew he played in two games featuring an unassisted triple play, but son of a gun - he did. I dunno what others think of these "career highlights" pieces I sometimes do, but I certainly have a lotta fun putting them together.
   8. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 06, 2011 at 06:48 AM (#3894115)
Mike Napoli is on some kind of tear, right now.

Since July 1st, he's hitting .431/.488/.833 in 80 plate appearances.
   9. puck Posted: August 06, 2011 at 04:54 PM (#3894264)
Last night Rockies pitcher Juan Nicasio was hit, apparently on the side of the head, by a hard liner off the bat of Ian Desmond and was carried off the field. Nicasio is having surgery for a broken C-1 vertebrae.

While laying on the mound he reported numbness in his extremities but could be seen waving his fingers. So I hope that's a sign the risk of paralysis and the like is low.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.