Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 11, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-11-2014

Toledo News-Bee, August 11, 1914:

SEMI-PRO FLINGER HAS GREAT RECORD

Rube Foster, the Christy Mathewson of colored baseball stars, has pitched 23 games for the American Giants, a colored semi-professional team, and won them all, according to the team’s official record. These games include contests with the Portland, Ore., and Spokane team of the Northwestern league.

And he’s only a semi-pro? Man, someone should really sign him.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 11, 2014 at 07:51 AM | 19 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, rube foster

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 11, 2014 at 07:55 AM (#4768350)
Fun first names on today's Birthday Team: Melky, Vada, Bobo, Bryn, and Red.

C: Bob Scheffing
1B: Carlos Martinez
2B: Danny Murphy
3B: Pablo Sandoval
SS: Walter Barbare
LF: Melky Cabrera
CF: Colby Rasmus
RF: Vada Pinson

SP: Bobo Newsom
SP: Bryn Smith
SP: Bill Monbouquette
SP: Red Causey
SP: Gordon Rhodes
RP: Drew Storen

Owner: Bob Mazer
Seven MLB seasons, seven MLB teams, absolutely could not pitch but kept getting work: Andrew Lorraine
   2. Chris Fluit Posted: August 11, 2014 at 08:16 AM (#4768361)
It's not often that we see actual active teammates in both MLB and the birthday team.
   3. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 09:25 AM (#4768380)
The Game of 8/8/84 featured one of my favorite pitching matchups in this project so far - it pitted one of the worst pitchers ever to win a Cy Young against one of the best pitchers who never won one. Both pitchers had trouble in the game, but one of them had a lot more of it a lot faster, and that proved decisive... 9 innings later.
   4. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 09:34 AM (#4768384)
The Game of 8/8/14 had a pitching matchup that could conceivably have been super cool in a "Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy" way, but only made it halfway there. It did, however, have a Mickey Owen - one that didn't directly decide the game, but at least kept it going long enough for the beneficiary to decide it later.
   5. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: August 11, 2014 at 09:35 AM (#4768386)
eric

good game. thanks
   6. BDC Posted: August 11, 2014 at 09:51 AM (#4768404)
(Belated) notes from Chicago (game of Mon. 4 August, White Sox 5, Rangers 3, seven innings, rain). It was raining on and off all day in Chicago, as I made my way to the South Side. As I have noted often here on BBTF, I was born on the North Side, went to games at Wrigley Field as a kid, family all lifelong Cub fans, and I had never been to a game at any incarnation of Sox Park. I'd zoomed past both versions many times on the Dan Ryan or on the el, and never bothered to look in. I'm glad I did.

Weird game, though, as they delayed the start for half an hour with a huge thunderstorm forming to the west, then played only seven innings of it, mostly in gathering rain: if they'd started on time they could have played nine, and under drier conditions. A rhythm developed where I would sit down, it would start to rain heavily, I would scamper for cover, the rain would stop, I'd venture out again: over and over.

The Cell is generic, famous as the lost non-retro park, of course. I found it quite acceptable. Among other things, it's in CHICAGO, which makes up for any lack of 21st-century amenities :) The non-retro design means a couple of odd features. When you enter, you walk up a flight to get the to concourse, then down to your seat. I am used to the HOK park in Arlington, and had just been to the HOK park in Cleveland. You enter both of those at ground level and stay there, because the field is well below street level. A minor but interesting point. It may be my imagination, but for that reason I think the seats are more steeply raked in the Cell than in Cleveland or Arlington, and you're a tiny bit closer to the action than in the same seat in an HOK park: by chance I had virtually the same ticket in Chicago as Cleveland, 26th row slightly left of home plate.

Another odd feature is that because the concourse is small, they built a two-story giftshop at some point across the street, and you can wander over a bridge and buy junk during the game. I was looking for literal white sox for La Dernière, but at first all I could find were green, black, pink, and plaid. Eventually I tracked them down. They are cute White Sox with baseball stitching in red at the toes.

Giveaway: Jose Abreu T-shirt. I am like a little kid at a ballgame, I swear. I knew nothing about the White Sox except they have Jose Abreu. I love my shirt and put it on immediately, and I got to see Abreu drive in two runs with a single, though a home run would have been better.

Food: A loaded baked potato, and the concessionnaire very helpfully tracked down a steam tray of broccoli so I could ladle some on top. Gigantic $(%*&ing; potato, very healthy option if you choose the broccoli.

Beer: Barley Island Barfly IPA, too strong if you ask me, and Great Lakes Eliot Ness Amber, which was very nice; Great Lakes does an outstanding job. Both were bottled. The draft beer situation at the Cell is utterly desperate, but they have tons and tons of Midwest brews in bottles, you won't go thirsty there.

One thing that struck me in both Chicago and Cleveland was a concession booth offering a 50/50 raffle. Unavailable in Texas and I presume illegal here.
   7. BDC Posted: August 11, 2014 at 09:53 AM (#4768406)
And to follow up: I have been deliriously happy for days because I have a ticket to tonight's Rays-Rangers game in Texas. I am SO looking forward to it. (See "little kid," above.) This game approaches the acme of meaninglessness, and it's 101 in the shade, and heck, I have been to games in three of the last four Ranger series, but I'M GOING TO A BALLGAME TONIGHT and all is right with the world :)
   8. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM (#4768414)
good game. thanks

You're extremely welcome, and thanks back.

The Game of 8/9/84 makes me wonder about the record for longest game in which one of the team's pitching staffs did not allow a walk. It was the other team that had the most distinctive pitching feat of the day, however, as one of their pitchers appears in multiple innings despite not retiring a batter.
   9. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 10:11 AM (#4768421)
The Game of 8/9/14 was the longest of the year (to date) and the second-best of the year (to-date); I'll let you know later if yesterday's equally long game changes the second of those statements. Anyway, this one had a starter no-hit his opponents through six, then fail to complete the seventh. It had a comeback to tie in the bottom of an extra inning that turned into a squandered opportunity to win. And it had 100% of the winning team's RBI come from players whose careers are likely to end up deserving of an appellation higher than "Hall of Famer."
   10. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4768451)
Bill Monbouquette is one of the great baseball names of my youth.
   11. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM (#4768464)
The Roayls are carrying 13 pitchers and 3 bench bats right now because they're terrified to DFA any of their pitchers for fear of losing them in case. Bruce Chen would be the one that should be DFAed, but they're hanging onto him in case they ever need a starting pitcher to fill in, as they don't trust anyone in Omaha.

Would they be allowed to DFA him (he'd clear waivers) and tell him to sit tight and not sign with anyone til roster expand or someone gets hurt? Is there a precedent for that?
   12. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM (#4768474)
Bruce Chen would be the one that should be DFAed, but they're hanging onto him in case they ever need a starting pitcher to fill in, as they don't trust anyone in Omaha.

Then what the heck was the point of the Valencia-for-Hendriks trade, if not to add a 6th starter in Liam Hendriks?

It still makes my blood boil! (It doesn't help that the Tigers then added David Price....against whom Danny Valencia has a career line of .706/.762/.882!
   13. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM (#4768476)
I think they can DFA him, outright him to Omaha when he clears waivers, and then bring him back on September 1. Of course, they'd have to do some 40-man juggling...the DFA/outright removes him from the 40-man.

Is Bruce Chen really that much better than Clayton Mortensen? Not that Mortensen is great, but we're talking about 37-year-old Bruce Chen here.
   14. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM (#4768511)
Chen had a really good year last year (3.27 ERA, splitting time between the bullpen and the rotation), which is why they brought him back.

As for why he's still on the team, please remember that they're also still employing Raul Ibanez, a 42-year-old DH who's slugging .296 on the year.
   15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM (#4768534)
The Game of 8/10/84 matched up a pair of pitchers of wildly divergent ages and pretty similar remaining careers. It also included what has to be one of the least-likely sets of players (leaving out pitchers) ever to hit back-to-back homers. (If people want to take this as a chance to list incredibly improbable back-to-backs, I will not complain at all.) Oh, and it went 12 innings with prime uncapitalized scoring chances aplenty throughout the late ones.
   16. Chris Fluit Posted: August 11, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4768606)
#11. Yes. The orioles did that with Steve Pearce. They released him on April 27 bc they needed the roster spot but they asked him not to sign with anyone else and told him they would resign him in a couple of days. Pearce agreed and the Orioles resigned him on April 29. Of course, it's entirely up to the player. It's a verbal commitment, not a written contract, and he can sign with someone else if he wants to.
   17. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 11, 2014 at 02:33 PM (#4768674)
#16--Ah, very interesting. Thanks.

With Pearce's .287/.358/.500 line, 11 homers & 16 doubles, I'd say the Orioles are pretty pleased with how that played out.
   18. Chris Fluit Posted: August 11, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4768682)
Definitely. Pearce carried the team for a while after Neslon Cruz cooled off.
   19. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 11, 2014 at 04:25 PM (#4768803)
The Game of 8/10/14 equals the game of the previous day as the season's longest, and also takes over the position of most exciting game of 2014 so far. It had the benefit of length, while also including prodigious numbers of scoring chances on both sides, which largely went unconverted. On the pitching side of things, one team posted what I would guess to be one of the 20 or so best single-game bullpen performances ever, in terms of relief innings thrown without allowing a run. The last man out of the pen for them established a new longest outing of his career, despite the fact that he's started half a dozen games.

Yeah, it was a pretty good one.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
1k5v3L
for his generous support.