Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 11, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-11-2017

El Paso Herald, August 11, 1917:

That Walter Johnson, the Senators’ great pitcher…is to be disposed of before the 1918 season opens is a report which has not only been freely circulated in Washington, but which in many quarters is given credence.

The Washington club is bound to lose money before the curtain drops next October. It is known that the baseball property here…is not clear of encumbrances, that with salaries and notes to be paid the present stockholders must stand heavy assessments.

There is but once solution to the whole business. Walter Johnson, if placed on the open market, would bring a fancy price…If Johnson is to be sold there is every reason to believe that Jim Dunn, of Cleveland, stands as good a chance of getting him, if not better, than any club owner in the American league. Dunn and Griff are old friends.

That almost certainly would have been the biggest trade in baseball history, at least to that point. The Big Train was 29 years old and went 222-116 with a 1.64 ERA (178 ERA+) from 1910-1917. In those eight seasons, nearly 20 percent of his starts (59 of 303) were complete game shutouts.

Elsewhere in the news on August 11, 1917, the El Paso Herald reports that Cuban outfielder Armando Marsans is the sensation of the American League season, while the Pittsburgh Press reports that Cuban outfielder Armando Marsans broke his leg yesterday.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM | 18 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history, walter johnson

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 11, 2017 at 10:44 AM (#5511177)
A strong Birthday Team today featuring an impressive outfield.

C/Manager: Bob Scheffing (3.81 WAR)
1B: Walter Barbare (1.83 WAR)
2B: Danny Murphy (35.87 WAR)
3B: Pablo Sandoval (18.8 WAR)
SS: Al Pedrique (0.82 WAR)
LF: Melky Cabrera (22.4 WAR)
CF: Vada Pinson (54.08 WAR)
RF: Colby Rasmus (19.5 WAR)

SP: Bobo Newsom (48.13 WAR)
SP: Bill Monbouquette (20.64 WAR)
SP: Bryn Smith (17.59 WAR)
SP: Gordon Rhodes (5.53 WAR)
SP: Mike Hedlund (3.22 WAR)
RP: Drew Storen (5.93 WAR)

Fun name: Mayckol Guaipe
Cleveland Indians and Indians farmhands of my lifetime: Mike Huff, Eric Crozier, George Canale, Dennis Lewallyn, Andrew Lorraine, First base Carlos Martinez
   2. TDF, FCL Posted: August 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM (#5511179)
Some time ago it was debated whether the Reds should look beyond Billy Hamilton. I opined that even hitting as poorly as he did last year, there was no reason to panic because of his defense and baserunning.

Well, he's not hitting like last year. In fact, that level of offense seems to be the dividing line - in '14 (81 OPS+) and '16 (76) he was a better than average MLB player (2.5 and 2.8 bWAR); in '15 (55) and this year (64) he's not (1.0 and 0.9).
   3. bunyon Posted: August 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM (#5511185)
I'm not sure how to phrase this as I mean no offense to BBTF or its denizens. But what is the best site for reading about the current season? I don't have nearly as much time to devote to baseball as I used to (or as I'd like). I still check out the dugout just about everyday (what a hell of a trivia question yesterday!) but I'm looking for something that will keep me up to date on a season I've been largely out of touch with, without devoting enormous time or wading through a lot of commentary.

Where should I go?
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:28 AM (#5511216)
But what is the best site for reading about the current season?

Summary:

Dodgers never lose. Bellinger called up, goes McGwire.
Rockies and D-Backs surprisingly decent.
Giants terrible, even for an odd year. Bumgarner injured a la Jeff Kent.
NL Central sucks; Cubs frustratingly listless.
Nationals good (except bullpen), everyone else in NL East bad.
Astros great, then not quite so great. Altuve still excellent, Correa great then hurt.
Mike Trout still great but then hurt. Pujols toasty. Cabrera too.
Twins surprisingly good, then Twins. Indians right the ship.
Red Sox good except 3B, Panda finally gone. Media still b*tching, Price b*tching back.
Yankees pretty good with exciting young team. Aaron Judge is greatest baseball player since Ruth (except Jetes of course), then wins HR Derby, no longer any good.

Anything else?

5. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:36 AM (#5511226)
Anything else?

Mets gotta Mets.
   6. Batman Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:40 AM (#5511229)
Anything else?
Rally cat
   7. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:49 AM (#5511237)
Actor Mel Gibson is exactly as old as Sparky Anderson was the day he managed his last game (22,501 days).

Singer Otis Redding would have been exactly as old as Satchel Paige was the day he died (27,730 days).

Comedian Drew Carey is exactly as old as Satchel Paige was the day of his last game (21,630 days).

Tennis player Martina Hingis is exactly as old as Bill Buckner was the day Mookie Wilson's ground ball went through his legs to conclude Game Six of the 1986 World Series (13,464 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as items like this for their own lives here
   8. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:51 AM (#5511239)
Mets gotta Mets.

I figured that was covered in the NL East comment.
   9. BDC Posted: August 11, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5511242)
That's a good question, bunyon. I'm not sure there's a good answer. It's easy to follow a specific team, less easy to have a sense of the big picture and key events. Sites like MLB.com and Fangraphs can be bewildering, there's just so much.

Mobile apps that feed just a few top stories onto your device at a time are maybe the way to go. I really like the CBS Sports app for usability (the Web version is good too, with a very well-designed scoreboard at https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard/). You can tab to NEWS, then HEADLINES, and if your phone is as small as mine you see just a couple of pieces by Jonah Keri, one a list piece, the other about the Rockies. At least there's some filter on the mass of information.
   10. catomi01 Posted: August 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM (#5511253)
News on a specific player (or team) I usually go to Rotoworld still - the way they organize the teams and the old updates on players makes it relatively straightforward to look in and see why the/how the A's are where they are right now, or how someone from the National League that I haven't been paying attention to is doing. That plus BBRef covers most of the day-to-day for me. That, and a quick scan here and Fangraphs to see any interesting articles is the extent of my news-gathering lately. I always flag interesting sites as they come up here - but rarely (unfortunately) go back to take 2nd and 3rd looks for some reason.
   11. Perry Posted: August 11, 2017 at 12:27 PM (#5511267)
Where should I go?

#4 is a good summary so far. Going forward, if I had to pick one site for just general news, stats, etc. I'd probably go with mlb.com. Now with Posnanski!

NBCSports.com's Hardball Talk page is decent too, and they have a good mobile app. Craig Calcaterra does a nice daily summary there of the previous day's games, called "And That Happened."
   12. bunyon Posted: August 11, 2017 at 12:42 PM (#5511287)
Thanks.

mlb.com is much better on the computer than the app. I hadn't figured that. I have the mlb app but hate using it, probably because I haven't figured out how to navigate it. Given my interest, if the site works, that will probably do.

I hadn't realized Poz was there now. How long has that been true?

I'll also check out Calcaterra's column. I haven't had a chance to check the cbs app yet because my wife changed the password and isn't answering texts. I guess that may be the 21st century version of being locked out of the house.
   13. Perry Posted: August 11, 2017 at 01:54 PM (#5511324)
I hadn't realized Poz was there now. How long has that been true?

A few months.

Calcaterra's recap shows up on my nbcsports.com phone app every day just fine, but after I recommended it here I tried to check it on my desktop -- which I never do -- and ended up having to use google to even find it. Weird.
   14. There are no words... (Met Fan Charlie) Posted: August 11, 2017 at 03:44 PM (#5511481)
Anything else?

Kershaw does Kershaw, then hurt; either way, Dodgers don't seem to care.
   15. dlf Posted: August 11, 2017 at 04:09 PM (#5511497)
In a couple of hours, I'm heading off to see the AAA game between Gwinnett and Louisville. I just checked the L'Bats roster and realized I know pretty much their entire coaching staff (Mgr. Delino Deshields, Pitching Coach Jeff Fassero, Hitting Coach Jody Davis) but knew almost no one on their roster and the first name I recognized, Dilson Herrera, is on the DL. Anyone else I should be watching closely?
   16. BDC Posted: August 11, 2017 at 04:21 PM (#5511503)
Matt Tuiasosopo is playing for Gwinnett these days. He had about a carafe of coffee, split between the Mariners and the Tigers, a few years back. I am not sure you should be watching him closely.
   17. dlf Posted: August 11, 2017 at 04:27 PM (#5511505)
Thanks BDC -- I go to see Gwinnett reasonably often and am moderately comfortable with their season-long club. I'd go more, but they aren't building a local version of the Keep BDC Cool Dome even though the stadium is sponsored by a local HVAC company. So this is my first time seeing Acuna play for the G'Braves and my first time seeing any of the Louisville Bats.
   18. Chris Fluit Posted: August 12, 2017 at 09:41 AM (#5511820)
The AL Wild Card is nuts right now. Heading into yesterday's action, there were 6 teams within a game and a half of the second wild card. Today, there are now 4 teams within a half game of the second spot- currently in the hands of the Twins after a 6 game winning streak, followed by the Angels, Mariners and Rays (listed alphabetically). Meanwhile the Royals and Orioles are 1 1/2 and 2 games back after losing last night.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
There are a lot of good people in alt-Shooty
for his generous support.