Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-1-2012

Washington Times, August 1, 1912:

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 1.—Rev. Louis Scott Deburgh, pastor of the Windsor Methodist Episcopal Church, attended the game between the Browns and New York, to get material for a sermon on baseball.  Today he said all fans were suffering from a form of insanity, and pointed to the wild cheering which followed a good play as evidence that the people were afflicted with “baseballophobia”.

That’s just crazy.  There’s no chance the 1912 St. Louis Browns made a good play.

Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:48 AM | 35 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:55 AM (#4197804)
With all due respect to Adam Jones and Gregg Jefferies, it's probably a bad thing that neither of the two best baseball players born on August 1 ever actually played Major League Baseball.

Birthday Team:

C: Milt May
1B: Tony Muser
2B: Pete Mackanin
3B: Howard Freigau
SS: Dave Anderson
LF: Gregg Jefferies
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Greg Gross

SP: Joe Shaute
SP: Madison Bumgarner
SP: Slim Love
SP: Brian Bohanon
SP: Kevin Jarvis
RP: Shigetoshi Hasegawa

Manager: George Bamberger
400-Game Winner in NPB: Masaichi Kaneda
Negro Leagues Great: Frank Grant
   2. Sweatpants Posted: August 01, 2012 at 03:24 AM (#4197808)
Slim Love is an awesome DJ name.

Looking at his BR page, I noticed that he was from Love, MS. I wonder how many players have a birthplace the same as their last name. The only other one I know of is Charlie Gassaway.
   3. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 04:55 AM (#4197820)
Nice catch. I don't know of any others, but may need to perform some Database-Fu to check.

There's at least one player who shares a name with the city of his gravesite.
   4. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 05:04 AM (#4197822)
   5. AndrewJ Posted: August 01, 2012 at 07:54 AM (#4197838)
Wouldn't "baseballophobia" be a fear of baseball?
   6. just plain joe Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:05 AM (#4197869)
That’s just crazy. There’s no chance the 1912 St. Louis Browns made a good play.

To be fair, they did finish ahead of the Yankees that year. Although that was probably before the Yankees actually became the Yankees so it probably doesn't count.
   7. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:14 AM (#4197877)
Hey, Willie Hogan and George Stovall certainly weren't in the lineup for their bats. Therefore they must have been good fielders.
   8. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4197895)
Historical item up at THT notes that today is the 10th anniversary of a team's all-time cumulative franchise record falling under .500. Can you guess what team it is before clicking on the link?
   9. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:35 AM (#4197898)
I wonder how many players have a birthplace the same as their last name. The only other one I know of is Charlie Gassaway.

Vito Corleone?
   10. JustDan Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:37 AM (#4197900)
Kansas City Royals?
   11. Nasty Nate Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:40 AM (#4197942)
So, uh, Mike Trout had a decent little July:

32 runs and 23 RBI in 25 games, 9-9 on the basepaths with an AVG/OBP/SLG of .392/.455/.804
   12. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:46 AM (#4197949)
But only because he didn't face Aroldis Chapman in July: 30 K in 13 IP.

Players who share a name with their birthplace:
Lore Bader
Verne Clemons
Estel Crabtree
Charlie Gassaway
Slim Love
Curly Ogden
Jack Ogden
Steve Phoenix
Happy Townsend
George Turbeville

That's a mob compared to the company Bill Voiselle keeps.
   13. SoSH U at work Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:49 AM (#4197950)
Players who share a name with their birthplace:
Lore Bader
Verne Clemons
Estel Crabtree
Charlie Gassaway
Slim Love
Curly Ogden
Jack Ogden
Steve Phoenix
Happy Townsend
George Turbeville

I wonder how many of those aren't coincidences.

14. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:51 AM (#4197954)
If it is the Royals, I'm guessing their starting pitcher that day was either Runelvys Hernandez or Jimmy Gobble.
   15. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:01 AM (#4197966)
But only because he didn't face Aroldis Chapman in July: 30 K in 13 IP.

That's better than 20K/9.

Sweet fancy Moses!
   16. SoSH U at work Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:07 AM (#4197971)
That's better than 20K/9.

I think you may want to rerun your numbers there.

17. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:10 AM (#4197975)
Specifically, it's 20.77 K/9.
   18. Nasty Nate Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:11 AM (#4197979)
I think you may want to rerun your numbers there.

yeah, his 1 IP outing with only 1 k last night dropped him below 20k/9 for the mont.

i.e. his 30 K in 13 IP was only thru July 30th.
   19. SoSH U at work Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:19 AM (#4197991)
yeah, his 1 IP outing with only 1 k last night dropped him below 20k/9 for the mont.

I'd like to pretend that's what I was thinking, rather than it was just me being a dumbass. Alas, it wasn't.

20. JustDan Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:39 AM (#4198020)
If it is the Royals, I'm guessing their starting pitcher that day was either Runelvys Hernandez or Jimmy Gobble.

It is the Royals (yeah me) and it was Runelvys (yeah you).
   21. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: August 01, 2012 at 01:31 PM (#4198132)
I wonder how many of those aren't coincidences.

I was curious about this too. Setting aside Steve Phoenix -- the key I think is that all of them were born by 1918 and all of them are from small towns. None of the non-Phoenix towns show up in the 1890 Census, meaning they had populations of under 1,000. You'd expect a tiny town to be named for its founder or the guy who originally owned the land or for some other prominent local citizen. And the pre-1920 births mean that the players were close in time to the founding of these towns. So it's a good bet that most or maybe all of the non-Phoenix towns were named for a relative of the relevant ballplayers.

Checking -- Townsend, DE was incorporated 6 years after Happy Townsend was born. There has to be a connection there. Gassaway, TN is an unincorporated intersection with maybe 30 houses. Has to be a connection there too. Crabtree, OH is another unincorporated intersection, with maybe 5-8 houses. Again, has to be a connection. Bader, IL is the same story as Crabtree. Clemons, IA was incorporated when Verne was 12 and still has a population of 148 -- has to be a connection. Love, MS is fairly Google-resistant and doesn't make ePodunk's database. I presume it was a miniature and now-extinct settlement, no doubt named for a relative (Slim was 6-7, 195 pounds, BTW). Ogden, PA is an unincorporated place that's now in the fringes of the Philadelphia metro area. Can't make anything out about it, but at least we know it wasn't a major place when Curley and Jack were growing up.

So yeah, except for Phoenix, it looks like all of those places were probably named for a relative of the relevant ballplayer. The tiniest places might not have had any landowning inhabitants with different names.
   22. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4198197)
The Phils released the cromulentish Mike Fontenot for the Return of MiniMart. Yes, Michael Martinez, who by popular acclaim is the worst player** anyone remembers playing for the Phillies, who was kept on the roster for the entire 2011 season so as not to Rule 5 Revert back to the Nats, he of the 1 tool/half talent skill set (speed but doesn't know how to use it), is back. He's versatile, in that he plays 7 positions poorly, and switch hits to a 41 OPS+ (in 282 PAs).

So, why, you ask? Upside? Not for a guy who turns 30, YES, THIRTY, on September 16. A giant WTF goes out to Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manual, assuming they are both in on this stupid gambit.

** Far, um, declipsing the recently reviled Eric Bruntlett
   23. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:26 PM (#4198211)
I'm trying to think of a recent player worse than Michael Martinez ... all I can come up with is Abraham Nunez.
   24. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 01, 2012 at 02:37 PM (#4198222)
Crispy, even in his time in Philly, Nunez was still marginally better offensively than MiniMart. Nunez could field, MiniMart cannot.
   25. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 04:22 PM (#4198326)
Now that the trade deadline is over teams including the Cubs and Phillies have to actually construct lineups from what's left of their roster. With Polanco's injury and Fontenot's demotion it looks like the starting third baseman is ... Kevin Frandsen? The former Giants second base prospect? I'll be damned.

And for tonight's game at least, there are 23 people on the active roster including 3 catchers and 4 outfielders (Pierre, Brown, Mayberry and Nix). Maybe we can attract attention by starting a lineup with 5 black guys.
   26. JJ1986 Posted: August 01, 2012 at 04:37 PM (#4198345)
Did they have to cut Fontenot because they needed a spot on the 40-man roster? Otherwise it makes no sense to me.
   27. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 01, 2012 at 04:53 PM (#4198366)
Meanwhile out west, the Cubs rotation now includes Justin Germano, who was in Pawtucket two weeks ago, and Chris Volstad, who was demoted June 3rd with a record of 0-7 and a 7.94 ERA and is now back.

If they had just traded Dempster back in June, they could have gotten a better deal AND gotten the publiciy of Volstad trying to be the first pitcher ever to go 0-25. Instead they ended up in the mushy middle.
   28. Greasy Neale Heaton (Dan Lee) Posted: August 01, 2012 at 05:39 PM (#4198420)
I haven't watched MiniMart play all that often, but I'm having an extremely difficult time thinking of something Brent Lillibridge can do that Martinez can't.

I guess Lillibridge pops an occasional home run, but he's just totally useless otherwise.
   29. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 01, 2012 at 06:52 PM (#4198464)
Game of the day (yesterday): White Sox 4, Twins 3. It's Francisco Liriano's first start for the White Sox - and he's facing his old team.

Liriano gave up a leadoff hit to Denard Span in the first, but worked around it when Darin Mastroianni lined into a double play. In the second, his new teammates gave him the lead; Alexis Rios doubled with one out, AJ Pierzynski singled him to third, and Dayan Viciedo added a sac fly to bring in the game's first run against Nick Blackburn. Liriano worked around a walk in the second, then had a far more eventful third. Jamey Carroll drew a walk with one out, and Span singled him to second. After a flyout moved Carroll to third, Span stole second to put the go-ahead run in scoring position with Joe Mauer at the plate. Facing a pitcher who he caught for several years, Mauer struck out looking.

The game settled down considerably for a while after that, with Blackburn and Liriano trading hitless innings until the bottom of the sixth. Mastroianni singled with one out, then stole second and third on consecutive pitches. Mauer walked, as did Josh Willingham to load the bases. Justin Morneau then hit into what's listed as a fielder's choice with no outs recorded - according to the MLB game recap, Paul Konerko threw home to try for the force, but the throw went wide. Despite the recap describing this as a "defensive misplay," no error was assessed; regardless, the game was tied, and the bases were still loaded. Ryan Doumit fouled out for the second out of the inning, but Danny Valencia reached on an infield hit to give Minnesota its first lead.

Blackburn recorded two quick outs in the seventh, but then hit Pierzynski with a pitch. While this is an understandable thing to do, the fact that it was followed with singles by Viciedo and Alexei Ramirez meant that Pierzynski scored the tying run. Liriano was pulled for Jesse Crain, who allowed a single to Span and walked Mastroianni before retiring the side in the seventh; Blackburn worked a scoreless eighth, and Matt Thornton did the same for the Sox.

In the ninth, Jeff Gray got a quick 0-2 count on Alexis Rios, but then allowed him to single. He then worked another 0-2 count on Pierzynski, who crushed the next pitch over the right field wall to give Chicago the lead. Gray retired the side quickly after that, and the Twins got a run back in the bottom of the inning against Addison Reed on a Ben Revere single, a groundout, and a single by Span, but couldn't draw even.

The game had one hitting star for each team: Span was 4/5 with a steal and an RBI, Pierzynski was 2/3 with an HBP and a game-winning homer. It also included Blackburn's best start of the year - it's only the second time he's pitched over 6 innings, and he lasted 8; his Game Score of 65 was only the second he's had that broke 50 this season. And again, it had Liriano's first start for his new team, and it was against his old team. Not a bad bit of distraction on Deadline Day.
   30. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 01, 2012 at 08:10 PM (#4198497)
Game of the day (last year): Phillies 6, Pirates 5 (10). Vance Worley for Philly, Jeff Karstens for the Bucs. Raul Ibanez started the scoring by taking Karstens deep in the bottom of the second. Worley, meanwhile, only allowed two hits through four. In the fifth, however, the Pirates struck; Brandon Wood and Eric Fryer hit back-to-back one-out singles, Karstens bunted them to second and third, and Xavier Paul added a hit to bring them both home.

The Phils came right back in the bottom of the inning. Brian Schneider doubled and Michael Martinez singled to put runners on the corners with nobody out. Worley sacrificed Martinez to second, with Schneider staying in place, and Jimmy Rollins singled to knock both of them in. Those two rallies are disturbingly identical, down to the involvement of the backup catcher in both of them.

Pittsburgh made it three straight 2-run innings in the sixth, and in non-identical fashion. Neil Walker singled with one out, and after Pedro Alvarez struck out, Lyle Overbay hammered a 2-run homer to right, putting the Pirates back in the lead. Karstens held the lead in the bottom of the inning, and his teammates extended it in the seventh against Brad Lidge on a walk by Fryer, a sac bunt by Karstens, and a two-out double by Garret Jones. Karstens was perfect in the seventh, and Juan Perez and David Herndon combined to shut down the Pirate offense in the eighth.

Joe Beimel started the bottom of the inning. He retired Chase Utley, but yielded a double to Ryan Howard. Beimel was pulled for Jose Veras, against whom Hunter Pence grounded to short; Howard tried for third on the play and was thrown out, moving the Phils a base farther from home. That was rendered somewhat less relevant when Ibanez hit the next pitch over the opposite-field fence for his second homer of the day to tie the game.

Ryan Madson allowed a single and a steal in the top of the ninth. In the bottom, Chris Resop recorded two quick outs, then walked Jimmy Rollins (who then stole second) and Shane Victorino (who then stole second while Rollins was stealing third). Tony Watson replaced Resop (and allowed the double steal), retiring Utley to send the game to extras.

Antonio Bastardo was spotless in the top of the tenth. In the bottom, Watson fanned Howard, but then allowed a double to Pence. Ibanez followed that with a double of his own, walking off with the game and increasing his WPA total on the day to an impressive .770.

Ibanez's day: Three extra-base hits against three different pitchers, all of them either tying the game or giving his team the lead. That's a pretty good day.
   31. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:28 PM (#4198548)
Lillibridge is roughly one million times better than minimart, give or take.

Germano was doing pretty well in AAA. Granted, he's a AAAA pitcher, so he should.
   32. Walt Davis Posted: August 01, 2012 at 09:58 PM (#4198566)
So, uh, Mike Trout had a decent little July:

I've been poking around in numbers today in the "haven't looked at this guy/team in a while" way and thought I'd drop in this little factoid:

On May 15, Pujols was hitting 212/248/288.

The Angels fired Mickey Hatcher.

Since then, Pujols has hit 325/403/635.

I know, correlation is not causation but it's a much more fun world if we pretend it is.

(He's up to a 140 OPS+ by the way, 7th in position player WAR in the AL.)
   33. Nasty Nate Posted: August 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4198608)
Trout, who wasn't in the bigs until the very end of April, has more runs, walks, steals, and total bases this year than his outfieldmate Vernon Wells has had in his entire 1.5 year Angels career.
   34. Walt Davis Posted: August 02, 2012 at 01:46 AM (#4198632)
Trout, who wasn't in the bigs until the very end of April, has more runs, walks, steals, and total bases this year than his outfieldmate Vernon Wells has had in his entire 1.5 year Angels career.

So do I but you don't see me bragging about it.
   35. esseff Posted: August 07, 2012 at 12:38 AM (#4202074)
So, a week later it occurs to me that the list in No. 4 missed Jason Castro.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
greenback calls it soccer
for his generous support.