Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 21, 2017

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-21-2017

Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger, August 21, 1917:

The American Giants’ baseball team, of Chicago, Ill., have been matched by Jack Roden to meet the two leading negro baseball clubs of this section the latter part of this month.
The Chicago team is recognized as the negro champions of the West and will meet the Bacharach Giants, of Atlantic City, the eastern champions, in a two-game series for the negro championship of the country, on August 29 and 30.

That would have been an amazing series to watch. John Henry Lloyd, Bruce Petway, Dick Redding, Rube Foster, Pete Hill, Bingo DeMoss, Dick Lundy, and Bill Pettus in one place at the same time. Goodness.

Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:52 AM | 17 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: August 21, 2017 at 09:58 AM (#5517776)
No huge stars on today's Birthday Team, but everybody's pretty good.

C: John Stearns (19.62 WAR)
1B: Frank Isbell (14.6 WAR)
2B: Felix Millan (17.46 WAR)
3B: Ramon Vazquez (1.5 WAR)
SS/Manager: Craig Counsell (22.27 WAR)
LF: Johnny Bates (20.55 WAR)
CF: Melvin Upton (16.22 WAR)
RF: Chief Wilson (13.53 WAR)

SP: Murry Dickson (46.49 WAR)
SP: Ismael Valdez (24.23 WAR)
SP: Gerry Staley (19.27 WAR)
SP: Jason Marquis (8.53 WAR)
SP: John Henry Johnson (7.64 WAR)
RP: John Wetteland (19.63 WAR)

Did not unite Italy: Art Garibaldi
Fun names: Vern Fear, Tuffy Rhodes, Cannonball Titcomb, Hilly Flitcraft
Not that one: Cobe Jones
Neither of those ones: Craig Robinson
Bench bat: J.D. Martinez
Outfielder/Quarterback: Akili Smith
   2. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:03 AM (#5517781)
Today's birthday team sounds like characters from a multicultural-platoon war novel.

"Ramon Vazquez shouldered his weapon. He nodded to Ismael Valdez, who grasped the bridle of the pack mule. Captain Counsell worried about the fresh kid, Johnny Bates. Melvin Upton, on point, vanished into the tall grass. Stolid Chief Wilson brought up the rear, right behind the broad steel-driving shoulders of John Henry Johnson."
   3. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM (#5517821)
Though now that I look him up, John Henry Johnson is a member in good standing of the Reggie Cleveland All-Stars.
   4. esseff Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM (#5517875)
Though now that I look him up, John Henry Johnson is a member in good standing of the Reggie Cleveland All-Stars.

And of the Not That One All-Stars
   5. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM (#5517878)
Actress/sex symbol Grace Kelly would have been exactly as old as Connie Mack was the day of his last game as manager (32,059 days).

Singer Pink is exactly as old as Lou Gehrig was the day he died (13,862 days).

Golfer Rory McIllroy is exactly as old as Sean Forman was the day baseball-reference.com debuted (under its original name, Big Bad Baseball Stats) (10,336 days).

Sabermetrician Bill James is exactly as old as President Andrew Jackson was the day an assassination attempt upon him took place (24,792 days).

Anyone who wants to can look up as-old-as items for their own life here.
   6. Ziggy: The Platonic Form of Russell Branyan Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:57 AM (#5517879)
There aren't any day games today are there? Too bad, I love the idea of baseball under a total eclipse of the sun.
   7. Man o' Schwar Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM (#5517894)
There aren't any day games today are there? Too bad, I love the idea of baseball under a total eclipse of the sun.

Kind of feels like a missed marketing opportunity. Hand out team-branded eclipse glasses, stop the game for the peak of the eclipse, etc.

Kansas City and St. Louis are both at or near the 100% eclipse zone, around 1 PM in the afternoon. They could have started a Monday game at noon and had the eclipse stuff around the 3rd or 4th inning.
   8. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM (#5517900)
"Eclipse" is also a good word to use in the headline of a game report.
   9. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM (#5517907)
stop the game for the peak of the eclipse

Oh, FFS, we've got enough problems with the pace of play as it is - now they're going to stop the game every time there's an eclipse too??
   10. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM (#5517910)
John Henry Johnson

Before I had ever heard of Bill James, John Henry Johnson started teaching me about sabremetrics. Or at least got me thinking about stats that were important and ones that weren't.

Once upon a time, I had the 1980 season version of Avalon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball. Back then, my 18 year old self knew the lineups and key pitchers on every team. I began to be curious why some closers weren't as effictive in the game as other relievers on their teams. Bruce Sutter wasn't as effective as Bill Caudill. Steve Howe wasn't as effective as Joe Beckwith. And on the Rangers, it was John Henry Johnson, who was far more effective than the 2 proven closers on the team: Sparky Lyle and Jim Kern.
   11. BDC Posted: August 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM (#5517919)
Jim Kern once did an oral-history interview for one of my students. He told a story about the Texas bullpen in 1980. That was the worst summer on record, multiple days over 110° F.

The old Arlington Stadium didn't have a lot of amenities for players, but they served 48- or 64-oz. Coca-Colas in what amounted to ice-buckets to the fans. The relievers were parched and started trading baseballs to fans for these oversized Cokes.

By the final innings, one day, they had traded away all their baseballs. When he got the call from the dugout to warm up, Kern had to pantomime. He said the manager found out and fined him …
   12. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: August 21, 2017 at 01:28 PM (#5517949)
By the final innings, one day, they had traded away all their baseballs. When he got the call from the dugout to warm up, Kern had to pantomime.

Probably also had to piss like a racehorse.
   13. You're a clown, RMc! I'm tired of it! Posted: August 21, 2017 at 06:25 PM (#5518134)

Kind of feels like a missed marketing opportunity. Hand out team-branded eclipse glasses, stop the game for the peak of the eclipse, etc.

Liability. A friend of mine said that a school in Florida (they started classes last week) kept their kids inside, with the blinds drawn, until the eclipse had passed. Sure, it would've been fun to hand out solar glasses, but they were afraid some kid would use them improperly and be blinded, and then the parents would sue the school district.
   14. eric Posted: August 21, 2017 at 07:10 PM (#5518151)
I was lucky enough to be in the path of totality. As a result I can say this:

1) A total eclipse is 1000x better than any partial eclipse, even 99%, because you can look directly at it. The pictures really don't do it justice.
2) I think everyone owes it to themselves to add "see full solar eclipse" to their bucket list.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:12 PM (#5518259)
Every summer we go to Oldenburg, IN, where my dad spent his summers with his grandparents, for their Freudenfest festival. We get lots of extended family to come and use that as a family reunion. Oldenburg will be on the April, 2024 total eclipse path, so we are starting to make plans to meet there for the next eclipse. My Dad will have turned 100, we are hopeful that he will still be capable of traveling then.

Fun question Comcast sports: Which will occur first, the next Philly World Championship or next eclipse? I would bet on the eclipse, unfortunately. Tell me that Joel Embiid will average 70 games a year and I'd reverse my bet.
   16. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 21, 2017 at 11:13 PM (#5518260)
I had to take my Dad to a financial planning meeting during the eclipse, where I was it got overcast minutes after the eclipse started. The clouds broke up about 20 minutes before the end. I saw nothing.
   17. The Yankee Clapper Posted: August 22, 2017 at 12:16 AM (#5518277)

The Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, the Giants Class A farm team, seem to have followed the BBTF eclipse advice:
KEIZER, Ore -- Today's game between the Salem Keizer Volcanoes and Hillsboro Hops was delayed for 58 minutes after the top half of the first inning due to a total solar eclipse. At 10:15 a.m. PST, the stadium plunged into darkness and the crowd of 5,297 were left awestruck by the otherworldly spectacle. Eventually, the moon would move past the sun, the fans would remove their eclipse glasses, and play would resume.

Some eclipse gear in photos, perhaps still for sale.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.