Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, August 27, 2012

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-27-2012

...in which physical impairments lead to 1912-style hilarity.

Umpire Cy Rigler discusses a game without a single disagreement with a ballplayer, quoted in the August 27, 1912 edition of the El Paso Herald:

I had several close ones on the bases and even at the plate, decisions that might almost have been rendered either way, and yet not a yell from anybody…the players were the most gentlemanly, well-behaved, finely disciplined young men I ever saw.

“A fine game, Mr. Rigler, and the boys would thank you if they could.”

“If they could?” I asked, somewhat puzzled. “Well, why can’t they?”

“Why, Mr. Rigler,” said the old gentlemen, “didn’t you know that this game between these schools was between two deaf-mute academies, and that not a player in the two nines can say a word?”

Cue the credits.

The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 27, 2012 at 06:10 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 27, 2012 at 06:11 AM (#4218944)
Elsewhere 100 years ago:

The Tacoma Times reports on a one-armed pitcher in Chattanooga's Saturday Afternoon league. Ryner is batting .750, but "his fielding is not as good as if he had two hands."

A professor at the University of Nebraska says baseball is "the chief agent of American democracy and a moral uplifter", and that college sports "destroy the most important business of the institutions and threaten to bring on other evils more serious." Prescient much?

The New York Evening World reports that the Giants' $10,000 pitcher, Al Demaree, is also a talented cartoonist. I should say so.

The Toledo News-Bee reports Browns manager George Stovall has let it be known that he will not tolerate "ancient ball players, persecution by umpires, indifference in playing, and minor league talent", and that the Browns sold their best hitter, Frank LaPorte, because LaPorte isn't a fighter and a hustler. Stovall won't even make it through one full season as St. Louis manager.

And more on the red hot Bethlehem-Walkover Shoes rivalry from the Milwaukee Sentinel:
When Manager Raasche stated that the Shoes announced their game with the Bethlehems for last Saturday he must have been [illegible] about something otherwise than baseball matters, or he must have been out the night before...Furthermore, the Shoes are not afraid to publish their score in the papers, whether they win or lose.
   2. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: August 27, 2012 at 06:14 AM (#4218945)
It's never a good thing when your Birthday Team has more fun names than good pitchers. Darn good infield and a sneaky-good outfield, though.

C: Ed Herrmann
1B: Jim Thome
2B: Jose Vidro
3B/Manager: Buddy Bell
SS: Hal Janvrin
LF: Peanuts Lowrey
CF: Brian McRae
RF: Joe Cunningham

SP: Ernie Broglio
SP: Doc McJames
SP: Phil Collins
SP: Mike Maddux
SP: Cecil Ferguson
RP: Justin Miller

Fun Names: Dizzy Nutter, Bun Troy, Kitty Brashear, Scrappy Carroll, Baldy Louden
   3. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 27, 2012 at 08:07 AM (#4218970)
Buddy Bell, one day older than me. I cheered for his Dad as a kid in Cincinnati and booed (only in my heart) his son in Philly.
   4. God Posted: August 27, 2012 at 08:28 AM (#4218980)
   5. Mike Webber Posted: August 27, 2012 at 08:51 AM (#4218991)
A professor at the University of Nebraska says baseball is "the chief agent of American democracy and a moral uplifter", and that college sports "destroy the most important business of the institutions and threaten to bring on other evils more serious." Prescient much?

If anyone knows evil up close, it's a NU employee.
   6. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 27, 2012 at 09:50 AM (#4219025)
In honor of the Twins' all-time post-Washington record falling under .500 last week, it's 52 years from the Twins junk drawer, going over all the odds'n'ends and various peculiar/colorful moments from the days in Minnesota.

Also, today marks the 20th anniversary of the Mets trading Jeff Kent to Toronto for David Cone. I didn't even know Kent was a Blue Jay.
   7. charityslave is thinking about baseball Posted: August 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM (#4219034)
college sports "destroy the most important business of the institutions and threaten to bring on other evils more serious.

How many times have I screamed at my radio "HE'S A FRICKIN' COLLEGE KID WHO IS WORKING HARDER FOR THIS THAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE!!". Of course, I live in LSU country, so I have ample opportunity to do so.
   8. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: August 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM (#4219036)
The White Sox have won 24 of their last 28 against the Mariners.
   9. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM (#4219087)
Other notable birthdays today:

Downtown Julie Brown (53)
Pee-Wee Herman (60)
Mack Brown (61)
Sergeant Slaughter (63)
Harry Reems (65)
Tuesday Weld (69)
Chief Buthelezi (84)
Sir Donald Bradman, the cricket equivalent of Babe Ruth (104)
Nat Lofthouse, the soccer equivalent of Chuck Klein (87)
Man Ray (122)
James Henry Breasted, originator of the "Fertile Crescent" concept (147)
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (242)

Musical greats
Mario (26)
Felix Da Housecat (40)
Jimmy Pop Ali (40)
Alex Lifeson (58)
Daryl Dragon (70)
Cesaria Evora (71)
Sonny Sharrock (72)

Serial killer Paul Bernardo (48)
Serial killer Ed Gein (106)

THREE U.S. Vice Presidents:
Lyndon B. Johnson (104)
Charles Gates Dawes (147)
Hannibal Hamlin (203)
   10. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM (#4219099)
Sir Donald Bradman, the cricket equivalent of Babe Ruth

The two of them together. I'm not sure if there's a more impressive record in all of sports than Bradman's Test batting average of 99.94. He laps the field...
   11. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM (#4219108)
Game of the day (yesterday): Red Sox 8, Royals 6. Sigh... I have Sox fatigue.

Boston scored once in the first and once in the second against Will Smith. In the first, Pedro Ciriaco singled, Dustin Pedroia doubled him to third, and Cody Ross singled him home. In the second, Mauro Gomez walked and Mike Aviles knocked him in with a double. Meanwhile, Felix Doubront shut out the Royals for three innings, and recorded the first two outs in the fourth without anyone reaching base. But Johnny Giovatella, Eric Hosmer (who is having such a bad year that he's hitting behind Johnny Giovatella), and Tony Abreu then hit consecutive singles to bring in one run, and Lorenzo Cain homered to bring in three more.

The Sox rallied to tie in the fifth. Ciriaco homered with one out. Jacoby Ellsbury then singled, took second on a groundout and stole third. Ross walked behind him, and newly-acquired James Loney singled in Ellsbury with Boston's fourth run of the game. They added a fifth in the next inning, as Gomez reached on an error, Aviles singled him to second, and two outs later, Ellsbury knocked him in. In the seventh, they tacked on two more on singles by Ross and Ryan Lavarnway, a walk to Gomez, an ROE by Podsednik (Alcides Escobar's second error in as many innings), and an infield hit by Ciriaco.

Those two runs proved to be fortuitously timed, as the Royals picked up a pair of their own in the eighth. Billy Butler and Salvador Perez singled, and Jeff Francoeur walked to load the bases. Whether it was the fact that Pedro Beato had already thrown two innings or the walk to Francoeur that tipped him off, Bobby Valentine decided to replace Beato with Craig Breslow. Breslow fanned Giovatella, gave up a sac fly to Hosmer and an RBI single to Abreu to put the tying run on third, but caught Cain looking at strike 3 to end the inning. Pedroia led off the eighth with a homer, which meant that Alex Gordon's ninth-inning singled merely brought the tying run to the plate, rather than putting it on base.

Yesterday had one rainout and two other rain-shortened games; in particular, White Sox-Mariners was looking like a good one before the waterworks cut it short.
   12. Random Transaction Generator Posted: August 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4219173)
Serial killer Paul Bernardo (48)

He lived in my neighbourhood when I was a kid, and committed one of his rapes about 500 metres from my house.

Bernardo and Clifford Olson are the two most notorious murders in modern Canadian history.
   13. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4219183)
Game of the day (last year): Reds 4, Nationals 3. If it happened this year, this game would be a potential NLCS preview. Last year... well, let's just say it was started by Chien-Ming Wang and Dontrelle Willis.

Willis walked the first two Nats he faced in the top of the first, but ended the inning with the two of them left on second and third. Wang had a similar inning, also allowing two walks, although his came sandwiched around a steal. The first hit of the game was Danny Espinosa's leadoff double in the top of the second. He would later move up on a groundout, then watch Willis walk his pitching counterpart before Ian Desmond grounded out to leave runners on the corners. Cincinnati put the game's first run on the board in the third, as Todd Frazier reached on a Desmond error, took third on a hit by Willis, and scored on a single by Brandon Phillips.

Washington had a chance to counter in the third, as Brian Bixler reached on an error by Phillips and Michael Morse singled him to second. Bixler was thrown out stealing third, however, and the inning ended with Morse still on first. The fourth inning went rather better. Espinosa walked, Jonny Gomes singled him to second, and Wilson Ramos tagged a three-run homer that put the Nats in front.

The Reds put individual runners on in the fourth (two-out double by Willis) and fifth (one-out single by Joey Votto), but didn't get on the board again until the sixth. After Wang recorded the first two outs, Paul Janish walked, Willis singled him to second, and Phillips added a hit to cut Cincinnati's deficit in half. Willis worked around singles by Desmond and Bixler in the top of the seventh, after which Wang was replaced by Tom Gorzelanny. With one out, Gorzelanny walked Jay Bruce and allowed a single to Ramon Hernandez. Drew Stubbs took strike 3, but Frazier bailed him out with a game-tying single to center. Miguel Cairo came on to pinch hit for Janish, but struck out against the newly-inserted Todd Coffey.

Willis was pulled for Aroldis Chapman, which is understandable. Jayson Werth led off the eighth with a single, and moved to second on Espinosa's sac bunt. Gomes then walked, and Ramos hit into a force at second that moved the go-ahead run to third, but Jesus Flores grounded out to leave it there. The Reds mounted a nearly-identical rally in the bottom of the inning, with a leadoff walk by Dave Sappelt, a sac bunt by Phillips (really?), and a single by Edgar Renteria putting runners at the corners with one away. Sean Burnett recovered, however, and struck out Votto and Bruce to preserve the tie.

Francisco Cordero came on for the top of the ninth; he allowed a hit to Desmond and a sac bunt that moved him to second before retiring the side. Collin Ballester retired Ryan Hanigan leading off the ninth, but then Stubbs, Frazier, and Cairo hit consecutive singles to break the tie and end the game.

Since D-Train has now retired (I think I'm remembering that, anyway), this is a decent opportunity to look at him. This was a good start, better than most that he had at the end of his career (even if he did walk 5 guys). It was not, however, his last quality start, nor the last game his team won when he started; those were both in his final start about a month later. Nor did the game feature his last hit - he actually had three more after this one, including another double (he hit .387 for the season, and slugged .645).

So... this is Dontrelle Willis's last multi-hit game in the majors. It's also a game in which the teams combined to strand 25 runners on base, and went 6/27 with RISP (including 1/13 by the Nats, the only hit being Ramos's homer).
   14. FrankM Posted: August 27, 2012 at 01:57 PM (#4219240)
#6 - it was the other way around. The Mets traded Cone for Kent, who came up in the Blue Jays system.
   15. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 27, 2012 at 07:56 PM (#4219619)
Lew Ford just hit a home run.

Yes, that Lew Ford. First MLB homer since 2007.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Sheer Tim Foli
for his generous support.