Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-28-2014

Pittsburgh Press, August 28, 1914:

If the Venice Tigers bring home the bacon next season the Maier ball park will be exempt from taxation, is the conclusion of the board of equalization, which was reached today when Eddie Maier, owner of the park, appeared before the board and requested the exemption. On the other hand, the board said that if the Tigers failed to come home with the pennant next year, the tax would be raised, instead of suspended.

Ouch. Anyway, Venice/Vernon didn’t win the PCL flag until 1919, when they were owned by (of all people) Fatty Arbuckle.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 28, 2014 at 09:39 AM | 18 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 28, 2014 at 09:42 AM (#4780691)
Today's Birthday Team features three of the players who made it possible for the '78 Yankees to win the AL East: Ron Guidry, Lou Piniella, and Mike Torrez.

C: Tom Satriano
1B/Bench Coach: Charlie Grimm
2B: Aaron Ward
3B: Joel Youngblood
LF/Manager: Lou Piniella
CF: Dode Paskert
RF: Tony Gonzalez

SP: Ron Guidry
SP: Mike Torrez
SP: Tommy Hanson
SP: Randy Wells
SP/SS: Joe Yeager
RP: Ryan Madson

Spare Bench Bat: Carlos Quentin
Defensive Replacement: Darren Lewis
Fun Names: Buck Hooker, Braggo Roth, Goody Rosen

Braggo Roth's SABR biography is a fun read. Roth, as you might guess from the nickname, was a giant pain in the butt who wore out his welcome everywhere he ever played with his constant attempts at self-promotion. In an amazing bit of irony, he suffered an untimely death when the car he was riding in was plowed into by...a newspaper truck. Even in Roth's death, newspapers played a role.
   2. Tom Nawrocki Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM (#4780704)
I think I'd have Jolly Cholly manage and let Sweet Lou be the bench coach/hitting instructor. Grimm had a higher win percentage as a manager, and won more pennants than Piniella, while managing almost as long (19 years to 23).
   3. Dag Nabbit is a cornucopia of errors Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:43 AM (#4780744)
1881 Dode Paskert born
1884 NYG pitcher Mickey Welch fans the first 9 CLE hitters to face him
1898 Charlie Grimm born
1899 Jesse Burkett hits 2 inside the park HR
1903 STB & Clev has their train derail in OH - Lajoie’s knee sprained, 2 others injured. None die
1907 Fred Clarke ejected for challenging a fan to a fight
1907 MLB debut: Tex Neuer, NYY. 1-0 win over BOX. I month career: 6 CG, 4 W, 3 SHO - that’s it.
1909 Dolly Gray walks 8 CWS batters in 2nd inning; 7 in a row
1913 end of Walter Johnson’s 14 game winning streak; BOX 1, WAS 0 (11)
1916 Heinie Zimmerman traded by Cubs to Giants for Larry Doyle and 2 others
1918 Tris Speaker assaults ump John Connolly over a call at home plate in CLE-PHA game. Suspended rest of year
1919 MLB debut: Bucky Harris
1921 Jimmy Dykes handles 17 chances at 2B for PHA
1924 200 triples: Tris Speaker. Last man to clear this barrier
1924 Goose Goslin hits for the cycle. HR an inside the park one
1924 MLB debut: Chick Hafey
1925 Kiki Cuyler hits 2 inside the park HR in one game
1926 Dutch Levsen, Cle, beats BOX 6-1, 5-1 in both game in DH. 24th & last pitcher to do this. No K’s all day
1930 Last of 10 multi-HR games for Harry Heilmann
1930 The greatest Cub-Cardinal game of all-time
1932 BOX 4, CLE 3 (11). Scheduled for 8/31, but will be an eclipse that day (sure enough, Fenway dark for 20 minutes on 8/31)
1933 100 triples: Charlie Gehringer
1936 Freddie Fitzsimmons’s best start: 13 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K. Game Score 92
1936 pitcher Johnny Murphy goes 5-for-5 w/ 5 RBIs. Win 19-4
1936 ump Don Denkinger born
1937 BRK suspends Van Mungo indeeinately for insurbordination: rejects trainer’s program for his sore arm
1938 Connie Mack Day at Shibe Park: PHA sweep doubleheader from CWS. It’s PHA’s 7th twin bill in 8 days
1939 1st of 2 times Joe DiMaggio gets 8 RBIs in a game, his career high
1939 Charlie Root balks for the first time in over 12 years (since 7-13-27, which was well over 2,000 IP ago)
1939 Charlie Root wins his 189th game as CHC. Passes Mordecai Brown as franchise leader. Still is
1939 Jeff Heath, CLE, punches taunting fan leaning over the railing
1940 CHC recall Dizzy Dean from Dallas
1940 Ray Brown, Homestead Grays, wins his 27th straight game
1943 Lou Piniella born
1945 17-yr-old Tommy Brown, BRK, steals home vs PHI—youngest to do it
1945 Branch Rickey & scout Clyde Sukeforth meet w/ Jackie Robinson “I want a player w/ the guts not to fight back”
1946 Mike Torrez born
1948 Stan Musial hits his 2nd walk-off HR in 3 days
1949 Richie Ashburn, PHI, breaks finger on right hand
1950 Earle & Roy Mack buy 54% interest in PHA from Connie Mack Jr, their younger half-brother.
1950 Ron Guidry born
1951 Howei Pollet’s 3-hitter ends NYG’s 16 game winning streak
1952 CIN trades Ewell Blackwell to NYY for 4 players & $35,000
1952 Robin Roberts begins streak of 28 consecutive CG
1956 NYG sign 17-year-old Mike McCormick to bonus contract
1957 Best known WPA relief stint in BRK/LA history: Ed Roebuck: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 6 K. 1.132 WPA
1959 Art Ditmar tosses CG SHO & hits a HR. 2-hitter
1960 BAL up 3-1 on CWS, Klu hits apparent 3-run HR in top8th -but ump says he called time. Sox lose 3-1
1963 WAS-MIN game cancelled for second straight day for massive civil rights movement
1965 last game: Harvey Haddix
1967 BOX signs free agent Hawk Harrelson
1967 MLB debut: Johnny Bench
1968 Bobby Bonds draws a walk-off walk
1968 HOU arrive in Chicago just in title for Battle of MI Avenue. Larry Dierker & others see it from their hotel rooms
1969 Bowie Kuhn announces publication of baseball encyclopedia - and holds up copy of the 6.5 pound book
1970 200 wins: Juan Marichal 200-97. One of only 4 liveball pitchers to do this: he, Grove, Ford, & Pedro
1970 Denny McLain dumps water buckets on 2 Detroit writers, in what he says is a joke
1970 last game: Tony Horton, to be hospitalized for depression
1970 Leo Durocher ejected for throwing a ball in the dugout
1971 Rick Wise hits 2 HR in game, one a slam.
1971 Ron Santo Day at Wrigley: he first publicly announces he has diabetes
1978 SEA-BOX game has 16 extra base hits: BOX win 10-9
1979 LA releases Andy Messersmith
1980 Ryan Madson born
1982 Carlos Quentin born
1983 ATL trades Brett Butler & Brook Jacoby to CLE for Len Barker
1983 Keith Hernandez’s last SH. Has 3,536 more PA to go
1983 Last game: Cesar Geronimo
1985 MLB debut: Todd Worrell
1985 Pete Rose receives walk-off walk. 2nd of 2 in his career
1986 O’s run like crazy: 7-for-7 in steals vs. Oakland. Only time a Weaver team over 5 stolen bases. Only time Cal Ripken steals 2 bases in a game
1987 Fred Lynn hits pinch-hit, walk-off solo HR
1989 1st ever matchup up of dueling defending Cy Young Award winners: NYM (F.Viola) 1, LAD (O.Hershiser) 0.
1989 Rick Reuschel allows 7 hits - ALL DOUBLES
1989 Tommy Lasorda ejected for throwing the resin bag and his cap
1990 Edgar Martinez’s ONLY walk-off HR. It’s his 13th career HR
1990 Frank Thomas’s 1st HR
1990 Larry Jackson dies
1992 last game: Jack Clark
1992 31 hits for MIL
1993 NYM sign Kirk Presley, cousin of THE Presley
1996 ANA trades Chili Davis to KCR for Mark Gubiza and another player
1996 PIT trades Denny Neagle to ATL for 2 guys and PTBNL. The PTBNL will be Jason Schmidt
1996 STL releases Mike Morgan
1997 I-Rod’s only SH between 9-1-93 & 6-14-02
1997 Mike Piazza steals 2 bases in a game. Only time.
1998 600 doubles: Paul Molitor
2000 Players Asoc exercises its option to extend the CBA, enduring labor peace through the end of 2001 season
2002 Odalis Perez HR, team wins 1-0. 1st time that’s happened since 1983. Only tosses 7 IP
2005 Cubs retire Ryne Sandberg’s number, 23
2009 8th walkoff HR for Albert Pujols
2009 ANA acquires Scott Kazmir from TBD
2009 Ari trades Jon Ruch to MIN
2012 6 SHO in baseball. CWS get just 2 infield singles in theirs. 15 games in all.
2012 PIT release Erik Bedard
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM (#4780749)

BBRef says this was on October 28. I definitely remember it being an off-season move.
   5. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4780752)

BBRef says this was on October 28. I definitely remember it being an off-season move.

Davis's gamelogs also show him playing for Anaheim the entire season, including 20 games in September.
   6. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM (#4780753)
2009 Ari trades Jon Rauch to MIN
Gosh, I'd have bet anything we picked him up from the Nationals. Who am I thinking of?
   7. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM (#4780762)
Gosh, I'd have bet anything we picked him up from the Nationals. Who am I thinking of?

Matt Capps.
   8. Ziggy Posted: August 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM (#4780777)
The box score for that Cards/Cubs game is definitely worth a look. I especially like Johnson coming in to pitch the 8th inning and then throwing 12 innings in relief. And that Cubs team has a surprising number of hall of famers for being, you know, the Cubs. (Even if Kelly is only in as a Frisch crony.)
   9. esseff Posted: August 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM (#4780851)
I don't know about starting Joel Youngblood at third base. You're likely to end up with 37 errors in the equivalent of three-fourths of a season and 96 losses. (To be fair to Youngblood, only 36 of the errors were while playing third.)
   10. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2014 at 12:44 PM (#4780867)
#7--Ah, thanks.
   11. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM (#4780883)
That's a reasonable criticism, esseff.

If Youngblood doesn't start, the job falls to Shane Andrews, who I've always admired for taking a skill set that was slightly below average at nearly every part of a baseball player's job and turning it into a 7-year MLB career. He had real power, but otherwise, he was almost adequate at everything. I'm not being snarky - there are a zillion guys (Andy Tracy comes to mind) who could have had the exact same career, but Andrews put himself in a position to make a couple million bucks. Good for him.
   12. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 28, 2014 at 01:45 PM (#4780911)
For Royals Retro:

The secret to Salvador Perez's success

Perez: The umpires. They awesome. They're all my friends. (...)I use perfume. I don't know if you know that... I use perfume. All the umpires like that.

Interviewer: You...you wear perfume? Like women's perfume? What do you wear.

Perez: Sometimes Victoria's Secret. I learned it from Alcides, because everytime he plays, he wears Victoria's Secret. So one day I said "Alcides, let me try it." So in the first inning, the umpire says, "You smell good, Salvy." And I said "Thank you." And that game I hit a ball and everything so I start to use it every day.
   13. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 28, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4780994)
I don't know about starting Joel Youngblood at third base. You're likely to end up with 37 errors in the equivalent of three-fourths of a season and 96 losses. (To be fair to Youngblood, only 36 of the errors were while playing third.)

Hey now, go easy on the only Major Leaguer born on the same day as me.
   14. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 28, 2014 at 05:04 PM (#4781114)
The Game of 8/27/84 was a fun one. One of the teams got excellent production from each of three Hall of Fame-quality players, but absolutely nothing from anyone else, including a career worst WPA from a 15-year player. The other team had a player get his only career RBI, which ended up providing them with the winning margin.
   15. mcauliffe Posted: August 28, 2014 at 06:31 PM (#4781168)
Joel Youngblood.... That's tough. At least I have Lou Gehrig (and Jerry Reuss)
   16. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 28, 2014 at 07:31 PM (#4781209)
The Game of 8/27/14 featured the team with the worst offense of 2014, and proved that even a lineup as bad as this one can have an out-of-nowhere career year, in which this game was a highlight.

On the other hand, it also establishes that one out-of-nowhere career year does not mean automatic alleviation of team-wide ineptitude.
   17. bobm Posted: August 28, 2014 at 07:54 PM (#4781215)
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-10-29/sports/sp-58846_1_kansas-city

Angels Trade Davis for Pitcher Gubicza

Baseball: Veteran hitter is sent to Kansas City. Club also moves closer to hiring manager.
October 29, 1996|MIKE DiGIOVANNA | TIMES STAFF WRITER

The Angels began their winter renovation project--the one involving the team, not the stadium, uniforms or cheerleaders--by trading designated hitter Chili Davis to the Kansas City Royals Monday for veteran pitcher Mark Gubicza and double-A pitcher Mike Bovee.

The team has also narrowed its search for a manager, bringing Baltimore batting instructor Rick Down, former Houston manager Terry Collins and former New York Met third-base coach Mike Cubbage back for second interviews.

All three candidates met this past week with Angel President Tony Tavares, as did former Cincinnati and Detroit manager Sparky Anderson, who bypassed the initial interview process with Angel executives and proceeded directly to Tavares, the Disney Sports Enterprises president.

Jimy Williams, the Atlanta Braves' third base coach, will be interviewed Wednesday or Thursday, and the Angels could have a new manager by the end of this week or early next week.

The hiring of a manager has been the Angels' No. 1 priority, but they still found time Monday to swing a deal that won't vault the team into playoff contention but has good long-term implications for the franchise.

Gubicza, a 34-year-old right-hander, is a two-time American League all-star whose career has been marred by injuries the last six years--he missed half of the 1990 season because of a partial tear of his rotator cuff, half of 1992 because of shoulder inflammation and half of 1996 because of a broken leg.

An ace, Gubicza isn't. But the Angels didn't acquire Gubicza with visions of the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder solving the team's pitching woes.

The benefit for the Angels may not be so much what they got, but what they no longer have--an aging, lead-footed DH whose presence was blocking the paths of younger prospects and whose $3.8-million salary put a major strain on the team's budget.

The Angels have agreed to pay a portion of Davis' 1997 salary--a figure believed to be $400,000--but with Gubicza signed through 1997 at $1.6 million, the Angels have freed up more than $1 million to pursue other players through trades and free agency.

Davis' departure will also enable the Angels to rotate the DH spot among outfielders Tim Salmon, Jim Edmonds, Garret Anderson and Darin Erstad, and the addition of Erstad will add much-needed speed to the lead-off spot.

"Our goal is to add pitching wherever we can find it," General Manager Bill Bavasi said. "We would like to play the four young outfielders and free up some money to do something elsewhere, and to do all those things we paid a price."

Indeed, Davis has been a fixture in the heart of the Angel lineup for four seasons, averaging 25 homers and 94 runs batted in. He was the Angels' most consistent offensive player in 1996, batting .292 with 28 homers and 95 RBIs.

The loss of the switch-hitter may leave the Angels vulnerable against good left-handed pitchers--Erstad, Edmonds and Anderson are lefties, and first baseman J.T. Snow, a switch-hitter, has had little success against left-handers. And there will be one less veteran leader in a clubhouse short on leaders.

"At my age, and with the time I've played and the time I have left, it's nice to know someone wants you," said Davis, a 15-year veteran who has also played for San Francisco and Minnesota and will be 37 next season. "I've always told young guys that to get traded is not an insult. It's a business, and things are done for the purpose of the whole, not an individual."

Gubicza went 4-12 with a 5.13 earned-run average last season, which ended when a Paul Molitor line drive broke his left tibia on July 5. He went 12-14 with a 3.75 ERA in 1995.

Gubicza spent much of the summer in a cast, but the 13-year veteran, who played his entire career with the Royals, has been riding a stationary bike, working out on a stair-climbing machine and lifting weights.

"The leg feels great," said Gubicza, who could have vetoed the deal as a player with 10 years experience, five with the same team. "I'm pretty excited. The Angels have a good, young team, and hopefully I'll be able to help them out."
   18. The District Attorney Posted: August 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM (#4781287)
Bill James has an interesting paysite article about how to define "old" vs. young" player skills. The categories he ultimately settles on are, in order of how heavily he weighs each:

1) Triples as a percentage of balls in play
2) Walk to Strikeout ratio
3) Stolen Base Attempt Frequency
4) Strikeouts Relative to Home Runs
5) Walk Rate
6) Runs Scored as a Percentage of Times on Base/Not Home Run
7) Grounded into Double Play Rate
8) Strikeout Rate

As you'd probably guess, a larger number in #1, 3, 4, 6 and 8 indicates "younger" skills, whereas a larger number in #2, 5 and 7 indicates "older" skills. (Well, #8 might surprise you, but James does in fact find that "strikeouts decrease with experience somewhat longer than they increase, so that to the extent you can use strikeouts as an indicator of age, strikeouts indicate youth, rather than age.")

After doing a matched study, he concludes:
the central fact of "aging" in baseball is that quality equals survival.   Those players who are able to play until they are 40 years old, 90% of the time, are simply the best players... Those players who are most exceptional are also, of course, those players whose skills mature at an early age.    The rules which govern exceptional players are not the same as those which govern ordinary players... This is a secondary effect that we’re dealing with here, an "ordinary players" effect—but it is not a small effect, either.   Given a certain and known level of ability—superstar compared to superstar, or bench guy compared to bench guy--you’re better off with a player with young player’s skills than a player with old player’s skills.   The "Young Skills" group, in this study, played 11% more games in the remainder of their careers... What it comes down to, really, is defense.    The fast player who loses a step is still fast enough to play the outfield.   The slow player who loses a step steps over a line; now he is just too slow.   That’s really the main advantage of young player’s skills.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Infinite Joost (Voxter)
for his generous support.