Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, August 08, 2014

Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 8-8-2014

Pittsburgh Press, August 8, 1914:

“Dolly” Grey [sic], a catcher, was more or less forcibly taken from his home in Hastings [Michigan] and brought to Kalamazoo to catch for the local South Michigan club yesterday. Kalamazoo was without a catcher, and Grey did not want to come. He was rushed [to Kalamazoo] by an auto and consented to catch.

Pretty sure it’s illegal to kidnap catchers, even when you really need one.

Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 08, 2014 at 08:34 AM | 21 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: abducting an emergency catcher, dolly gray, dugout, history

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 08, 2014 at 08:37 AM (#4766922)
A really good top-to-bottom lineup on today's Birthday Team.

If there was a sitcom based on these guys, one of the subplots would be Ivy Leaguers Ohlendorf, Breslow, and Cypert mocking Donny Lucy for 'only' going to Stanford: "What's the matter, Lucy, you couldn't even get into Cornell?"

C: Jocko Milligan
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Cupid Childs
3B: Johnny Temple
SS: Cecil Travis
LF: Al Woods
CF: Jose Cruz Sr.
RF/Manager: Frank Howard

SP: Ken Raffensberger
SP: Toad Ramsey
SP: Ken Holloway
SP: Ray Fontenot
SP: Ross Ohlendorf
RP: Tot Pressnell

General Manager: Doug Melvin
Yale Graduate: Craig Breslow
Harvard Law Graduate: Al Cypert
Million Dollar Arm: Rinku Singh
Fun Name: John Slappey
   2. Rennie's Tenet Posted: August 08, 2014 at 09:36 AM (#4766967)
If there was a sitcom based on these guys

Ben Davidson was in Jim Bouton's Ball Four sitcom, so that pretty much establishes the Frank Howard character. Cecil Travis would relate everything to the Battle of the Bulge, like the guy on F Troop who was always flashing back to the Alamo. You hate to think what they'd do with Rinku Singh.
   3. Batman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:22 AM (#4767003)
I never noticed before that the birthday guys get a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" next to their age on bb-ref. Just the living ones though, not Jocko or Cupid.
   4. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:33 AM (#4767009)
3 - I hadn't either, is that new?
2 - Cute, Rennie.
   5. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 08, 2014 at 10:34 AM (#4767010)
The other cool thing they've just added to BB-Ref is on a team's Franchise History page you now get a list of pictures of their All-Time Top 20 players by career WAR, with links to each player's career stats. Pretty damn cool, if you ask me.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 11:29 AM (#4767051)
Its crazy that Mike Trout is already 11th all-time in Angels history. He just turned 23 yesterday.
   7. BDC Posted: August 08, 2014 at 12:14 PM (#4767110)
OK, my impressions of seeing a game in Cleveland (8/1, Indians 12, Rangers 2). What's now called Progressive Field is a very pleasant place (except for the logo and other caricatures, for which see the Ohio legislature thread). The downtown area that includes the Cavs' arena and hotel and restaurant districts is nice for tourists, which I was. The view of the skyline is famous and justly impressive. It's an HOK ballpark, of course, so generic, and at times I might as well have been in Arlington, though Progressive is more open, less noisy, and of course on a Great Lake instead of a blasted prairie.

Before the game there was a ceremony honoring broadcaster Tom Hamilton. I got to hear Hamilton call a game while I was driving across Ohio later that weekend, and he's really excellent. Sense of humor, not afraid of silences, can be loud or soft as the situation warrants, sustains interesting conversations with his partner Jim Rosenhaus. I wish I could hear more of his broadcasts. The ceremony included some Indians fan favorites, including Jim Thome (to be statuized later that weekend), Kenny Lofton, Mike Hargrove, Charlie Manuel, and others.

I ate dollar hotdogs with Bertman's mustard. That is weird stuff. Gluey and beige. It has an umami taste and high specific gravity. I don't know what's in it and don't want to.

Beer: I tried Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Lager, and Portside 216 APA, both on tap, and there were several other local options, including locally distilled spirits. Outstanding selection and quality.

The baseball was terrible, a succession of Cleveland batters drubbing the Rangers staff. But the other games of the series (a Cleveland sweep) were closer and more exciting, and I just drew the lousy one. No regrets, it was great fun.
   8. Batman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 12:24 PM (#4767118)
Trout is fifth in Angels history in WAA, and second among position players. He's .2 WAA behind Weaver and Ryan, who are tied for third.
   9. BDC Posted: August 08, 2014 at 01:12 PM (#4767160)
Oh, and the Indians give out free a small paper program when you enter the park. Mostly ads, but I really did follow the players with the rosters provided, and got some other useful information. Nice gesture, rather than soaking you $5 for a fat magazine that has no more information and far more ads.
   10. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: August 08, 2014 at 02:17 PM (#4767215)
RHP Jacob Turner to the Cubs for RHP Tyler Bremer and RHP Jose Arias
   11. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: August 08, 2014 at 02:54 PM (#4767250)
Cubs DFA Ryan Kalish to make room for Turner.
   12. vortex of dissipation Posted: August 08, 2014 at 03:44 PM (#4767313)

The Dolly Gray linked on BR:

1) Spelled his name Gray, not Grey as in the article.
2) Was a pitcher, not a catcher.
3) Was left-handed.
4) Was managing Sherman in the Texas-Oklahoma League in 1914.

I doubt it's the same guy.
   13. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 08, 2014 at 03:47 PM (#4767315)
You're right, Vortex.

I saw Dolly Gray's BB-Ref page, saw that he was originally from Michigan and played in MLB a few years before 1914, and made an ass out of me and me. It's more likely to have been this one. Weirdly, he's from the same county in the Upper Peninsula as Pitcher Dolly Gray.
   14. Batman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4767317)
There is this Grey.

He got his revenge when the Kalamazoo Kazoos didn't return in 1915. Kalamazoo didn't have another team until the Celery Pickers in 1920.
   15. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: August 08, 2014 at 03:49 PM (#4767320)
...and then there was the time I was wrong twice about the same thing in the same thread. Great catch, Batman.

I'll show myself to Arkham.
   16. Batman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 03:56 PM (#4767338)
It's more likely to have been this one.
Apparently that Dolly Gray is the reason George Gipp went to Notre Dame.
   17. just plain joe Posted: August 08, 2014 at 04:20 PM (#4767371)
He got his revenge when the Kalamazoo Kazoos didn't return in 1915. Kalamazoo didn't have another team until the Celery Pickers in 1920.

They just don't name teams like they used to. One can only imagine what the "Celery Pickers" logo looked like, or the "Kazoos" for that matter.
   18. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 08, 2014 at 05:08 PM (#4767415)
The Game of 8/7/84 included the same two teams as the Game of 8/6, with the same team winning by the same margin, but it had the benefit of two extra innings. It was also a game that you could easily mistake for 2014 baseball, if not for the fact that it included a top-grade performance from a really good '80s player and a nasty bit of flash forward to a famous loss that was still in the future at this point.
   19. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:03 PM (#4767511)
The Game of 8/7/14 was a good sign for one of the league's better teams, as one of its more disappointing players so far this season had a pretty good day. Also: reliever batting in extra innings! (The reliever in question has 20 at bats in the last 4 seasons, all of which have been spent exclusively in the bullpen; that seems like an awfully high total for the 2010s.)
   20. Walt Davis Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:36 PM (#4767532)

Only if you cross state lines.

Pretty good birthday lineup today.
   21. Batman Posted: August 08, 2014 at 07:51 PM (#4767537)
The birthday left-fielder hit a home run in his first MLB plate appearance. It was also the Blue Jays' first game ever, their first pinch-hit, and their first home run among people who weren't Doug Ault. Five and a half years later, they traded him to the A's for Cliff Johnson. Woods was released during Spring Training and then re-signed with Toronto, while Johnson had two really good years with the Blue Jays. When Johnson left as a free agent, the Blue Jays got Tom Henke as compensation. Then the Rangers traded Johnson back to Toronto for nobodies (although two of them were named Mays and Williams.) Later, they got Chris Carpenter as compensation for losing Henke. Carpenter was pretty good for the Jays for a while but they released him before he went to St. Louis and became Chris Carpenter.

All in all, the existence of Al Woods was good for the Blue Jays.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Id of SugarBear Blanks
for his generous support.